Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

:laffo:

quote:

The notification was triggered by the net.oneplus.push system app which was added with a recent system update. The app cannot be disabled and notifications cannot be turned off. The notification also can't be simply swiped away. You have to expand the notification and tap on the "dismiss" button to get rid of it.
Yes, this was the first instance of OnePlus using this system. But the UX is just annoying, with no way to opt out. We can only hope that they don't abuse the system and push ads for every new OP5 color variant, random deals or accessories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just imagine when Android O comes out and they can make it a special color so you know it's important!

(On the OnePlus 6 because the OnePlus 5 will be abandoned by then.)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

quote:

The notification was triggered by the net.oneplus.push system app which was added with a recent system update. The app cannot be disabled and notifications cannot be turned off. The notification also can't be simply swiped away. You have to expand the notification and tap on the "dismiss" button to get rid of it.

b-b-b-but the ram

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
It's so scummy I have to tip my hat to them. It's probably a very effective tool as well, since OP customers are probably more likely to catch Spec Lust from the exposure.

OnePlus knows their demographic perfectly and can just go back to the well as often as they'd like.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 21, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Never Subtle

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I don't know if there is a thread for TV...

So my Nexus Player refused to sync to the remote, or rather it would but then immediately forget. My gf and I would then use the remote control app on our phones, but now that won't connect either.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Merkinman posted:

I don't know if there is a thread for TV...

So my Nexus Player refused to sync to the remote, or rather it would but then immediately forget. My gf and I would then use the remote control app on our phones, but now that won't connect either.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3561652

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Just in case anyone wants to try it out again, there have been updates to both Nova Launcher and that companion APK, so swipe to the left for Google Now is working a lot more reliably for me now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just in case anyone wants to try it out again, there have been updates to both Nova Launcher and that companion APK, so swipe to the left for Google Now is working a lot more reliably for me now.

I expected to have trouble but mine worked perfectly on the last version. :shrug:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
:tipshat:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ColdPie posted:

God, the original Moto X was so loving good. You don't realize how good it was until you have to use a different phone. If current Android still supported it, I'd honestly buy one off ebay now and resell this Pixel.

The old battery on mine made it annoying to use away from a power source on my bike tour across Japan, but otherwise I'm gonna be sad about replacing it with the new Pixel later this year. The phone holder on my bike failed and my phone slipped out and cartwheeled down the highway at 60kph, but other than the corners being beat to poo poo the screen and function is perfectly fine.

I know glass and metal cases look nice, but you can't beat the durability and feel of good plastic.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Yeah, plastic feels just so much better to hand than glass or aluminum, especially in colder weather. Luckily you can wrap your one plus to a plastic case and problem is solved.

BlackTie
Oct 23, 2008
I'm moving abroad in a couple of months and will need a dual SIM phone. There's a lot of chinese phones out there with this, but I'd rather get a dual SIM variant of one from the regular manufacturers. I have in mind the LG V20 or a G6, preferably the V20 since it's around €100 cheaper and has a removable battery (My Nexus 5 is on its 3rd one). Does anyone have any thoughts about these phones?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BlackTie posted:

I'm moving abroad in a couple of months and will need a dual SIM phone. There's a lot of chinese phones out there with this, but I'd rather get a dual SIM variant of one from the regular manufacturers. I have in mind the LG V20 or a G6, preferably the V20 since it's around €100 cheaper and has a removable battery (My Nexus 5 is on its 3rd one). Does anyone have any thoughts about these phones?

Pretty sure the Moto G5/G5+ is dual SIM on the international version and unlike an LG it won't stop working for no reason at all.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

So good news thread: I convinced my mom to upgrade her Galaxy S2 (maybe S3? I can't be sure) to a Moto G5+. It's in the mail and arriving tomorrow. Great. However my mom is worried about contacts moving over, so I tried to get her set up on the Google contacts app but it's not compatible with her phone. Is there an easy (preferably built in) way to move contacts from the Samsung contacts app to Google's cloud? If not built in, what app on the Play store could work and not be scummy, keeping in mind I think her phone is on 4.4.2.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Go to the accounts section under settings and make sure that contacts are being synced for the Google account, that should be enough to do it

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Coxswain Balls posted:

The old battery on mine made it annoying to use away from a power source on my bike tour across Japan, but otherwise I'm gonna be sad about replacing it with the new Pixel later this year. The phone holder on my bike failed and my phone slipped out and cartwheeled down the highway at 60kph, but other than the corners being beat to poo poo the screen and function is perfectly fine.

I know glass and metal cases look nice, but you can't beat the durability and feel of good plastic.

The battery isn't trivial to replace, but it's not super hard either. I've actually got a brand new 2013 Moto X battery I never finished installing if you want to pay to ship it. You'll also need a new case back and a high quality T3 bit.

I bought the silicone Pixel case. Here's hoping it adds grip without adding too much bulk.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

Go to the accounts section under settings and make sure that contacts are being synced for the Google account, that should be enough to do it

Yep this is all you need. One step.

When you say 'Google contacts app is not compatible' I'm confused and I assume you mean some kind of Samsung contacts app? No one should be using a manufacturer contact app in the first place for this exact reason.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Blue Train posted:

Do this and check http://contacts.google.com to make sure they're synced.

If it doesn't work, you might have manually change each contact to sync with Google in the contacts app.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

nimper posted:

Do this and check http://contacts.google.com to make sure they're synced.

If it doesn't work, you might have manually change each contact to sync with Google in the contacts app.

You can also export the contacts file and move it over manually through google drive to the new phone.

The new phone, not being a samsung, will sync it with google properly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's better than specs? Specs that are lies.

http://phandroid.com/2017/06/22/oneplus-5-optical-zoom/amp/

One Plus 5 does not have a 2x optical zoom as claimed. It's a 1.6x optical zoom with the remaining 0.4x being digital.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

FistEnergy posted:

Yep this is all you need. One step.

When you say 'Google contacts app is not compatible' I'm confused and I assume you mean some kind of Samsung contacts app? No one should be using a manufacturer contact app in the first place for this exact reason.

No, I sent my mom a link to the regular Android contacts app and she said the Play store wouldn't let her download it because it isn't compatible with her phone. I'm going over to her house tomorrow or maybe tonight if I feel like it (her phone arrived a couple hours ago) and I'll check her Samsung settings again. I didn't really have time the other day when I was poking around but now I know what to look for, thanks.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.
Haha this is juicy..

https://9to5google.com/2017/06/21/oneplus-cheating-benchmarks-despite-warnings/

OnePlus' statement on this is ridiculous, they know exactly what the gently caress they are doing. But you can't reason yourself around a Pixel engineer when even he indirectly calls you out on your bullshit, multiple times.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good thread title in light of this new unsurprising news.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

False Toaster posted:

Haha this is juicy..

OnePlus' statement on this is ridiculous, they know exactly what the gently caress they are doing. But you can't reason yourself around a Pixel engineer when even he indirectly calls you out on your bullshit, multiple times.

Well, by the time someone smokes their OP5 from overheating, it'll already be unsupported and there will be new OnePlus hotness on the market with even more RAM. Check and mate. :smugdog:

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well, by the time someone smokes their OP5 from overheating, it'll already be unsupported and there will be new OnePlus hotness on the market with even more RAM. Check and mate. :smugdog:

And it'll be ok with everybody because they're a "small company". Let's cut them some slack yeah?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just glue heatsinks to the back of your phone duh

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Endless Mike posted:

Just glue heatsinks to the back of your phone duh
:same: but with style :c00l:
http://www.mogear.com.tw/web_en/index.html

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The OnePlus and Shoplifting subreddits are my 2 new guilty pleasures

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

You joke but there was someone a while back who retrofitted a laptop heatsink and fan to their phone. It was some SD810 device I believe.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

False Toaster posted:

Haha this is juicy..

Lmao they're trying to emulate samsung

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cage-free egghead posted:

It was some SD810 device I believe.

I don't know what you mean the SD810 is fine *burns hand on back of Z5*

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

FAUXTON posted:

Lmao they're trying to emulate samsung

Their Oppo parent are also selling mediocre midrangers at near Samsung flagships prices too :lol:

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

MikeJF posted:

I don't know what you mean the SD810 is fine *burns hand on back of Z5*

My 6P only gets hot when I'm using it, so that's nice

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Humerus posted:

No, I sent my mom a link to the regular Android contacts app and she said the Play store wouldn't let her download it because it isn't compatible with her phone. I'm going over to her house tomorrow or maybe tonight if I feel like it (her phone arrived a couple hours ago) and I'll check her Samsung settings again. I didn't really have time the other day when I was poking around but now I know what to look for, thanks.

The Samsung Contacts app already has Google integration built in, it's likely that back in the S2 days Google sync wasn't on by default. In that case it should be simple to go into the settings on the app and export them from there to Google.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
On my mother's phone, I had to export her contacts, then immediately re-import them, telling it to import them to the Google account. I'm not sure if you can do this on that old phone, but it is worth trying.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Getting my 12 year old a cell phone, and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for parental control/monitoring out there. All the ones I see recommended online are either expensive as poo poo, or don't have everything I'm looking for, or both.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Comfortador posted:

Getting my 12 year old a cell phone, and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for parental control/monitoring out there. All the ones I see recommended online are either expensive as poo poo, or don't have everything I'm looking for, or both.
Did you set them up on Family Link? https://families.google.com/familylink/

Google posted:

The Family Link app offers tools to help you do things like:

-Approve your child’s downloads and purchases from Google Play and limit the visibility of content in the Google Play Store based on maturity ratings;
-Manage settings such as SafeSearch for Google Search;
-Review your child’s app permissions, such as microphone, camera, location, and contacts access;
-Change the content filtering setting and turn search on or off in the YouTube Kids app;
-Reset your child’s Google Account password;
-Set screen time limits;
-See the location of your child’s device;
-Manage the activity settings for your child’s Google Account; and
-Allow a second family member to exercise the same controls you have over your child’s account.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Syrinxx posted:

Did you set them up on Family Link? https://families.google.com/familylink/

edit: poo poo it needs to create a new google account from within it. That's not going to work. If anyone has any other ideas they are welcome, otherwise I may just wing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hate that you can't use kid accounts on a chromebook. It's fuckin stupid. :colbert: