Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

logikv9 posted:

imagine being so insane that you back another ryan for any position of power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MariusLecter posted:

To manipulate a ideological purist into doing his bidding?

that was a side benefit but Joker is being 100% when he makes the "dog chasing car" analogy.

he does just do. things.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
emotionless carpetbagger takes on a real insidious meaning when you also think of hillary

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

huh?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
well yeah but it's 23 million more than today which is what i meant and what that figure refers to

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tainen posted:

Has anyone heard from :megaman: since he was summoned to brief DJT? I hope he is ok.

We never even heard from the guy who asked Carson a question for us lol

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

a helpful bear posted:

The best Ryan despite his creator

all those books rule if you ignore the occasional liberal reporter smirking jewishly and getting owned by a gruff old whatever

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
ryan gosling is the best of all ryans

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's clear to me that there are a lot of people inclined to vote for a Democrat but don't because of ideological purity/liberal firing squads. But at the same time these people are dumb enough to hoist their own personal expectations on a popular candidate who is unlikely to do any of the things they assume he will (Obama).

I hate to be this cynical, but I think the issue is simpler than the decision of hard-left vs. hard-centrist. There are only two things that seem to make a difference to liberal fence sitters: someone who is popular, and someone who doesn't run from the fact that they're a Democrat. Obama and Bill Clinton weren't perfect ideologically, but at least you never saw them try to hem and haw because the Republicans were big meanies. Obama's instincts were right when he realized that on the issues most people are actually pretty frigin liberal but they won't get there voting for someone who is embarrassed by their own positions. Bernie got that. People who voted for Stein, or who wanted Bernie and stayed home are ideologically empty simpletons. They'll vote for someone so long as they're CLOSE to liberal (because they'll hoist their own views on them), and they'll vote for anyone they THINK isn't an empty suit. These people are already dumb enough to think that "not voting sends just as strong a message" when all it does it make things shittier faster. If they aren't cynical enough to vote for the lesser of two evils because of some misguided principle then trick them into voting for someone that doesn't LOOK like the lesser of two evils.

My litmus test for 2020 primaries:

Personally popular
Not embarrassed by their views

Corey Booker is a two-faced rear end, but at least he never apologizes. Clinton didn't lose because she's a neo-liberal, she lost because she appeared fake. I spend every day with rural Iowans. The majority of them don't REALLY pay attention to political positions beyond thinking X politician is a "phony." Maybe a leftist is the right call, but I think it's simpler to just follow the Obama playbook.

back up and talk more about the liberal face sitters

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Flavius Belisarius posted:

all those books rule if you ignore the occasional liberal reporter smirking jewishly and getting owned by a gruff old whatever

Yeah the stories are good as hell. Gotta separate the artist from the art

That's why Tom Cruise as an actor owns

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
actually Nolan Ryan is the best Ryan

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

clinton lost because of the economy

rural america is dying and trump promised them a return to glory

suburban trash gloms onto the whole blue collar spiel (see the continuing fad of poo poo like harleys or unironically wearing carhartt while they go pick up tucker and cullen from their ice hockey practice)

clinton can win in 2020 when the economy has been in the shitter for 2 years

Lol

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I wonder when Jill Stein will finish that recount she got millions of dollars to do.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

actually Andrew Ryan is the best Ryan

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

the best ryan is orion of the new gods

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I said essentially the same thing as the other guy but with a lot less effort :smith:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Truth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIZB9O24BEE

e: Nolan Ryan was 46 years old at the time of this fight

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tainen posted:

I wonder when Jill Stein will finish that recount she got millions of dollars to do.

They have money counting machines doesnt take. Long to count a few millions.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

ScrubLeague posted:

ryan gosling is the best of all ryans

:hai:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I can't wait to read the report from Pence's investigation into the three million illegal votes.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV1fUwKMdAI

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
ryne sandberg

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Nichael posted:

I said essentially the same thing as the other guy but with a lot less effort :smith:

I know.

But you posted like 6 posts before that you got physical sick from pod save America

It was a legit 'lol'

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
stop trying tor make me horny

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Tainen posted:

I can't wait to read the report from Pence's investigation into the three million illegal votes.

I voted three million times for Paul Rudd in character as Tayne.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tainen posted:

"let's get this horse cock inside my anus"

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

zen death robot posted:

rural America is permafucked and they really should stop trying to hold back progress to get something that was never there in the first place

just give em money, make em happy imo

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

quote:

Political activity
Though he supported Georgia's Jimmy Carter over Gerald R. Ford, Jr., in 1976, Ryan has since been an ardent Republican. In 1996 Ryan campaigned on behalf of Ron Paul in the election for Texas's 14th congressional district; his hometown of Alvin was located in the district.[50]

On April 7, 2011, Todd Staples announced that Nolan Ryan would be his statewide chairman for his exploratory committee for lieutenant governor. Ryan is quoted as saying, "Todd Staples is the top prospect for the Texas Republican Party in 2014."[51][52] Staples, however, lost out in that race to current Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick of Houston.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's clear to me that there are a lot of people inclined to vote for a Democrat but don't because of ideological purity/liberal firing squads. But at the same time these people are dumb enough to hoist their own personal expectations on a popular candidate who is unlikely to do any of the things they assume he will (Obama).

I hate to be this cynical, but I think the issue is simpler than the decision of hard-left vs. hard-centrist. There are only two things that seem to make a difference to liberal fence sitters: someone who is popular, and someone who doesn't run from the fact that they're a Democrat. Obama and Bill Clinton weren't perfect ideologically, but at least you never saw them try to hem and haw because the Republicans were big meanies. Obama's instincts were right when he realized that on the issues most people are actually pretty frigin liberal but they won't get there voting for someone who is embarrassed by their own positions. Bernie got that. People who voted for Stein, or who wanted Bernie and stayed home are ideologically empty simpletons. They'll vote for someone so long as they're CLOSE to liberal (because they'll hoist their own views on them), and they'll vote for anyone they THINK isn't an empty suit. These people are already dumb enough to think that "not voting sends just as strong a message" when all it does it make things shittier faster. If they aren't cynical enough to vote for the lesser of two evils because of some misguided principle then trick them into voting for someone that doesn't LOOK like the lesser of two evils.

My litmus test for 2020 primaries:

Personally popular
Not embarrassed by their views

Corey Booker is a two-faced rear end, but at least he never apologizes. Clinton didn't lose because she's a neo-liberal, she lost because she appeared fake. I spend every day with rural Iowans. The majority of them don't REALLY pay attention to political positions beyond thinking X politician is a "phony." Maybe a leftist is the right call, but I think it's simpler to just follow the Obama playbook.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The problem is being a democrat doesn't mean anything lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Thatim posted:

I know.

But you posted like 6 posts before that you got physical sick from pod save America

It was a legit 'lol'

It's not really what they say, it's how they say it. Pod Saves America is smug bullshit that tries to overly complicate what should be a very simple process

1) Is the candidate an actual leftist who will do good for poor people?
2) Can he or she bing bing bong bong enough that people think he or she is a real person?

Both of those should be answered yes, but if it's just one yes that can be salvageable. Smug podcasts are overthinking it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zen death robot posted:

no one wants to put anything but a prison or a waste dump out in Hicksville, AL and that's never going to change

[in extremly ancient aliens guy meme ]: coal mining jobs

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Squizzle posted:

back up and talk more about the liberal face sitters

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

zen death robot posted:

rural America is permafucked and they really should stop trying to hold back progress to get something that was never there in the first place

I think you'd be surprised at the number of rural voters who are both aware of their "place" who also have a national outlook. They just aren't going to get excited about a Democrat who isn't excited about themselves.

For some reason Democrats are OK with getting blown out in rural counties when there's really no reason for it. You're still going to lose most of those counties, but it doesn't need to be by 30 percentage points. Obama won 1/3 of Iowa's counties for Christ's sake. Clinton won 6 (out of 99) and lost by nearly 10%.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
To channel a trump voter:

I may not like Schumer or Pelosi much but they make conservatives mad and that makes me v happy

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

Being a Republican means just as much.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Homeless Friend posted:

it means supporting more women CEOs

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
¡JEB!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i'm a proud member of the jeb fixers party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i wish the democratic party would die a swift and painful death but tom perez still sends me two emails a day telling me i have to give him money for nothing in particular. i'll donate to the aclu and planned parenthood, but the party can go gently caress themselves.

• Locked thread