Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Holy shiiiit how did I not know they made an updated version of Rollcage?!

Definitely picking that up this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Haydee, yay or nay?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Ok, doing my twice a year game buying and my wish list is basically empty so I'm looking for some goon recommendations. I usually like games with really engaging stories, RPGs, Metroidvanias or Dark Souls-like games.

Already planning to pick up Salt & Sanctuary, Ori and the Blind Forest and FF6 (nostalgia).

Semi-complete list of past Steam sale purchases I've really liked:

Terraria
Axiom Verge
Life is Strange
The Talos Principle
Valkyria Chronicles
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Thomas Was Alone
Shadowrun (all 3)
Her Story
Borderlands 2
Alpha Protocol
Undertale

Also how's NieR:Automata? I saw it made the latest list of Extra Credits' "Games You Might Not Have Tried" and their recommendations usually sync up with my tastes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Junior Jr. posted:

Is Quantum Break actually fun?

If you like watching a bad tv show for most of the game that isnt connected to the plot.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
You might like Antichamber. It's an FPS puzzler a bit like Talos Principle, but less story focused and with a real cool art aesthetic.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lakbay posted:

How are Dex and Shadowrun: Hong Kong for Cyberpunk Fun?

I'll chime in on this. I really enjoyed all three Shadowrun games. Dragonfall is the best but Hong Kong is definitely second. If you enjoyed the first two, you'll enjoy Hong Kong.

Reality Winner posted:

You might like Antichamber. It's an FPS puzzler a bit like Talos Principle, but less story focused and with a real cool art aesthetic.

Thanks! I'll give it a look!

There's so many games that fly under the radar these days and with there only being two times a year I buy PC games it can be tough to figure out what I'll enjoy, especially since I don't have tons of time to research like I did when I was younger.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lakbay posted:

How are Dex and Shadowrun: Hong Kong for Cyberpunk Fun?

HK has the most up to date QOL changes to the series and has a zombie ronin samurai.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

What's Disney Infinity like?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

HK has the most up to date QOL changes to the series and has a zombie ronin samurai.

To add on to this, every party character has a "loyalty" type mission that really adds a whole bunch to their backstory and the zombie ronin samurai may have the best one in the series.

Go buy Shadowrun: Hong Kong, you'll like it.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

axeil posted:

Ok, doing my twice a year game buying and my wish list is basically empty so I'm looking for some goon recommendations. I usually like games with really engaging stories, RPGs, Metroidvanias or Dark Souls-like games.

Already planning to pick up Salt & Sanctuary, Ori and the Blind Forest and FF6 (nostalgia).

Terraria
Axiom Verge
Life is Strange
The Talos Principle
Valkyria Chronicles
Thomas Was Alone
Shadowrun (all 3)
Her Story
Borderlands 2
Alpha Protocol
Undertale

Also how's NieR:Automata? I saw it made the latest list of Extra Credits' "Games You Might Not Have Tried" and their recommendations usually sync up with my tastes.

You REALLY need to get Hollow Knight. Its probably the indy GOTY, $10, and it's right up your ally.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Bedlam posted:

You REALLY need to get Hollow Knight. Its probably the indy GOTY, $10, and it's right up your ally.

Awesome! Thanks for the recommendation.

Reality Winner posted:

I took a look at the Steam page. A non-Euclidian puzzle game? Oh man that sounds awesome! Thank you so much!

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

SelenicMartian posted:

It's Skylanders. I know a 5 year old who loves it but I wouldn't expect it to hold much interest for anyone older than a tween.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

SelenicMartian posted:

Reality Winner posted:

It's Skylanders. I know a 5 year old who loves it but I wouldn't expect it to hold much interest for anyone older than a tween.

If you want to know what it's like without buying and hoarding all those crappy non-amiibo figurines, you can get it for $10, not that you're missing much.

I really want to buy the disney afternoon collection, but even the sale price is asking a bit much. :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junior Jr. posted:

Haydee, yay or nay?
nay nay nay nay nay nay nay.

also thanks to too much dead rat for Stories: the Path of Destinies!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Reality Winner posted:

antichamber really isnt like talos
talos revolves mostly around having items with specific characteristics and how to link them together.
Antichamber is about learning the rules of the disorienting world it presents and getting into the right mindset for non euclidean trickery. What is a shame is the reliance on the cube gun puzzles, because i had waited for this game for years thinking it'd be mc eschers funhouse 24/7. Despite this it's still absolutely incredible

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Whoever asked about the Pit: I bought it at release because I liked the 30 minute demo.

Not realizing that that 30 minutes was the entire game, repeated 40 times (seriously), with some bullshit RNG instadeath stuff later on.

Maybe the tons of DLC they added saves it, but I doubt it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I haven't played a wrestling game since my PS2 days. The WWE 2K17 are pretty harsh, but I dunno if it's just nerds being mad at DLC and poo poo. Is there any reason for me not to pick it up for 15/25$ with the DLC? Like so buggy that I can't play it?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
also im gonna repost this from a different thread

large post full of words about games i like and think deserve bigger audience

Bionic Commando 2k9 (2 bucks): everyone slammed it on release but its really fun especially since you can aim with a mouse. Swinging is good and fluid. (IF YOU HAVENT PLAYED REARMED, ITS REALLY GOOD TOO, BOTH FOR 3 BUCKS IS A STEAL)

Painkiller Black (2,50): Serious Sam styled but every gun feels really good and the stages arent only Open Desert area. Lots of hidden goodies to find and you move a mile a second, it owns.

Rayman legends (15 bucks): I think this is one of the greatest platformers ever made. It once was going for 12 bucks but still absolutely worth it for 15. Origins is going for 10 bucks too but I always felt that game didnt control as good, ran a bit too long with some stage themes, and some of its best stages are remastered in Legends (they still saw fit to include ALL the mashy mosquito ones for some reason)

N++ (7,50): Please buy this i need more people in my leaderboards, its really good i swear. momentum based platforming. The instadeath thing can be a real turn off for some people coupled with the precision they demand, and they do that meat boy cotton alley thing where they take the strength of fast respawns on short levels and throw that out the window to make you endure really long difficult challenges. Imo how good it is still outweighs all that. also they did an update recently where they literally doubled the amount of stages the game has, so 7 bucks is a steal.

Snakebird (3,50): Really tough puzzler with relaxing colors music and design.

English Country Tune (1 buck): This is easily for me one of the best puzzle games ever made. 3d spatial grid based puzzles where each world has a different rule you have to figure out then master.

Flywrench (3,50): This has finally hit a price point i can feel comfortable recommending people buy it at. At first the movement will feel weird but the game is blazing fast dexterity test where you have to constantly switch between movement modes to go through color coded barriers. It has a really good jungle and drum n bass soundtrack.

Abe's Exoddus (0,75): One of the best cinematic platformers ever made. This is the most accessible of the two abe games because the first one, oddysee doesnt have a quick load function and you can't guide more than one mudokon npc at once, which grows real tedious. Exoddus fixes all of that. 75 cents for a really good game. Old, so it might be finnicky to work on modern OSes but IIRC they are the GOG fix releases.

Roundabout (2 bucks): It has a lot of bad jokes but if you liked kuru kuru kururin its exactly the same but in a large open map. If you dont know what that is: you control a constantly spinning vehicle, and you have to guide it around tight mazes. Mouse control makes this a super enjoyable game and lets them crank the difficulty way up.

Noitu Love 2: Devolution (2 bucks): Treasure inspired game made by an insane japanese man. you punch a lot of robots and grapple them, and fight lots of minibosses. Superb sprite animation on some of them.

Also I'm reticent to recommend these cause I don't think people here will like them, but I believe Bleed is a good game, and Bleed 2 is supremely fantastic. Again both inspired by Treasure, with a focus on minibosses with lots of patterns you have to learn. You are helped by a triple airdash and slow mo; the airdash gets faster turning speed while in slomo which lets you do some intense bullet weaving that feels fantastic. The problem is: The games are not pretty. At all. Especially the first one. The second is REALLY short for its price point and reuses a few of the first game's bosses. Despite all this, I love how they play and the slow mo air dashing bullet dodging is hard to find elsewhere, especially how tight they feel. Bleed 1 is 2 dollars and Bleed 2 goes for 8. If you're gonna play only one, do 2, because it's good. It's really good.

PLEASE PLAY BLEED 2

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

Terraria
Axiom Verge
Life is Strange
The Talos Principle
Valkyria Chronicles
Thomas Was Alone
Shadowrun (all 3)
Her Story
Borderlands 2
Alpha Protocol
Undertale

I would really recommend not getting FF6 if you are looking for nostalgia. It's a port of the mobile game and looks like garbage.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

you're EXACTLY right about Bionic Commando 2009 and Bleed, very fun games. BC09's got real fun swinging, just don't take the story too seriously

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SelenicMartian posted:

Imagine a Lego game, but with none of the things that make Lego games fun. Also, if you're playing on PC, no couch co-op.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
it doesnt have too many memorable tracks but those that i like, I *really* liked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7-YWJoZD4Y&t=512s
this one is megaman x as all hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7-YWJoZD4Y&t=1097s

please play bleed 2

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Okay, I made up my mind and these are definitely the last games I buy this summer sale.

- Giga Wrecker
- Stories: The Path of Destinies
- Distance
- LucasArts Adventure Pack

I really want to add a couple of good shmups to my list, even if they are a bunch of japanese indie ones, anyone know some good ones?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Junior Jr. posted:

Okay, I made up my mind and these are definitely the last games I buy this summer sale.

- Giga Wrecker
- Distance

I really want to add a couple of good shmups to my list, even if they are a bunch of japanese indie ones, anyone know some good ones?

You uh, have interesting taste in games, but I can help with the SHMUP thing!

Crimzon Clover is the best SHMUP on Steam.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Junior Jr. posted:

- Giga Wrecker
- Distance

Crimzon Clover
Revolver 360
Ikaruga
i heard a lot about blue revolver but havent played it

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Okay, just added Ikaruga, Crimzon Clover, and Bleed 2 to my cart (didn't even know there was a sequel). Can't wait to play these soon! :D

I've punished my wallet long enough, it can rest easy now...

until NEXT YEAR! :twisted:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ragequit posted:

I would really recommend not getting FF6 if you are looking for nostalgia. It's a port of the mobile game and looks like garbage.

Is it really that bad? It looks like they just changed the sprites up a bit. It's a little disconcerting but I imagine I'd adapt. I really enjoyed the FFVII, FFIX and FFX ports.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Junior Jr. posted:

Is Quantum Break actually fun?

its garbage

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Xtanstic posted:

I haven't played a wrestling game since my PS2 days. The WWE 2K17 are pretty harsh, but I dunno if it's just nerds being mad at DLC and poo poo. Is there any reason for me not to pick it up for 15/25$ with the DLC? Like so buggy that I can't play it?

The 2K series continues to be lovely with stuff randomly being added and taken out every year. If you've got the patience, wait for Fire Pro Wrestling's new game coming to EA on July 10th. Should be infinitely better gameplay-wise.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Oh goddammit, FINE! Just ONE MORE game!

Dark Souls 2 or 3?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Any chance that Stardew Valley gets a steeper discount this year?

I doubt it. It is universally acclaimed and has sold incredibly well. It doesn't need a steeper discount.

SilverMike posted:

If you've got the patience, wait for Fire Pro Wrestling's new game coming to EA on July 10th. Should be infinitely better gameplay-wise.

This is my plan. Hopefully it lives up to the THQ N64 wrestling games.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

- Giga Wrecker
- Distance

Jamestown is a pretty fun shmup imo

axeil posted:

Terraria
Axiom Verge
Life is Strange
The Talos Principle
Valkyria Chronicles
Thomas Was Alone
Shadowrun (all 3)
Her Story
Borderlands 2
Alpha Protocol
Undertale

Based on what I know of Valkyria Chronicles, if you haven't played XCOM: Enemy Unknown, you are doing yourself a disservice.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Junior Jr. posted:

Haydee, yay or nay?

isn't this the game where the protag is a featureless robot with an incredibly fine butt

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shadow225 posted:

Jamestown is a pretty fun shmup imo

Based on what I know of Valkyria Chronicles, if you haven't played XCOM: Enemy Unknown, you are doing yourself a disservice.

I have! I really enjoyed it, and someone was very kind and gifted me XCOM 2 for the Winter Sale. Planning on playing those at some point this year.

Junior Jr. posted:

Oh goddammit, FINE! Just ONE MORE game!

Dark Souls 2 or 3?

Both :D

But if you have to get only one I'm going to be a bit iconoclast and recommend 2, provided you get the Scholar of the First Sin version. It's not quite the same as 1/3 but the lifegem system can really help out newer players and I think the bosses in 2 are better than most in 3 (save the Abyss Watchers and the final boss).

Have you already played 1? 3 is sort of a direct sequel to 1 with...very obvious references to stuff that happens in 1 while 2 is more of a spin-off/alternate universe. They're both good though, if you like the series you'll be happy with either I think.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost 1.0 has humor so stupid and corny it wraps back around into being charming :allears:

This game is servicable, and a nice contrast to Hollow Knight? Similar gameplay, but different enough that it's a fine break from that other game. Much goofier, so I'm less gloomy too!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

Is it really that bad? It looks like they just changed the sprites up a bit. It's a little disconcerting but I imagine I'd adapt. I really enjoyed the FFVII, FFIX and FFX ports.

The PSX games still look the same, but FFVI and FFV are mobile ports. The same game is underneath (with some updated controls/buttons) but I couldn't get past how terrible it looked. I believe there are some fixes out now to get rid of the smoothing on certain sprites so it's a bit closer to the SNES days. Worth a look if you don't mind a little more work after downloading the game.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

The Saddest Rhino posted:

isn't this the game where the protag is a featureless robot with an incredibly fine butt

Yes but I want to know if it's a good game or not.

axeil posted:

Have you already played 1? 3 is sort of a direct sequel to 1 with...very obvious references to stuff that happens in 1 while 2 is more of a spin-off/alternate universe. They're both good though, if you like the series you'll be happy with either I think.

Haven't played 1 yet...or Demon's Souls for that matter. I heard they're supposed to be drat good so I'm just getting into them now.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Ragequit posted:

The PSX games still look the same, but FFVI and FFV are mobile ports. The same game is underneath (with some updated controls/buttons) but I couldn't get past how terrible it looked. I believe there are some fixes out now to get rid of the smoothing on certain sprites so it's a bit closer to the SNES days. Worth a look if you don't mind a little more work after downloading the game.

I once hex edited an executable file for an old game, I think I can handle it :)

Plus I did some research and there are mods to remove the weird filtering they applied.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

Yes but I want to know if it's a good game or not.

From what I watched of videos of it, it controls extremely clunkily and the camera is too besotted with her butt to be helpful. Don't play it unless you desperately need a butt in your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I was going through my queue and Warhammer 40k Space Marine came up, how is it? I remember playing a demo on my 360 ages ago but can't remember if I liked it or not.

• Locked thread