Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Boy, mmo talk, to attack on Titan, to fighting game chat, what an episode :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rodyle posted:

Boy, mmo talk, to attack on Titan, to fighting game chat, what an episode :allears:

I know right?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Rodyle posted:

Boy, mmo talk, to attack on Titan, to fighting game chat, what an episode :geno:

I know, it's the best.

Hearing Pat and Clemps go nuts over the broken Stormblood launch was pretty gold.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

holy gently caress Billy's Yakuza finale

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
BILLY DOES IT AGAIN! EMPLOYEE OF THE YEAR EVERY YEAR!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Can Majima be the main character of all Yakuza games? He's the best.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No, Kiryu is the best. respect the Dragon

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yo...KIRYU-CHAN!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
super cool that matt couldn't stop being a whiny baby even during yakuza 0's ending

e: his delight over the empty lot appearing one last time makes up for it though

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean he's right that it goes and goes and goes

E: much like WHM and David Karesh, I think SBF holds the record for Most Mentions of Jenkem On A Podcast.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 22, 2017

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
But didn't Majima tell Makoto that he only had one eye when he first brought her to the safe house?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Man, that jacuzzi lp brought some never-before-seen results. Very glad.

Though, and this is from a super casual who saw some of the Yakuza 4 lp and the entirety of this one and hasn't actually played one, the Kiryu story felt much weaker compared to Majima. While Kiryu dealt with the brother, their partnership never felt as natural as Majima and Makoto's and its conclusion wasn't all that interesting outside of Kiryu's takeaway being "these people threw their lives for what they believe in, that's rad." while Majima was the complete destruction of his self as the increased convolutedness of everything he's been fighting for turning into nothing.
Like, the last scenes boil down to Kiryu going "its gotta be this way" "here are a million reasons why it doesn't, kiryu" "its gotta." vs Majima dealing with a hosed up relationship he had with a superior that gets immediately killed, and afterwards a way-too-long scene in which he, by association, brings violence yet again into Makoto's life and has to push her to someone better so he can leave knowing that she's having a better life and that the better life she has is explicitly only possible when he isn't around.

Glad I saw these jacuzzis to the end and that Oda was the best hero that Kiryu deliver a blow for.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 23, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If you're familiar with the series, you end up realizing that it's Majima who really has the weaker story, because it omits a lot of the things in his backstory that it really shouldn't, and as Pat says, doesn't really connect back to 1 very well (though Kiwami is altered to address this somewhat).

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

hey remember that time majima apparently got married

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

lets hang out posted:

hey remember that time majima apparently got married

I WAS WAITING FOR THEM TO MENTION PARK THE WHOLE GAME

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rodyle posted:

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say they kinda Boba Fett'd Majima into a more attractive character. I mean maybe they could've gone a little harder on his switch rather than it being "oh he's wearing the jacket and has a new hair cut I guess he's kiryu-chan majima now"

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

FauxGateau posted:

I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say they kinda Boba Fett'd Majima into a more attractive character. I mean maybe they could've gone a little harder on his switch rather than it being "oh he's wearing the jacket and has a new hair cut I guess he's kiryu-chan majima now"

did you mean to respond to my other post

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
0 seems more designed to continue explaining the shift in Kiwami.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I'm sad Pat didn't do the Majima sidequest where you beat up child Ryuji Goda because he tries to steal your pants.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Majima and Park get married in '92...when she was 18 at most, which would make her like 14 during Yakuza 0. That would've been a weird cameo, to say the least.

edit: although I don't know if Pat knows that they were married, depending on how far along he is in 5.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't believe how real the Majima Everywhere system is.

edit: also considering I don't own a PS4, how dated is Y1/Y2 if I wanna give them a go?

Dias fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 23, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dias posted:

I can't believe how real the Majima Everywhere system is.

edit: also considering I don't own a PS4, how dated is Y1/Y2 if I wanna give them a go?

1 very dated. 2 not as bad as 1 but still kinda dated. 2's saving grace is that it's story is good and they made a decent chunk of improvements over 1 to make it feel not as clunky. Also tiger punching.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

standard owl posted:

Majima and Park get married in '92...when she was 18 at most, which would make her like 14 during Yakuza 0. That would've been a weird cameo, to say the least.

edit: although I don't know if Pat knows that they were married, depending on how far along he is in 5.

wait what

I distinctly remember it being mentioned that they were married before he got into the Yakuza

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
To be fair he's been in and out of it a few times :v:

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Rodyle posted:

wait what

I distinctly remember it being mentioned that they were married before he got into the Yakuza

They got married 20 years before Yakuza 5, which takes place in 2012 (the timeline on the official Sega Yakoozy site corroborates that date, for whatever it's worth). Some rando entertainment industry guy mentions that Majima had an eyepatch when he and Park were together, and he also helped their friend (Katsuya, the rival idol president/Omi Alliance guy) get set up in Osaka by smoothing things over with the local yakuza, which implies that Majima had some clout over there by that point. Also, Saejima says that Majima told him about Park after he left super prison; that would've been one hell of a secret marriage if even his sworn brother didn't know about it at the time.

It is super weird, because she vaguely says that he "entered another world entirely" or something after they got divorced and ceased contact with each other? I guess she didn't want to tell Haruka "yeah my ex-husband was actually a big dick G yakuza," considering the letter she was hiding and whatever.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All I've learned is that the jacuzzi series is frought with inconsistent writing and I love it

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Yakuza: for when the Metal Gear Solid series isn't horny nor convoluted enough

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Thank god the Yakuza 0 LP is done.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ApeHawk posted:

"Yo.....KIRYU CHAAAAAAAAAAANNN~"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

The Best Friends should adopt the Majima Everywhere system and put him in all their LPs.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Can someone explain the Majima Everywhere system joke?

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

WampaLord posted:

Can someone explain the Majima Everywhere system joke?

Kiwami (a remake of Yakuza 1) has a new gameplay feature wherein Majima, having decided that Kiryu has gone soft after 10 years in the clink, will just show up whenever and fight Kiryu. Just walking down the street? Majima's hiding in the trash can. Beating up random punks? Majima joins the fray. Trying to relax at the local strip joint? Majima's on the pole. Chatting up girls at the hostess club? Majima Goromi-chan is your girlfriend now.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
In a nutshell, they're random encounters, not like the random mooks you fight, but say when you walk past a certain spot, change scene, buy food, etc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
When's the Vergil anywhere system?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

standard owl posted:

Kiwami (a remake of Yakuza 1) has a new gameplay feature wherein Majima, having decided that Kiryu has gone soft after 10 years in the clink, will just show up whenever and fight Kiryu. Just walking down the street? Majima's hiding in the trash can. Beating up random punks? Majima joins the fray. Trying to relax at the local strip joint? Majima's on the pole. Chatting up girls at the hostess club? Majima Goromi-chan is your girlfriend now.

That's amazing. So the "Yo, Kiryu-chan!" ending is basically saying "What up motherfucker, let the games begin."

I love it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

When's the Vergil anywhere system?

Woolie wanted to push it but it got replaced by the Funkopop Anywhere system.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

standard owl posted:

I hope Kiwami also addresses the many iterations of the Majima anywhere system over the years and why there aren't anymore Mr. Shakedowns left.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Dias posted:

Woolie wanted to push it but it got replaced by the Funkopop Anywhere system.

This explains a lot, really.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oh no, Satsui No Hado Woolie strikes again, it's Beat Cop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rodyle posted:

oh no, Satsui No Hado Woolie strikes again, it's Beat Cop!

oh good that game that's super awfully uncomfortably racist