Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
You can get graflex 120 roll film pano backs for some 4x5 cameras. Like the toyo or sinar for instance. They can be 6x7, 6x9, 6x12 but im not sure if they go up to 6x17 (they could do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helen Highwater posted:

I might be a money-haver again soon and I'm really interested in a decent M/LF panoramic camera to complement my 35mm Horizon. I know about the GH617 and it looks pretty good for my needs but then I found the Shen-Hao which looks as rad as hell. I like the idea of using 120 rollfilm rather than sheet film as it better suits my current capabilities wrt to filling cartridges, developing and scanning. The fact that it's a view camera with a LF camera lens would also be a nice way to get a head start on 'proper' LF in the future.

Has anyone used this camera? What sort of lens would I be looking at sticking on it? Is it a dumb waste of money and should I be looking at something else instead to fill that niche?

The Shen-Hao will let you use more different lenses, with movements; but if you're not used to dealing with focusing and composing on ground glass, or to film backs that don't automatically stop, the Fuji 617 cameras will be easier to use.

Sludge Tank posted:

You can get graflex 120 roll film pano backs for some 4x5 cameras. Like the toyo or sinar for instance. They can be 6x7, 6x9, 6x12 but im not sure if they go up to 6x17 (they could do)

6x17 is wider than 4x5, but there's this back with built-in extension: http://www.bhcamera.us/dayi617back.php

It can use only a limited range of focal lengths (I've heard 90 to 180mm), but if you already own a 4x5 camera it doesn't require buying a whole new camera.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
People in the Medium Format thread, why I never.

Facetiming with parents

Alex at home

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Awkward Davies posted:

People in the Medium Format thread, why I never.

Say What?

709640010012 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/150429045@N03/

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

The Shen-Hao will let you use more different lenses, with movements; but if you're not used to dealing with focusing and composing on ground glass, or to film backs that don't automatically stop, the Fuji 617 cameras will be easier to use.

I am used to focusing on waist level finders, is there a big difference between using those and LF ground glass other than the size? I guess I'd need to use a cloth or a shade to see it more clearly. My Moskva shoots 6x6 and 6x9 so the film advance isn't geared to a particular frame size, it's all managed by eyeballing red windows on the back. I suspect the Shen Hao back has a similar arrangement, you'd just need to advance it three 6x6 or two 6x9 frames at a time.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
11x14 inch clear glass ambrotype of a 130 year old mulberry tree and an 8x10 inch black glass ambrotype of the owners of the property on which it sits.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Gross, where's the old cars, the neon, the every day cityscapes?!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helen Highwater posted:

I am used to focusing on waist level finders, is there a big difference between using those and LF ground glass other than the size? I guess I'd need to use a cloth or a shade to see it more clearly. My Moskva shoots 6x6 and 6x9 so the film advance isn't geared to a particular frame size, it's all managed by eyeballing red windows on the back. I suspect the Shen Hao back has a similar arrangement, you'd just need to advance it three 6x6 or two 6x9 frames at a time.

With rare exceptions like the Graflex RB, LF cameras don't have mirrors, so the image on the ground glass will be upside down. The Fuji doesn't have ground glass or a TTL viewfinder, but the hotshoe viewfinder (don't buy a camera that doesn't have the one matched to the lens included) will be easier to use, if perhaps less precise, than a ground glass.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Awkward Davies posted:

Gross, where's the old cars, the neon, the every day cityscapes?!

Don't you make me...

LOL depth of what? (I should have stopped down, gently caress me)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
11x14 inch clear glass ambrotypes

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

With rare exceptions like the Graflex RB, LF cameras don't have mirrors, so the image on the ground glass will be upside down. The Fuji doesn't have ground glass or a TTL viewfinder, but the hotshoe viewfinder (don't buy a camera that doesn't have the one matched to the lens included) will be easier to use, if perhaps less precise, than a ground glass.

Good to know. What about lenses? 6x17 has a diagonal of 180mm so obviously that's the minimum image circle I'd need but I expect that I'd want more for the movements. What are the usual allowances for that? Also I know nothing about LF lenses. What am I looking for and what would be a good match for that sort of use?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helen Highwater posted:

Good to know. What about lenses? 6x17 has a diagonal of 180mm so obviously that's the minimum image circle I'd need but I expect that I'd want more for the movements. What are the usual allowances for that? Also I know nothing about LF lenses. What am I looking for and what would be a good match for that sort of use?

I'd go for at least 220mm image circle to have a decent amount of movements. Fortunately there are lots of options - on the short end the best choices are the Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 and 120mm f/8; for medium lengths, just about any modern 180mm and 210mm will give you lots of movements. Longer lenses tend to have larger image circles, so most any 300mm lens, for example, will cover generously.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Crossposting from the film thread, since most of the good deals are medium/large:

I just found a really good discount on (some) film, good through the 20th. eBay is running a 20%-off summer promotional event with some of their sellers. The PSUMMER20 coupon code is good for up to $50 off ($250 total purchase) from a small list of mostly uninteresting vendors. BUT, as it turns out, one of the sellers is Ritz Camera, which... you know, not the greatest store, but not (usually) a complete shitshow either.

They sell (some) film through their eBay store. Shipping is free.

It turns out that their Kodak pricing is a tick higher than most of the big vendors, but low enough that you usually 10-15% off with the coupon. Their pricing on Fuji is sometimes-OK, and their Ilford prices are unfortunately "beyond stupid", so no go there.

Here are some of the better deals:

pre:
1 - All their 50-sheet boxes of 4x5 really good for Kodak pricing, which is to say "still a bit more expensive than Ilford, but at least not ridiculously so": 
     a - Tri-X 320: $110 - 20% = $88, price elsewhere $115
     b - TMax 100: $100 - 20% = $80, price elsewhere $105+
     c - TMax 400: $128 - 20% = $102.40, price elsewhere $128
2 - Portra pricing is very solid:
     a - Portra 400 35mm 5-pack, $40 - 20% = $32, price elsewhere $38+ (Amazon price is $48, come on guys).
     b - Portra 400 120 5-pack, $33 - 20% = $26.40, price elsewhere $30
3 - There's one good Fuji deal, but everything else is just saving 2-3%: Fuji Velvia 100 120 5-pack, $43 - 20% = $34.40, price elsewhere $41

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Galway

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How not to meter/how not to pose

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
nope that owns

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

'this is bad' is a good tag to explore. 'i did a bad job' is unique, though.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

'this is bad' is a good tag to explore. 'i did a bad job' is unique, though.

Whoa you're right. Time to start owning this space for my #brand.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Awkward Davies posted:

How not to meter/how not to pose

how did that happen?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Yond Cassius posted:

Crossposting from the film thread, since most of the good deals are medium/large:

I just found a really good discount on (some) film, good through the 20th. eBay is running a 20%-off summer promotional event with some of their sellers. The PSUMMER20 coupon code is good for up to $50 off ($250 total purchase) from a small list of mostly uninteresting vendors. BUT, as it turns out, one of the sellers is Ritz Camera, which... you know, not the greatest store, but not (usually) a complete shitshow either.

They sell (some) film through their eBay store. Shipping is free.

It turns out that their Kodak pricing is a tick higher than most of the big vendors, but low enough that you usually 10-15% off with the coupon. Their pricing on Fuji is sometimes-OK, and their Ilford prices are unfortunately "beyond stupid", so no go there.

Here are some of the better deals:

pre:
1 - All their 50-sheet boxes of 4x5 really good for Kodak pricing, which is to say "still a bit more expensive than Ilford, but at least not ridiculously so": 
     a - Tri-X 320: $110 - 20% = $88, price elsewhere $115
     b - TMax 100: $100 - 20% = $80, price elsewhere $105+
     c - TMax 400: $128 - 20% = $102.40, price elsewhere $128
2 - Portra pricing is very solid:
     a - Portra 400 35mm 5-pack, $40 - 20% = $32, price elsewhere $38+ (Amazon price is $48, come on guys).
     b - Portra 400 120 5-pack, $33 - 20% = $26.40, price elsewhere $30
3 - There's one good Fuji deal, but everything else is just saving 2-3%: Fuji Velvia 100 120 5-pack, $43 - 20% = $34.40, price elsewhere $41

I missed this sale; but I figured that I can just buy some at the local camera shop. Lo and Behold, the owner decided to retire and close up shop this week after a clearance sale; all the remaining stock of film was gone by the time I got off work and was able to get down there. Okay, there was a junk bin with a few spools of ISO 40 Kodachrome left, in Super 8 format.

So for any of you who have no close-by camera stores at which to buy film: where's the best place to buy film online in general?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I always use freestylephoto dot biz. They're appreciably cheaper than either of my local stores. Sometimes there are deals on eBay, but they can also be pretty sketchy.

If there's a consistent source with better prices than freestyle, I haven't heard of it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I always use freestylephoto dot biz. They're appreciably cheaper than either of my local stores. Sometimes there are deals on eBay, but they can also be pretty sketchy.

If there's a consistent source with better prices than freestyle, I haven't heard of it.

B&H

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Meaty Ore posted:

So for any of you who have no close-by camera stores at which to buy film: where's the best place to buy film online in general?

The big four are B&H, Adorama, Freestyle, and Amazon. The first three are usually within a couple dollars of each other, once you factor shipping in. Amazon is good with their supply chain, but really inconsistent on pricing - I've seen them be 15% up and 15% down from average inside the same week. I think Freestyle is the most committed to film as a full process and not just another SKU; at the very least they've had the best availability for chemistry (especially the more esoteric stuff), and the best willingness to ship it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

McMadCow posted:

These are all really grey. Are they scans or prints?

Prints from the press, selon goût...

this guy was a real jerk.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
I found an old Rolleiflex 2.8 E in my parents house that I think belonged to my granddad. It seems to be in pretty good condition although I'm not sure how accurate the shutter speed is. Its such a nice thing to hold and look at.

At first I was thinking of only having it on display but I already ordered some film and want to try shooting with it. After looking online for instructions and videos it seems to be pretty simple thing to use. Only thing I haven't figured out is determining which shutter speed to use and what does the f: and depth of field mean. Is there some good guides I should look at?

So far my only experience with photography is taking dope insta pictures with my phone.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Mursupitsku posted:

Only thing I haven't figured out is determining which shutter speed to use and what does the f: and depth of field mean. Is there some good guides I should look at?

This is actually the MOST important concept in photography! Basically the smaller the f number (also called the f-stop), the larger the opening to your lens will be, and consequentially the more light you'll let in. The smaller your f-stop, the less depth of field you'll have. People will also call this setting "Aperture".

Shutter speed operates similarly. The longer the shutter speed, the more light you'll let in (and more motion, as well).

There's also ISO. With regards to film, it just means how sensitive your film is to light. The more sensitive, the better it will be suited for low-light situations — but often at the cost of high contrast.

There are plenty of free online resources (just Google "Exposure Triangle" to get started). But I highly recommend going to your local library and checking out Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure". In your case, it won't really matter which edition, since your Rollei is likely completely manual (i.e., you manually pick both the shutter speed and aperture). This book is an extremely well-laid out book to understanding the most fundamental part of photography!

I also recommend picking up a cheapo light meter after you finish reading it. Film is expensive, and until you start getting a good handle on everything it'll be worth the bucks just so you don't end up taking a dope picture but completely blew the exposure.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
This is a pretty cool site that teaches you the basics of the exposure triangle (aperture, shutterspeed and ISO) in an interactive and easily understood way.

Play around with it.

As for lightmeters, I never bother and they'll just confuse you more to start with. If you stick to shooting outside in daylight, it's pretty easy to get close to the right exposure with the 'sunny 16' rule, and film is pretty forgiving if you overexpose it a bit.

The sunny 16 rule is simply that on a sunny day, if your aperture is f/16 then your shutter speed should be the nearest number to your film ISO. So, if you have 100 ISO film loaded, you'd use 1/125 speed to get a good exposure. If you go down one stop of aperture then you can double the speed (so f/11 will let you shoot at 1/250, f/8 will let you shoot at 1/500 and so on). If it's a bit cloudy, then give yourself an extra stop (so instead of f/16, be at f/11). If it's very overcast, give yourself two stops (f/8) and if it's getting on for twilight then 3 stops (f/5.6). Remember that every time you change by one stop on your aperture you can either halve your shutter speed (if you go to a bigger aperture) or double it (if you go to a smaller one). f/8 at 1/500 is the same amount of exposure as f/5.6 at 1/1000 or f/11 at 1/500. If in doubt err on the side of letting more light in so go for a slower speed or a larger aperture if you aren't sure.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

it's warm out at night and The Boys have me night shootin' the 4x5 again. I recently got a Nikon 210mm and i'm lovin it, it's a good focal length.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
That second one especially looks like an Edward Hopper painting. Really dig those pictures.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Helen Highwater posted:

That second one especially looks like an Edward Hopper painting. Really dig those pictures.

Thank you, Helen Highwater

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 29, 2017

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If you have a decent smart phone use it as a light meter. There's quite a few light meter apps for both android and iOS and they work just fine as reflective meters if there's at least some light in the scene. They all the work the same way, set the ISO of your film, point phone camera at subject and press the measure button. It will show you a list of shutter speed and aperture parings you can use to take the shot. It will get tripped up with a scene that's mostly all really light or really dark stuff but you probably won't have to worry about it. I shot a bunch of crappy color negative using my ancient (in phone years) Nexus 4 as a reflective meter in daytime and early evening conditions and it did a good job. Good enough that I might just use it from now on when there's still a little sunlight around instead of dragging around my brick of a Luna Pro. A point and shoot digital camera that shows you the shot settings would also be fine. If you find you really like shooting film, then you can go nuts with the fancy gear...

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004