Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
The Vive is also discounted during the Steam sale

https://blog.vive.com/us/2017/06/22/vive-jumps-on-steam-summer-sale-with-discounts-on-vive-hardware-and-software/

749$ includes bridge crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=943495896

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 22, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Interesting, but yet another type of controller that a game needs to adopt.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Cojawfee posted:

Interesting, but yet another type of controller that a game needs to adopt.

But also easily mappable to existing VR controls.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah it seems like in a game that isn't explicitly looking for a certain controller, the Knuckles emulates the old one by sending grip (or trigger if you remap it) button events when you squeeze the thing. Then games that are Knuckles aware can go deeper and check the axes to get finger curl values for each finger.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 22, 2017

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I picked the right week to plan my system upgrade. Got a Steam sale Vive bundle and a 1080 Ti on the way now :krad:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I want these controllers Valve please and thank you.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Doom3:BFG Edition is $4.99 on Steam right now. What were the mods and stuff people were using to play in VR?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Doom3:BFG Edition is $4.99 on Steam right now. What were the mods and stuff people were using to play in VR?

Google doom 3 vr. Top link. Drag contents of download into the install folder and use the supplied shortcut.

Easy as can be.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Looks very cool but thumbpad is still a mistake to me.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Love the movement in that Echo Arena beta, too bad I couldn't connect to a match :(

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

The multiplayer starts tomorrow. It's just the tutorial now.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Plus free shipping and a $50 Steam gift card, which, if you're the kind of person who would buy a Vive, basically makes it $699.

Still a bit more than the Rift, but a great opportunity to grab a Vive if you were waiting on a sale.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

:gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz::gizz:

I'm about to set up my vive proper-like with a new video card and mail the rift to a buddy sooo the steam summer sale is about to murder us. What multiplayer shooters are worth getting? I remember earlier in the thread people said good things about Art of Fight and Hover Junkers but the latest reviews on their respective steam pages say the playerbase is gone and the games are completely dead. Is it all just Onward/Pavlov now?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Fooz posted:

Looks very cool but thumbpad is still a mistake to me.

I absolutely love the touchpads that are on the Vive controllers at the moment so if it's anything like them but better (which it looks like, is it slightly concave?) then it's going to be wonderful. I find them much more precise than thumbsticks for VR and the fact that you can see where your thumb is touching them when you're in VR with the little white dot is really really cool.

Those new controllers look rad as gently caress.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

The only case where I prefer the stick and buttons the Touch has is when a game is using gamepad controls. At which point.....why not just use a gamepad?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Has anything meaningfully used them as anything but a stick or button array? The thumb is in a lousy position for fine-motor control without the leverage you'd get in a gamepad, more sensible to leave them to low-precision work with mechanical feedback IMO.

It's not like the thumbs are famously precise digits in the first place, joysticks are probably the biggest precision-use case they've ever had and even that's a insurmountable hurdle for people who don't play video games and try them (ever seen someone try a console FPS for the first time?).

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

Fooz posted:

Has anything meaningfully used them as anything but a stick or button array? The thumb is in a lousy position for fine-motor control without the leverage you'd get in a gamepad, more sensible to leave them to low-precision work with mechanical feedback IMO.

Current goalpost position: -20 yards.
Besides that, the pads on the knuckles controllers are clearly off at a more ergonomic angle.

e: To elaborate, even the current touchpad can be a button array, a stick, a touchpad, a scrollwheel, or just one big button, depending on context, and when I don't need a stick, there isn't an immersion-breaking physical joystick in the way when I'm doing just thumb pressure stuff.

e2, 3am edition: I'm definitely not​ trying to claim that everything about the Vive wands is better than touch; they're ergonimic garbage in comparison, the grip buttons are stiff, and you can't replace the batteries without some small batch scheme direct from China. The circle pads were a good idea, though. I hope the knucks edition addresses the reliability issues I keep hearing with the push button wearing out.

TheRagamuffin fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jun 23, 2017

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

honda whisperer posted:

Google doom 3 vr. Top link. Drag contents of download into the install folder and use the supplied shortcut.

Easy as can be.

Just FYI for me, it was the second link, the first was to the source code.

https://github.com/KozGit/DOOM-3-BFG-VR/releases

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Scanner Sombre now has a VR mode and it's $6 on steam w/ the steam sale, it's a few hours of fun and definitely worth it for that price, check it out

http://steamcommunity.com/app/475190/

basically you start in darkness, deep in a cave and you basically fill in the world with dots with a lidar "paint gun" in order to discover the world and navigate around. It was a neat concept, well executed. Not a lot of replay value and it's about 4 hours long.

e: switch to the beta branch on steam to get it

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 23, 2017

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Man, I really wish Job Simulator were discounted more. I really like what I've played of it, but it's incredibly short with no replay value except for demoing to people. :(

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Man, I really wish Job Simulator were discounted more. I really like what I've played of it, but it's incredibly short with no replay value except for demoing to people. :(

Many more than Job Sim I feel this way about. Can't say I really expected too steep of a discount though.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Just hopping in to say that true Echo Arena beta is awesome and everyone who can should play it

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

While this is true something like Accounting is among the best demos assuming people don't mind being sworn at. It has Job Sim-esque gameplay but is way more entertaining outside of 'wow VR'

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Switched.on posted:

Just hopping in to say that true Echo Arena beta is awesome and everyone who can should play it

Oh my god is it ever amazing. When I first realized I could hang onto a teammates leg while he rocketed out the launch tube, then climb up him and propel myself off his face to get to the disk faster I just about died. This is definitely something to try out this weekend while the open beta is running, oh man is it frantic fun.

Edit: Apparently it works ok with the latest version of revive updated for it, but you should disable async and enable always on reprojection if its stuttering, and in the game's options menu you can disable the yaw/pitch controls so you don't accidentally snap your view while trying to press buttons on the trackpad. I guess you should change the grip settings for revive in openVR advanced settings to make sure its on normal so you don't stick to a wall when grabbing a surface.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 24, 2017

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yooo Echo Arena

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
The hand tracking with touch seems almost totally pointless to me if kind of neat to have anyways. Dunno how much knuckles will add. Ergonomically it looks great but a gun hndle peripheral for these controllers would rock for a lot of games (bring on striker vr), it looks worse in that sense.
Wonder why proper digit tracking isnt possible right now. Like if you put a leap motion actually intk the controllers surely thered be less jank than with the face-mounted version?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Please stop whatever bullshit you're doing right now (including sleeping) and play Echo Arena right loving now, holy poo poo the locomotion works perfect and it's amazing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

The hand tracking with touch seems almost totally pointless to me if kind of neat to have anyways. Dunno how much knuckles will add. Ergonomically it looks great but a gun hndle peripheral for these controllers would rock for a lot of games (bring on striker vr), it looks worse in that sense.
Wonder why proper digit tracking isnt possible right now. Like if you put a leap motion actually intk the controllers surely thered be less jank than with the face-mounted version?
Its good for social stuff at least cause its just another element of body language, the more points of articulation you can get on an avatar and the more it feels like you're talking to a real person and not a video game character.

Also probably the most problematic interaction on the Vive controllers right now is picking something up and being able to use it, like grabbing a gun and pulling the trigger. Using the grip button to pick up objects is fine and feels reasonably natural but its not something you want to be squeezing long term, so lots of games use the trigger as a grab button instead. If you want the trigger to also interact with the object you're hosed at that point though, so be it either grip button or trigger lots of devs are forced into the lovely half measure of magnetizing stuff into your hand and having a separate input to drop it. Its bad and worse it feels unnatural and that's like the worst thing you could say about a hand controller, you shouldn't ever have to think about how to interact with basic objects in VR. Touch is a little better in this regard because the second trigger is way more effective than the grip button for gripping things. With Knuckles though there is no button to actuate to hold things, you just gesture gripping or releasing your fingers.

And IDK you're probably right but the things would probably have to be a lot bigger for something like Leap Motion to be positioned where it could see all your fingers.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

Please stop whatever bullshit you're doing right now (including sleeping) and play Echo Arena right loving now, holy poo poo the locomotion works perfect and it's amazing

I scored 38 points all by myself one game, every point in the whole game actually when we were outnumbered 3:2 because it seems like no one else knows how to launch from the tubes properly. So every round would be me getting to the disk first, skirting around them and scoring. My tip for anyone playing is you have to hang on to the launch ring and press launch, but don't just let go, push off the launch ring as its almost done rocketing out and you can go nearly twice as fast if you do it right, also launching off a teammate as well.

I think the beta must be locked at 3v3 max because I haven't seen more than that at all yet. Its too few and everyone is so new that i've only seen one game with someone who actually acted on defense as a goalie, so if you get a breakaway no one is usually there to stop you. It will be really really interesting to see how this develops, and how well coordinated teams with positions will behave with the full 5v5.

EDIT:

homeless snail posted:

Its good for social stuff at least cause its just another element of body language, the more points of articulation you can get on an avatar and the more it feels like you're talking to a real person and not a video game character.

This absolutely. It's amazing how much you miss these when they're gone. Almost every time I've played star trek bridge crew theres a moment where I instinctively try to give a thumbs up to a crewmate and its frustrating every time I remember you can't do that.

I hope knuckles is adopted with gusto because my biggest problem with most steamVR games at the moment is the controls just feel awkward with sticky objects or no hands (unless I'm not a person, I really really want to see my physical hands in virtual reality), everything you've said. Going from something like robo recall where it feels natural to just grab, shoot, throw, let stuff drop from your hands etc, to something where you don't have hands, guns and items stick to you, and you have to press some button to drop or throw something just feels off fundamentally for something like VR. Having that same ability now with steamVR controllers will hopefully see that trend disappear.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 24, 2017

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
One of the reasons Touch finger tracking feels pointless at the moment is loving Oculus haven't released their social software. The only decent social games are cross platform so don't tend to support finger tracking.
They won't even talk about what's happening with the Oculus version of Rooms/Spaces, in fact Nate Mitchell when asked about it on reddit recently just responded with "we're focusing on the GearVR versions." Pretty ridiculous given that Valve already beat them to release with their version.

tl;dr Oculus are poo poo at supporting their own premium VR platform and I have nerd rage.

e: however Echo Arena is a loving blast and I can't wait for the full release & the single player

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kovhtH3r9o0

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
It can't be too hard build a leap motion type camera into a controller for actual finger tracking can it? Like, the biggest flaw of Leap Motion is it's tiny FOV, but if your hand is gripping a controller, your fingers can't really move all that much.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The two times I've tried to play echo arena it just sits at searching. Guess I'll try again today.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I tried Echo Arena via ReVive and either hope that there is better ReVive support or that it becomes Vive compatible as well. It's bloody excellent, just janky as gently caress without the Touch. Perhaps Knuckles will lend itself to better Touch emulation.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bhodi posted:

The two times I've tried to play echo arena it just sits at searching. Guess I'll try again today.

They had several server problems yesterday and it was down periodically. I guess thats the point of the open beta at least :v:

edit:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I tried Echo Arena via ReVive and either hope that there is better ReVive support or that it becomes Vive compatible as well. It's bloody excellent, just janky as gently caress without the Touch. Perhaps Knuckles will lend itself to better Touch emulation.

Out of curiosity, did you go into options and disable all snap turning and pitch and all that? Thats the big problem i've heard is the sensitivity makes you accidentally snap turn when trying to press buttons. Knuckles should be able to perfectly emulate it, its got a trackpad, 2 buttons and the grip that isn't a little button.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 24, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Echo arena is pretty fun but it's annoying how your maximum speed is fixed at 4m/sec matter if you use your wrist thrusters or your back one or push off of objects. That just isn't right, I expected the back one to be more of a boost rather than just a regular jet.

There also needs to be less downtime; I don't want to stare at a scoreboard and I don't want to have yank a handle and activate the pod after every single match. The 10 seconds to get to the catapult was a good amount of time.

The tutorials were really worthless as well. They don't cover striking or grabbing your own head for defense or grabbing onto other players, how to use the catapult, and their wrist jets had energy meters, and there was also a separate tutorial for every single aspect of movement which was just dumb and time consuming.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bhodi posted:

Echo arena is pretty fun but it's annoying how your maximum speed is fixed at 4m/sec matter if you use your wrist thrusters or your back one or push off of objects. That just isn't right, I expected the back one to be more of a boost rather than just a regular jet.

I think I get what they might be going for, you can go 4m/sec from pushing off, or your thrusters, the boost goes to 5, but i think they're trying to encourage you using your teamates and the enemies and stuff for mobility. You can get up to 10m/s at least using the launch tubes as well. At least that my interpretation, but yeah, hopefully the final game you'll be able to get back into matches faster.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Super quick deluxe audio strap review. It's great, it massively helps the optics in that since the screen no longer moves when you move the clarity has massively increased. With the deluxe audio strap I would say the Vive has vastly better visuals than the Rift (I have both). The Vive has a larger FOV (I keep mine pretty close) and is much more vivid. The sound of the headphones seem nice, but I think the real standout is the much increased comfort and clarity of the visuals.

If you use a Vive on a regular basis I highly suggest deluxe audio strap.

Cons: It's a bit harder to take on and off and with the rigid back it makes it just about impossible to leave on your forehead while developing like I'm sure many have gotten used to with the Vive + straps. However not having to fish around and stick in the earpieces everytime makes up for it.

I still would probably say that at $600/$650 roomscale for Rift + Touch it's a better deal than $850 for Vive (on sale at $750) + $100 for deluxe audio. I already had preferred my Vive over the Rift and with the deluxe audio strap it's just that much better. Looking forward to knuckles controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Is that audio strap compatible with the welding mask mod? Because if I owned a vive that's the first thing I'd get my hands on.