Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
How should I be setting up a party of Bard / White Mage / Mystic / Red Mage? Am I going to need to grind X-Magic for the Red and the White mages?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Only your White Mage will really be able to take advantage of Dualcast, so you only need to grind it on one character (and honestly you don't really need Dualcast at all with that team, but without it Red Mage is pointless so).

If it were me I'd probably go White Mage with !Dualcast, !White6 on Bard and MK, and !Sing on Red Mage's dumpy rear end (or Equip Harps to make their stats less terrible).

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Unrelated, but it's kind of telling the "Community" arm of the site has no comments sections.

:allears: Something you don't wanna admit about your own userbase, Imgur? I mean, I can't loving blame them, but...

Anyway how about them there Berserkers.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Mega64 posted:

Only your White Mage will really be able to take advantage of Dualcast, so you only need to grind it on one character (and honestly you don't really need Dualcast at all with that team, but without it Red Mage is pointless so).

If it were me I'd probably go White Mage with !Dualcast, !White6 on Bard and MK, and !Sing on Red Mage's dumpy rear end (or Equip Harps to make their stats less terrible).

Good to know, thanks! Time to get grinding...

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

You have a free triple crown at least.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Friendly reminder to other mobile version users. Iirc NED heads are in a different order. I don't remember offhand but last year this information allowed me to actually beat the bastard as I wasn't actually killing the Almagest head like I thought.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

berenzen posted:

You have a free triple crown at least.

How so? I've never tc'd before and wouldn't know the tricks.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Finally got this running again and welp, Mime/Ber/Zer/Ker. Pure Chaos with Fifth Job, what are the chances Krile bails me out with something playable? Right now Manticore is too fast for me...

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

How so? I've never tc'd before and wouldn't know the tricks.

bard trivializes omega with romeo's ballad. white mage trivializes shinryu with beserk spell and blink.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

bard trivializes omega with romeo's ballad. white mage trivializes shinryu with beserk spell and blink.

It's worth noting that Bard alone can't actually do anything to Omega, they just lock it down and make it unable to do anything.

Thankfully, you have Mystic Knight to drop Thundaga Swords on his face for massive damage. :getin:

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Geomancer, Black Mage, Red Mage, and... Freelancer. Okay Gilgabot, sure.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Novasol posted:

Geomancer, Black Mage, Red Mage, and... Freelancer. Okay Gilgabot, sure.

Four Black Mages, two with Dualcast. :shrug: Could be worse. As a bonus, you can get two Rune Chimes and have your elemental boosting on 3/4ths of the team. Red Mage still sucks.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I avoided the Rune Chime because Geomancers, opting for my first three weapons to be Sage's Staff, Magus Rod, and Assassin's Dagger. Hopefully that'll tide me over until the next tablet. Dunno what I should be doing for Island Shrine up next, but I'll figure it out after gathering more goodies. Maybe using the Thief Knife for stuff.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Can I get some advice for Atomos for a Chemist/Zerk/Zerk/Zerk party?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

GMArcturus posted:

Can I get some advice for Atomos for a Chemist/Zerk/Zerk/Zerk party?

chemist doesnt have a way to sleep atomos, but you can at least haste your guys with mixes. have one zerk dead at the start, buff yourself then the other two with haste, hope they poo poo out enough damage to kill it quickly. dragon powers may help with the damage output

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Math time!

Assuming each class has equal chances, what signup should I do to maximize my chances of having at least one of bard, freelancer, chemist or dancer?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Math time!

Assuming each class has equal chances, what signup should I do to maximize my chances of having at least one of bard, freelancer, chemist or dancer?

Unless you run Pure Chaos, you're chances of having freelancer are zero.

If you run Team 750 you will have a 50% chance of having a bard, and a 100% of having either chemist or dancer (but you will not have both).

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Hmmm, ive never used time mage. Any tips before I take on the fire ship?
Edit: first job is black mage

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Hmmm, ive never used time mage. Any tips before I take on the fire ship?
Edit: first job is black mage

Float, Haste, slow, comet and meteor are your friends.

Also, you can kill anything, even poison immune or absorbing bosses, by casting quick, breaking a venom rod on an enemy, and then just waiting. Do not take further actions in quick mode, sap will never wear off if you stay in quick time, and eventually their hp will hit 1. (I'm unsure if sap can kill enemies by itself, or if it caps at one. Either way, meteor or comet to finish them off.)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That sure was a run

Ninja/bers/erker/thief. hosed up and had to do about 30k damage to a berserk grand cross part.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Also, you can kill anything, even poison immune or absorbing bosses, by casting quick, breaking a venom rod on an enemy, and then just waiting. Do not take further actions in quick mode, sap will never wear off if you stay in quick time, and eventually their hp will hit 1. (I'm unsure if sap can kill enemies by itself, or if it caps at one. Either way, meteor or comet to finish them off.)

It kills them off. If it didn't, Omega wouldn't be able to be quick-leaked. (Its Magic Defense is way too high for even Comet and Meteor to scratch the paint.)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

:siren: Calling all Captains Courageous! :siren:

This year, like every year, I plan on using the Chicken Knife like the dirty little coward I am. But you know what? I think you can do better!

For everyone who completes their run with a fully functioning Brave Blade either equipped or in their inventory (which is to say, a Brave Blade at full power; no running), I will donate $5 to Child's Play, up to a total of $150. For proof, all I ask is a screenshot of your party, standing before Exdeath in the Rift, with another screenshot of your untarnished Brave Blade boasting 150 attack power.
My Basch run turned into a 100% run. I actually forgot how bad Cave, Tower, and even The Great Sea Trench and Sunken Tower of Walse are when you can't flee and keep missing due to axes and low level! I also got dangerously close to running out of items in The Rift despite not using !Mix much.

Probably taking a break, but my next run is going to mix things up and use the Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KataraniSword posted:

It kills them off. If it didn't, Omega wouldn't be able to be quick-leaked. (Its Magic Defense is way too high for even Comet and Meteor to scratch the paint.)

Comet and Meteo can damage Omega about 1/3 of the time.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh Soul Cannon, you're the worst. I guess I should level up some more...

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So thanks to Pure Chaos, looks like my party is going to be Time Mage / Bard / Mime / White Mage. I can't wait to get Mime so I can finally use something that isn't a dagger for attacking.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

So thanks to Pure Chaos, looks like my party is going to be Time Mage / Bard / Mime / White Mage. I can't wait to get Mime so I can finally use something that isn't a dagger for attacking.

Prepare for disappointment.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Finally finished my rear end in a top hat run, Geo Geo dance zerk. Through tons of savescumming I rushed the algamest part down before it went off with dancing, lamp odined the magic part, then just did lots of healing while I tried to balance killing the other 2.

New run, again chaos, bard ranger bard black mage. Which should be more interesting, and going to be all freelancer until after the fire crystal.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

New run is free/bers/black/time. A real yawn fest.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Another a butt for the a butt pile.

This was a Popular 5th Job run, with Red Mage dying with Galuf. For the best, I might have been crazy enough to grind dual cast twice. Ninja didnt do much, since the rest of the team was so powerful but it was fun. Onto trying the randomizer.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

Good to know, thanks! Time to get grinding...

I mean, you have !Sing. Dualcast is good and all, but completely unnecessary.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The paradox of !Dualcast is that all classes which can use it are already very powerful without it, so there's never really a reason to grind it out. Just slap !White or !Sing on the Red Mage, and call it a day.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Does dual singing a haste and level song with two bards work? Outside of dual requiems, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
My last zerker rerolled to MKnight with fifthjob lol

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

Does dual singing a haste and level song with two bards work? Outside of dual requiems, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Yep, or you can double up on Swift Song to max out your speed incredibly quickly.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Romeo's Ballad works on a LOT of trash (and even some bosses!). Same with Alluring Air. Speed, Level, Strength and Magic songs are all useful. Prioritize Speed, then level, then offensive stat. Requiem and Regen certainly have uses.

!Sing is an amazing command

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

I will report back if the quick leak works on mobile :downsgun:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
gently caress Blue Dragons, honestly.

Reds are a pain in the rear end enough, but at least they have the decency to be weak to Requiem and not stack up 3 to a sprite.

EDIT: "Oh they can be Graviga'd! Oh, then they just spam Ice Storm until they murder my entire party because I almost beat one."

gently caress. Blue. Dragons.

Classtoise fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 23, 2017

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

I'm like 99% sure I've read that it doesn't

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

BASCH LIVES (okay he's dead to a double Almagest there but shut up). Triple crown for the first time! Immediately signed up for another Chaos run, got Mystic Knight first :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

Nasgate posted:

nope :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread