Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ainsley McTree posted:

Ah. Well, worst case scenario is that it's at least extremely realistic historical fiction, which sounds like it's still worth a read.

I enjoyed his book. Whether its a 100% accurate retelling of his life is obviously doubtful, but it is serviceable if treated like other memoirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

spectralent posted:

Relatedly, how serious was the Soviet Union's attempt to join NATO? Like, was it just a PR stunt or was it the kind of thing where they actually wanted it?

The SU never tried to join, but its successor state, the Russian Federation, did. It didn't go over well, thanks to the US jacking off too hard over the "End of History"-bullshit.

A few crisis later, when the political situation in Russia stabilized again, the Federation was kind of miffed by what happened and a historical chance was wasted.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Libluini posted:

The SU never tried to join, but its successor state, the Russian Federation, did. It didn't go over well, thanks to the US jacking off too hard over the "End of History"-bullshit.

A few crisis later, when the political situation in Russia stabilized again, the Federation was kind of miffed by what happened and a historical chance was wasted.

It really is hard to overstate just how badly the US hosed up its chances with Russia in the '90s.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Libluini posted:

The SU never tried to join [NATO]

Well it sort of did, back in '54. Molotov told the Europeans that the Soviet Union would be willing to join under certain conditions; given that the SU's prime concern throughout the post-war era was "don't let the GPW happen again", they were probably sincere about it, albeit aware of the low probability of success.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/publication/molotovs-proposal-the-ussr-join-nato-march-1954

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PittTheElder posted:

Well it sort of did, back in '54. Molotov told the Europeans that the Soviet Union would be willing to join under certain conditions; given that the SU's prime concern throughout the post-war era was "don't let the GPW happen again", they were probably sincere about it, albeit aware of the low probability of success.

https://www.wilsoncenter.org/publication/molotovs-proposal-the-ussr-join-nato-march-1954

Yeah, no. That was never a serious proposal. Telling the US to stay out of NATO was never going to work. In the 90s, there was at least a genuine attempt by the Federation to join alongside the US. Molotov's garbage was basically just propaganda, aimed at undermining the still young NATO.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

Something tells me that the crewing requirements for a battleship are not among the US military's current concerns.

Attitudes like this are a big part of the problem.

Have some loving vision people, BATTLESHIPS

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Bourricot posted:

They finally managed a compromise after the demise of the Second Empire, but things didn't go as planned:

France pretty much became a lasting Republic by default :france:

And to tie this further into military history, the Comte de Paris and his brother the Duke of Chartres were in 1861 placed at the service of the United States government by their uncle, the Prince of Joinville, who hoped to prove their (and his own) republican credentials. Both were commissioned captains and found positions on the staff of George McClellan.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bewbies posted:

Attitudes like this are a big part of the problem.

Have some loving vision people, BATTLESHIPS

Please. The MIC in the US can't even make a coastal frigate without catastrophically loving it up, much less a brand spanking new super-modern capital ship.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, this is what I meant. I'm curious how genuine this was, since, as you say, the lense I view post-war history through has changed massively ever since I learned just how badly shook the USSR was by Barbarossa. And, I mean, I definitely shouldn't have been surprised, since it was horrific and most other nations that've suffered blows end up going a bit crazy after.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Please. The MIC in the US can't even make a coastal frigate without catastrophically loving it up, much less a brand spanking new super-modern capital ship.

I am not going to be deterred by naysayers like this guy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Yeah, my buddy with the PhD in 17-18th century French history had never heard of that guy either and then laughed when I told him the basic argument. He said it looks typical for popular history on military topics, with WW2 and the ACW being the other two big examples: probably dripping with good info on battles, uniforms, formations, etc but either lacking analysis or having crazy analysis.

So, yeah. I wouldn't hang too much on that guy's arguments. He looks incredibly in love with his subject, isn't academically trained as a historian, and seems to be the one guy making this oddball argument.

He also had some recommendations on other books if anyone cares. Charles Esdaile, Michael Broers, Alan Forrest or Isser Woloch for stuff on Napoleon, David Bell for a solid overview of the military stuff in that era. Stephen Englund if you're into administrative bureaucracy, although I'm pretty sure he just threw that suggestion in for me because he knows bureaucrats are my jam.

Again, I'm not personally familiar with any of these authors, just passing along what someone who actually knows French history has to say on the topic.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

Uh yeah that's of pretty drat significant interest, holy poo poo.

"Hey guys, not sure if anyone's interested, but I got some front row footage of my grandpap wrecking the balls off some Nazi boats in a mosquito"

Definitely, please share. Do you have any writing from him on his sorties? Wondering about his impressions of the mosquito, whether he'd flown other craft in a similar role, etc.

Haha fair enough, I don't keep a close eye on this thread so I didn't know if this was derivative or not. We've got most of his letters to and from his father spanning several decades as well as his logbook. Like a lot of veterans he didn't talk a lot about the war.

According to his logbook he only started flying Mosquitos in July 1944, before that he flew supply planes for the Ministry of Supply and meterological flights for the RAF.

Here's another picture, similar idea, attack on a flack boat in Denmark.

One story he did tell was after a flight he returned from the Port of Skaw, Denmark. His plane was badly damaged by flack, and he had to fly all the way home on one engine with his prop hitting the top of the waves across the English Channel. He was able to gain enough altitude only after his plane had spent enough fuel to lighten the load and he was able to safely land at his aerodrome.

From his wartime letters he had this to say about the Mosquito:

quote:

Lovely aeroplanes, I can’t tell you what sort but among the fastest in the world, mostly engines of course with a little bit of plane attached.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 22, 2017

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what was the Greek Civil War all about?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!

Grouchio posted:

Who got to bed your mother that week.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Communism. With the UK interceding heavily on the anti side iirc. One of those shameful post imperial episodes that noone ever talks about these days.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

feedmegin posted:

Communism. With the UK interceding heavily on the anti side iirc. One of those shameful post imperial episodes that noone ever talks about these days.
I wonder why it occured so quickly after the end of Nazi occupation...

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I wonder why it occured so quickly after the end of Nazi occupation...

Power vacuum of removing the central authority meant that all the various resistance groups got to fight each other over who would get to rule Greece as there was no central enemy to fight or strong government to stop them. It happens after most revolutions/removal of authority.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
The thing that really hosed with me about the greek civil war, is that the first shots were fired at a demonstration by right wing gendarmes, with british forces standing off and doing nothing, in December 1944! The war with the Germans wasn't even over, and they starting shooting at unarmed demonstrators!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Wasn't that the plan for the Yamato, in the end? It got sunk at sea before it could make it to any beach but I remember reading that somewhere.

Yep. A suicide battleship. Her orders were to sail to Okinawa and beach herself there.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What would've possessed America to support the reds in Greece instead of the royals, whilst ensuring they become an American, not a Soviet, ally?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The spectre of communism?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grouchio posted:

What would've possessed America to support the reds in Greece instead of the royals, whilst ensuring they become an American, not a Soviet, ally?

um, what?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Grouchio asks the dumbest questions.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Grouchio posted:

A communist coup in Washington

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, my buddy with the PhD in 17-18th century French history had never heard of that guy either and then laughed when I told him the basic argument. He said it looks typical for popular history on military topics, with WW2 and the ACW being the other two big examples: probably dripping with good info on battles, uniforms, formations, etc but either lacking analysis or having crazy analysis.

So, yeah. I wouldn't hang too much on that guy's arguments. He looks incredibly in love with his subject, isn't academically trained as a historian, and seems to be the one guy making this oddball argument.

Thanks for this, I appreciate it.

Sometime ago I was listening to a lengthy podcast series on Napoleon where this guy was introduced as Napoleon historian extraordinaire. He is certainly very knowledgeable on the subject but as you say, his arguments might not be the most robust.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

MrMojok posted:

Yep. A suicide battleship. Her orders were to sail to Okinawa and beach herself there.

IIRC her crew had actually managed to secret away enough fuel that she could attack the invasion force and return if by some miracle she had survived that much, irrespective of orders to beach herself.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Koramei posted:

It was a different kind of war, and over a much longer period, so maybe the comparison isn't really fitting- but since the question is directly comparing it to Korea, it's worth pointing out that the Korean War had a very comparable human toll. I think it's totally possible that more generous interactions with the US in the wake of it would have made a huge difference regardless of that, just like they did for South Korea.

What were Vietnamese relations (economic and otherwise) with the west like after the war, anyway? I know they're on pretty good terms with the US today but that can't have been the case in the immediate aftermath, and then of course we all know what happened with China. Did they have trading relations with nations in Europe? Just after the Korean War for instance, South Korea sent a huge number of laborers to Germany in return for aid in helping to establish industry and so on, was there anything like that for Vietnam?

Vietnam's main trading partner in this time was the Soviet Union and Eastern bloc and that was how it stayed until the late 1980s. They became fairly diplomatically isolated after they overthrew the Khmer Rouge in 1979 and I doubt the Soviets could have used any guest laborers. It was ending the Cambodian genocide that got the Chinese on their bad side, and China claims to have killed over 100,000 Vietnamese soldiers during their brief war. While I'm sure those numbers are grossly inflated, it still shows that the Sino-Vietnamese war was no small border skirmish, it was a serious conflict, and Vietnam had to simultaneously fight remnant Khmer Rouge who now also had CIA backing.

I haven't heard much about the Vietnamese economy prior to liberalization but by most accounts it was crummy and mismanaged.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ice Fist posted:

United Soviets of America

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

I was under the assumption that the communists in Greece had the moral high ground. I asked what would make their victory plausible?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
US-Vietnamese relations were loving terrible in between the war and the 1990's - the thing that changed was China rising as a regional superpower, which still has ramifications today as countries that would not normally be strong allies of the US or each other are being drawn into a grand coalition in an attempt to contain China and prevent it becoming a regional hegemon.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

I was under the assumption that the communists in Greece had the moral high ground. I asked what would make their victory plausible?

Well, you were wrong. Certainly not from the viewpoint of the US back then.

Considering this and everything stacked against the Greek communists, I guess intervention by aliens would make their victory plausible?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
At this point, this thread should just run your cyoa directly. Cut out the middle man.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grouchio posted:

shut the gently caress up!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Oh Heygal, you're still in the thread!

How much armour did your dudes wear usually? Obviously they've got the rad clothes, but do they all wear helmets and do some of them wear curiasses or whatever? Or is that just for cavalry with cavalry bucks? Sorry that I only have a boring equipment question.

Also, is trin ok? I haven't seen him post since he vanished from his forum game. I assume he's just busy, but you never know.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grouchio posted:

Go away and do your own loving research for your stupid CYOA. Nobody in this thread wants to answer your insane counterfactual what ifs.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Squalid posted:

Vietnam's main trading partner in this time was the Soviet Union and Eastern bloc and that was how it stayed until the late 1980s. They became fairly diplomatically isolated after they overthrew the Khmer Rouge in 1979 and I doubt the Soviets could have used any guest laborers. It was ending the Cambodian genocide that got the Chinese on their bad side, and China claims to have killed over 100,000 Vietnamese soldiers during their brief war. While I'm sure those numbers are grossly inflated, it still shows that the Sino-Vietnamese war was no small border skirmish, it was a serious conflict, and Vietnam had to simultaneously fight remnant Khmer Rouge who now also had CIA backing.

I haven't heard much about the Vietnamese economy prior to liberalization but by most accounts it was crummy and mismanaged.

These are all correct. After the Sino-Vietnamese war and the over-throw of the Khmer Rouge regime, Vietnam essentially had the dual task of occupying Cambodia and fighting Khmer Rogue elements and border skirmishes along the Chinese border. These continued pretty much right up until the end of the cold war. Vietnam's only real Ally during this time was the Soviet Union. As Squalid notes, the economy was also badly mismanaged and the land reforms never panned out.

Vietnam was in a really lovely position for the entire 1980s decade. Most of the second wave Diaspora come from this period. Thing's really didn't start improving in Vietnam until the Doi Moi policy was implemented in the late 1980s, and the economy didn't start to open up until the normalization of relations with the US in the mid-1990s.

*EDIT*
I hate using Wikipedia for anything more than getting the most general info, but I really want to drive home the point that Vietnam had to fight a two-front war all throughout the 1980s. Many of these battles were not small skirmishes either, but involved large battalions and even division sized units. My knowledge of this time period is actually really lacking, so if anyone can recommend any reading material it would be greatly appreciated!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Vietnamese_conflicts_1979%E2%80%9390

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian%E2%80%93Vietnamese_War

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 23, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Splode posted:

Oh Heygal, you're still in the thread!

How much armour did your dudes wear usually? Obviously they've got the rad clothes, but do they all wear helmets and do some of them wear curiasses or whatever? Or is that just for cavalry with cavalry bucks? Sorry that I only have a boring equipment question.

Also, is trin ok? I haven't seen him post since he vanished from his forum game. I assume he's just busy, but you never know.
ideally, pikemen wear helmets, breastplates, backplates, and depending on the period and how much they want to carry, tassets. (although rabhadh has seen reports of the guys throwing their armor away or selling it as soon as the authorities aren't looking)

i have seen pictures in manuals of musketeers with helmets, but anything more than that for them would gently caress up their ability to move around--the loading procedure involves a bunch of twisting.

trin is ok, he's just got a lot of stuff going on in his life and is pretty adhd. i bug him to post, and sometimes he does.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 23, 2017

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Ah, cool, thanks! When you finish your work, will it be available anywhere for us to read?

Glad to hear trin's ok.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Splode posted:

Ah, cool, thanks! When you finish your work, will it be available anywhere for us to read?

Glad to hear trin's ok.
hopefully, i can get it published as a book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

HEY GAIL posted:

hopefully, i can get it published as a book!

I'd buy that immediately