Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
The "jedi by December" thing explains a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

a buddy of mine just gave me a few boxes full of his dad's CD-ROM games from circa 1999-2009- SWG Complete (or w/e) is in there, so I miiiight have to take it for a spin on a custom server

I haven't played an MMO in twenty years aside from Pirate Poker Simulator 2003 (some people call it Puzzle Pirates), so I don't think low server population is going to bother me or anything, but is there anything I should know in order to maximize fun units per hour?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Just read through the thread after finding my discs again. What happened to Bloodfin? It seemed so promising. This thread doesn't say much more than a vague, "drama happened," so I'd love to hear more.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Just read through the thread after finding my discs again. What happened to Bloodfin? It seemed so promising. This thread doesn't say much more than a vague, "drama happened," so I'd love to hear more.

It's rather hard for a group of devs to not be weird. Each new community propagates with the promise of being less poo poo. But than is just as bad.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Peanut Butler posted:

a buddy of mine just gave me a few boxes full of his dad's CD-ROM games from circa 1999-2009- SWG Complete (or w/e) is in there, so I miiiight have to take it for a spin on a custom server

I haven't played an MMO in twenty years aside from Pirate Poker Simulator 2003 (some people call it Puzzle Pirates), so I don't think low server population is going to bother me or anything, but is there anything I should know in order to maximize fun units per hour?

Guild up and group would be my advice. This game doesn't drive people to do that enough, you can pretty easily solo most content.

Do the theme parks - they're quite good. First priority should be mastering some professions.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Bloodfin is a bit of a mess atm.

PvP is dead since the main imperial pvp guild left to go to another server (swgflurry). A decent amount of population went with them (or quit). On the technical side, its running worse and worse each day. I get a half dozen desync's and have to restart in a couple hour play session. I am thinking about biting the bullet and going to either swgflurry or rogueone full time. The few times I've played on those two, the servers were rock solid. rogueone has double the population of the others so will probably end up there.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Looked at both of their sites. These emulation servers are really, really bad about selling you or telling you what they do. Rogueone had more info so I'm doing that one this week.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's a problem with all the emus. Many of them are pretty talented coders or whatever but lousy at communicating with their players. Even just carrying a conversation is difficult for most of them. If some of the more talented devs would simply sit back and do their thing and let a couple of people who know how to run forums and talk to players, they'd probably get a pretty healthy population.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Goast posted:

It's kinda old so I'm sure some of you have read it, but Ralph Koster wrote a thing about early SWG development.

The whole thing really explains why SWG was the way it was.

The jedi permadeath thing sounds cool as hell and seems a good way to balance it.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Been playing on SWGFlurry. Its quite good. Stable, no desyncs. PvP is really unbalanced since Jedi can spam the poo poo out of heals without any real force cost. Population is...okay...but seems to be growing.

Currently relearning my way around cheat engine because why not. Can't find sith holocron or any versions.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Is this what passes for a Basilisk thread?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Pretty much, yep.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Started up on Rogue One but I've forgotten how to play and the wiki is all NGE info only.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Goast posted:

It's kinda old so I'm sure some of you have read it, but Ralph Koster wrote a thing about early SWG development.

The whole thing really explains why SWG was the way it was.

Holy poo poo, I never saw this, it's amazing. And holy poo poo, the early SWG ads look/feel like the fictional WestWorld ads.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
anyone playing this old rear end game should really get to flurry. lots of good changes coming this way. one rebel guild is dominating pvp, so if pvp is your thing go there and roll imperial.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Tide posted:

anyone playing this old rear end game should really get to flurry. lots of good changes coming this way. one rebel guild is dominating pvp, so if pvp is your thing go there and roll imperial.

Flurry is run by an imbecile, no thanks.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
They all are run mb imbeciles. Cry tit, man child imbeciles. at this point, its finding the least cry tit, man child imbecile.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Like Levarris said, without the Star Wars IP, it would've just been a deeply flawed sandbox.... But I can't help but wonder did the Star Wars IP hurt the game more than it helped? I know that sounds crazy but without all the oversight, maybe people would've been okay with "playing the moisture farmer" instead of Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. Maybe they wouldn't have spread the community too thin with as many planets as they did. Maybe they could've focused on improving the sandbox instead of turning it into something it clearly was never meant to be by competing with World of Warcraft. Most importantly, maybe it'd still be running and fill the niche that goes between Ultima Online and EVE.

Nah, I think that the Star Wars IP bought them a ton of time because people were so excited to play a Star Wars MMO. There's no way they ever hit their sub high without it, and the servers would have shut down long before that.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I always used to think a lack of enforceable limits on numbers of characters ($15 a month) would ruin the game and economy. Maybe it has but the economy in Bloodfin seems to be functioning. Premium resources not being 100 CPU has some upside for keeping stuff affordable.

Whatever the downsides on the economy though I think Dual instancing and multiple slots per server are vital because they offset the lower populations on the emu servers. I.E. you can always find a buff when you need one.

Septic Tank Gulag
Jun 19, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So is the consensus Flurry or Bloodfin, goons?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Why does Basilisk seem to be the red headed stepchild around here?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Septic Tank Gulag posted:

So is the consensus Flurry or Bloodfin, goons?

Bloodfin about to upgrade to pub 8, which is a full two years behind everyone else. Also, going to wipe because LOL bloodfin.
Flurry is run by literal man children.
Pick your poison.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
In my thirty minutes of trying to remember how to make the camera work like real MMOs Rogue One seemed not-bad.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Why does Basilisk seem to be the red headed stepchild around here?

I dont think it is, Basilisk is where we had our biggest goon population and probably the most hilarious stories, unfortunately that was like 2-3 years ago and it has not changed much since so theres nothing new to drag goons back there.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ahdinko posted:

I dont think it is, Basilisk is where we had our biggest goon population and probably the most hilarious stories, unfortunately that was like 2-3 years ago and it has not changed much since so theres nothing new to drag goons back there.

The invasion of Windsor is one of my more cherished gaming memories. For Quahog! :neverforget: :cryinggraul:

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Drone posted:

The invasion of Windsor is one of my more cherished gaming memories. For Quahog! :neverforget: :cryinggraul:

Was it twice or three times that Windsor got invaded? Can't remember.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tai posted:

Was it twice or three times that Windsor got invaded? Can't remember.

I only remember the one big one, where our man on the inside (valiant hero "Taylors Swift") granted over a hundred goon characters housing permits in Windsor, and we had a massive tide of us running over from Goontown and plopping down houses immediately within city limits, then immediately voting Taylors Swift for mayor.

All the while shouting "FOR QUAHOG", effectively laying the blame on the biggest player city on the planet. And the pubbie founders of Windsor bought the ruse and posted a huge whiny thread on the SWGEmu forums about Quahog ruining their idyllic little town out in the Dantooine countryside.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Think I might fire it up and have a look around. Heard solo grouping is dead so less of a credit influx.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
When they had a level 1 or 2 city, we would occasionally drop harvesters on the borders of their city named stuff like "gently caress windsor, quahog rules" so as their city levelled up, or harvesters would become a part of their city and they couldnt get rid of them.

Also dont forget valliant not-spy goon hero, Double-Oh Seven

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Logged in to find my house has gone along with a few 100 million credits of resources (would be lower now obviously. My coronet shop gone that was close to the front but the Mantina still lives.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Is that on basilisk? Whos still keeping the mantina alive?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Aye on basi. Guild hall still alive too. There's a surprising amount of houses that haven't exploded.

Pondering whether to fire up my 190 harvester fleet again for the next patch which is Jedi. The server will explode with new/returning people. I'd need to remove all my characters from the guild to get a shuttle near the new crafting house I'd have to drop.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
The city buildings are mostly around cause we sunk millions into maintenance on them like jerks. I personally ensured that entertainer macro prison was gonna stay on that server forever.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
The discord link in op is expired btw

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Goast posted:

The discord link in op is expired btw

That's because the channel is gone. Something about no goons really care about SWG anymore.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
SWG is dead and I guess I just have to deal with it :smith:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Here's a discord link to MMO general
https://discord.gg/pbTpkUB

If there's interest, I'll make a sandbox-general

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe

Levarris posted:

Something about no goons really care about SWG anymore.

Oh, I care. Way too much.
I'm waiting for Suncrusher release. I'll definitely start there for a bit and try to settle where Goontown was on Naboo when we were on Lowca. Nice place, had my own Stormtrooper spawn.

I'm hoping once the server code is complete-ish, there'll be a server with just fixed specials, scrubbed drops (no non-functional tapes/seas), and maybe even beta-style JTLS. The last would probably not be a high probability, but fixed specials would be very nice.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Unfortunately, JTL is necessary for some reason before they launch Suncrusher. Don't know why but JTL is really important to them. Probably 2-3 years away at best.

http://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I'd guess because the game does feel pretty incomplete without JTL, plus their goal has always been Pub 14 which included JTL. Either way I still really care and can't wait for Pub 9, let alone Suncrusher.