Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Well the Adelaide Rally (https://www.adelaidemotorsportfestival.com.au/entrants/adelaide-rally) which is a 3 day rally in the Adelaide hills just announced that they're going to have a Renault R5 Turbo Works Team Group B car running in it this year. To compete with the Audi S1 Quattro that ran last year.

This is gonna be gooooooood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

a primate posted:

I bought both Metro Redux games for 6 bux each, buy that instead!

Also what are good pads and rotors for a daily driver? I'm going to try my hand at replacing my rear set on my own for the first time :angel:
I've had the Metro games on my wishlist forever, maybe I'll finally pick them up.

Rotors, go with the cheapest blanks (no slots/holes/vents) from NAPA/Advance/etc with the life time warranty. Pads I'd probably do the same or spring for a step up from bottom of the barrel so they dust and squeal less.

The Door Frame posted:

Rainbow Six: Siege is the best FPS, but you often live and die by your team's skill as much as your own. And Ubisoft's servers aren't always the most reliable...
Another one I've been thinking of giving a shot, played and loved the original so many years ago but I'm poo poo at FPS online games

freelop posted:

There should be another Unreal Tournament
YES :hfive: Quake Champions kind of gets the feel of it from the little bit of the beta I've played

I spent a while digging through games last night trying to find something that might hold my interest more than a weekend. Almost grabbed Dead Cells but I'm going to wait for it to be out of early access. Last game that hooked me for a while was Salt & Sanctuary. Before that was Witcher 3, Dark Souls 3, Fallout 4 in about that order with Dishonored 2 thrown in but I didn't really get into that one as much. I should probably just go back to DS3 and try some of the dumb builds I was thinking about doing.

House shopping continues to suck, we're putting together a need/want/bonus list to help out realtor really narrow down her search. She's doing good but doesn't seem to realize just how important garage space is for us.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
What the hell is a bonus list? I told my realtor I wasnt buying anything that didnt exactly match what I wanted and wouldn't settle and this was probably going to be a long, drawn out process, and he was like "ok".

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The added bonus of being screwed around by other buyers/sellers in the chain so it takes 8 months to close on the house you want.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

What the hell is a bonus list? I told my realtor I wasnt buying anything that didnt exactly match what I wanted and wouldn't settle and this was probably going to be a long, drawn out process, and he was like "ok".
Dream home stuff that we don't really need. In reality should just get rid of that category and keep it as simple as possible. The less options and extras we put on there the less non-ideal houses we'll have to weed out.

edit: what the hell is it with people not correctly or even bothering to fill out the parking spaces section. Discovered I can view only homes with 3+, 4+ etc on redfin but I'd guess 1/4 of the houses are wrong

Game chat: reinstalling Kerbal since I only put in about 5 hours on a computer that barely ran it after buying it

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 23, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

freelop posted:

You mean they should just pretty up Unreal Tournament. Quake has been re-released(ish) as Quake Champions and is every bit as mad as it used to be. Sometimes I just want to get a first person perspective on the large nuke I've just launched though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyOkdDpoK-c

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My bonus list included double garage or space to build it. Mandatory list had a single garage. We ended up with a single and space to put a car port next to it. We didn't compromise on anything on the mandatory list.

Now I'm thinking of building the missus a log cabin to get her craft stuff in a private lockable space so it's not all over the loving show She doesn't have to put it all away every time she has to put it down.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Dream home stuff that we don't really need. In reality should just get rid of that category and keep it as simple as possible. The less options and extras we put on there the less non-ideal houses we'll have to weed out.

edit: what the hell is it with people not correctly or even bothering to fill out the parking spaces section. Discovered I can view only homes with 3+, 4+ etc on redfin but I'd guess 1/4 of the houses are wrong

Game chat: reinstalling Kerbal since I only put in about 5 hours on a computer that barely ran it after buying it

Realators are loving terrible at giving accurate information on properties online.

The number of townhomes and condos I go through in my search results because some chucklefuck can't even flag the property type correctly is absurd.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

NitroSpazzz posted:

it's like the 1/3rd of manual transmission cars on autotrader which are actually automatics :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hell yes, more Kerbal :jeb:

I really need to restart my Kerbal Multiplayer server

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Olympic Mathlete posted:

You mean they should just pretty up Unreal Tournament. Quake has been re-released(ish) as Quake Champions and is every bit as mad as it used to be. Sometimes I just want to get a first person perspective on the large nuke I've just launched though.

They have, its currently in Alpha and free

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

Movement feels just as good as UT always has. Some maps are ugly still but I play with buddies pretty often. Its awesome.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh god I did landscaping for about 5 hours last night. Moved dozens of wheelbarrows of soil around, made flower beds, smoothed the yard for yard prep, woke up at 2AM in agony. I can't loving move, my back is literally in the most back pain I've ever felt. Getting dressed is going to suuuuuuckk.

I am hoping the more I move around the better it will be. I need to call my RMT friend and see if she can see me today on short notice :(

This doesn't bode well for the back yard, which is 10x the work of the front.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

My bonus list included double garage or space to build it. Mandatory list had a single garage. We ended up with a single and space to put a car port next to it. We didn't compromise on anything on the mandatory list.

Now I'm thinking of building the missus a log cabin to get her craft stuff in a private lockable space so it's not all over the loving show She doesn't have to put it all away every time she has to put it down.
So far bonus is pool, even more garage space, and acreage. Our must is enclosed parking for four vehicles, 3 bedroom 2 bath, less than XX miles from work and under our decided price point. I'm not moving for anything less than that, I'm perfectly happy in the house but more space would be nice.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My wife and I are waiting on the paperwork to go through so we can buy a car from a vending machine. Truly, this is the future.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

opengl128 posted:

Movement feels just as good as UT always has. Some maps are ugly still but I play with buddies pretty often. Its awesome.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

QuarkMartial posted:

My wife and I are waiting on the paperwork to go through so we can buy a car from a vending machine. Truly, this is the future.
Didn't realize Trump's trade war with China had extended to diecast cars.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

So much for getting it this week.. or early next week. :fuckoff:

Better yet! They will probably use FedEx or UPS "Smart Post" through USPS and it will take anywhere from 10-15 days for delivery! All to save about one or two dollars on shipping :buddy:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

Are you getting it from the one in Nashville? Are you going to go and pick it up out of "the machine"?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

You have to admit that's one of the best gimmicks that have come along in a while.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

everdave posted:

Are you getting it from the one in Nashville? Are you going to go and pick it up out of "the machine"?

Yep! Getting it out of the machine next week.

It's stressful as poo poo, too. Carvana does not do a couple of things that make the process smoother: 1) they do not offer gap coverage in the state of Tennessee (went through my own agent anyway), and 2) they do not do the whole "two buyer" thing. It's the second one that caused me a mini heart attack just now when I called to finalize everything. Rather than considering the combined income of my wife and I, they would only consider mine... which is effectively half of what I initially told them our income was. They updated everything on the phone during the world's longest 8 minutes, and thankfully nothing changed. Same interest rate, same length of time for the loan, and same monthly payment, thankfully.

Now it's the waiting game while they verify income and finalize the paperwork.

It's a little odd to buy a car online, but it's not a bad process. When you go to pick it up, they allow a 10-15 minute test drive, and if you still like the vehicle after that, you sign off on everything and your 7 day trial period starts - you have 7 days to return the car if you don't like it, something's not up to par, and so on. While CarMax (where we bought our last car) offers a 30 day trial period, we figured the 7 days was good enough. Really, we'll know after that test drive, but it's good to get a week of my wife driving back and forth to work in it to really put it through its paces.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Better yet! They will probably use FedEx or UPS "Smart Post" through USPS and it will take anywhere from 10-15 days for delivery! All to save about one or two dollars on shipping :buddy:

I don't like you anymore.

Thankfully they sent it UPS Ground. We'll see if UPS bothers bringing it to the door.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BraveUlysses posted:

i went with akebono ceramic for my e46 and i love how much less dust they put off than metallic pads

rotors don't really matter that much

Seconded, I will always buy Akebonos from now on. I put them on my last V70 and got about 60k miles on them when I sold it, and they were barely 1/4 worn out. I engine brake a lot but still they were friggin fantastic. Great bite too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Don't think I've ever had a package be late due to smart post. Maybe once? And I get packages almost every day. (Which I guess could be why)

QuarkMartial posted:

What's this now?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

ilkhan posted:

What's this now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnHaPVP-opw

I'll try shaking it to see if I can get a free one when we go, just to make sure. :v:

Also, wrt to USPS delivering UPS packages (whatever stupid name they give it), it's loving terrible in our neck of the woods. Amazon does it all the time, and our stuff always comes days late because the post office holds onto it longer than they need to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

What's this now?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

a primate posted:

I bought both Metro Redux games for 6 bux each, buy that instead!

Also what are good pads and rotors for a daily driver? I'm going to try my hand at replacing my rear set on my own for the first time :angel:

I am really happy with the Centric ceramic pads I just put on my Crown Vic. I got the fancy drilled Centric C-Tek rotors because they cost about the same in a kit as plain rotors, but just about anything will do for that. I've only had the pads on a week, but no dusting so far, especially compared to the semi-mets that were on it (likely the cheapest available) The grab quite a bit more aggressively than the previous pads, too. Not enough to say that they are "grabby", but noticeably more effective, which I like.

freelop posted:

Yes. I barely got to play the original, because I couldn't afford enough PC to run it.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

That moment when you order a compressor from someone in Texas, who claims it's shipping from less than 100 miles away (Granbury) and you ask them if you can just pick it up in person... then the tracking shows it's coming from Michigan.

So much for getting it this week.. or early next week. :fuckoff:

Wow. Do they not understand how tracking works, or just not care because they've got your money now? Probably that last.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

"Smart Post" needs to not just die, but be executed in public.

opengl128 posted:

Uh.
...I'll be in my bunk office.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My buddy's 1984 Nissan 720 just failed a smog test with CO levels about 2.5x allowable. Where would you guys start? He thinks he has a vacuum leak but I haven't verified how he came to that conclusion or if it even would affect CO.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Is it his daily? If he doesn't drive it much it might need some time on the road (both highway and city) to warm up the emissions control a bit, especially if it's got an 80s cat in it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Is it his daily? If he doesn't drive it much it might need some time on the road (both highway and city) to warm up the emissions control a bit, especially if it's got an 80s cat in it.
Good point, I think it was ~10 min to the testing station but only via city streets

Edit: he apparently drove it on some errands and then a long run to the testing place so probably pretty hot.

Also gas is $1.99 here today.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 23, 2017

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Ugh, no good deed goes unpunished.
I'm changing the front pads in my friends CRV so I ordered a set online. Go to install them, they don't fit. So I go to the local parts store, pay a few dollars more and get pads. While I'm installing them I noticed the hardware seemed pretty flimsy, but whatever. Go for a test drive and first few stops are perfect, so I start giving it a few harder stops and it starts sqeeling loudly under braking and slightly while steering right. Those loving clips. The driver side lower clip has slid a little and is now touching the rotor. I took the wheel off, and bent the clip away from the rotor but it started doing it again so now I get to try a different hardware kit and do everything all over again. At least its only 90F right now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hmm. That should be enough to warm up the cat I'd think. When we had emissions testing here and and I owned a Beretta GT I used to do a good hour of mixed city and highway (usually across town on the city roads then highway back to the part of town with the emissions testing facility) and it'd pass with flying colours.

Also drat your cheap gas. Friggin $1.35/L here. :canada:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pham Nuwen posted:

My buddy's 1984 Nissan 720 just failed a smog test with CO levels about 2.5x allowable. Where would you guys start? He thinks he has a vacuum leak but I haven't verified how he came to that conclusion or if it even would affect CO.

Move to a state that doesn't try to do insane things like smog 30+ year old cars.

But if you can't do that, the Internet says that high CO is from rich fuel mixtures:
http://www.salemboysauto.com/faqs/faq-20.htm (scroll down about half-way)

edit: usually, a vacuum leak would cause high HC, unless it's the MAP, possibly. I think.

edit 2: another one: http://www.smogtips.com/failed-high-carbon-monoxide-CO.cfm

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 23, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Move to a state that doesn't try to do insane things like smog 30+ year old cars.

It's exempt as of January 2018, so he only needs to pass once.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Run the tank near empty, fill with 5 gallons of denatured alcohol.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Pham Nuwen posted:

Vacuum leak wouldn't cause high CO; if there was a significant vacuum leak, CO would be below normal and NOx would be high. He needs to start with the basics - plugs, cap, rotor, timing, air filter. I'm betting the timing is off. If it's still failing after that, those run a lovely feedback carb - a replacement feedback carb is ~$100 on eBay (new). A Weber conversion kit is more like $300, but eliminates the electronics.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Run the tank near empty, fill with 5 gallons of denatured alcohol.

Alternatively, this may work too.

Darchangel posted:

Wow. Do they not understand how tracking works, or just not care because they've got your money now? Probably that last.

They updated all of their listings to show "Ships from multiple warehouses, US". But the day before, when I made the order, it was showing Granbury TX. :argh:

I mean, I'll be happy when it gets here either way, but it's still annoying. OTOH, I guess that explains why I didn't get hit with any tax. Not sure what's going on there; googling the name that showed up on Paypal shows they're based in Michigan. :iiam: Their business website makes it sound like they do their own rebuilds though, so hopefully the quality will be a bit better than your typical parts store reman.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pham Nuwen posted:

More like Nissan 420 amirite? :haw:

First things first. Has it been serviced recently, so good plugs, air filter etc? Mixture set right? If so, I'd give it an Italian tuneup for starters.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I mean, I'll be happy when it gets here either way, but it's still annoying. OTOH, I guess that explains why I didn't get hit with any tax. Not sure what's going on there; googling the name that showed up on Paypal shows they're based in Michigan. :iiam: Their business website makes it sound like they do their own rebuilds though, so hopefully the quality will be a bit better than your typical parts store reman.

I have no idea in your case, but over the past several months, I've seen that several times on cheap eBay crap. Order from a seller supposedly one state over, thinking shipping time should be quicker. Then, a tracking number comes quickly, but no tracking info. Several days later, there's movement and a couple days after that, it shows up. WELL after a package shipped from the next state over would arrive.

From what I can put together, the sellers are mostly ESL and I think they do bulk ships from China, break the bulk, then "ship out from warehouse 'x.'" Definite bullshit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Happens all the time in the UK too. A "UK" seller is a single person (perhaps even just a made up name in a book?) at a UK address. The stuff gets drop-shipped from HK/China.

It's a pain when you specifically want a "local" seller to avoid hassle.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Saw romeo and juliet at the globe. It was not a traditional performance. It was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Happy midsummer y'all scandi-goons, I'm up the country hanging out with some friends I've not met in years, having a blast.

• Locked thread