Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

this is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i was all happy about how the best boy won in kiss him, not me. however, the manga decided to remind everyone that the protagonist is still the worst girl and she doesn't deserve the best boy.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I'm way behind on reading it, but from what I remember, that sounds REALLY fair.

edit: Also really great.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's only sort of on-topic because it's a) a sports manga and b) like 150 chapters behind in scans, but I wanted to say that I really dig Baby Steps' core romance. It's v cute and refreshing to have two protagonists get together early on and be very much into each other without any wacky drama or pratfalls involved. I ran through the raws without being able to actually read them, and it's just very cute and good even without fully grasping the context.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Another new Fragments of Love!

https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/fragments_of_love_dear_heart

Plus a cool author's note at the end.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's only sort of on-topic because it's a) a sports manga and b) like 150 chapters behind in scans, but I wanted to say that I really dig Baby Steps' core romance. It's v cute and refreshing to have two protagonists get together early on and be very much into each other without any wacky drama or pratfalls involved. I ran through the raws without being able to actually read them, and it's just very cute and good even without fully grasping the context.

same here. i just skim through the tennis matches because they go much, much too long.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i was all happy about how the best boy won in kiss him, not me. however, the manga decided to remind everyone that the protagonist is still the worst girl and she doesn't deserve the best boy.

if the best girl doesn't win it's fail

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

kidcoelacanth posted:

Baby Steps is good :kimchi: I only read the scans though. It pretty heavily focuses on the sports but it managed to make tennis interesting enough for me to read about :toot:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
it's been nine, long, years, but finally there's new magan & danai

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new tamen de gushi

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Tamen-De-Gushi/ch-133?id=371329

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Hi I just finished reading Oishii Kankei and I really enjoyed it. It's complete, from about 1997, lots about cooking and cute relationships and personal growth and deciding on dreams. Plus, relationships actually happen.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Oishii-Kankei

e : it's josei btw which is most of what I'm here for really

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Wizard's Soul 15 with a painfully accurate depiction of loving up talking to someone you like :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that random jerk is doing more to salvage those two's relationship than anything they have done themselves

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

kaguya status: still the best

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Man, i really hate the "heart pupils" thing for some reason. Pisses me off every time i see it.

e: good chapter tho

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 24, 2017

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

HenryEx posted:

Man, i really hate the "heart pupils" thing for some reason. Pisses me off every time i see it.

its a good tag

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

its a good tag

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Erg posted:

kaguya status: still the best

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

New Slow Motion chapter.
I think it's safe to say no one in the thread guessed her reason.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Baron Snow posted:

New Slow Motion chapter.

phew doesn't seem too bad, hope we get to see more of the mother too

The featured song is pretty great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYbmc1R-vxY

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really love the faces in Slow Motion.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This is a really nice one:
Bokura ga Koi wo Ushinau Riyuu
“If you’re okay with me, you can use me.” Oushirou has held years of unrequited feelings for his childhood friend Koba. One day, he’s drinking in a bar, when a man named Inamura chats him up. He’s suspicious by Inamura’s loose personality, but suffering from his unrequited love, Oushirou looks to his kind and easy-going hands for help. A bittersweet love triangle between a mysterious, kind man, and his childhood friend.

It's apparently a spinoff but I haven't read the main story yet, nbd really the other characters are barely in it. Very nice art, it definitely has a bittersweet feeling but it's fully sweet by the end :3

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Baron Snow posted:

New Slow Motion chapter.

it's honestly kind of a disappointing reason to say "no" in the first place :sax:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Alder posted:

Agreed, I just want everyone to graduate HS right now. I can't think of any other reason obstacles since everyone is dating and there's no insane drama incident yet. Is it still following the original webcomic or is it going in its own direction?

You know, I want one of these romance series to have actual real drama that involves the protagonist or their love interest making a real mistake. It's really common for drama to start up over something that may have been ill-advised but is generally misunderstood and not terribly morally indefensible on its own. It would be interesting to have a series where either the protagonist or their end-game love interest flat out cheated without any excuses (i.e. not "I walked home with him/her and it was misunderstood" but actually legit cheating). Or, heck, just people randomly losing interest in one another (which is obviously extremely common with teenagers).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Ytlaya posted:

Or, heck, just people randomly losing interest in one another (which is obviously extremely common with teenagers).

Strobo Edge had something along those lines, IIRC.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

You know, I want one of these romance series to have actual real drama that involves the protagonist or their love interest making a real mistake. It's really common for drama to start up over something that may have been ill-advised but is generally misunderstood and not terribly morally indefensible on its own. It would be interesting to have a series where either the protagonist or their end-game love interest flat out cheated without any excuses (i.e. not "I walked home with him/her and it was misunderstood" but actually legit cheating). Or, heck, just people randomly losing interest in one another (which is obviously extremely common with teenagers).

Real Clothes

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Real-Clothes

It's josei and about adults not teenagers but still the closest thing I've read lately that I can think of, barring standards like Nana.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean if you want cheating there's a whole subgenre devoted to that...

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Ytlaya posted:

I'm loathe to recommend it directly since I believe the proper behavior is to 'trick' people into watching it so they are not expecting what you are looking for, but I believe the perfect match would be School Days.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

I mean if you want cheating there's a whole subgenre devoted to that...

I don't like the idea of it as a fetish thing, though, which is what I think you're referring to? I'm talking more about something where people make genuine mistakes and either work past those mistakes or resolve them in some other way (like just breaking up). I completely understand why this would not be a popular genre (it's pretty much the opposite of escapist); I'm mostly just curious about stuff with a plot like this, since most manga melodrama tends towards stuff that (as I mentioned before) preserves the general moral righteousness of the main characters involved.

FutureCop posted:

I'm loathe to recommend it directly since I believe the proper behavior is to 'trick' people into watching it so they are not expecting what you are looking for, but I believe the perfect match would be School Days.

I haven't seen it, but I have been spoiled on what happens due to general internet osmosis.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I suppose there's Kouji Seo's work, like Suzuka, but, uh...

I'm really not sure I'd call them good, the guy is absolutely awful at endings and has some very, very weird sexual politics at times.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Ytlaya posted:

I don't like the idea of it as a fetish thing, though, which is what I think you're referring to? I'm talking more about something where people make genuine mistakes and either work past those mistakes or resolve them in some other way (like just breaking up). I completely understand why this would not be a popular genre (it's pretty much the opposite of escapist); I'm mostly just curious about stuff with a plot like this, since most manga melodrama tends towards stuff that (as I mentioned before) preserves the general moral righteousness of the main characters involved.

I haven't seen it, but I have been spoiled on what happens due to general internet osmosis.

Yeah, it's been out long enough that there are probably very few people who haven't heard of it. Still, even if you know the twist, it is quite the journey and if you haven't seen it, it does fit with your expectations of a protagonist who makes incredibly morally bankrupt decisions to play the field, two-time women, and break up with them over shallow teenager reasons, all leading to chaos.

I think Mors Rattus is right about Kouji Seo: from what I read of Kimi No Iru Machi, the protagonist seems to go through multiple steady relationships with break-ups and youthful mistakes inbetween. Whether his works are quality works or anything, I'm unsure.

I'm curious about the morals part of your search though: the two ideal elements of 1)working past problems beyond silly misunderstandings and resolving them and 2)having characters who are not showcasing ideal morals and behavior are a bit at odds, since working past the problems would showcase good lessons and morals in the end. I'm just unsure whether you want, like, a horror/cautionary tale (like my first recommendation) where the people are terrible and they don't get better, or a more normal tale where the characters are not typical goofy moral compasses and make more realistic mistakes, typical of youthful indiscretions, and resolve them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FutureCop posted:

I'm curious about the morals part of your search though: the two ideal elements of 1)working past problems beyond silly misunderstandings and resolving them and 2)having characters who are not showcasing ideal morals and behavior are a bit at odds, since working past the problems would showcase good lessons and morals in the end. I'm just unsure whether you want, like, a horror/cautionary tale (like my first recommendation) where the people are terrible and they don't get better, or a more normal tale where the characters are not typical goofy moral compasses and make more realistic mistakes, typical of youthful indiscretions, and resolve them.

What I've noticed in most romance manga (usually shoujo, though that's just because most shounen and seinen romance doesn't even really attempt to be anything other than total wish fulfillment), drama will usually involve characters making mistakes that, while sometimes wrong, are also generally excusable and often blown out of proportion. For example, a character might choose to stay silent about something important to them, leading to drama further down the line when it is revealed. In such a situation, the character hasn't done anything that would make most people say "wow, you really hosed up there"; at worse they may have done something a bit insensitive. And that's not even getting into "stuff that isn't actually bad but is treated as bad due to sexism", like a boyfriend in a shoujo manga getting pissed that the protagonist was seen with a male friend.

So I guess I'm talking about stuff that pretty much anyone would admit was a real mistake that can't really be easily excused. Not necessarily anything super terrible, but maybe someone being genuinely lovely in a way that can't be written off as a personality quirk (for example being an rear end in a top hat and having that be treated as a genuine flaw that needs to be worked past, or being overly needy towards a partner). Cheating is a kind of obvious example, but I can definitely understand why most people wouldn't want to read stories where a relationship just fizzles out and ends (unless it's replaced by another relationship).

As a kinda-sorta related question, what are some shoujo with unpredictable main couple match-ups? I remember enjoying this one about a guy whose crush goes to become a movie star and he follows her but ends up falling in love with someone else. I remember expecting the initial love interest's crush to be a dick (since he was competing with the protagonist), but he ended up being a good guy. I thought that was kind of refreshing, not only because the protagonist was male in a shoujo, but also because he didn't end up with the telegraphed love interest.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Ytlaya posted:

So I guess I'm talking about stuff that pretty much anyone would admit was a real mistake that can't really be easily excused. Not necessarily anything super terrible, but maybe someone being genuinely lovely in a way that can't be written off as a personality quirk (for example being an rear end in a top hat and having that be treated as a genuine flaw that needs to be worked past, or being overly needy towards a partner). Cheating is a kind of obvious example, but I can definitely understand why most people wouldn't want to read stories where a relationship just fizzles out and ends (unless it's replaced by another relationship).

The first thing that comes to mind is Lies are a Gentleman's Manners by Matsuo Marta (it's BL, not josel, though). Married closeted professor and a college student play mind games with each other. There's no real "working through it," though, they're both kinda jerks (the professor is clearly worse) but they have a good dynamic. I don't think translations are caught up through the most recent plotline (which is finished), but I remember the college student starting a fake relationship with an actor friend of his.

Someone mentioned Strobe Edge. The main relationship was pretty mediocre, but there were a lot of flashbacks/side stories of past relationships for various characters that I thought were really well done. I think they were more fizzling than any real personality flaws, but it's been a while.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I don't remember cheating, but I feel like Sekitou Elergy had more realistic levels of in relationship mistakes, fights and troubles. Been a while since I checked on it though.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Ytlaya posted:

I remember enjoying this one about a guy whose crush goes to become a movie star and he follows her but ends up falling in love with someone else. I remember expecting the initial love interest's crush to be a dick (since he was competing with the protagonist), but he ended up being a good guy. I thought that was kind of refreshing, not only because the protagonist was male in a shoujo, but also because he didn't end up with the telegraphed love interest.

:yeah:

I don't have any recs, but Full Dozer was a good manga. Ayumi Komura's works are pretty enjoyable in general.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ytlaya posted:

As a kinda-sorta related question, what are some shoujo with unpredictable main couple match-ups? I remember enjoying this one about a guy whose crush goes to become a movie star and he follows her but ends up falling in love with someone else. I remember expecting the initial love interest's crush to be a dick (since he was competing with the protagonist), but he ended up being a good guy. I thought that was kind of refreshing, not only because the protagonist was male in a shoujo, but also because he didn't end up with the telegraphed love interest.

What was the name of this one?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Itoshi no Nekkoke - Hey, Not Too Rough

Octave - Hurt Me Plenty

Gunjou - Nightmare!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

Itoshi no Nekkoke - Hey, Not Too Rough

Octave - Hurt Me Plenty

Gunjou - Nightmare!

But what about ITYTD and UV?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
sekitou elegy is extremely good in addition to having petty, realistic bickering between lovers. also has a funny side relationship where the MC's sister gets together with a guy(or was it his brother who gets together with a girl? been a while) and the girl gets pregnant and turns into a total porker after having the kid. I honestly can't think of many cases where an anime woman got fat after having a kid/getting old, only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Deku's mom from My Hero Academia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

sekitou elegy is extremely good in addition to having petty, realistic bickering between lovers. also has a funny side relationship where the MC's sister gets together with a guy(or was it his brother who gets together with a girl? been a while) and the girl gets pregnant and turns into a total porker after having the kid. I honestly can't think of many cases where an anime woman got fat after having a kid/getting old, only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Deku's mom from My Hero Academia.

There's a boxing manga where the love interest gets injured and forced to retire from sports in high school and gets pretty chunky, but I forget the name. It's nice that she remains the love interest through that.