Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I vote for Conservative for the lulz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/878008036698148864

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/noahmccormack/status/877592987290578944

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

what's it like being in a country with a nice lil swing to the left

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Its the same as it was yesterday

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's good.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Except for all those people burning to death, that was bad.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVs20X1XF2E

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/padgog/status/877629129025302529

shocked that Corbyn's support for Ansar Al-Casio isn't getting more coverage in the tabloids

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

quote:

“My mother took a huge part in showing me an ordinary life, including taking me and my brother to see homeless people,” Prince Harry was quoted as saying, referring to his elder brother, Prince William. “Thank goodness I’m not completely cut off from reality. People would be amazed by the ordinary life William and I live.”

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

lmao that monarchs are more progressive than elected government

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/elenistefanou/status/878002583872208896

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

lmao that monarchs are more progressive than elected government

"elected"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dzhay posted:

"elected"
yep

at least you have the means to detect it, i'm living in a nationstate where we may get the russian political model of one party with incompetent opposition funded by people who also run the one party

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

yep

at least you have the means to detect it, i'm living in a nationstate where we may get the russian political model of one party with incompetent opposition funded by people who also run the one party

the US?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:mmmhmm:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The New Statesman posted:

THE STAGGERS 23 JUNE 2017
Lord Sainsbury pulls funding from Progress and other political causes
The longstanding Labour donor will no longer fund party political causes.

Centrist Labour MPs face a funding gap for their ideas after the longstanding Labour donor Lord Sainsbury announced he will stop financing party political causes.

Sainsbury, who served as a New Labour minister and also donated to the Liberal Democrats, is instead concentrating on charitable causes.

Lord Sainsbury funded the centrist organisation Progress, dubbed the “original Blairite pressure group”, which was founded in mid Nineties and provided the intellectual underpinnings of New Labour.

The former supermarket boss is understood to still fund Policy Network, an international thinktank headed by New Labour veteran Peter Mandelson.

He has also funded the Remain campaign group Britain Stronger in Europe. The latter reinvented itself as Open Britain after the Leave vote, and has campaigned for a softer Brexit. Its supporters include former Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg and Labour's Chuka Umunna, and it now relies on grassroots funding.

Sainsbury said he wished to “hand the baton on to a new generation of donors” who supported progressive politics.

Progress director Richard Angell said: “Progress is extremely grateful to Lord Sainsbury for the funding he has provided for over two decades. We always knew it would not last forever.”

The organisation has raised a third of its funding target from other donors, but is now appealing for financial support from Labour supporters. Its aims include “stopping a hard-left take over” of the Labour party and “renewing the ideas of the centre-left”.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
supporting existing social democratic policies and refusing more cuts == a hard left take-over

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol almost all of the money labour raised is from nomral people rather than super rich donors so its probably not a big loss money wise

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Dreylad posted:

I ought to write up something about what the Canadian Liberal Party nationally and provincially (in Ontario) is doing and has done historically to marginalize left-wing parties - and counteract their own growing unpopularity - by adopting popular left-wing policies at the right moment, but this is very true

Another bit of evidence can be found in this interview with this 30 year old trade unionist who was just elected as a Labour MP:

quote:

Voters really seemed to respect the integrity and decency of Jeremy Corbyn. Back in 2010, when we lost the election, so many people in party politics found political guidance in the polls. They wanted to know what the British people thought on issues such as, say, immigration; judging by the polls, they would assume that anyone who didn’t take a tough line on that issue couldn’t perform well electorally.

But that’s been turned on its head now. Jeremy has succeeded in breaking through and setting an agenda. On the doorsteps, people were telling me, “Oh, well I don’t quite agree with him on this or that issue, but I’m going to vote for him because he’s decent and honest, and has the right values.” It’s refreshing for politics, and it’s good for parliament.

Unsurprisingly, Corbyn is still well to the left of a lot of potential Labour voters in certain areas like foreign policy or the monarchy but overall was seen as having good and consistent "values" that were supportive of regular people and their struggles. Focusing on being a credible and consistent voice in favour of working people goes a really long way when the public has gotten so inured to hearing the same tired sloganeering again and again.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I think it was zizek in tragedy and farce (or maybe it was living in the end times, I forget), that said that the left today had to start with putting forward moderate policy of the social democracy of yesteryear, because even that would be too intolerable and would get shut down, and in the process of shutting that down, the center exposes itself as purely self-interested in furthering exploitation, and that that would lead to communism

and by god, he's right

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

lol when did Zizek turn into a trot?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
never? the point is that what was once very middle of the road stuff is now being intentionally cast as 'hard left', and impossible and unpragmatic and blah blah blah

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/sta...r%3D609%23pti34

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

rudatron posted:

never? the point is that what was once very middle of the road stuff is now being intentionally cast as 'hard left', and impossible and unpragmatic and blah blah blah

I kid, I kid, it's the obvious and intuitive path forward right now (followed, of course, by actually winning power and implementing policies that improve people's lives), it just also happens to be pretty close to the kind of programme you can hear outlined by some earnest news-paper selling kids on your local college campus

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

is this like trump with the claim that he set the record for electoral college votes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Theresa May is what some people like to call a "smart idiot."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I didn't think it was possible to get a bigger Schadenfreude-high than David Cameron going down in history as the pig-loving-brexiteer but somehow Theresa May's downfall seems even more personally humiliating.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Helsing posted:

I didn't think it was possible to get a bigger Schadenfreude-high than David Cameron going down in history as the pig-loving-brexiteer but somehow Theresa May's downfall seems even more personally humiliating.

If the call centre thing actually gets investigated the snap election could yet become an even greater farce

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

they both look ed stoned

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

:thermidor:

also

https://twitter.com/GerryAdamsSF/status/878253490513952768

same gerry, same

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Theresa May is what some people like to call a "smart idiot."

i take it those people are other idiots

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

why did it take 12 years working as a doctor to save up enough money for a 300k home?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i take it those people are other idiots

They're what some people would call clever morons.

brugroffil posted:

why did it take 12 years working as a doctor to save up enough money for a 300k home?

Cash upfront?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

drat, I went to check if he doubled down or apologised in light of the inevitable fury he'd brought down on himself but he's already deleted his account lmao

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baron Corbyn posted:

drat, I went to check if he doubled down or apologised in light of the inevitable fury he'd brought down on himself but he's already deleted his account lmao

apparently it's a fake account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

cool, im liking this game of spot the cunts

Baron Corbyn posted:

tragic, jest tragic