Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Holy poo poo what is going on?
This is like some sort of surreal, collaborative campaign. It happened not that long ago, too -- same exact poo poo. A few months back a bunch of right-wing cartoonists all simultaneously, collectively, began running comics to the tune of "Pelosi is holding Democrats back, she must be discarded". It wasn't even apparently in the wake of any major news item; it was as if the order had come down from their masters that this was the new talking point and they all had to hit it. And now, materializing from the loving ether, comes another perfectly coordinated campaign to the exact same tune. The right wing really, really wants Pelosi gone, it seems.

Which, of course, would be in the best interest of the Democrats! When your enemy stop gloating and sneering for a few seconds and goes "boy you guys should really drop that one person on your team, you'd fight MUCH better against us without her!" then obviously it's sound and reliable advice from the goodness of their hearts. Republicans play fair and just want to see Democrats put up the best front they can, which is why they're giving them such helpful advice.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I swear to god one day the RW toonists are going to draw comics saying Dems should drink more water and some people here will dehydrate themselves to death.

Personally I think Pelosi is fine, but we should be Def trying to bring up a replacement, she's not going to last forever.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

The fact that those are some decent looking cartoon clouds tells me Kirschen had nothing whatsoever to do with creating them.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Yay, incoming Johnny Depp cartoons.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 23, 2017

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Sandpuppy posted:

The fact that those are some decent looking cartoon clouds tells me Kirschen had nothing whatsoever to do with creating them.
Background image on the Simpsons wikia page:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Rincewinds posted:

Yay, incoming Johnny Depp cartoons.

he dead??

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Kurtofan posted:

he dead??

nope, he just joked about assassinating the president:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40377075

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Trapezium Dave posted:

hahahaha what

the only search term I can find that brings it up immediately is simpsons clouds

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016

Cpt.Americant posted:

We haven't had a leadership race since before the Iraq War. But because she's good at wrangling votes, no one wants to run against her.

Chiming in to agree with the people arguing that there's no reason to throw out an adept parliamentarian just because Republicans hate her, but I'm especially curious where you're getting this part from. It's not that she's had one decade+ term; she's been re-elected to the position over and over because she's very good at her job.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Remember, Tinsley, no matter how drunk you get ... you still won't ever be Jeff McNally.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cpt.Americant posted:

Hey, here's an idea, let's find out! Since elections are decided by who voters pick, maybe we should try offering them someone who doesn't already have a -20 approval. Why should we be making the job harder?

She's been there 16 years already, how long exactly do you think is an appropriate term length for someone to run a legislative party who has spent most of that time in the minority?

I had no idea that the job of the leader of the House cat herders, in charge of making sure Democrats vote as a bloc, was responsible for running the party. I could have sworn we had a gently caress-mothering campaign and vote about 4 months ago and elected Tom Perez to the position, but I guess he's actually just a decoy from the real leader.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Tinsley has finally realised that the system is structurally aligned against young people, AGC

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
"Eh, what's up, Doc?"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Okay, is that supposed to be his Hillary caricature, or is it just a generic woman?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ultraklystron posted:

nope, he just joked about assassinating the president:

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/40377075

oh johnny

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Abyssal Squid posted:

I have no clue what the intended message is supposed to be, so I'm deliberately choosing to (probably mis) read this as "the Dems' moral victories have been empty, but 'Republican moral victories' is a category that doesn't exist."

What Democrats are saying about the Georgia race is that Ossof lost to Handel by less than you might expect. The term moral victory refers to when, like, the other guy had a huge advantage but the losing side can still hold their head up high because, if things were fair in this world, they'd have trounced them. This cartoon is taking that way of thinking, and pointing out well, who loving cares? There's all your Democrat's who'd have won in lala land, doing gently caress-all here in reality.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon:

https://twitter.com/CEOSleepout/status/877812107168763904

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

Reminder that this plagiarist actually wants money to teach people how to draw.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Mr. Squishy posted:

What Democrats are saying about the Georgia race is that Ossof lost to Handel by less than you might expect. The term moral victory refers to when, like, the other guy had a huge advantage but the losing side can still hold their head up high because, if things were fair in this world, they'd have trounced them. This cartoon is taking that way of thinking, and pointing out well, who loving cares? There's all your Democrat's who'd have won in lala land, doing gently caress-all here in reality.

Completely misses the point. It's not that Ossof would have won if it was 'fair' it's that the massive swing to the democrats in this and other special elections paints a very optimistic picture for 2018. Y'know the election that actually matters? The one where winning would actually make a difference?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:tinsley: keeps making this horrible my-third-grade-teacher-crossed-with-a-hamster cartoon and I am sick of it.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Pants Donkey posted:

Reminder that this plagiarist actually wants money to teach people how to draw.

Reminder Reminder: This plagiarist is the one who shrieked about copyright infringement when someone did a parody of his cartoon that was drawn from scratch.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Liz 2 mentioned some upcoming state visits in her speech to Parliament, but she left Trump out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Playstation 4 posted:

I swear to god one day the RW toonists are going to draw comics saying Dems should drink more water and some people here will dehydrate themselves to death.

They'll only ever say that in reference to stuff like Flint's tap water.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Selachian posted:

Liz 2 mentioned some upcoming state visits in her speech to Parliament, but she left Trump out.

On the other hand, it's a monarch, so really kind of worthless.

Trump still a garbage person and pres tho.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Relevant to previous discussion if not cartoons per se: I wasn't kidding about Rodney Stooksbury, the last guy before Ossoff to run for GA-06's Congress seat, apparently not existing

quote:

According to one investigation, “when reporters went to his town house in Sandy Springs, no one answered the door. When they inquired with the neighbors, no one had heard of him. He apparently had run no campaign, and had raised no money.”
That’s why this Stooksbury nonsense is particularly galling in light of Ossoff’s defeat. Democrats had spent years not making any attempt to build an organizing infrastructure in the district, on the theory that it was pointless. Then, when an opportunity suddenly opened, they had to suddenly produce a real candidate and flood the district with as much money as possible. But imagine what would have happened if, instead of just lazily running Stooksbury after Stooksbury, Democrats had put some effort into trying to establish a serious well-organized presence there.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Playstation 4 posted:

The British monarchy is the British government's way of buttering up or insulting foreign leaders. If they like you or want something from you, you get a grand state dinner with the Queen as a prize.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The Bold Kobold posted:

Yeah, Illinois is definitely a dumpster fire right now.

Oh yeah, time to see what Allie is up to these days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BarbarianElephant posted:

The British monarchy is the British government's way of buttering up or insulting foreign leaders. If they like you or want something from you, you get a grand state dinner with the Queen as a prize.

But you don't offer that prize without permission. The Queen is one of the savviest political operators in the world. Prime Ministers mess with her at their peril, as Theresa May is now finding out.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Pelosi literally has nothing to do with elections. Stop being as poorly informed as GOP voters.

Meh, I'm just desperate for someone, anyone, to show some Democratic leadership now that Obama is gone.

I understand that she is just in charge of the minority, but how much leadership does the GOP get from Paul Ryan? The current Dems seems like a headless beast, no one is in charge. As much as I love Hilary, she made this problem worse by how strong her influence was.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Playstation 4 posted:

What possible gender could the queen be...

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Jedit posted:

But you don't offer that prize without permission. The Queen is one of the savviest political operators in the world. Prime Ministers mess with her at their peril, as Theresa May is now finding out.

That would be neat. But she has wined and dined plenty of absolute fuckers before.

I think the British government doesn't want Trump to visit, as British people hate him and would demonstrate. Embarrassing.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

loquacius posted:

Relevant to previous discussion if not cartoons per se: I wasn't kidding about Rodney Stooksbury, the last guy before Ossoff to run for GA-06's Congress seat, apparently not existing

Reading this is the mental equivalent of a dolly-in/zoom out. I need to sit down for a few minutes...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Playstation 4 posted:

England is traditionally one of the easiest diplomatic relationship the US has so this is a sign of just how badly Trump has hosed up interactions with the rest of the world.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Mr. Squishy posted:

What possible gender could the queen be...

loving lol with this royalist apologia. Monarchies are garbage and should be dismantled as a matter of principle for representing what they do.

But I guess instead of thinking it's just easier to go "hm quen woman :thunk:"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I've never met so hard-line a republican that insists monarchs are gender neutral. Even lizards have genders.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Mr. Squishy posted:

I've never met so hard-line a republican that insists monarchs are gender neutral. Even lizards have genders.

Is this supposed to read like a Markov chain? Congrats, a monarch ignored trump. You want an actual burn, draw Leader of The Free World™ Angela Merkel dunking on his dumb rear end again.

E: Reading again, nevermind. I'm Canadian, not British, so calling myself "republican" isn't a thing much due to associations from you guys. You came across as a pithy "hurr sexism" defense of not acknowledging a leader I consider illegitimate.

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 23, 2017

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Squashy Nipples posted:

Meh, I'm just desperate for someone, anyone, to show some Democratic leadership now that Obama is gone.

I understand that she is just in charge of the minority, but how much leadership does the GOP get from Paul Ryan? The current Dems seems like a headless beast, no one is in charge. As much as I love Hilary, she made this problem worse by how strong her influence was.

I don't think the problem is a lack of leadership. Who was in charge of the Democrats in 2006 when they took control of both chambers without losing a single seat? Who was in charge of the Republicans in 2010?

We on the left have a real problem with looking for one person who's going to solve everything. It happened with Obama, it happened with Bernie, it happened with the DNC race and it's happened with these special elections. This doesn't jibe with how change actually happens and causes a... manic-depressive cycle of enthusiasm and disillusionment that isn't healthy.

And it's especially weird that the left cares much more about Messianic figures than the right, because by definition our resources are fewer and it's harder for us to concentrate power in a few.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Shangri-Law School posted:

I don't think the problem is a lack of leadership. Who was in charge of the Democrats in 2006 when they took control of both chambers without losing a single seat? Who was in charge of the Republicans in 2010?

We on the left have a real problem with looking for one person who's going to solve everything. It happened with Obama, it happened with Bernie, it happened with the DNC race and it's happened with these special elections. This doesn't jibe with how change actually happens and causes a... manic-depressive cycle of enthusiasm and disillusionment that isn't healthy.

And it's especially weird that the left cares much more about Messianic figures than the right, because by definition our resources are fewer and it's harder for us to concentrate power in a few.

Messianic figures are the lottery of politics, and we are still cashing in our 2008 jackpot to keep trying again, and now we're going bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Squashy Nipples posted:

Obama was not the Dem leader either in spirit or reality? In one hand, he's criticized for aloof, wet noodle bipartisanship and not being an actual Dem. In the other, he provided this amorphous "dem leadership." Which was it? I'd argue that, given the tiny role he played in the last election cycle, Obama hasn't been the Dem leader for some years.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I understand that she is just in charge of the minority, but how much leadership does the GOP get from Paul Ryan?

The GOP gets no direction from Paul Ryan. Pail Ryan is a powerless follower. He answers to Mitch McConnell. Period.

The only entity McConnell answers to are moneyed interests and, to a lesser degree, the House Freedom Caucus (and, by extension, the neo-nihilistic Republican far right Tea Party base). Side note, there's no indication the new semipopulist crossover voters that elected Trump actually have any congressional or policy power whatsoever - Trump keeps either flubbing the play or just following McConnell's corporate GOP.

Squashy Nipples posted:

The current Dems seems like a headless beast, no one is in charge. As much as I love Hilary, she made this problem worse by how strong her influence was.

I mean, name for me three great past leader of the Dems. Obama is your freebie.

The left has never been much of a cult of personality - certainly not in the same way that we're all familiar with the GOP's most notorious cartoon villain leaders and information spinners.

• Locked thread