Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pivo posted:

Apple hasn't cared about jailbreak in a long time.

Chances are the phone needs a logic board swap and if that happens, good bye precious jail breakable release. It's not about Apple caring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Chances are the phone needs a logic board swap and if that happens, good bye precious jail breakable release. It's not about Apple caring.

Oh, yeah. Derp. If you're holding on to an old iOS, yeah. I thought in the context of what Apple will repair, JB doesn't matter. But yeah.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What's the main appeal to jailbreaking? Wouldn't you rather just go with Android if you want to do that kind of stuff?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Social Animal posted:

What's the main appeal to jailbreaking? Wouldn't you rather just go with Android if you want to do that kind of stuff?

If you live in a cold climate and need a hand warmer, it's pretty good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Social Animal posted:

Wanting to customize things != Using android apps

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Social Animal posted:

You know how Apple makes good decisions generally, but sometimes messes one or two things totally up?

Also, like 50% of new iOS features starting from iOS 7 were available as tweaks years before they were integrated into the OS. Take Control Center, for example. Debuted in iOS 7. Was a jailbreak tweak called SBSettings since iOS 4. Similar story for features like Night Shift and Quick Replying to messages.

Also, even though Apple lifted these features whole sale, they objectively did them worse. F.lux does a way better job at warming your screen over time than Night Shift, which initially did it abruptly as soon as the time change happened. BiteSMS did quick reply for texts in a superior fashion as well, compared to pulling down a text notification. I could go on, and on and on.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bobfather posted:

You know how Apple makes good decisions generally, but sometimes messes one or two things totally up?

Also, like 50% of new iOS features starting from iOS 7 were available as tweaks years before they were integrated into the OS. Take Control Center, for example. Debuted in iOS 7. Was a jailbreak tweak called SBSettings since iOS 4. Similar story for features like Night Shift and Quick Replying to messages.

Also, even though Apple lifted these features whole sale, they objectively did them worse. F.lux does a way better job at warming your screen over time than Night Shift, which initially did it abruptly as soon as the time change happened. BiteSMS did quick reply for texts in a superior fashion as well, compared to pulling down a text notification. I could go on, and on and on.

Half of this poo poo drains your battery like crazy, or looks like complete poo poo. And opens up your phone to exploits outside of zero day stuff. Jail breaking is really silly at this point.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

Half of this poo poo drains your battery like crazy, or looks like complete poo poo. And opens up your phone to exploits outside of zero day stuff. Jail breaking is really silly at this point.

i suppose I'll trust you, guy who seems to trust Buzzfeed headlines, over my own personal experiences with jail breaking iPhones 3GS, 4s, 5s, 6s, and iPads 1, 3, Air 2, and Pro.

Also, in the past 2 years IOS has been hit with at least 3 0-day exploits that could crash and/or hack iOS through malformed text messages, or by visiting a hostile website. The jailbreak community had fixes for all these exploits within 24 hours. Apple took like 4 days to publish the point releases that fixed those bugs.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bobfather posted:

i suppose I'll trust you, guy who seems to trust Buzzfeed headlines, over my own personal experiences with jail breaking iPhones 3GS, 4s, 5s, 6s, and iPads 1, 3, Air 2, and Pro.

Also, in the past 2 years IOS has been hit with at least 3 0-day exploits that could crash and/or hack iOS through malformed text messages, or by visiting a hostile website. The jailbreak community had fixes for all these exploits within 24 hours. Apple took like 4 days to publish the point releases that fixed those bugs.

I jailbroke back in the iPhone 4 days. I've kept an eye on it since. It's still terrible.

If you want to janitor a phone buy an android.

But thanks for the buzzfeed comment.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Nah, he's right. If you JBed and used well-developed tweaks, they were stable and greatly improved the experience. Now that Apple has integrated most of the good ones, I don't see a point in jailbreaking these days either, but it was really crucial in those days.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sorry I busted in here and went on a rant. I still have PTSD from those JBing days.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

I jailbroke back in the iPhone 4 days. I've kept an eye on it since. It's still terrible.

If you want to janitor a phone buy an android.

But thanks for the buzzfeed comment.

I don't run any interface tweaks, but here's some examples of things I like:

YouTube ad blocking and background audio
Being able to dim the screen darker than lowest brightness settings
Being able to change control center toggles to my own preference; i.e. Calculator icon opens up pCalc instead
Safari swipe gestures just like Firefox/Chrome mouse gestures
Picture-in-picture video, for any video
Tapping the TouchID sensor works like pushing the home button

If you can't see how being able to swipe an "L" gesture to close a Safari tab would make your life easier and better, there's just no hope for you.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bobfather posted:

I don't run any interface tweaks, but here's some examples of things I like:

YouTube ad blocking and background audio
Being able to dim the screen darker than lowest brightness settings
Being able to change control center toggles to my own preference; i.e. Calculator icon opens up pCalc instead
Safari swipe gestures just like Firefox/Chrome mouse gestures
Picture-in-picture video, for any video
Tapping the TouchID sensor works like pushing the home button

If you can't see how being able to swipe an "L" gesture to close a Safari tab would make your life easier and better, there's just no hope for you.

I'm very happy for you that you've managed to work these things into your daily use but I don't have any of this nor does any of it appeal to me.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Pivo posted:

Nah, he's right. If you JBed and used well-developed tweaks, they were stable and greatly improved the experience. Now that Apple has integrated most of the good ones, I don't see a point in jailbreaking these days either, but it was really crucial in those days.

Pretty much on point. I remember iOS 5(?) release as a 'massacre' to JB devs, and I think I last did it in iOS 7, but the sentiment remains the same. Not worth the hassle vs the 3GS--5 days.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Uh I dunno, picture in picture on an iPhone sounds sweet. Dunno why it's still not on the larger iPhones 😤

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Priority hub is one tweak I really really miss and made iOS notifications 100 times better. It grouped them by type and basically gave you a tab interface for them on the lock screen. Also had a really easy pull down to dismiss all in that group.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Useful as that looks, it’s not blessed by Apple so the whole enterprise is dumb. Also probably kills batteries dead. I’m excited to see it in iOS 14 though!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

regarding jailbreaks, back in the old iOS days your JB pretty much lasted until you restored or otherwise updated the iOS software. now I've read poo poo about losing the JB just by rebooting the phone, and there's some hassle with a Cydia app that you have to run after reboot, and that has to be replaced every week. how did it come to that? like, I know apple cracks down as hard as they can on that stuff, but ELI5 what they did with the OS to make jailbreaking such a pain in the rear end compared to before.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

ulvir posted:

regarding jailbreaks, back in the old iOS days your JB pretty much lasted until you restored or otherwise updated the iOS software. now I've read poo poo about losing the JB just by rebooting the phone, and there's some hassle with a Cydia app that you have to run after reboot, and that has to be replaced every week. how did it come to that? like, I know apple cracks down as hard as they can on that stuff, but ELI5 what they did with the OS to make jailbreaking such a pain in the rear end compared to before.

The most recent jailbreaks have relied upon Apple (recently) allowing people to run custom code in the form of IPAs on their device, without being a paid developer. Note that running custom IPAs has always been possible to do if you were a paid developer. This custom code contains the direct means to jailbreak a given version of iOS on the device itself.

If you're a paid developer, you can sign this IPA and the certificate Apple gives you will last for a year. If you aren't a paid dev, the certificate will only last 7 days. You can resign the IPA as many times as you want.

The jailbreak works indefinitely until you reboot your phone. But once you reboot the jailbreak is inactive until you rerun the IPA on your phone. This is as simple as opening it and pressing "go", but that IPA is only valid for 7 days to 1 year. If the certificate has expired, you'll have to resign the IPA before you can jailbreak again. Sounds like a pain, but there are now at least 2 apps out that will resign the IPA for you automatically. Otherwise you need access to a computer to resign it.

Older jailbreaks used an "untether", which basically allows users to retain their jailbreak through phone reboots without needing to reapply the jailbreak. For all intents and purposes, these jailbreaks were "permanent" until you restored iOS.

Untether exploits are apparently hard to find and are not necessary at all to actually jailbreak a phone, so the security teams stopped trying to find them. This is possible to do because now the phones have the ability to jailbreak themselves using the IPAs discussed above.

Your tl;dr is that untethers aren't needed any more because the phone can now natively run the code needed to jailbreak itself, with some limitations.

Edit: one advantage of this new way of jailbreaking is that when you reboot, your phone is fully back to stock. You can still see app icons for jailbroken apps, but the phone will otherwise pass a visual inspection for being stock. Useful if you're at an Apple Store trying to get a screen replacement.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jun 23, 2017

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Jail breaking was nice in the same way rooting android was nice: phones were new, so basic features were not rolled out yet, so it was a way to get them early.

Now that phones do pretty much everything you need / want them to do, jail breaking and rooting is pretty pointless. If you want to do it go for it, but it's basically a waste of time.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

since they still take a while to roll out new JBs, I assume there's still difficulties in finding the loopholes for inserting your own IPAs?

Duckman2008 posted:

Jail breaking was nice in the same way rooting android was nice: phones were new, so basic features were not rolled out yet, so it was a way to get them early.

Now that phones do pretty much everything you need / want them to do, jail breaking and rooting is pretty pointless. If you want to do it go for it, but it's basically a waste of time.

yeah, I've never rooted any of my android phones, and I stopped jailbreaking once control centre was introduced in iOS proper way back when. I don't see myself jailbreaking what'll most likely be my next phone either. I was just curious about the technicalities

ulvir fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 23, 2017

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Only jailbreak feature I miss from my iPhone 4 days is the one that gave me a three second window to cancel sending a text if I wanted to. Never had to worry about autocorrect typos back in the day.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Everytime I have to use the current garbage iOS quick reply I'm reminded just how good biteSMS's quick reply was. That app was fantastic.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Voodoo posted:

Everytime I have to use the current garbage iOS quick reply I'm reminded just how good biteSMS's quick reply was. That app was fantastic.

Yeah I never use Quick Reply. It seems really hacked together. What's wrong with spending less than 1 second touching the home button? Seems like yet another Bullshit Feature to market but never use.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Voodoo posted:

Why do some people jailbreak?

BiteSMS - SMS quick reply available for jailbroken users since iOS 1. Had true quick reply from any app (multitasking like 7 years before Apple got around to it). Got features to schedule texts. You could delay sending texts so you could cancel one you didn't mean to send. You could send texts from the lock screen without unlocking the phone. iOS still doesn't have any of these features.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 23, 2017

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

ulvir posted:

since they still take a while to roll out new JBs, I assume there's still difficulties in finding the loopholes for inserting your own IPAs?

Less so in finding loopholes to insert new IPAs, and more so in terms of finding the correct series of exploits needed to actually jailbreak a device.

There are fewer jailbreak teams these days because iOS security has continued to get better over time, and because various groups are monetizing finding exploits to be used for various purposes. Apple has a bug bounty that I think has led to some developers getting internships and eventually jobs. The NSA pays for iOS exploits, and so do private firms. A couple Chinese conglomerates pay good money for exploits too.

I figure for every exploit that is found and incorporated to create a free, public jailbreak probably 2-3 other 0-days get found and sold off the any of the above.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Voodoo posted:

The quick reply from the lock screen is pretty awesome though. I use it all the time and really have no issues with it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

The quick reply from the lock screen is pretty awesome though. I use it all the time and really have no issues with it.

On iOS 10 you can reply to a text from the lock screen, but Bite let you compose a new text from the lock screen without unlocking. It was super handy. I guess Siri can do the same though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Touch ID is so fast that it doesn't matter anymore

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Touch ID is great when it works but absolutely infuriating when it doesn't (especially if your fall back is a six digit code like recommended)

The main reason I'd jailbreak is to try and sort out the notification system, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

TouchID has never failed for me. Unless my hands were covered in cheeto dust during a marathon anime binge.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It does occasionally for me. Not very often just enough to be an annoyance.

Funnily enough the sensor on my old phone virtually never failed so I'm a bit disappointed with the iPhone given how much praise its implementation got.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Dave posted:

Priority hub is one tweak I really really miss and made iOS notifications 100 times better. It grouped them by type and basically gave you a tab interface for them on the lock screen. Also had a really easy pull down to dismiss all in that group.

I like the idea of this but pull-down to dismiss is just bad UI design. Everyone knows you swipe left.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's really not. Pull down to dismiss is for the group. Swipe left is still a gesture on the individual notifications.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

dissss posted:

It does occasionally for me. Not very often just enough to be an annoyance.

Funnily enough the sensor on my old phone virtually never failed so I'm a bit disappointed with the iPhone given how much praise its implementation got.

I've only got an iPad Air 2, not iPhone, but it's definitely slower than my Pixel phone. Thought it was supposed to be "so fast you just press the home button like normal and it unlocks", but hasn't been my experience.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Thought it was supposed to be "so fast you just press the home button like normal and it unlocks", but hasn't been my experience.
Nah, the Air 2's 3 years old at this point and doesn't have the newer Touch ID tech found in the 6S and 7. The hypothetical you're describing is definitely my experience on the 7, but not on my Air 2.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

It's the same on my 7 Plus - it's quick and mostly accurate but not as quick or accurate as my old N6P

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Has anyone had issues lately with Safari and googling things? I'll type a phrase into the search bar it'll load about a 1/4 of the page and then just hang forever.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

RVProfootballer posted:

I've only got an iPad Air 2, not iPhone, but it's definitely slower than my Pixel phone. Thought it was supposed to be "so fast you just press the home button like normal and it unlocks", but hasn't been my experience.

Yeah, it's specific to the second-gen sensor, which is in the 6S and later and the new iPad Pros only. It's the reason they changed from "Rest to unlock" in iOS 9 to "Press to unlock" in iOS 10; people were complaining about missing notifications because they'd use the home button to wake the screen, which would now authenticate so fast they couldn't read the lock screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

carry on then posted:

Yeah, it's specific to the second-gen sensor, which is in the 6S and later and the new iPad Pros only. It's the reason they changed from "Rest to unlock" in iOS 9 to "Press to unlock" in iOS 10; people were complaining about missing notifications because they'd use the home button to wake the screen, which would now authenticate so fast they couldn't read the lock screen.

Ah alright, good to know. Doesn't bother me amyway, just something I noticed.