Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are you implying that there may be more than one Kellyanne Conway?

Picture the reactor core scene in Isolation, but with a bunch of Conway's scampering over the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Xae posted:

I honestly can't tell who is "ironically" low effort leftist poo poo posting and who is just low effort leftist poo poo posting.

They're all sincere, except for maybe C. Everett Coop, the guy who's basically calling for Obama voters to be executed.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

BarbarianElephant posted:

Wow, that's paranoid. Look up the election results. Observe the winner.

Losing in a very creditable way is still losing. Just ask Hillary Clinton, winner of the popular vote for POTUS, and leader of ... not much.

That's an erroneous comparison though, gaining a shitload of seats and damaging the other party isn't the same as having almost no political power

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Lord posted:

That's an erroneous comparison though, gaining a shitload of seats and damaging the other party isn't the same as having almost no political power

Hahaha, shhhh, no, we can't point out the obvious, it might make them consider trying something new instead of running Centrist #21245 for the next seat.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

in 2 years a bunch of US coal miners trapped in a collapsed mine will recognize the irony of all this.

What country will these US coal miners be working in?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

happyhippy posted:

A bunch meaning like 3 or 4.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I can no longer process politics in this country. Republicans are going to kill as many poor people as they can and no one can do anything about it. It's basically a class based holocaust we are about to witness.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Rollersnake posted:

And his ex-wife's name is Gay.

They were married for 28 years yet still got an annulment from the Catholic Church. Pope, you are getting soft.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

If the UK decided "lol jk" would they have to renegotiate entry after an exit at this point?

It would almost certainly go to the European court to decide. The wording of Article 50 makes no mention about what happens if a member changes their mind after invoking it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

happyhippy posted:

Trump's America™

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Lightning Lord posted:

The idea that Ossoff's loss and Corbyn's loss are in any way comparable events is a thing I've seen a lot of simpletons talking about in the last couple days.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

WampaLord posted:

Then I can only hope the Dems "lose" as badly as Labour did in 2018.

You loving idiot, you simpleton.

A similar result for the Dems in 2018 would be gaining about 20 seats in the House, leaving the Republicans with a slim majority, but a majority nonetheless.

I doubt very many people here would be hailing that as a huge victory.

ozmunkeh posted:

The idea that Ossoff's loss and Corbyn's loss are in any way comparable events is a thing I've seen a lot of simpletons talking about in the last couple days.

Yeah, it's bizarre to even be comparing the two in the first place, given the differences between the two systems.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lightning Lord posted:

It is, but partly because "gaining a shitload of seats and damaging the other party" wasn't actually POSSIBLE in 2017 either. The Constitution literally has no mechanism to make that happen. A handful of special elections could not produce the result that a general election did even if Democrats somehow ran the table in solid red districts... which probably won't happen even if they somehow win a landslide in 2018.

If the Democrats take the House in 2018 it will be comparable but... we have to wait until 2018 for that to even be possible.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Koirhor posted:

I can no longer process politics in this country. Republicans are going to kill as many poor people as they can and no one can do anything about it. It's basically a class based holocaust we are about to witness.

It's easy to understand: gently caress you got mine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Please take Dem chat to the Dem thread, I'm sick of even thinking about them.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I can't even begin to imagine what 2018 will look like considering all the poo poo that's happened over just 5 months.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm yes if only we'd ran on the platform of increasing the minimum wage, raising taxes and providing more services to the poor the GA-06 voters with their median income of $72,832 would have fallen all over themselves to get to the polls.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Dietrich posted:

Hmm yes if only we'd ran on the platform of raising taxes and providing more services to the poor the GA-06 voters with their median income of $72,832 would have fallen all over themselves to get to the polls.

They did though. They just voted R.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Fulchrum posted:

Hey, guess what kind of improvement the special elections showed for Dems? Also, are you really gonna try and claim Murdochs tabloids wield more influence and power than his prize creation, the American RIght Wing Hate Engine?
Yes. No contest. The American Right Wing Hate Engine controls the Republican party. The British Right Wing Hate Engine, until Corbyn, controlled both the Conservative party and the Labour party. The trick is that British tabloids will sometimes back Labour if their policies are sufficiently evil, as they did with Blair, so they can't just be ignored the way Democrats ignore Fox News.

Also, it's not so much that Labour improved their previous result by 11% (although that does help) as the actual, tangible effects. Essentially none of the Tories' favoured policies will be able to get through Parliament now, hard Brexit is off the table, knives are being sharpened for Theresa May, the Labour party is now a unified and effective opposition (as opposed to the cartoon fistfight dust cloud it was before the election), and there will almost certainly be another general election within a year which we will win - so the Tories will be in power for less time than they otherwise would have been. We're not just comforting ourselves at having lost less badly than expected, this is a genuine victory with significant short-term impact. It's just not total victory.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

We're not just comforting ourselves at having lost less badly than expected, this is a genuine victory with significant short-term impact. It's just not total victory.

No, I'm sorry, the narrative is that you "lost" and therefore there's nothing to be learned from the situation. Thanks for playing.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Rudoku posted:

66,493 less republicans turned out for the special election than the presidential election in 2016; 5k less than the 2014 mid-term. just as many dems voted in the special election as the presidential election; 53,407 more than the 2014 midterm

shut the gently caress up about the ga06 election

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Rudoku posted:

Not really.

The R's showed up like it was a mid-term, while the D's showed up like it was a presidential election.

Unfortunately the R midterm electorate is bigger than the D presidential electorate, so the D lost.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

WampaLord posted:

No, I'm sorry, the narrative is that you "lost" and therefore there's nothing to be learned from the situation. Thanks for playing.

Take this poo poo to the performative misery thread. Leave this thread. Don't post in it again until you're willing to stop parroting Republican talking points. Either they're playing you for a chump, or you want to hurt the Democratic Party more than you actually want to help other human beings. Either way, your posts here do nothing but stroke your own ego while trying to hurt other people. Get out.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A lovely Reporter posted:

Take this poo poo to the performative misery thread. Leave this thread. Don't post in it again until you're willing to stop parroting Republican talking points. Either they're playing you for a chump, or you want to hurt the Democratic Party more than you actually want to help other human beings. Either way, your posts here do nothing but stroke your own ego while trying to hurt other people. Get out.

Feel free to quote one Republican talking point I've "parroted." I don't want to hurt the party, I want to make it better.

But, fine, I will drop the subject.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Good good shut up about ossoff

Not emptyquoting.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I still don't get how "leftism" would be more popular and welcome than "centrism" in a deep red state.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

WampaLord posted:

Feel free to quote one Republican talking point I've "parroted." I don't want to hurt the party, I want to make it better.

But, fine, I will drop the subject.

Either way, you're being really aggressive. Just relax, friend.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Avirosb posted:

I still don't get how "leftism" would be more popular and welcome than "centrism" in a deep red state.

It's like that scene in high school movies where one of the jocks who hangs out with the bad alpha bully realizes that being a jerk isn't cool and he switches sides. You just need to find the right words.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Avirosb posted:

You can make a case for single payer being helpful for super rich people too, since business owners won't have to pay healthcare costs anymore which are a gigantic expense currently. Or things like legal weed, which raise revenue and reduce policing costs. There's plenty of leftist policies that people in a "deep red state" might respond to, we'll only know if we try.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I saw folks above who were wondering how to contact their representatives in Congress and whether or not doing so was worthwhile.

It's more worthwhile than posting on a dead gay comedy forum.

One tool I've been using is the "Resistbot" app. Text message "Resist" to 50409, and it will help you figure out who your representatives are, then help you format your text messages into a paper fax that then then fax to your representatives' offices. Almost as good as a call or letter and you don't have to talk to anyone.

*Shameless plug* https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mezzanine.myreps *Shameless plug*

(sorry if you're iPhone, tho. $100 a year is kinda steep just to release one non-profit app :smith: )

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It depends on what you mean by "leftusm". But I feel a democratic candidate HAS to differentiate themselves by taking advantage of popular positions. "I want to make sure workers in this district have a living wage and don't fear bankruptcy from getting sick" as opposed to "I want to cut wasteful spending". They already have a candidate who wants to do that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

You are not "the left," you're a bored rich programmer who doesn't even live in this nation.

Much like the other idiots on this forum who pose as leftists, this country's politics are just an excuse for you to spew angry memes and get congratulations for them. gently caress off with the rest of them.

The only accurate claim here is that I am not American which is true, though I fail to see why this is relevant given that your garbage government is loving over the entire world right now. So the rest of us have every right to be a bit ticked off.

Avirosb posted:

We know you don't get it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It depends on what you mean by "leftusm". But I feel a democratic candidate HAS to differentiate themselves by taking advantage of popular positions. "I want to make sure workers in this district have a living wage and don't fear bankruptcy from getting sick" as opposed to "I want to cut wasteful spending". They already have a candidate who wants to do that.
You might be right.

On the other hand though: "I don't support a living wage!" *Wins*

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Cerebral Bore posted:

We know you don't get it, but that doesn't change the fact that it is.

Are you account sharing?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

WampaLord posted:

I really rather hope they don't lose. I guess that makes me a loving moron somehow (?) But I'd like them to be in power.

Yes, I know. Democrats are a waste. Yawn.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

This is it, when you explain to people what leftist positions mean they are in favor of them; running from them just confirms their pre-conceived notions that leftist policies won't work. If they ask if you're for single payer you should unequivocally say yes, give them nothing to uncover, make them engage you on the issue. Trump understood and did that, even when he had no intention of upholding his promises and even when he didn't actually believe what he was saying. It's why all political attacks fail against him, because they are steeped in that mealy mouth language intended to prevent anyone from being held accountable in the future.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Avirosb posted:

You might be right.

On the other hand though: "I don't support a living wage!" *Wins*

Did her opponent capitalize or attempt to capitalize on that at all? Were there attack ads or him claiming workers need to make enough to afford food and rent? Or did it just appear in a debate only a scant few on the net watched and then get ignored.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
SHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/878259895090335745

spicy helping make known that the president was trying to intimidate comey

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/AliWatkins/status/878257533953167364

Uhhhh... the CIA has evidence of explicit instructions to help Trump by Putin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

Corbyn WISHES he could get the kind of results in blood red districts that Dems managed in the special election over in the UK. Check out the differences in places like Salisbury, where the historic wave Corbyn brought about carried Labour up to the heights of losing by 32%.

• Locked thread