Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Edmond Dantes posted:

Alright, let's fire up Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Well, gently caress me, this game looks pretty and... what do you mean it's not a cutscene and I have control? :staredog:

Man, it's been a while since that happened.

Quick question, how are the difficulty modes?

How good are you with TR's bow mechanics, and how thoroughly do you want to raid tombs? If you're a decent shot and pretty completionist then I'd say Survivor is actually a well-balanced difficulty that won't get too easy as time goes on. Normal is okay if you're planning on just breezing through the main quest but the skills and ability points you get from doing the side content will quickly make killing bad guys very easy. Would not recommend Extreme Survivor for a first playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The Walrus posted:

I've never played it on hard but it's quite easy on normal.

exquisite tea posted:

How good are you with TR's bow mechanics, and how thoroughly do you want to raid tombs? If you're a decent shot and pretty completionist then I'd say Survivor is actually a well-balanced difficulty that won't get too easy as time goes on. Normal is okay if you're planning on just breezing through the main quest but the skills and ability points you get from doing the side content will quickly make killing bad guys very easy. Would not recommend Extreme Survivor for a first playthrough.

Survivor sounds good in that case. I'm not half bad at shooters and I'll probably be exploring every nook and cranny I come across.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shadow225 posted:

:siren: :siren: LOCAL CO-OP EFFORT POST :siren: :siren:

Thanks for this

Also I made the mistake of playing Dishonored 2 for like 3 hours with the powers turned off whoops this is hard as poo poo

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 23, 2017

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Lakitu7 posted:

I still use wired DS3 via https://github.com/nefarius/ScpToolkit drivers.

I used these drivers for the longest though I found em somewhere else, and they work great. Had bluetooth working on W10 as well.

Feel I have to state here the Dark Souls franchise is, without question, the greatest to come along in the last 10 years and its not even close, and truly one of the greatest of all time. Stop listening to people whining about the difficulty, its not even that hard.

I'm just going from my own library here so I'm not sure whats on sale but for the similarly masochistic old school type who enjoys a good 2D adventure with tight controls:

8BitBoy (yeah this is 75% off, a fuckin buck 12 in Canada, BUY IT)
Gunman Clive (its short though)
Rogue Legacy (sooo good)
Volgarr the Viking (now this game is difficult)

Its not 2D but I'll also toss in Oceanhorn which is a mobile port but a decent little Zelda clone.

I really should play through Max Payne 3 again, one of the best single player campaigns I've played in recent years. And on the topic of single player, DOOM was really really good too if you like action oriented shooters.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

Tales of Berseria has been getting some good reviews, is there any important continuity between all the "Tales of X" games or would it be fine to just jump in with that game?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

staplegun posted:

Tales of Berseria has been getting some good reviews, is there any important continuity between all the "Tales of X" games or would it be fine to just jump in with that game?

They're completely unrelated from one another, aside from Destiny and Destiny 2 IIRC.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Does anyone have a list of somewhat short (10 or so hours long) story driven games? Preferably first person?

Just looking for some games that I can finish over a weekend as I'm terrible at resuming games if I've stopped playing for a few days.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Does anyone have a list of somewhat short (10 or so hours long) story driven games? Preferably first person?

Just looking for some games that I can finish over a weekend as I'm terrible at resuming games if I've stopped playing for a few days.

I made a post about Consortium earlier in the thread but the mobile doesn't seem to let me find my own posts in the thread.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harminoff posted:

How story-based are we talking about here? If you want the full-on walking sim experience then Gone Home, Firewatch, and What Remains of Edith Finch can all be completed in a few hours at most and have pretty involving stories.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

raditts posted:

They're completely unrelated from one another, aside from Destiny and Destiny 2 IIRC.

Guess I'm pulling the trigger then. I'm not too hyped about most of the deals this sale but -40% on a 6 month old game seems pretty legit.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm 5 pages behind so forgive me if this has already been posted, but I know some people recommended dead cells:

Bundlestars has dead cells for $12.40 and there's an additional 5% discount code which brings you to $11.78

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Virginia if you want something more unconventional. But I wouldn't recommend it if you don't know what you're getting into. Bold, short, strange, not for everybody.

I'm not sure if I even "like" it, but it certainly left an impression.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Survivor sounds good in that case. I'm not half bad at shooters and I'll probably be exploring every nook and cranny I come across.

That will probably suit you well. I played with a controller, which I am trash at aiming with, and I survived.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

exquisite tea posted:

How story-based are we talking about here? If you want the full-on walking sim experience then Gone Home, Firewatch, and What Remains of Edith Finch can all be completed in a few hours at most and have pretty involving stories.

I really enjoyed firewatch so I'll check out the others, thanks.

I do have consortium but haven't tried it yet so I'll give that a go.

I really enjoyed call of Juarez gunslinger so more like that would be great as well.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Also I don't know if anyone plays it anymore but Humble Bundle has Killing Floor for FREE and doesn't require another purchase to get it.

Killing Floor 2 is 50% off, which is identical to Steam's sale so I don't know why they bothered

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'll floor your kill.

Re: walking stories, it's not first person but Kentucky Route Zero might be up your alley.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Thanks for the review, I'll pass on the game. Been having fun with Dawn of War 3 so I'll just stick to that :)

Also anyone interested in DoW3, green man gaming has it for $30, less than Steam (of course no refund...). Fans of previous games have lots of problems with the game but I find the RTS gameplay fun, with lots of spectacle in the battles that make them very entertaining (though with too many micro abilities to keep track of), but it absolutely is lacking content. It really needs more maps, a co-op mode, at its price point. The campaign's story is stupid but the missions are more fun than not. I don't do competitive multiplayer but I hear it's pretty dead, might pick up a bit because of the sale. I've gotten 30 hours out of my $30 from GMG and am happy with it but I wouldn't recommend the game without reservations however.

Does anyone have some thoughts on Divinity: Dragon Commander, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, or Cossacks 3 they'd like to share? Would appreciate it.

I've picked up Hollow Knight and I might pick up a few more sub-$10 games that look fun.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Harminoff posted:

A Story About My Uncle is a first person puzzle platformer reminiscent of Portal. You get a grappling hook and a later a jet pack to traverse a strange land. There is a story/set of subtle implications for why you're swinging around, so it may be up your alley. Even if it's not the most story intensive game, I would suggest you play it. It's like 3 hours long and pretty solid for the price.

If you liked Gunslinger I wonder if you would like Far Cry Blood Dragon. It's the only Far Cry I've ever played. You are in an 80s neon hellscape doing 80s things. Tons of charm, and tons of fun.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Fall of Cybetron was a load of fun when I played it. Just be aware that it doesn't have co-op like it's predecessor, but the game itself is much more polished. Great game for just wrecking the poo poo out of robots while zooming around.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Between Redout and Formula Fusion which is better if one would only be playing against the AI?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

More people should buy Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments which is the greatest detective game ever made and lets you freely accuse suspects and then choose if you want to go the official route or something more ambiguous. It's an amazing game when it comes to player choice and gathering evidence.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

raditts posted:

Berseria is technically a prequel to Zesteria, but Zesty had Problems and Berseria is fully functional as a self-contained story. There are call-forwards, but they're not crucial.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Palpek posted:

More people should buy Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments which is the greatest detective game ever made and lets you freely accuse suspects and then choose if you want to go the official route or something more ambiguous. It's an amazing game when it comes to player choice and gathering evidence.

That's interesting because Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the Ripper was a loving atrocity, and I assumed they were from the same developer who's put out like 8 Sherlock games in the same series.

Anyone know anything about Narcosis? If VR existing means games will be made for that gimmicky poo poo instead of for normal well-adjusted, cool, smart and above-average-height gamers like the rest of us, then VR can die in a fire.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Palpek posted:

Seriously, this.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've got owlboy, wuppo, and Ori all in my cart.

Is this too much metroidvania for one event?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Palpek posted:

Agreed, I had a lot of fun with it and it actually prompted serious deliberation on some of the cases. I grabbed the sequel, Devil's Daughter, and am hoping it will likewise deliver.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Glare Seethe posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap, small / modest / short games? I'm thinking of stuff like Refunct, Proteus or Mountain, games that offer a short but unique experience, maybe slightly experimental (but doesn't have to be), that you can knock off in a couple of sittings.

Ossuary - $3.99 (-60%) - surreal puzzle adventure game
NaissanceE - $3.74 (-75%) - very atmospheric exploration game, a great experience
McPixel - $0.99 (-80%) - stop the bomb exploding! You have 20 seconds!
Bad Mojo Redux - $0.59 (-90%) - mid 90's FMV adventure game inspired by Kafka

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So I bought Hollow Knight and I really like it but I forgot how bad I am at metroidvania platformer type games. Is Dead Cells any "easier" or is it about the same difficulty?

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Nevvy Z posted:

I bought like 6 metroidvanias (and very recently purchased Ori). Don't Worry About It.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

PlushCow posted:

Thanks for the review, I'll pass on the game. Been having fun with Dawn of War 3 so I'll just stick to that :)

Also anyone interested in DoW3, green man gaming has it for $30, less than Steam (of course no refund...). Fans of previous games have lots of problems with the game but I find the RTS gameplay fun, with lots of spectacle in the battles that make them very entertaining (though with too many micro abilities to keep track of), but it absolutely is lacking content. It really needs more maps, a co-op mode, at its price point. The campaign's story is stupid but the missions are more fun than not. I don't do competitive multiplayer but I hear it's pretty dead, might pick up a bit because of the sale. I've gotten 30 hours out of my $30 from GMG and am happy with it but I wouldn't recommend the game without reservations however.

Does anyone have some thoughts on Divinity: Dragon Commander, Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, or Cossacks 3 they'd like to share? Would appreciate it.

I've picked up Hollow Knight and I might pick up a few more sub-$10 games that look fun.

You're welcome. And if by some miracle you haven't tried it already, MetalGear Rising: Revengeance is everything of 3rd person spectacle swordplay that the chainsaw-wielding Space Marine game is not.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

I heard they are getting around to updating the PC version for current owners to match the ports.

What'd they add to the ports?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I saw a review that said Prey felt like a modern System Shock 2. Is that accurate? The atmosphere in System Shock 2 was really good but the story also helped engage me and I haven't heard anything about Prey's story so I don't want to consider it if the story is pretty meh.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

staplegun posted:

Teeeeeechnically Berseria is related to Zesteria but Berseria is a prequel 1,000+ years in the past so continuity isn't really important.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 23, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Let us pray:

Our Father, who art in Bellevue,
Hallowed be Thy games.
Thy vidya come,
Thy will be done on consoles as it is on PC.
Give us this day our daily card drops,
And forgive us our griefings,
As we forgive those who grief against us.
And lead us not into credit card debt,
But deliver us from EA.
For Thine is the vidya and the power and the glory,
Forever and always.

Gaben.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

axeil posted:

I saw a review that said Prey felt like a modern System Shock 2. Is that accurate? The atmosphere in System Shock 2 was really good but the story also helped engage me and I haven't heard anything about Prey's story so I don't want to consider it if the story is pretty meh.

Yes, Prey is a lovingly crafted homage to System Shock 2 and one of, if not the best, games released this year.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ramc posted:

I've gotten Hollow Knight and Hyperlight Drifter, but it seems like I should really be investing in a controller. Any recommendations for a good (preferably PS2-ish style) USB controller that works on a MacBook Air running OS X?

There's always the Steam Controller . It's flexible as heck and arguably any game can be playable with it, not just ones that support controller input. There's a learning curve, though, and you'll probably spend 5-10 minutes before launching a game so that you have the controls exactly as you want them.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

axeil posted:

the story atmosphere and level design are all top notch. combat is perfunctory or bad depending on who you ask. so yes very system shock. it has 0451 also.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You will, however, not find Levine-esque villains speaking in soliloquies. The writing and setting in Prey are much more understated.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

I just beat Owlboy and I'm not sure I'd call it a metroidvania. It's sort of a 2d adventure game (can't really call it a platformer, either), but it's totally linear and there's barely any exploration in it.

It's fun enough and looks gorgeous but don't expect it to be a metroidvania.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I haven't bought steam games in a while.

Will there be changing daily deals or are the prices as low as they are going to be?

Asking really just about Civ 6

• Locked thread