Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

bessantj posted:

And all I could think was that they make constant videos about her because they're empty vessels and their followers are massive cry babies when it comes to video games.
And its because they don't actually believe anything, they just exist in opposition to a liberal establishment that they mislabel as leftist.

Feminist Frequency has been spectacular for them, without Anita they'd lose a to endlessly moan about without actually having to think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like hbomberguy pointing out that despite all these videos they've made FemFreq hasn't been destroyed and continues to produce vids.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
poor sargon, he must have felt so threatened :( hope he's okay

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
What I love about Feminist Frequency is that this is all just some basic rear end femenist theory that child-men are blowing up about. This isn't even the better stuff.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lovechop posted:

poor sargon, he must have felt so threatened :( hope he's okay

He's coping the only way he knows how

https://twitter.com/GarrettGirton/status/878166797547061248

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What was this? It says it's not available anymore.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

What was this? It says it's not available anymore.

It's a link to her video page, which the forum software assumed was a video link so it tries to turn it into a video, but it's not one.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Kokoro Wish posted:

What I love about Feminist Frequency is that this is all just some basic rear end femenist theory that child-men are blowing up about. This isn't even the better stuff.

I only saw the Mario/princess video I think was her first ever and it was sloppy so I haven't even thought of Anita until two months ago. I'm glad she kept on trucking and refined her craft.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah Feminist Frequency isn't 100% right on all the issues because it often oversimplifies them to benefit the ease of understanding, but its heart is in the right place and so it's really hilarious to watch a bunch of internet whinebabies getting so irate about it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

And its because they don't actually believe anything, they just exist in opposition to a liberal establishment that they mislabel as leftist.

Feminist Frequency has been spectacular for them, without Anita they'd lose a to endlessly moan about without actually having to think about it.

It's amazing that they can say things like "Anita is destroying gaming!" and people really get behind that message as if it's objective truth. We all know that corporations looking to make millions in profit always take note of a youtubers opinions when it comes to making games.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's okay Tamsoft games with their extremely weak gameplay has saved gaming

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

She's dating ChrisRayGun? One of the shittiest gamergaters out there? Sounds like she decided to cash in on that demographic.

she said stop calling centrists in nazis in reference to people dog piling her for dating him. the dude legit posts white genocide memes how the gently caress is he centrist.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bessantj posted:

It's amazing that they can say things like "Anita is destroying gaming!" and people really get behind that message as if it's objective truth. We all know that corporations looking to make millions in profit always take note of a youtubers opinions when it comes to making games.

The thing that shocked me as a "gamer" when the FemFreq series started was the massive whiplash in the gaming community. I remember even as a kid gamers were crying out for their medium to be recognised as art. Five years ago if you'd asked in any gaming community online or otherwise the question "are games art?" You'd have gotten a resounding, full throated "YES".

And then the very day a critic took them seriously and had the temerity to suggest making a show where she'd apply even basic feminist artistic criticism to video games, suddenly video games were "just games" with no artistic or societal merit again.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
ChrisRayGun's the Gamergate:the Musical guy isn't he?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Good post yeah.
Turns out those who identify as gamers are a little bit trash and not a demographic worth a dime.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, isn't she supposed to be a feminist? Or am I confusing her with someone else?

Oh she was, but then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZNSzWIaLo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i dont understand dating an antifeminist. there's no way the guy knows how to eat pussy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

she said stop calling centrists in nazis in reference to people dog piling her for dating him. the dude legit posts white genocide memes how the gently caress is he centrist.
Many Nazis consider themselves centrists. They're still Nazis and should be called as such.

It's like that bad article that was torn apart earlier in the thread, only the polar opposite to liberals on the 'clock face' is actually Nazis not "the far right and far left are really the same guys."

Dancer
May 23, 2011

bessantj posted:

She's already ruined one big title, the cascade is only beginning!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/dishonored/comments/6h9sx3/polygon_criticism_about_female_characters_led_to/ (some shook gamer dudes itt)

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Gorn Myson posted:

Oh, they have plenty of beliefs, they just don't realize that they do. Whatever they happen to believe is obviously the default, so they never have to defend it. If they just destroy the people with ideologies, things will go back to the way they should be.

Reveilled posted:

The thing that shocked me as a "gamer" when the FemFreq series started was the massive whiplash in the gaming community. I remember even as a kid gamers were crying out for their medium to be recognised as art. Five years ago if you'd asked in any gaming community online or otherwise the question "are games art?" You'd have gotten a resounding, full throated "YES".

And then the very day a critic took them seriously and had the temerity to suggest making a show where she'd apply even basic feminist artistic criticism to video games, suddenly video games were "just games" with no artistic or societal merit again.

It was always pretty clear to me that "games are art" meant that they're worthy of respect, not criticism. They always wanted games to have their own Citizen Kane without needing to have their own Orson Welles Shouting about Peas.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So TL;DR might be souring on the whole 'Rational Skeptics" thing. Well, okay, he's souring on the People involved, not any of the terrible philosophies and practises, and therefore is still just as worthy of mocking as before, but seriously?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Well he's not wrong about many of them being in it for the money.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

:lol: Sargon's now changed his Twitter name to "Garbage Human". He's really taking it in stride, I see.

What's sad is that I felt that was important.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Goon Danton posted:

Oh, they have plenty of beliefs, they just don't realize that they do. Whatever they happen to believe is obviously the default, so they never have to defend it. If they just destroy the people with ideologies, things will go back to the way they should be.

It was always pretty clear to me that "games are art" meant that they're worthy of respect, not criticism. They always wanted games to have their own Citizen Kane without needing to have their own Orson Welles Shouting about Peas.

I agree that for those who jumped on the gamergate wagon that was what they meant, but it definitely wasn't everyone. The FemFreq controversy split the gaming community and there were also a huge number of people on Anita's side, there were plenty of articles in the gaming press which were well received at the time talking about how criticism was a great sign of gaming finally going mainstream as a grownup hobby, and expressing both horror at the abuse as well as pride that her kickstarter got so massively overfunded. I think if anything that set up the dominos for Gamergate as the anti-feminist element of the gaming community felt their own press had betrayed them, which explains why the official tag line was "Ethics in video game journalism", because the real anger initially was directed at the journalists who had sided with the thinky PC-obsessed women instead of them.

It took me by surprise at the time because I personally was thrilled my hobby was getting recognition as art, and I thought everyone who had previously agreed with me were on the same page about what that meant. And then suddenly they weren't.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Who was that guy who was anti-GG until that Witcher 3 review that said "This game is goddamn amazing and my only real criticism is its also very white" then he had a full-on meltdown and became virulently alt-right?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Dancer posted:

She's already ruined one big title, the cascade is only beginning!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/dishonored/comments/6h9sx3/polygon_criticism_about_female_characters_led_to/ (some shook gamer dudes itt)

I love the idea that having a totally different playable character with a unique moveset that massively adds to the replayability of Dishonored 2 was openly the result of feminist critique. That must really get up the craw of people saying SJWs are ruining the essence of gaming, videogames are dead!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mojo1701a posted:

:lol: Sargon's now changed his Twitter name to "Garbage Human". He's really taking it in stride, I see.

What's sad is that I felt that was important.

I thought that was some text-replacement thing by Hbomb or something at first until I double-checked. :stare:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Torchlighter posted:

So TL;DR might be souring on the whole 'Rational Skeptics" thing. Well, okay, he's souring on the People involved, not any of the terrible philosophies and practises, and therefore is still just as worthy of mocking as before, but seriously?

Oh wow. Is he breaking with Rational tradition by actually showing some level of introspection? Or is he just mad because he didn't get to go

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Lightning Lord posted:

Who was that guy who was anti-GG until that Witcher 3 review that said "This game is goddamn amazing and my only real criticism is its also very white" then he had a full-on meltdown and became virulently alt-right?

Ian Miles Cheong, the same guy who had GG calling him a Nazi for a year before he joined because of said Witcher review.

He's kinda the most pathetic man alive, and he's covered in ants.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Oh wow. Is he breaking with Rational tradition by actually showing some level of introspection? Or is he just mad because he didn't get to go

TL;DR is the smuggest and most self-righteous bastard alive if Shaun's videos are any indication and of course in typical occasion he couldn't let this opportunity to rail pass him by.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
More likely he's had a falling out with someone behind the scenes and is throwing a temper tantrum, as is the Rational tradition.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Really, I'm kinda surprised that VidCon is even letting these drama magnets in. I mean, they seem to be interested in getting more corporate and mainstream each year, and you'd think that having a bunch of alt-righters showing up and making a stink could hurt that agenda.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Really, I'm kinda surprised that VidCon is even letting these drama magnets in. I mean, they seem to be interested in getting more corporate and mainstream each year, and you'd think that having a bunch of alt-righters showing up and making a stink could hurt that agenda.

To be honest these guys are probably under their radar somewhat. They probably don't give enough of a poo poo about them to recognise them to kick them out.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

And they're probably just smart or spineless enough not to start anything in person

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

LanceHunter posted:

Nerd Cons have never had a good track record of keeping an eye on and dealing with potential troublemakers. Though as SNG said though they probably won't start anything IRL, just try to stir up some Twitter drama as they always do.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

And they're probably just smart or spineless enough not to start anything in person

Yeah, I thought part of the whole point of being a YouTube star was so you wouldn't have to interact with people on a daily basis.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Honestly, a safer bet is that a few more of them will have a falling out as their toxic personalities bubble out and someone does some stupid poo poo.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

i dont understand dating an antifeminist. there's no way the guy knows how to eat pussy.

I like to think it's like that one episode of Sopranos

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Groovelord Neato posted:

She thinks he's strictly anti-SJW, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reveilled posted:

I think if anything that set up the dominos for Gamergate as the anti-feminist element of the gaming community felt their own press had betrayed them, which explains why the official tag line was "Ethics in video game journalism", because the real anger initially was directed at the journalists who had sided with the thinky PC-obsessed women instead of them.

It's the same fight that has been happening in every corner of the nerd community:

1. Nerds set themselves up in some corner of fringe culture. Some of these guys are already the dreg losers we all worry about.
2. Losers glob onto this community, because nerds don't know how to police people out for being creepers, pedos, and bigots. See the nerd social fallacies for details.
3. Culture at large turns and these things become a little more interesting to normal people.
4. Losers get mad, because they realize that if things get normalized, they can't use the hobby for grooming/sex harassment/general creeper and white dude safe space.
5. Losers strike out against the cultural vanguards of normalcy moving in, which generally means women, minorities, etc.

We really haven't gotten to 6 with anything yet with any of this stuff. I'd like to hope it ends up with normal culture fully appropriating the corner, and the losers getting the boot when they don't comply. But it's not a guarantee and requires a lot of work to get done. I'm actually pretty sure video games will get there unless the industry implodes first, because there's real money and culture behind it. Normal culture puts up with some bigotry unfortunately, but the weird sex (body pillows and cranking it to anime) and pedo stuff will get you removed post haste. So these losers will constantly end up having to stay one step away from the long arm of society, or will get owned by even standard bigots like the "What about the memes?" Kekistani was at the Oathkeeper rally.

The real goal for all of us is to make sure that during step 5, these losers don't get to ruin decent people's lives (as happened to Zoe Quinn and her new boyfriend) and make sure they don't scorched earth the culture on their way out the door, like regressive comics fan are trying to do. Because these guys would totally rather something not exist than lose their grasp on it.

• Locked thread