Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Nasgate posted:

I will report back if the quick leak works on mobile :downsgun:

My understanding is that the Bio works and the Sap sticks, but it wears out in real-time, whether you're in the middle of Quick or not. If the target is Heavy that means it doesn't last particularly long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I'm entering the void after picking up all the summons, and wondering if anyone has advice for taking on Omega with a team of Samurai/Samurai/Dancer/Summoner. What kind of level/gear/set up is gonna be required for this team?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Nasgate posted:

I will report back if the quick leak works on mobile :downsgun:

It does not. To be specific, stopping in the middle of a Quick does prevent any actions from taking place, but the timer on Sap is not infinite and will run out eventually. I'm not really sure what they "fixed," i.e. if the original versions' sap has a time limit and they fixed it to run out during a Quick, or if they fixed it by giving it a time limit. But either way, no Quickleaking.

edit: what agradine said

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

OzFactor posted:

It does not. To be specific, stopping in the middle of a Quick does prevent any actions from taking place, but the timer on Sap is not infinite and will run out eventually. I'm not really sure what they "fixed," i.e. if the original versions' sap has a time limit and they fixed it to run out during a Quick, or if they fixed it by giving it a time limit. But either way, no Quickleaking.

edit: what agradine said

It's the former. Sap wears off after a short period of time normally; if it didn't, trying to run Soul Cannon with a team of thieves would be entirely impossible instead of just mostly impossible.

And status effects wear off significantly quicker on enemies that are Heavy; that's why you need to keep Silencing the Rugwizard if you try to punch him; Silence wears off after a single turn's time for him.

Serene Dragon posted:

I'm entering the void after picking up all the summons, and wondering if anyone has advice for taking on Omega with a team of Samurai/Samurai/Dancer/Summoner. What kind of level/gear/set up is gonna be required for this team?

Ramuh/Odin/Bahamut are going to be your only forms of damage, and you're gonna eat a lot of counters. It's going to take a long time and you're gonna burn through a lot of elixirs.

Whether it's "possible"? Theoretically. You'd probably want to be level 50+, maybe closer to 60 or 70. Put Aegis Shields or Flame Shields (depending on taste/fear of Atomic Ray vs Encircle counters) on both of your samurai, and if possible, Genji Helm/Lamia Tiaras/Ribbons on whoever you can manage to avoid Rocket Punch's confusion. Summoner might want to keep the Gold Hairpin, depending on if you find yourself running out of MP before heals.

For the record, that team can normally beat the final boss comfortably at about Lv35 or lower, so you're going well above and beyond what you'd need for that.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 23, 2017

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Run #2 down. A ridiculously easy run with White mage/Red Mage/Time Mage and Summoner. Quickleaked omega while I was asleep, and shinryu was a joke with both summoner and white mage. Being able to do dualcast and quick was pretty great.

So there's another a butt. What were the classes for the triple crown incentive?

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

OzFactor posted:

HOLD UP WAIT A SECOND how much damage can I expect to do to the Rugfucker if I blast through the lamp? Holding an Air Knife for Syldra boost?

Trip report: it's only about another 3000 damage total. I think the only way this could theoretically happen is if I wait for him to Silence himself, RF-CK him twice (I learned I can get two off if I have him targeted when the Silence sticks), unload the lamp on him, then he gets himself with Bio pretty soon after that, then he gets himself with Silence or Stop relatively soon after that. Then he might be down below 4000. But, like, that's a whole lot of ifs and thens. Maybe I'll come back and try a few times after I gain the many, many levels I need for NED anyway.

I'll keep you all updated, I'm sure you're riveted.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

KataraniSword posted:

Ramuh/Odin/Bahamut are going to be your only forms of damage, and you're gonna eat a lot of counters. It's going to take a long time and you're gonna burn through a lot of elixirs.

sword dance chicken knife would do more damage and thus less overall counters. dancer with equip katanas for the strength bonus, everyone else geared for survival/elixer spamming

e: katana crits can ignore his defense too

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

fits posted:

sword dance chicken knife would do more damage and thus less overall counters. dancer with equip katanas for the strength bonus, everyone else geared for survival/elixer spamming

I keep forgetting that Sword Dance is "Attack * 2, M * 2" and keep thinking it's "M * 4". :downs: In most cases they're functionally identical, but in this case where a boss has 190 loving defense, not so much. With those numbers, Masamune Sword Dancing should work, too, though it'd do much less damage.

Katana crits would work on paper, but in practice getting around that 95% evasion and getting a critical isn't too likely to happen.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 23, 2017

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

I've beaten Shinryu and NED now, so it's just Omega left.Thanks for all the tips, chicken dance is probably my safest bet for damage. I have plenty of ribbons/tiaras/dresses/aegis shields for all. I couldn't get the genji helm but I do have the armour that I think also protects against confusion.

Edit: I've had to rely on katana and barehanded crits to damage Omega before with my samurai/monk/thief/white team. It was rough going.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I have Monk/Berserkerx3 and am currently staring down the Byblos wall. What a pain.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Yeah, Chicken Knife Sword Dances are going to be your offense.

Dancer is secretly one of the better Omega classes. Put Equip Ribbons on everyone. Usually I do Dancer kills in the mid-40's, but I have a lot of practice. BRING 50+ ELIXIRS and Phoenix Downs (I grind them in the Ronka Ruins void part on the level checkers in the room with a ton of elevators, but wherever works). Come into the fight with Float (Tempting Tango Poison eagles and restore their MP to have them cast float on you).

Equipment should be-
Dancer w/Equip Katana
Chicken Knife
Ribbon
Rainbow Dress
Hermes Sandals

Samuraix2 w/Equip Ribbon
Masamune / Whatever
Aegis Shield
Ribbon
Rainbow Dress
Hermes Sandals

Summoner w/Equip Ribbon
Whatever (Actually, a Wonder Wand queued to Shell for the Dancer would be excellent)
Ribbon
Rainbow Dress
Hermes Sandals

You need to !Dance immediately after Wave Cannons, then elixir everyone up. The missile counters do 50 %current HP damage, and your party is immune to Confuse with this setup (note, it's actually the Rainbow Dresses, not the Ribbons, that block confuse), so you're safe from them (and praying that your Dancer doesn't get Encircled). Everyone else is on elixir duty.

...I think Sword Dances can crit. Depending on how much damage your Sword Dances are doing, a Murakumo *might* be a better choice.

derra fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 23, 2017

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

grand theft grotto posted:

I have Monk/Berserkerx3 and am currently staring down the Byblos wall. What a pain.

I feel so sorry for you. I just got to experience the wonder of slowing him then blowing him apart with flame rod enhanced fire 2 and a flame scroll. I think he got one physical attack off.

I think this will be my last mobile version run. I really enjoy the character portraits but being prevented from triple crowns is annoying. Maybe next year if I get in in time for berserkerrisk since they seem marginally better.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Lurdiak posted:

Eh, screw it. :toxx: Everyone who clears the game with the name "a butt" will trigger a 2 dollar donation from me, up to a maximum of 70 bucks(it'd be more but the exchange rate is murder).

Dragoon / Knight / Berserker / Monk (replacing Ranger as fifth job)

Definitely the most tedious Brave Blade run I've ever had. It's not even eligible for Bad Seafood's Brave Blade challenge since I accidentally ran away from an encounter early on, leaving the weapon perennially at 149 attack power.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 23, 2017

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

derra posted:

Yeah, Chicken Knife Sword Dances are going to be your offense.

Dancer is secretly one of the better Omega classes. Put Equip Ribbons on everyone. Usually I do Dancer kills in the mid-40's, but I have a lot of practice. BRING 50+ ELIXIRS and Phoenix Downs (I grind them in the Ronka Ruins void part on the level checkers in the room with a ton of elevators, but wherever works). Come into the fight with Float (Tempting Tango Poison eagles and restore their MP to have them cast float on you).

Equipment should be-
Dancer w/Equip Katana
Chicken Knife
Ribbon
Rainbow Dress
Hermes Sandals

Samuraix2 w/Equip Ribbon
Masamune / Whatever
Aegis Shield
Ribbon
Rainbow Dress
Hermes Sandals

Summoner w/Equip Ribbon
Whatever (Actually, a Wonder Wand queued to Shell for the Dancer would be excellent)
Ribbon
Rainbow Dress
Hermes Sandals

You need to !Dance immediately after Wave Cannons, then elixir everyone up. The missile counters do 50 %current HP damage, and your party is immune to Confuse with this setup (note, it's actually the Rainbow Dresses, not the Ribbons, that block confuse), so you're safe from them (and praying that your Dancer doesn't get Encircled). Everyone else is on elixir duty.

...I think Sword Dances can crit. Depending on how much damage your Sword Dances are doing, a Murakumo *might* be a better choice.

Thanks very much for this, I just managed it at level 47 (with copious save stating to avoid encircle counters) using a similar set up to this. I put !dance, murakumo and genji armour on one of my samurai to test critical sword dance. It did ~1800 damage without crit, it only ever critted once for me but the critical did 9999 damage . Chicken dance did roughly 4400. So chicken dance is the more reliable method but yeah a critical murakumo dance hits max damage.

Serene Dragon fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 23, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is the dark bow blind proc that flash that I've always been assuming was a critical? And is the killer bow's proc equally subtle or the Death Sickle-style skull?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
Proud to say I'm well on my way to both the A Butt and "Captain Courage" donation incentives :getin:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
gently caress it, let's do another run. For now, "Live Off The Land", no buying magic, equipment, or items, everything else fair game. Of course, this may change if I want to ditch it.

So far so good, though!

e: Karlabos wasn't too bad.

Finally got seven Daggers!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 23, 2017

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
What's the diff between Chaos and Pure Chaos?
Does Pure Chaos allow duplicates or something?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Poulpe posted:

What's the diff between Chaos and Pure Chaos?
Does Pure Chaos allow duplicates or something?

The opposite. Pure chaos has no dupes and includes freelancer and mime. I think you can't do 750/no750 with it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So uhh, I may have overleveled a bit grinding rare drops. At least the flame rod will be worth it, as I unlocked Summoner!

Is this even still a challenge at this point

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Chemist/zerk/zerk/zerk. Once I get to the Earth crystal everything is gravy, but... Sandworm.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

...This was supposed to be a challenge run, right?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mega64 posted:

...This was supposed to be a challenge run, right?

I thought part of the whole point of a "live off the land" challenge was to avoid grinding for drops and just using whatever the RNG deigns to bless you with?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Do that many people use save states? Kind of kills the whole point, doesn't it?

apostateCourier posted:

Chemist/zerk/zerk/zerk. Once I get to the Earth crystal everything is gravy, but... Sandworm.
Same that I got! Don't forget you can Dark Sigh blind Shinryu (Dark Gas isn't A and uses the Magical Hit Formula) and Kiss of Blessing Omega (make sure you have enough stuff. Because of the Evade stat don't expect the Berserkers to do much!). Also, I would not recommend Brave Blade.

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/876807289218498561
https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/876807805369368576

Looks like RK is sporadically streaming his run :keke:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

I thought part of the whole point of a "live off the land" challenge was to avoid grinding for drops and just using whatever the RNG deigns to bless you with?

Oops!

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Doom Goon posted:

I honestly only use it for spots where I just don't feel like plodding back from the savepoint again. It's not any easier to beat a boss with it just putting a savestate at the end of a long drawn out dialog.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Finally got Holy! Now all enemies will quake in fear at my Dualcasting might.

...so, any point in going for the last two tablets? Not for the weapons but for the treasures within the areas, and such.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Doom Goon posted:

In situations where your only options are a) grind like mad, or b) retry the fight over and over again until the stars align, I am absolutely fine with using savestates to speed up the latter option. It's not like grinding requires more skill.

Also, it's a singleplayer game and a charity benefit, play however you have the most fun.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Finally got Holy! Now all enemies will quake in fear at my Dualcasting might.

...so, any point in going for the last two tablets? Not for the weapons but for the treasures within the areas, and such.

Depends on your party, honestly. Great Sea Trench has crap except Meteor, but is a great grind spot if you have Bard (or White Mage to a lesser extent) since everything is undead. Istory Falls has a few neat things like the Titan Axe for Zerks, a second Aegis Shield, and an additional Enhancer if you have both MK and RM (or two of each).

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Does the Karnak trick not work in the SNES version of FF5?
I'm always getting arrested before I can buy anything.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Poulpe posted:

If the trick is what I think it is, then you buy exactly one item and it happens immediately.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Poulpe posted:

You still get a item, but you can't buy multiples.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006

Schwarzwald posted:

If the trick is what I think it is, then you buy exactly one item and it happens immediately.

Rirse posted:

You still get a item, but you can't buy multiples.

Ahh gotcha! Thanks!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Final party: Ninja / Summoner / Dancer / Beastmaster

After Karnak, things actually get a bit difficult. There's literally no new knives that are found/dropped in World 1 besides the Main Gauche. Luckily there's two Moonring Blades, but my offense is getting kinda dire, though fortunately I have Summoner to pick up the slack. I also have no reliable healing since I can't even stock up on regular-rear end Potions easily.

All I can do is stock up on bears and Flame Scrolls and hope for the best in World 2!

e:

YOU CAN DUAL WIELD WHIPS

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 24, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mega64 posted:

YOU CAN DUAL WIELD WHIPS

You can dualwield anything but bows and harps.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Funktastic posted:

Run #2 down. A ridiculously easy run with White mage/Red Mage/Time Mage and Summoner. Quickleaked omega while I was asleep, and shinryu was a joke with both summoner and white mage. Being able to do dualcast and quick was pretty great.

So there's another a butt. What were the classes for the triple crown incentive?

Serene Dragon posted:

I've beaten Shinryu and NED now, so it's just Omega left.Thanks for all the tips, chicken dance is probably my safest bet for damage. I have plenty of ribbons/tiaras/dresses/aegis shields for all. I couldn't get the genji helm but I do have the armour that I think also protects against confusion.

Edit: I've had to rely on katana and barehanded crits to damage Omega before with my samurai/monk/thief/white team. It was rough going.

Serene Dragon posted:

Thanks very much for this, I just managed it at level 47 (with copious save stating to avoid encircle counters) using a similar set up to this. I put !dance, murakumo and genji armour on one of my samurai to test critical sword dance. It did ~1800 damage without crit, it only ever critted once for me but the critical did 9999 damage . Chicken dance did roughly 4400. So chicken dance is the more reliable method but yeah a critical murakumo dance hits max damage.

Adding Funktastic and Serene Dragon to the list.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

Another a butt for the a butt pile.

This was a Popular 5th Job run, with Red Mage dying with Galuf. For the best, I might have been crazy enough to grind dual cast twice. Ninja didnt do much, since the rest of the team was so powerful but it was fun. Onto trying the randomizer.

Ninja's throw command, or at least the scrolls, scales off of their magic stat. So giving one !white or !summoning is generally a good call.

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

BASCH lives! A little too late but....

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
The game decided to repay my immediate Blue Mage pick by slapping me with Red Mage and Geomancer right afterwards. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Journey of the Quadzerker: Part III

Some easy bosses hit the deck...

A goofy laser got blow'd up real good...

Finished up W1 pretty quickly...

We met the best character in the game...

This guy is actually not a joke when quadzerking...

More "bosses"...

Have I mentioned how much I love Death Sickle?

Ironically I couldn't use my sickles for farming...

Galuf avoided getting sucked into an eldritch horror, I'm sure nothing else bad will happen to him...

Got super lucky with two Death procs...

This was a nail-biter. Thank you Reflect Rings!

:lol:

Next time: Chopping down enemies in the Rift's forest.

• Locked thread