Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Jace's Big Adventure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Dr. Stab posted:

Now what am I going to name my video game?

Fall of Doom

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
MOODfall.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
My only problem with the 2 Torment cards, is that in naming ... wouldn't Torrent be better?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
No because torment is a stand-in for plague

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

whydirt posted:

No because torment is a stand-in for plague

Interesting!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

The Shortest Path posted:

So has Wizards elaborated on why Bolas is deciding to utterly destroy a plane that isn't useful to him anymore instead of just leaving, or is it just "he's a generic evil bad guy!!!" terrible writing that we've come to expect from them?

1) Because he can.
2) Because the Gatewatch interfered with his zombie super soldier factory and he wants to show them how insignificant they are.
3) Because he can just start it up again after the Gatewatch leaves and/or do the same thing somewhere else (if he isn't already concurrently).

Probably some combination of those three, but we won't know until the set actually comes out.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

1) Because he can.
2) Because the Gatewatch interfered with his zombie super soldier factory and he wants to show them how insignificant they are.
3) Because he can just start it up again after the Gatewatch leaves and/or do the same thing somewhere else (if he isn't already concurrently).

Probably some combination of those three, but we won't know until the set actually comes out.

4) The whole plane was a combination trap for his enemies and entertaining plaything, and now that it's served it's purpose, he's done with it and is balling it up and throwing it in the garbage.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Bolas is pretty much any villain from a Scooby Doo episode and the Gatewatch just ride around in a van in bump into him once and awhile.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Have they shown any reprints yet?

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

So uh, how did Bolas get so powerful, anyway?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Shadow225 posted:

He's old and a dragon planeswalker, basically.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Shadow225 posted:

Bolas is a pre-Mending 'walker who has always had an obsession with power. Everything he has done since the Mending has been in an effort to restore himself to pre-Mending power levels and/or gently caress with people who would stop him from doing so.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bolas has plans within plans on top of plans in a plan with a plan sandwich.

Also he probably doesn't want more people who potentially spark out to rise up against him, like Samut who clearly hates the bullshit the plane is about.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bolas is the incredibly obnoxious evil chessmaster trope, basically

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Why is that card not "Torment of Hellfire?"

Hailfire is an incredibly stupid word.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

DariusLikewise posted:

Bolas is pretty much any villain from a Scooby Doo episode and the Gatewatch just ride around in a van in bump into him once and awhile.

I hope when they finally remove the mask it's Pheldagriff

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

torment of heckfire

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It amused me.

A card named "Farm" that isn't a functional reprint of Swords to Plowshares sucks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is that one of the Lightning Greaves promo arts? Pretty hilarious.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Is that one of the Lightning Greaves promo arts? Pretty hilarious.

It's expedite.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I liked this story more when we thought Nicol Bolas was farming planeswalkers instead of just zombies. The trials did seem specifically designed to stress people out and cause people to spark.

Gustav posted:

It's not an intuitive thing for non-americans to expect that airport security will take random objects from your luggage and rip them up.

Airport security will destroy your poo poo for no reason, the police will shoot you for no reason, come on non-Americans this isn't that hard,

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Some Numbers posted:

The ten plagues are being halfassedly referenced throughout the set, and hail is one of those

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hellsau posted:

the police will shoot you for no reason, come on non-Americans this isn't that hard,

Magic players are mostly white so at least this isn't as much of an issue.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Chill la Chill posted:

Magic players are mostly white so at least this isn't as much of an issue.

Ill have you know that I took the test and actually I'm blue
daba dee daba die

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks for the answers about Nicol Bolas. I have a passing interest in the overall Magic Story, but not enough to actually trudge through the individual pieces'makul.

Unrelated question: are there any green creatures that can repeatedly freely sac things? Creature can also be green/black. I'm trying to such a solid sac outlet with Green Suns' Zenith.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Elyv fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 23, 2017

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

Thanks for the answers about Nicol Bolas. I have a passing interest in the overall Magic Story, but not enough to actually trudge through the individual pieces'makul.

Unrelated question: are there any green creatures that can repeatedly freely sac things? Creature can also be green/black. I'm trying to such a solid sac outlet with Green Suns' Zenith.

Varolz, the Scar-Striped is the only one that I could find that doesn't have a mana cost.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

I like the first one, but it really just makes me miss aetherling.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Shadow225 posted:

Varolz, the Scar-Striped.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Gustav posted:

Hard to imagine what they were expecting to find in there...

They don't expect to find anything anywhere. The FBI audited the TSA by sending plainclothed agents through security with contraband such as plastic explosives and 96% of them were not caught and this was using basic methods like taping the bombs to their back. 90% of the time your stuff is getting searched because the machine saw a packed item with differently nested densities (like a deckbox with cards in it, or literally anything else that gets packed in a suitcase) and the other 10% is because the person looks "ethnic".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ThePeavstenator posted:

They don't expect to find anything anywhere. The FBI audited the TSA by sending plainclothed agents through security with contraband such as plastic explosives and 96% of them were not caught and this was using basic methods like taping the bombs to their back. 90% of the time your stuff is getting searched because the machine saw a packed item with differently nested densities (like a deckbox with cards in it, or literally anything else that gets packed in a suitcase) and the other 10% is because the person looks "ethnic".

I mean yeah, a deckbox full of cards probably looks like a high density brick under the machine. I generally remove the deckboxes from the bag like you would your phone in the tray. I have only had them want to open them once.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Yeah I had a fatpack of EDH decks searched once because it showed up as a brick basically. They said oh, ok, continue on your way once they saw what was inside.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

What ever this is, it isnt loading for me.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Bugsy posted:

What ever this is, it isnt loading for me.

Updated the links, hopefully it's better now

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

Updated the links, hopefully it's better now

Thanks. I'm more interested in seeing the tokens for them than the actual cards. First one looks decent for draft though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Proven Combatant would be the best blue common in Amonkhet.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

Proven Combatant would be the best blue common in Amonkhet.

I like the 2/1 with embalm better

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Regarding color balance in Eternal formats, you said that we can't let the past hold the present hostage, but you said the opposite for Planeswalker gender. What's the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Turns out Mind Twist is extremely unfair in Amonkhet draft.