Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

witchcore ricepunk posted:

My guess is that Battler planned the battle to be the main attraction of this episode, in a sense, which is why the howdunnit aspect is pretty muddled here.

Mark storytelling as something else Battler's incompetent at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

CottonWolf posted:

Mark storytelling as something else Battler's incompetent at.

Well I mean he's just incompetent. No caveats. Just is. Poor Battler.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

witchcore ricepunk posted:

Sorry, feeling stupid but I'm a bit confused about how the love battle is going on while the game is halted? How could the "murders" progress while the story can't? Doesn't that seem weird to anyone else?

I noticed too. Also, I think this is the first time we've seen one person kill another with magic without it matching the murder being done by ordinary means. At the very least we didn't have five at once. One part of the story tells us the lovers are in the guest house, chatting with nobody else around, slipping out to kill others. The other part has them split between two sealed rooms, with all the survivors around them. I'm guessing the lovers' scene is only there to set up the S=K=B reveal and will be dropped shortly after.

As for the arbitrary restriction on talking about the window's seals, we already have arbitrary red keeping Battler from manipulating the chain from outside. That particularly annoys me as the stuff he'd need is sitting right in the room with him. Those are the author's rules and if you want to play his game you shrug and go with them.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

:siren:BGM: Ruriair:siren:

It was the sound of the several dozen Chiester Sisters Imperial Guards, members of the honor guard, who stood in a line across the cathedral and stamped their heels in unison. It brought about total silence even before the demons running the ceremony spoke.

"Welcome to the wedding of Lord BATTLER, territory lord and Golden Sorcerer, and Lady Erika, the Witch of Truth!!"

Zepar and Furfur had appeared in the center of the cathedral. Having them invited to host a wedding was a great honor. Though they had asked for silence, the attendants who packed the cathedral welcomed the two demons with an enormous applause.

"...Oh, it's Zepar and Furfur. Then what about Beato...?"
"She may already have snuck onto the grounds..."

They searched for Beato in the crowd of several hundred people, but they couldn't find her anywhere.

"I wonder... if Beato found a way to save Battler-kun..."
"...If she managed to gain Zepar and Furfur's power, then I'm sure she has. There is no miracle that cannot be gained after receiving their power."
"And if she didn't...?"
"...Then that goat biting its handkerchief over there is probably her. Pu ku ku..."
"Then, let us welcome the bride and groom...!!"
"Please give them a grand welcome and celebrate their departure!!"
""Come out, bride and groom!! Walk the path of the shackles called marriage, which will bind you until the grave!!""

The big doors in the back of the cathedral... slowly opened...

Arm in arm, the pair slowly... began to walk down the 'path to the grave' lined with red carpet. The Chiester honor guards stood at attention along either side of that path, raised their adorned bayonets with mechanical precision, and made sure that no evil could block the path that the pair walked down. Chiester Sister troops that weren't part of the honor guard were stationed all over the cathedral, hiding behind pillars and so on, and keeping an eye out for any intruders.

"Ceiling snipers, no irregularities nyeh."

410 and 45 could be seen on top of the massive chandelier hanging from the cathedral's ceiling. Several other sniper pairs could be seen stationed on top of the other chandeliers... This seemingly festive cathedral... was actually being heavily guarded in places that the attendants wouldn't notice...

"Currently, we are targeting 36 attendants suspected of being Lady Beatrice, as well as 131 who are located in positions suitable for a raid. Surveillance in progress."
"...Don't let your guard down. Lady Beatrice will almost certainly stage an attack on the wedding."
"That'd be so cool, breaking in to steal the bride nyeh."
"410, he's the groom, not the bride."
"But he's playing the bride's part nyeh. Nihihihihihi..."

The Chiester sniper teams on the chandeliers used super high-efficiency observers to track the movements of the several hundred attendants. If any one of them made any suspicious movements, the Chiesters were given permission to fire immediately.

The one on that chandelier is Chiester 127. That overworking monster sniper could pulverize a human target from 2 kilometers away. The one on the chandelier across from that is Chiester 20. Her firing rate is 6000 shots per minute. However, she's using a portable magazine this time, so she'll use up her shots in about two seconds. That lazy bum can barely do her job for just two seconds nyeh.

Slowly, and making a show of it, the two walked down the red carpeted path. Battler's eyes were blank. If you looked closely, you could probably tell that Erika was dragging him by the arm she held. In other words, they weren't walking together. This was a ceremony for Erika to show off to everyone that this man belonged to her...

Behind the bride and groom walked the Seven Sisters of Purgatory, who held long, ceremonial arms in the shape of the One-winged Eagle...

"...I can understand Beatrice-sama's pain... better than anyone else."
"It's all because that stupid Battler caused a logic error! Stupid, stupid, stupid!"
"...Beatrice-sama will not fall to sloth and let this wedding go on."
"Of course. Beatrice-sama is greedy. She won't let someone else take away her favorite toy. She'll definitely show up..."
"*slobber* I hear the reception's gonna have tons of delicious food...!"
"Aaah, I want to wear a wedding dress... noooooooooo~w!!"

Bernkastel and Lambdadelta were in the nobles' seating on the balcony. They were sipping some bizarre carbonated cocktails as they looked down upon the show...

"This is just the opening performance."
"That's pretty cruel. Which event do you think will be the headliner? Don't tell me that you really believe Beato will come. As you know as well, Battler's closed room is perfect. How could Beato win? Right...?"

"...You must have heard too. There's a chance that the window seal on the room next door has been torn. It seems that Dlanor has managed to seal that off for now, but she just denied the concept instead of sealing the actual window. It'll fly out the window again. This One-winged Eagle."
"Wanna bet?"
"On whether Beato comes?"
"...I bet she comes with certainty."
"...I bet she comes miraculously."
"Ah, this isn't going to work. *giggle*giggle*."

The Witch of Certainty and the Witch of Miracles were both sure that Beato would come. However, they were very interested in exactly how she would break the closed room and take Battler back...

"More or less. But Erika's done a hell of a job, so now even I'm stumped."
"...Liar."
"Huh...?"
"I'm sure you've found one already. There does exist a trick that can save Battler, right?"
"...There does. But it's tough."
"And if that move is used, part of Beato's heart will be exposed. Isn't that right?"
"...Oh, so you already know."
"...Hey, wanna change our bet?"
"To what?"
"To whether Beato or Erika wins."
"Sure, if you're willing to bet on Erika."
"...I'll do it."
"Oh, you are betting on Erika? And why do you think you can win?"
"...If this trick is a part of Beato's heart, then Battler, the Game Master, will hesitate at exposing it. And so, they cannot win. It will probably be a draw. I'm sure they'll confuse matters and run away."
"...Battler has sworn to let Beato sleep in peace. Bern. You're being too naive..."

The bet was made. Based on the assumption of that certain miracle... that Beato would come. Virgilia, who was standing in the front row, tried to call out as soon as Battler walked by. She tried to tell him that the window seal on the next room over hadn't been confirmed, hoping that this would give him a hint. However, she had been marked perfectly. The instant she tried to lean forward, two Chiester Sisters right behind her grabbed her arms. It was a powerful force preventing her from going forward. Unable to move, she was forced to stay there and watch as Battler walked past.

"...Even now, he is fighting that closed room all by himself. However, he cannot get out of that closed room by his own power alone. Unless someone comes to save him, he cannot get out."
"Unless that child comes to save him, Battler-kun will be trapped..."
"If there is a key to that closed room, I am certain... Milady will find it..."

...Milady. I am sure you have gone through many trials in your life. But please, this is one trial that you must overcome... I am certain that you can do it. I, Ronove, do not doubt that in the slightest...

The bride and groom's procession... slowly walked down the path to the grave... and reached the altar. Though walking slowly was ceremonious and proper etiquette, it was also tiring. Erika glanced over at Battler. Of course, his eyes were blank. His heart was still inside that closed room. Once more, the sound of the Chiester honor guard stamping their heels rang out loudly.

Silence returned to the cathedral once more. Now, the wedding ceremony would finally... begin.

:siren:WARNING: If you are sensitive to scenes depicting or alluding to sexual assault, you might want to skip the rest of this update.:siren:

BGM: Grey Empty Smile

""Come now, you who love one another! Make the oath of love!!""
"In the place of the husband who cannot speak-"
"Let the wife make the oath on behalf of both of them...!"
"...Battler swears to Erika, and Erika swears to Battler to support each other, both in sickness and in health."
"...Ggh... ghh..."
"...I didn't catch that, Battler-san... If you have some objection, please say it a bit more clearly, in a loud voice."
"...Da... mn... it..."
"If you have anything further to say, please get yourself out of that logic error closed room first. Don't worry. I'll support you until that day comes. *giggle*, *giggle*giggle*giggle*giggle*!!"

The thunderous applause celebrated their marriage of subordination... After the oath, they would physically signify the bond. It was the exchanging of the rings. The territory lord's ring with the One-winged Eagle engraved on it that sat on Battler's finger... would become Erika's. By this, she would become the ruler of this game board... And in exchange, Battler's finger would be given a diamond ring that Erika had prepared.

...At a glance, it just looked like a ring adorned by a large diamond. However, this cursed ring would force Battler into eternal subservience and mark him as another's property...

"Yes, let the pair exchange rings...!!"
"...Since the husband's fingers cannot move, let his wife support him...!"

That was the ring Beato had entrusted him with. Erika... stole it away.

"This is the ring that woman left behind, right...? Heh... heheh... How does it feel to have that stolen away by a woman like me...?"
"...to... he..."
"Huh? I can't hear you. Please say it one more time."
"...Go... to hell..."
"Oh, that. Well, then there's no need to worry, Battler-san."

Erika pressed her lips up against Battler's earlobe as if biting it... and told him where they were.

Then, slowly, she took Beato's ring, which she had stolen from Battler, and slipped it onto her own left hand...

"And now, bride. You may give the groom your ring."
"...This one's pretty incredible. It's the shackle that'll hold him in place for all time."
"*giggle*. Yeah, it's custom made."

Even Battler's blank eyes could see the diamond ring Erika held.It was like Erika herself. On the outside, it shone beautifully, and possessed an absolute hardness that would bend to no one's will. And on the inside, it had, to symbolize never letting go of the prey it had latched onto, eight sharp thorns pointing inwards. If they had been growing out of the outer side, it would have looked like the collar of a watchdog from hell. However, who's ever heard of putting those on the inside...?

By twisting the diamond, those thorns could slide in or out. In other words, if you twisted it after thrusting the finger inside, the inward-facing thorns would bite down, never releasing until the end of time. Then, even his soul would be trapped, and his body, mind, and soul would be forced to serve Erika for all eternity.

"...Are... you... kidding me...? Who the..."

Who the hell would wear a ring like that? He couldn't even finish speaking that simple phrase. And furthermore, those awkward words were the only way he could resist... She raised Battler's left hand... and stroked his ring finger as if tasting it.

...Erika pressed the ring of subordination against the tip of his finger... If a ring is made to fit too tightly, it can hurt and be annoying if it's impossible to take off. However, this ring was never intended to be removed for life anyway, so its inner band had been mercilessly narrowed. Even without the thorns, forcing a small ring like this on would hurt...

"...I won't even let you die. You'll be endlessly defiled and humiliated by me, and every time I forget the taste of victory, I'll use your body to remind me. Over... and over again... If you think you can bite off your tongue, now's the time... Once this goes on your finger, you won't even be able to do that."
"...Ffg... ggg... kk..."

Battler didn't even have the strength to bite his tongue. Even if he had, Battler didn't want to give up until he found a way to escape the closed room. So he couldn't kill himself. However, if he accepted the ring, he would never be able to even think about escaping from the room, much less commit suicide...

"No way. Look... I'm... sticking your finger in..."
"Ghih... gyaggh... it... it huurts... gggghh... agh..."

It wasn't just the pain of having his finger forced through the tight ring. The curse of the ring... fiercely tormented Battler's body from the inside. That pain would always torment Battler. But, fortunately... The power of the ring even stole away the heart that could understand that pain... Erika kept screwing that too-small demon's ring on...

"It hurts...!! It's... impossible... There's no way... it'll fit..."
"...Don't worry. It will fit... No problem..."

With an obscene laugh... Erika let a silver thread drip from her mouth... and soaked the finger and the ring.

"...Please relax. We'll stick it in... all at once... Please don't waste your energy resisting. It'll hurt less if you don't resist, okay...? You see? Now it's sliding right on..."
"Nooo...oo...oo...!"

Slowly... slowly... Battler's finger went deeper... deeper through the ring. He was pushed through the iron ring of pain and humiliation... which would never be removed again...

"Ooh... gah... gyhaah..."

"...It... hurts... it... hurts... guhh... Take... it... off..."

The demon's ring tightened around the finger... so much that it seemed the finger would snap off along with the bone. Could Battler's hazy expression of anguish... really describe how unbearable this filthy pain was...?

"...Okay. Now that it's on all the way, let's add the final touch, okay...? After this, you will be mine... forever..."

Erika touched the ring's diamond knob. If she twisted it, the thorns would bite in... and never let go again...

"N... no... stop... it..."
"Sure. Just say 'forgive me, Erika-sama', and I'll stop."
"...R, really...?"
"'Forgive me, Erika-sama, please. I swear to spend the rest of my life as your dog, with a collar around my neck, so at least spare me that ring'. If you can say that, I won't make you wear the ring."
"...F...f...f..."
"...Huuuuh...? I can't really hear you...?"

"...I'll never... forgive you..."
"For making you suffer like this...?"
"No. I'll... never... forgive you... for defiling... Beato's... ring..."

Though Battler's eyes had supposedly been forced into a muddled condition, they looked strong for just an instant. However, it really was only for an instant. Battler had used up the last of his fleeting resistance... just to say those words. In his dim consciousness, he had even bitten his own tongue to stay alert... so that he could say those words of resistance until the very end...

"...Of course. It seems you aren't the kind of dog that can be tamed. But it's better that way."

Erika smiled. Then, she turned the diamond. In that instant, Battler let out a voiceless scream... and threw his head back...

"Ggh... gah... ahh... aaaahh...!!!"

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 23, 2017

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
:yikes:

Now that we've once again borrowed the language of rape, uhh

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:same:

Please escape, Battler.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
All I can honestly say about this scene is that the manga version is even worse.

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

As we said, Intellectual Rapist was not a tacky translation choice.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

ProfessorProf posted:

All I can honestly say about this scene is that the manga version is even worse.

...what?

I mean, I want to know, but on the other hand, I really kind of don't.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

ProfessorProf posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I was taking it at least partially as a metatextual nod to (or grimace at, rather) the common association between VNs and hentai games, but that wouldn't necessarily so much apply to the manga version.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

NachtSieger posted:

Please escape, Battler.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Is this the part where we have to believe in R07? Because as far as it looks, Erika won. Unless there's a way to get that time off of Battler, she owns him.

I'm voicing my concern, BTW. I'm being pushed to the edge trying to believe in the author, but he's not making it easy.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'm just not even gonna comment on that.

NachtSieger posted:

Please escape, Battler.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Beato better come to the rescue riding on a white horse

quote:

...At a glance, it just looked like a ring adorned by a large diamond. However, this cursed ring would force Battler into eternal subservience and mark him as another's property...
Hey there Natsushi, didn't see you come in.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

bman in 2288 posted:

Is this the part where we have to believe in R07? Because as far as it looks, Erika won. Unless there's a way to get that time off of Battler, she owns him.

I'm voicing my concern, BTW. I'm being pushed to the edge trying to believe in the author, but he's not making it easy.

Well, narratively, we're clearly not at the end of the tale, so there's space for an upset. This would be the "all is lost" portion of a story chart.

But yes, this is trying my faith quite sorely. I also think that R07 was going for a jab at hentai VNs that eroticize rape, and that this isn't meant to be pleasant or titillating, but I've seen and read enough that instead of feeling like I'm in on the joke/critique, I just feel tired.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

He's not borrowing. The whole idea of the perversion of marriage to symbolize dominance instead of love, the forcing of the trap ring on, the idea of already being in hell... You are all correct: R07 was not misusing the term. Erika is a rapist.

Here's where I would put my string of :gonk:s again, but that somehow seems insufficient to the (I'm sure very intentional) sickness and horror of this moment. Does anyone have the slowly growing :gonk: to post, to better reflect these feelings?

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

resurgam40 posted:

Does anyone have the slowly growing :gonk: to post, to better reflect these feelings?

The second half does makes me feel a very strong :gonk: I mean it's not as blatantly graphic or intentionally titillating (which is just :allbuttons: when that bullshit happens in media) as when other works portray a rape scene, but it's still awful and makes me want to fast forward out of there.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm sad. Battler did not deserve this.

Beato should hurry up!!

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
So who wants to talk about something else. I'll start.

I did a lot of thinking in the shower just now, about the weak points in my theory. I'm sure now that in my quest to find the simplest possible explanation for the crimes, I did not pay enough attention to the relationship between Kanon and Shannon. I still don't like S=K because of the complications it introduces in each game, but they don't have to be the same person to both be very significant to the crime. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Let's go back to Episode 3, when we start to learn about the full extent of OH DESIRE. So Beato says (with more magical bs) that a mother was confined by Kinzo, she killed herself, and then Kinzo imprisoned her child. At the time we (read: I) assumed the mother referred to the secret mistress who gave Kinzo the gold, and the child to Rosa's Beatrice from 1967. But that's never confirmed in red. So what if the mother is 1967, and the child is cliff baby. So Genji and/or Kumasawa rescue the child from Natsushi's blood-stained clutches, and the child is raised in Kuwadorian once again. For sake to clarity let's call this child Y. Only this time they have second thoughts on the monstrosity of raising a child in total isolation like that, so they find another child around the same age from the pool of potential servants to act as a friend for Y. Let's call this person S. Flash forward several years, and S wants to help Y escape, only her plan can't be pulled off by just servants. Luckily Battler is around and will jump at the chance to play hero, even if he thinks he's just playing. Anyway, you see where this is going, and I've already laid it out before. Moving on to the new stuff.

Episode 1: Shannon's corpse. It's weird that Shannon would die so early if she's in on the plan. But it's also weird that Hideyoshi would lie about her corpse being there, with so many people around who could easily verify by just taking a few steps. Even if he is bribed it's a huge risk to take. But what if he was tricked into seeing what looked like Shannon's mangled corpse but wasn't? Well, given how she's described, and the state of the other bodies, it's hard to believe you could fake that. And maybe that is exactly the point. If you think about it, it was always strange that the corpses in the shed were mangled like that. Considering the killer took no pleasure in any of the killings and wasn't trying to incite fear, there is no reason to go overboard like that. Unless you were trying to trick people into not looking to closely at the corpses. So if you set the room up with 5 mangled corpses, and one living Shannon who only looks like a mangled corpse on the surface, anyone would be inclined to believe the one is like the five and not take a closer look. Because that poo poo is gross.
This would also explain how Shannon and Kanon 'came back to life' for the tea party at the end.

Episode 2: Shannon actually dies. By the time this happens Battler has already given up on solving the mystery so gently caress it, burn everything down.

Episode 4: See Episode 2.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can't believe I just read a rape scene in Umineko. What the hell. Why?!

On one hand, I understand that VNs are (or at least were at the time, not sure about the modern day scene) typically expected to have a sex scene to cater to the Japanese PC gamer audience, and I can appreciate this subversion of expectations. On the other hand, it certainly seems to be playing the scene straight and unironically, trying to appeal both to the audience who wants to be titillated by this, and to regular people who recognize rape as horrific. :gonk: I know that stories can discuss rape and the trauma it causes in a respectful tone, but this seems way too explicit and evocative of hentai. For God's sake, they gave Battler the sweaty, flushed look that you always see in porn.

Maybe it's as others have said, and it's meant purely to confront an audience with the horror of scenes that people have been engrained to normally eroticize by pulling a wolf in sheep's clothing trick.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, it is completely possible that one or more of the people who are on the island before the conference somehow arranged for there to be corpses in storage on the island to set up fake bodies so that the culprit could murder other members of the family without being a suspect (because the culprit was mistakenly identified as dead, when it was in fact a corpse which wouldn't count against the 18 people supposedly on the island, or 17 since we've already confirmed that the head of the family is actually dead before this poo poo goes down). It's also possible that the visiting family members could have brought corpses in refrigeration on the boat that brought them onto the island, and this should still not count against the number of people on the island. Plus, it is possible that the people who viewed the corpses lied about the bodies rather than making a mistake of fact while identifying them. This requires a conspiracy; multiple people must be involved for a plan like this to work out. Nobody but the culprit has to be all the way in on the conspiracy, though. The original conspiracy may have been what we saw here -- multiple family members pretending to be dead plus a blackmailer calling in order to scare Natsuhi into admitting that the patriarch is dead. Then someone who either wasn't in on the conspiracy figures it out and uses the opportunity to settle some scores/create an opportunity to enrich themselves, or a person in on the conspiracy does the exact same thing, meaning one of the "real" characters pulls an Erika either way.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
It occurs to me I should have put a warning at the top of that update.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I mean, it is completely possible that one or more of the people who are on the island before the conference somehow arranged for there to be corpses in storage on the island to set up fake bodies so that the culprit could murder other members of the family without being a suspect (because the culprit was mistakenly identified as dead, when it was in fact a corpse which wouldn't count against the 18 people supposedly on the island, or 17 since we've already confirmed that the head of the family is actually dead before this poo poo goes down). It's also possible that the visiting family members could have brought corpses in refrigeration on the boat that brought them onto the island, and this should still not count against the number of people on the island. Plus, it is possible that the people who viewed the corpses lied about the bodies rather than making a mistake of fact while identifying them. This requires a conspiracy; multiple people must be involved for a plan like this to work out. Nobody but the culprit has to be all the way in on the conspiracy, though. The original conspiracy may have been what we saw here -- multiple family members pretending to be dead plus a blackmailer calling in order to scare Natsuhi into admitting that the patriarch is dead. Then someone who either wasn't in on the conspiracy figures it out and uses the opportunity to settle some scores/create an opportunity to enrich themselves, or a person in on the conspiracy does the exact same thing, meaning one of the "real" characters pulls an Erika either way.

Huh? Is this in response to me? I'm talking about episode 1, not 5. No extra corpses, just 100% Grade-A Ushiromiya meat slurry with a Gohda-burger chaser.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
who the hell is looking at that and thinking "wow I bet they wanted to titillate the audience"

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tired Moritz posted:

who the hell is looking at that and thinking "wow I bet they wanted to titillate the audience"

Be grateful you don't watch anime.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Remember we've got red that guarantees the identity of all corpses. So you can have Shannon playing dead, or Shannon really dead, or even Shannon not there and the observers lying. But you can't have a different body made to look like Shannon's. So I don't see what a stash of bodies would do.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

ZiegeDame posted:

Huh? Is this in response to me? I'm talking about episode 1, not 5. No extra corpses, just 100% Grade-A Ushiromiya meat slurry with a Gohda-burger chaser.

Only in response to "let's talk about something else"! :smith:

Tired Moritz posted:

EagerSleeper posted:

Be grateful you don't watch anime.

This, pretty much. Or old Nasuverse VNs.

Like I said, I don't think Ryukishi was trying to titillate anyone, I think he was mocking that type of, uh, thing.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

The wedding guests already told us what's going to happen. Beatrice is going to attack the wedding and crush Erika into paste, at which point Battler being subservient to her won't make much difference. I can't wait to see how she pulls that off.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

idonotlikepeas posted:

The wedding guests already told us what's going to happen. Beatrice is going to attack the wedding and crush Erika into paste, at which point Battler being subservient to her won't make much difference. I can't wait to see how she pulls that off.

Whatever happens, there's going to be great background music.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

idonotlikepeas posted:

So you're saying your avatar is prophetic?

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

idonotlikepeas posted:

Spoilers: She uses magic.

Sorry, it's just been a while.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

ProfessorProf posted:

It occurs to me I should have put a warning at the top of that update.

too late ughhhghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ghhguhuhuhhhhhhhh

Beato he;lp

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I'm really sorry :( It should have occurred to me in advance, I put it up as soon as I thought of it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Tired Moritz posted:

Exactly. And yes, I do watch anime, and have played the odd VN where sex happens, and I think I know when I'm supposed to find something titillating or humorous- there are very clear signs that they put up to indicate when something is supposed to be enjoyable, an none of those signs are present here. I mean, I've scene the "sweaty, flushed" look that EagerSleeper is lacking about, for example, and a bit of blush and a few sweatdrops does not it make. Maybe it's just me missing social cues again, but is anyone really finding this as anything other than something disgusting and horrible?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

ProfessorProf posted:

I'm really sorry :( It should have occurred to me in advance, I put it up as soon as I thought of it.

it's all good now I just put those feelings of disgust and anxiety into an alternate persona

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

resurgam40 posted:

Maybe it's just me missing social cues again, but is anyone really finding this as anything other than something disgusting and horrible?

Well, I laughed, but not in a "this is actually funny" way, more in a "I see what you did there, Ryushiki07, and that's nasty" way.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Yeah, I know it's totally taking imagery of rape but it's definitely not trying to be titillating at all. If you're looking at this and going, "it sure is hot that Battler is getting figuratively assaulted right now." then ummm it's really more of a problem of you than the writing.

but yeah, you should put a warning sign for those that need it.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

oath2order posted:

Spoilers: She uses magic.

Sorry, it's just been a while.

Oh, even better. Then I get to enjoy watching it and also enjoy explaining how it's all fake.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
What I was trying to say is that seems like it's trying to have its cake and eat it too in terms of showing taking a rape scene. I understand that this is using imagery and dialogue straight out of bad hentai in order to let you know that it's specifically referencing bad hentai games, but it still involved putting in bad hentai. I always kinda worry about a lot of folks critical reading skills, because there are some people who defend the main character of Lolita, but I am glad at least that people here seem to have at least awareness of the cliche being scorned. But I felt that scene might have been written as if to allow those who don't care about anything other than 'hey, finally some action' or use word of mouth to bring sales. The former can't be helped, but the second can be facilitated (and has indeed happened a lot even with Hollywood movies). I'll have faith and say that the second is not at play here.

Tl;dr Was it having cake and eating it too? Hopefully not. That's as much as I'll say on the subject for now.

Will wait for Beato to come in and save the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Now we are asking for witches to help us. :smith: it ain't right.

Now I gotta find more mackerel.

• Locked thread