Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Actually the more I think about it, Kojima is a genius isn't he

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
"Hideo Kojima is such a visionary, he totally predicted what the NSA was going to be doing with the internet back in 2001."

"But Deus Ex had the exact same twist about a centralized data center using AI to manipulate data and perform mass surveillance, and it came out a year and a half before MGS2...

"Baka gaijin :rolleyes:"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Remember when after you beat the boss you were treated to a half hour long codec tragedy about the brutal trauma that the woman you probably just killed had experienced? And then you could go into a fashion shoot(?!) mode for which Kojima had obviously set up hours and hours of mocap sessions with the models he had cast?

Yeah when fighting the big robot dog I definitely thought MAN I HOPE I GET TO CREEPILY POSE AND PHOTOGRAPH A SEXY CHICK AFTER THIS

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Snak posted:

I don't think I encountered any bugs in all the hours I played.

:shrug:

One time I triggered the "pull a guy off a ledge from a ladder" takedown right when he was getting into the "go down a ladder" animation and he just floated up and down the ladder forever without dying and I couldn't get rid of the alert

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

"Hideo Kojima is such a visionary, he totally predicted what the NSA was going to be doing with the internet back in 2001."

"But Deus Ex had the exact same twist about a centralized data center using AI to manipulate data and perform mass surveillance, and it came out a year and a half before MGS2...

"Baka gaijin :rolleyes:"

People also had been writing about information matrices and social control for like...a century

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

One time I triggered the "pull a guy off a ledge from a ladder" takedown right when he was getting into the "go down a ladder" animation and he just floated up and down the ladder forever without dying and I couldn't get rid of the alert

i'm still in a dream haha (epic ladder)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Video games are the only medium that could have predicted that elites would try to impose their will upon society.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yes, it was a Reagan campaign slogan before it was the other guy's

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My commute used to take me past Federal Hall and sometimes I'd look into the alley where president solidus made his last stand and remember the good times

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As much grief as I give Raiden the bait and switch him as the MC in MGS2 is executed extremely well and smartly.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

haveblue posted:

My commute used to take me past Federal Hall and sometimes I'd look into the alley where president solidus made his last stand and remember the good times

Alley? I thought it was on top of the building? (I only watched the game)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I really want the HD collection to come to ps4. I have it on 360, but I'm lazy, and I want to play it on ps4.

edit: ^ it's definitly on top of the building. The "wall" that it's adjacent to is the side of Arsenal Gear.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Alley? I thought it was on top of the building? (I only watched the game)

Yeah, you may be right, I think the alley was occupied by bits of Arsenal Gear. It had to be on the roof so he could fall near the statue.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Metal Gear Solid is a great games series and might have been my favourite ever if everything after MGS3 didn't exist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Beauty and the Beast Corps are the worst bosses, and possibly the worst characters, in all of the Metal Gear Solid universe

:yeah:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Laughing Octopus is like the only good one and it doesn't hold up on replays just because there's only so many ways for her to hide.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ah dang there goes all my desire to replay mgs4 instead of just thinking of the insanely cool parts

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Laughing Octopus is like the only good one and it doesn't hold up on replays just because there's only so many ways for her to hide.

The wolf with a railgun fight is ok imo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

oddium posted:

ah dang there goes all my desire to replay mgs4 instead of just thinking of the insanely cool parts

quote:

code:
    O
  o
o

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

CrashCat posted:

Imagine you walked into the biggest library you've seen, bigger than two of the biggest you've ever been to put together, and near the front door someone put out a rack of books for sale. That's the proper level of concern.

This but for the Skyrim paid stuff too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

MGS4 owns start to finish IMO.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Beauty and the Beast Corps are the worst bosses, and possibly the worst characters, in all of the Metal Gear Solid universe

"storytime" drebin says as he wastes 20 minutes of my life with a boring and lovely exposition dump about why I should bother caring about these loving characters. In MGS1 and even 2 you had natural backstories about every boss. in 4 they just dumped them on you as clever hybrids of other bosses also sexy women.

People complain about the lack of story in MGSV but everyone should understand: after MGS4 it was the biggest breath of fresh air to just do fun poo poo and not have to get interrupted by everything that made MGS4 bad.

also my tier ranking is 3 > 2 > V > 1 > PW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4
(I have not included Revengeance because it is unfair to compare a Platinum game to these games)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You know what's an astoundingly good game? Metal Gear Solid 1

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One of the classic symptoms of PTSD is an uncontrollable urge to become a sexy murder cyborg, check the DSM

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

Its really remarkable how well it holds up. A true classic

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh yeah and ghost babel is good too

Also teeeeeeechnically it's the first game starting raiden

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

there's only like 20 guards I think in the entire game of MGS1 which is pretty crazy. You weren't really getting into combat very often unless there was a boss so it's a good balance of narrative and fighting. Really wish Twin Snakes hadn't been developed by a madman or we could have had ports of that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I can't wait for Death Stranding to be horrible so I have definitive evidence of my "Hideo Kojima as George Lucas" theory.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Its really remarkable how well it holds up. A true classic

It has better voice acting and facial animation than some contemporary AAA games

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

mgs1.... a masterpiece

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

In Training posted:

One of the first games in years I beat then immediately had to do another playthrough instead of moving on to something else. Unforgettable. :cheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

One of the first games in years I beat then immediately had to do another playthrough instead of moving on to something else. Unforgettable. :cheers:

Breezy fun to do too because you can run around in a tux and once you know the layout and skip cutscenes you can try to fly through in like 90 minutes.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

I can't wait for Death Stranding to be horrible so I have definitive evidence of my "Hideo Kojima as George Lucas" theory.

It's gonna be really good

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lurdiak posted:

*farts loudly*

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I will hope against hope that all videogames are good, and then ultimately be disappointed when I see the top view of a turd on the box.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Did any of the Fallout 4 DLC turn out good? I think I'm over wanting a good RPG in it and the exploration was pretty great in the game so I thought I'd get back into the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

It will be good though

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mx4RE3jrTs

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

an actual dog posted:

It's gonna be really good

corn in the bible posted:

It will be good though

Time will tell. I mean we still have no loving idea what the gameplay is, which is rarely a good sign.

If I'm wrong I get to play a cool game. It's win-win for the L-man as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope Death Stranding is a walking sim.

• Locked thread