Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

i can't even imagine running a kitchen without an immersion blender, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

We don't have one

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I've worked in a number of commercial kitchens, one of them quite high volume and none of them used immersion blenders. I think it depends a lot on the type of preparations you're doing.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We use them in pastry quite a bit. From blending ice cream bases, creme brulee base, when tempering chocolate.
The big ones are called boat motors.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Absolutely do not want to turn this thread into a debate on gun control, but I do wonder how customers would treat staff if they had to assume all their servers were packing heat.
https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/878071878442770432

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You fool, you've summoned LeJackal. He has some sort of sense about these things.

But that wouldn't work at a hospital I think.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Thumposaurus posted:

We use them in pastry quite a bit. From blending ice cream bases, creme brulee base, when tempering chocolate.
The big ones are called boat motors.

Yeah the 3 foot long gently caress off huge ones can mix an entire lexan of poo poo in minutes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Absolutely do not want to turn this thread into a debate on gun control, but I do wonder how customers would treat staff if they had to assume all their servers were packing heat.
https://twitter.com/WalshFreedom/status/878071878442770432

Anyone desperate enough to rob a loving Quizno's of all places is not someone I'd want to provoke. Just give them the cash, and let the insurance and law enforcement work it out. Money is replaceable but human lives are not.

What if, after the store employee opened fire, the other robbers decided to execute everyone in the store? I'm reasonably certain most employers have "don't bring weapons to work" clauses in their employee handbooks, so if that's the case, I'd fire her.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Midniter posted:

Anyone desperate enough to rob a loving Quizno's of all places is not someone I'd want to provoke. Just give them the cash, and let the insurance and law enforcement work it out. Money is replaceable but human lives are not.

What if, after the store employee opened fire, the other robbers decided to execute everyone in the store? I'm reasonably certain most employers have "don't bring weapons to work" clauses in their employee handbooks, so if that's the case, I'd fire her.

That would require actual thought into the situation, something Joe Walsh lacks in general.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

The Midniter posted:

poo poo, one of our shift managers had an interview at another place the other day and they asked what she'd do if someone robbed them. "Give them the loving money, why is this a question, my life is worth more than the $600 in the register" is apparently not a common answer from a 24-year-old girl

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

TheKennedys posted:

poo poo, one of our shift managers had an interview at another place the other day and they asked what she'd do if someone robbed them. "Give them the loving money, why is this a question, my life is worth more than the $600 in the register" is apparently not a common answer from a 24-year-old girl

This is always the correct answer even if you aren't a 24 year old girl.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Seriously, I used to work in the accounting office at a Wal-Mart and that was the first thing they told us. If they want the money give them the money and let the police catch them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TheKennedys posted:

poo poo, it should be. I got robbed at gunpoint working a Dairy Queen in mid-February in Iowa back in high school. Just stuck everything from the register in a bag, handed it to the dude, and called the cops once he left.

They picked him up on the way, having crashed his stolen car into a ditch due to the storm. There was a total of maybe $90 in the entire store at the time, because who the gently caress buys ice cream during a blizzard in a midwest winter?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Also, I note that we're a couple weeks out on the thread's 5th birthday. I think that's a good milestone for a new one. Anyone interested in working up a nice OP?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Midniter posted:

It's not exactly unheard of for robbers to shoot their victims even after the victims have handed over the money or whatever. Corporate policies aside, putting your trust in the charitable good will of the guy who has issued the "your money or your life" threat is questionable at best, especially in this particular case where the robbers didn't just say "Give us the money," they locked the doors:

quote:

Police say they generally don't recommend that citizens shoot at suspects, but they acknowledge this was a particularly aggressive crime.

“This is an extreme type of robbery,” Wilking said. “We’re talking about a situation where they're locking the door, they're forcing their way into the back room; it's a takeover-style robbery. It's not something that we see very often, much more dangerous for everybody involved."

And if you're just playing the numbers then armed resistance (like, with a gun), is safer than compliance; how much safer depends on a bunch of factors, but overall across the board if you have a gun you're safer resisting than complying. Unarmed resistance is a really bad idea, however, and is very likely to get you hurt or dead, so coupled with a corporate policy of "don't bring weapons to work" a corporate policy of "hand over the money" makes perfect sense.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Phanatic posted:

It's not exactly unheard of for robbers to shoot their victims even after the victims have handed over the money or whatever. Corporate policies aside, putting your trust in the charitable good will of the guy who has issued the "your money or your life" threat is questionable at best, especially in this particular case where the robbers didn't just say "Give us the money," they locked the doors:

And if you're just playing the numbers then armed resistance (like, with a gun), is safer than compliance; how much safer depends on a bunch of factors, but overall across the board if you have a gun you're safer resisting than complying. Unarmed resistance is a really bad idea, however, and is very likely to get you hurt or dead, so coupled with a corporate policy of "don't bring weapons to work" a corporate policy of "hand over the money" makes perfect sense.

this is a very stupid post and is some NRA bullshit. People who are robbing are not wanting to get a loving murder charge.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

this is a very stupid post and is some NRA bullshit. People who are robbing are not wanting to get a loving murder charge.

Here's one where they robbed the guy and then shot him in the back anyway:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/3-Arrested-for-Pizza-Delivery-Man-Murder--137889028.html

Several years ago in Harrisburg, same thing: They robbed a convenience store, the clerk handed over the money, they shot him anyway:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/08/three_charged_with_murder_afte.html

quote:

The victim, Chong Kwak, was 51 when they walked into his Sun Brother's Market store on South 16th Street around 8 p.m. Feb. 4. He had just passed his citizenship test and was only weeks away from becoming a U.S. citizen.

As the trio of robbers left the store, money in hand, one of them turned and shot Kwak.

LA, robbers robbed a Popeyes, moved the three workers into the walk-in, and then shot them dead. They already had the money.

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-04-17/news/mn-47160_1_fast-food-restaurant

Another one in Nashville, same thing. Rob the restaurant, herd the employees into the walk-in, and shoot them:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96520

It happens. People who are robbing do, in fact, sometimes kill people even when the people they are robbing are totally compliant and offer no resistance whatsoever, because they are not smart people and they think that the chances of being caught for the robbery will go down if the witnesses are dead. If you're robbing a fast food restaurant in the first place your abilities for risk analysis are demonstrably pretty lovely, and thinking "Well, this bad person wants my money and doesn't actually want to hurt me because he realizes that if he hurts me he is increasing his chances of getting caught and therefore if I give him my money I will be safe and he will not hurt me" is very stupid bullshit.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 23, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

So no one is ever killed in a robbery?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

oh wow four anecdotes stretching all the way back to 94. If you're claiming it's statistically safer to start a loving firefight for every robbery you need a bit more than that.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Manuel Calavera posted:

But that wouldn't work at a hospital I think.

But that would be the best place!!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

oh wow four anecdotes stretching all the way back to 94. If you're claiming it's statistically safer to start a loving firefight for every robbery you need a bit more than that.

I didn't say anything about starting a firefight.

https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01064237
Kleck & DeLone. (1993). Victim Resistance and Offender Weapon Effects in Robbery. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, Vol. 9, No. 1, 1993.

quote:

What happens when victims resist robbers? Logistic regression analysis of over 4500 sample robbery incidents reported in the 1979–1985 National Crime Surveys reveals the following about various forms of victim resistance. Self-protection (SP) of any kind apparently reduces the probability of the robbery being completed, i.e., the robber getting away with the victim's property. Armed resistance is more effective than unarmed resistance, and resistance with a gun, though relatively rare, is the most effective victim response of all. Resistance with a gun also appears to reduce the likelihood of the victim being injured, while two types of resistance appear to increase it: (1) unarmed physical force against the robber and (2) trying to get help, attract attention, or scare the robber away. The robber's possession of a gun appears to inhibit victim resistance, which can sometimes provoke a robber to attack; robber gun possession thereby reduces the probability of victim injury. However, even controlling for victim resistance, robber gun possession, is associated with a lower rate of injury to the victim. Finally, robbers with handguns are much more likely to complete their robberies, and those with knives and other weapons are somewhat more likely to do so, compared to unarmed robbers.
The Table IV results indicate that robberies are significantly less likely to be completed when victims resist. This is true for all eight forms of self-protection. Armed resistance was more frequently successful than unarmed resistance, and the most frequently successful method of all was resistance with a gun.
Five of the eight forms of self-protection were negatively associated with victim injury; three of these negative associations were significant. Gunarmed resistance was one of those with a significant negative association, and its coefficient was the largest one among the self-protection variables. On balance, victim gun use was the resistance strategy most strongly and consistently associated with successful outcomes for robbery victims, confirming the simple crosstabular findings of Kleck (1988). Two forms of self-protection were significantly and positively associated with injury: (1) using physical force, without a weapon, against robbers and (2) trying to get help, attract attention, or scare robbers away.

If your employer has a "no weapons" policy, and you violate it, you should probably expect to be fired. But someone faced with a robber who is threatening his or her life who decides that resistance is safer is not making an inherently dumb decision, and the advice that the robber won't hurt you if you just do what he wants is not borne out by how robbers actually act.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 23, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I too cherry pick stats.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Love it.

"That never happens."
"Yeah, it does, here's cases where it did."
"Lol those are just anecdotes you need more than that."
"Okay, here's peer-reviewed research in an on-field journal, by an author who's won the American Criminological Society's highest award for his research."
"You're just cherry picking."

Meanwhile, this goes unchallenged:

"What if, after the store employee opened fire, the other robbers decided to execute everyone in the store?"

And what stats did you "cherry-pick" to conclude that just handing over the money is always safer, or even the way to bet?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Phanatic posted:

I didn't say anything about starting a firefight.

https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01064237
Kleck & DeLone. (1993). Victim Resistance and Offender Weapon Effects in Robbery. Journal of Quantitative Criminology, Vol. 9, No. 1, 1993.

If your employer has a "no weapons" policy, and you violate it, you should probably expect to be fired. But someone faced with a robber who is threatening his or her life who decides that resistance is safer is not making an inherently dumb decision, and the advice that the robber won't hurt you if you just do what he wants is not borne out by how robbers actually act.

What about incidences of harm to the victims of robberies where they provided no resistance whatsoever and complied with the demands of the robbers, what proportion of victims were hurt? What do the stats look like on that? Then you can compare the probability of getting hurt offering no resistance versus getting hurt while resisting, gun or not.

I know which one I'd choose every time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The Midniter posted:

What about incidences of harm to the victims of robberies where they provided no resistance whatsoever and complied with the demands of the robbers, what proportion of victims were hurt? What do the stats look like on that? Then you can compare the probability of getting hurt offering no resistance versus getting hurt while resisting, gun or not.

I know which one I'd choose every time.

his own source:

quote:

However, even controlling for victim resistance, robber gun possession, is associated with a lower rate of injury to the victim.
No numbers associated for some reason

his states also assume robbery as a whole including personal crimes, not those against work/corp where you're behind a register.

Phanatic posted:

"What if, after the store employee opened fire, the other robbers decided to execute everyone in the store?"

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/armed-civilians-do-not-stop-mass-shootings/

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
shut the gently caress up about guns

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

The Midniter posted:

From the paper: "Resistance with a gun also appears to reduce the likelihood of the victim being injured, while two types of resistance appear to increase it:" I don't think there are any studies purely on *retail* robbery, but "gun or not" is a hugely important factor. Unarmed resistance gets you hurt. Retail clerks who offer unarmed resistance to robbers are way more likely to be killed than clerks who comply. It depends hugely on what kind of resistance you're offering, but yeah, if you're *not* armed definitely do not resist.

And again, all robberies are not created equal. A guy who says "Give me what's in the register and I'm gone" is different than a group of guys who are locking the customers in and herding them into the walk-in. My point isn't "If you're robbed start shooting!" My point is the people who are saying "Just hand over the money" are making a general statement that (a) isn't well-supported and (b) is very possibly wrong in the specific instance in that story, where even the cops said "Yeah, if they're locking people in it's way more likely that poo poo's about to go down."

JawKnee posted:

Okay.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Idk why you'd want to rob a restaurant it's poo poo money anyway

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

JawKnee posted:

Im with this

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

So am I.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sorry for posting that, I was just fantasizing about pistol whipping a customer when they send back the BLT because they're allergic to tomatoes.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Skwirl posted:

Sorry for posting that, I was just fantasizing about pistol whipping a customer when they send back the BLT because they're allergic to tomatoes.

I had someone send back an entire order because they had GPO in their eggs when they didn't want any. The whole. Thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

iospace posted:

I had someone send back an entire order because they had GPO in their eggs when they didn't want any. The whole. Thing.

What's GPO? Google doesn't help and if it's a typo I'm drawing a complete blank.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ground PeppercOrns?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Skwirl posted:

What's GPO? Google doesn't help and if it's a typo I'm drawing a complete blank.

Green peppers and onions.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Worst for me was a woman complaining that we wouldn't give her free chips and salsa. At a BBQ restaurant.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shooting Blanks posted:

Worst for me was a woman complaining that we wouldn't give her free chips and salsa. At a BBQ restaurant.

Did you even have potato chips there?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scaramouche posted:

But that would be the best place!!

I... oh goddammit.

e - it's over, good.

e2 - My pet peeve about orders lately is people who don't want peppers OR onions in a cheesesteak (when we do them.) Or quesadillas (when I do the hospital room service,) without pepper or onion. That's dumb and pointless.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 24, 2017

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

iospace posted:

Did you even have potato chips there?

Yeah, served as a side with sandwiches. Gave her a basket of those and charged her, was too busy otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
excuse ME but I am ALLERGIC to the COLOUR GREEN

• Locked thread