Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

blk posted:

I'm playing Napoleon, TW for the first time (experienced with the other games) and am having a hard time in the European Campaign. I quickly amassed a full stack army and bumrushed London, but the city keeps revolting after occupation. I've eliminated taxes and dismantled all unhappiness-generating buildings in the region (manufactory, gun thing, Oxford college). I can't build a theatre upgrade in time to keep people happy, and I can't station any more units in town - completely full.

Is it impossible to subdue them? Should I just loot the town and move on?

National capitals get a massive unrest penalty, so it's likely you'll have to fight off 2 or 3 uprisings before the place is even remotely under control. It's doable, but a massive resource sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SeanBeansShako posted:

It is a mod, you might have seen your guys with Yari spears doing it. Outside mods soldiers in FOTS do not have bayonets on their rifles. They usually switch to swords or sabers.

Heh, i must have installed it at some point, just checked my mod list and I have that picture on my old FOTS screenshots album.

I've also been sucked into FOTS again because of it. Goddamn this is the best total war.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Holy poo poo Ikko Ikki start is hard, I've been dogpiled by basically everyone and am only holding on because the AI totally fails to understand how difficult castles are to take

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Loanswords will be your workhose for a long time, abuse peasants and how great upgrades and experience are for them. Also Ikko Ikki temples are freaking great, they give warrior monks as garrison.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ikko Ikki and Oda are my favourite factions to use ashigaru with because they both emphasize huge armies of cheap peasants. Your choice of disciplined 16th century pikemen or crazed buddhist monks will determine if you like Oda or Ikko Ikki more.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Come to think of it, is there any real reason to play Tokugawa or Uesugi other than a challenge? Uesugi just seem like discount Ikko-Ikki (even sharing unique units) although they do get access to good samurai and metsuke, and Tokugawa gets the same troop bonus as Hattori, plus a bonus to metsuke success (that no one uses) and diplomatic relations (ehh) as a reward for having the hardest start in the game

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Uesugi play a bit different from Ikko Ikki since they start as Buddhist and can get samurai and so on, but for me the big reason I pick whatever clan these days is color and location. Uesugi is one of the few clans in the eastern part of the map, so it's an interesting choice sometimes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Uesugi are bragging rights plus Kenshin is the coolest faction leader alongside shingen

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Play as Otomo and shoot everyone forever.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Well my Ikko Ikki run is probably dead, I ran into starvation at the exact time someone took my capital, I'm at war with three-quarters of Japan and my economy is garbage. Not having metsuke is kind of a big deal, I can't afford anything beyond like 20 ashi with a monk or two plus garrisons, and that's with all the trade I can get plus that one island gold mine.

Ofaloaf posted:

Play as Otomo and shoot everyone forever.

this is very correct, tercios are pretty much literally katana samurai but with guns

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

StashAugustine posted:

Well my Ikko Ikki run is probably dead, I ran into starvation at the exact time someone took my capital, I'm at war with three-quarters of Japan and my economy is garbage. Not having metsuke is kind of a big deal, I can't afford anything beyond like 20 ashi with a monk or two plus garrisons, and that's with all the trade I can get plus that one island gold mine.

Thus always with the Ikko Ikki

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Whenever I played ikko ikki, i'd take the island with the gold mine, travel up to the east of the map and work my way down. Worked pretty well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a trick to not getting DoW'd by every clan in Japan at once?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, I'm in an ancient Rome/Egypt mood, any must have mods for a first play through of Rome 2?

I mean, I've played the hell out of skirmish battles and stuff but I have kind of avoided starting a full on campaign.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Deakul posted:

So, I'm in an ancient Rome/Egypt mood, any must have mods for a first play through of Rome 2?

I mean, I've played the hell out of skirmish battles and stuff but I have kind of avoided starting a full on campaign.

Get an agent mod and a squalor reduction mod.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
In Shogun I find it's usually better to try to make One Good Friend, than stay lukewarmly neutral with everyone.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I make one good friend by subjugating a border state and vassalizing them so they can act as a buffer while I massacre everything on my side of the island. And they will continue to love me because I keep one stack of mostly ashigaru troops in their territory as "protection" while I throw back invading armies to soften up for further expansion.

Fall of the Samurai is hilarious and fun but Shogun 2 base is so drat perfect.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Fangz posted:

In Shogun I find it's usually better to try to make One Good Friend, than stay lukewarmly neutral with everyone.

This is generally the strategy I take but if you can only afford one ashigaru stack it helps to not be at war on multiple fronts

e: whoa how did I miss that ikko-ikki monk rebellions convert the province to you? that changes things

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 21, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Welp steam sale has me chasing the shiny new Attila campaign and hooly poo poo there's a lot of chrome in there they cut from Warhammer like politics, food, whatever's going on with the building trees, etc. I skipped Rome 2 and I'm super lost

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

StashAugustine posted:

Welp steam sale has me chasing the shiny new Attila campaign and hooly poo poo there's a lot of chrome in there they cut from Warhammer like politics, food, whatever's going on with the building trees, etc. I skipped Rome 2 and I'm super lost

I just fired up Rome 2 with Divide et Impera for the first time since it was released, same boat.

I really like how units actually kill routers though. Pursuit in Warhammer is a casual stroll, in Rome post-battle your cavalry will melt through shattered units.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Now that yet another Steam sale is upon us and I actually have some disposable income, I was hoping to get some buying advice.

The last Total War game I really loved was Rome: Total War (the first one), especially with the Total Realism mod. I played Shogun 2 but couldn't really get into it and I found Total War: Warhammer serviceable but kind of boring without the real/counterfactual history aspect.

Should I bother with Rome 2 or Attila or should I just reinstall Rome: Total War? Are there any mods for them on par with something like Rome: Total Realism? Thanks.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Rome 2 has a hunch of mods depending on your personal preferred balance realism and fun, Divide et Impera being the most popular overhauls, but there's also plenty of tweaks and minor mods if you just want to make smaller changes to the base game. However, everything is simplified enough that it usually compares pretty poorly with hardcore R:TW fans.

Attila is a better game mechanically, but I don't think I had nearly as much fun playing it. The AI is completely incompetent at running the Roman Empire (which is, I suppose, historically accurate.) and so ultimately your troops spend a lot more time settling depopulated wastelands than they do fighting actual wars. The additional campaigns are very good though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is Last Roman good because the concept sounds great but I heard it wasn't that good?

Also I officially have no clue how to manage either politics or cities in Attila, is there a guide to those anywhere?

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

Is Last Roman good because the concept sounds great but I heard it wasn't that good?

I can only comment on playing as Belisarius, but I loved it. You're forced into using horde mechanics unless you choose to betray Justinian, and so you're consistently short on men and cash, and forced to deal with problems on multiple fronts while getting dicked around by Palace politics. It's a very unique take from the usual map painting. I can see how that wouldn't be popular with other players though.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

New Butt Order posted:

I can only comment on playing as Belisarius, but I loved it. You're forced into using horde mechanics unless you choose to betray Justinian, and so you're consistently short on men and cash, and forced to deal with problems on multiple fronts while getting dicked around by Palace politics. It's a very unique take from the usual map painting. I can see how that wouldn't be popular with other players though.

Atilla is honestly a pretty different game in terms on tone compared to others. its "the world is poo poo, survive. if your lucky maybe make an empire" theme deffo wont sit well for everyone

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

Also I officially have no clue how to manage either politics or cities in Attila, is there a guide to those anywhere?

Politics and cities are less complicated than they initially seem; it just kind of throws a lot at you at once and doesn't explain much of it well.

The main things to be aware of for cities are sanitation and food. Food is a bit weird because although you have a global food supply, the local food supply for each province also matters - if the local food supply is in the negative than it will give a penalty to public order even if you have a massive global surplus. If you exempt a province from taxation though, it considers it to be food neutral regardless of its actual numbers.

Sanitation can be kind of hard to keep positive depending on what buildings you're using - generally economic buildings have massive sanitation penalties so you might just have to live with it in some cases. There are some buildings that give sanitation bonuses to every town in the province so building one of those is usually sufficient to keep your whole province from getting sick. Disease isn't the end of the world, but you want to try to avoid sending your armies into diseased cities, since if THEY get sick it tends to suck (usually preventing reinforcement until the disease wears off).

Also unlike Warhammer, cities and towns have totally different sets of buildings. So you should be aware that for each province any buildings that are city exclusive, you'll only be able to build one, while town-exclusive buildings you'll be able to have duplicates (in different towns). This also means that military buildings in cities and towns produce different units, so you'll need to build all of them if you want a full set of options.

Politics aren't really too hard to manage - you don't need to do much with it most of the time. The main thing you want to do is fill up the various titles you have available to hand out - they give bonuses to the people that hold them and make them happier. The power balance is affected by Dominion and Control (it's just a straight average of both values). Control is generally easy to manage - it only changes based on the result of various events. You can manually raise it with the "increase control" action with one of your family members. Dominion is a bit more complicated - it's based on the ratio of influence between family and non-family members (the side pane). So if you have a lot of generals or governors who aren't members of your family, you'll probably have less dominion. None of the political stuff really has a HUGE impact on things, so you don't have to worry about it most of the time.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 23, 2017

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ok I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up Rome 2. Been listening through the History of Rome podcast and got a hankering for some ancient warfare.

Any of the DLCs worth picking up or necessary for mods to work?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Ok I'm going to bite the bullet and pick up Rome 2. Been listening through the History of Rome podcast and got a hankering for some ancient warfare.

Any of the DLCs worth picking up or necessary for mods to work?

Hannibal at the Gates and Caesar in Gaul are both really great little short campaigns. Wrath of Sparta is not that great. Besides that, whatever factions you feel like (Greek states pack is hoplite after hoplite, zzzzzz)

And the blood patch, duh. Get that.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

StashAugustine posted:

I hated it because the typical thing i'd do is take a city and then watch as 3 stacks come to take it back while there is nothing I can do to prevent it. I gave it a ton of goes and the end result every time was "you get swarmed by more stacks than you can field".

If someone can tell me what the correct first move is to do, that'd be grand.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dogstile posted:

If someone can tell me what the correct first move is to do, that'd be grand.

Surrender, Belisarius!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Picked up Attila with blood dlc and man are units indistinguishable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Try age of Charlemagne or avoid the France Free For all and play an eastern faction.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I started a vanilla grand campaign before I start considering the DLC campaigns to see if I like it enough to give a poo poo, and I want to be a viking. I'm digging running around as the Saxons, slowly carving out a breadbasket from the ruins of Rome, and making sure these rear end in a top hat roving hordes all get shanked if they step foot on my farms.

I need to disable these agents for real though, and these building trees are awful. TW:W's anti-agent mods and reasonable buildings spoiled me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm not really digging vanilla Attila. I played the Picts and got down into France/Spain on normal (prob shoulda played on Hard). The strategy map seems just like a mess of buildings that initially appear overwhelming but then you figure out the one or two blueprints for a province and call it a day. It seems like I'm only fighting siege battles and they're pretty much just giant shoving matches due to the way towns work, although having some raiders run around burning poo poo is cool. The armies don't seem to have either the elegance of Shogun or the variety of Warhammer- maybe its because I'm not used to it but I'm not sure I wanna spend that much time comparing german spear levies to celtic guerillas or whatever. Am I missing something and should I give it another shot? Does Charlemagne fix enough of the issues to try that instead?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
The Celtic units may or may not be boring. The strategic gameplay is definitely more boring for the Celts b/c you aren't really experiencing Hun Terror and you can hole up in Britain if you like. The proper Attila campaign is either Romes, the Huns, or the Central Europe tribes that need to get the gently caress away from them.

The differences in Attila units are more about their weapons. Axes are really great offensive troops, pikes are defensive, swords are in betweeners, but everything has high upkeep so you're intended to be raiding and looting constantly while also disbanding depleted units while everything falls to poo poo around you.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Celtic units may or may not be boring. The strategic gameplay is definitely more boring for the Celts b/c you aren't really experiencing Hun Terror and you can hole up in Britain if you like. The proper Attila campaign is either Romes, the Huns, or the Central Europe tribes that need to get the gently caress away from them.

The differences in Attila units are more about their weapons. Axes are really great offensive troops, pikes are defensive, swords are in betweeners, but everything has high upkeep so you're intended to be raiding and looting constantly while also disbanding depleted units while everything falls to poo poo around you.

Honestly, Attila units make more sense if you compare them by weight. Mediums beat pretty much every light or very light unit handily, weapon irrelevant.

I find playing as the various Celts is a more standard Total War game: paint the map, eventually you can come face to face with the huns. That being said, it's all very same-y.

Unless! You decide to be the contra-Attila and do that achievement where you declare war on every faction you encounter the moment you encounter them, which makes the game a lot more fun. My favorite thing was taking over all of Britain in like three turns, while a grab bag of 4-5 factions that were united against me took over various British provinces, leaving me with London. I win a heroic victory fighting off 6000+ troops with a 2000 stack, and systematically gobble up all of Britain not unlike a forest fire. Then the game was effectively over, and I realized the game was not worth $60. Thank god I bought it for $10.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I feel the Middle East (specially if you have access to the Empires of Sand factions) is a much more fun region for general gameplay in Attila. Loads of emerging factions to try to somehow take advantage of the apocalyptic wars between the Eastern Romans and the Sassanids and a much bigger variety in rosters.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I really liked the Belisarius campaign; one of the early battles had me arranging my battered army in the North African desert and fending off wave after wave of cavalry, each time coming a little closer to having the whole army just break apart.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

I'm not really digging vanilla Attila. I played the Picts and got down into France/Spain on normal (prob shoulda played on Hard). The strategy map seems just like a mess of buildings that initially appear overwhelming but then you figure out the one or two blueprints for a province and call it a day. It seems like I'm only fighting siege battles and they're pretty much just giant shoving matches due to the way towns work, although having some raiders run around burning poo poo is cool. The armies don't seem to have either the elegance of Shogun or the variety of Warhammer- maybe its because I'm not used to it but I'm not sure I wanna spend that much time comparing german spear levies to celtic guerillas or whatever. Am I missing something and should I give it another shot? Does Charlemagne fix enough of the issues to try that instead?

The sameyness of the units was a big problem with the Vanilla campaign for me as well. The Celtic and Germanic units rosters were some of the dullest in Rome 2 as well, but they didn't make up most of the roster then like they do in Attila. To add insult to injury, the Celts, Longbeards, and Viking Forefather DLCS are all built from that same mold too. If you don't want to shell out for the desert DLC but do want to try something different, try out a match as Western Rome. At the faction-selection screen, your position certainly looks powerful and you hold a lot of territory, but you won't be holding onto it for long. You simply don't have the men to keep a lid on internal unrest and protect your frontier against all the factions you're at war with.

Charlemagne and Last Roman are both super solid though.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah one of Attila's issues is that a lot of the base game factions use the boring, generic "Germanic" unit roster, with maybe a few unique units thrown in that look exactly the same as the generics. The DLCs are better, with more recent DLC generally being more interesting (I feel like the Arabian Peninsula one is probably the best overall, although I haven't had much of a chance to play with the Slavic one).

The thing about Attila is that it seems like they kind of only intended you to play one of the Germanic factions maybe once - they all play more or less the same and the minor difference in starting position barely makes an impact beyond the first dozen turns. So you just pick the one you feel is most interesting and after that, play the Romans or Sassanids or something.