Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

this is a fantastic read.

I guess maybe unless you're a Knicks fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

dokmo posted:

They probably think they can get Paul George much cheaper.

I don't think he would stay in Boston but I guess preventing PG from getting traded to the Lakers is still a win because they have the Lakers 1st next year, right?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I don't think he would stay in Boston but I guess preventing PG from getting traded to the Lakers is still a win because they have the Lakers 1st next year, right?

I guess they have a potential deal that he will extend his contract for 3 years to go to Beantown. Has to wait till after they sign Gordon. Also, you sir are not a Big Baller for doubting Lonzo will take the Lakers to the playoffs this year!

e; Woah, this is good news for me, no PG in LA probably equals no Lebron in LA either!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I thought MV hated Quinn Snyder

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is PG's preference for the Lakers anything more than he's from Cali?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Michael Corleone posted:

I guess they have a potential deal that he will extend his contract for 3 years to go to Beantown. Has to wait till after they sign Gordon. Also, you sir are not a Big Baller for doubting Lonzo will take the Lakers to the playoffs this year!

e; Woah, this is good news for me, no PG in LA probably equals no Lebron in LA either!

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/878285335037321216

Eh maybe not

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

zoux posted:

Is PG's preference for the Lakers anything more than he's from Cali?

Go spend 4 year in Indiana then wonder about a multimillionaire wanting to be The Guy in his hometown LA

Not a huge mystery

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Ammanas posted:

Go spend 4 year in Indiana then wonder about a multimillionaire wanting to be The Guy in his hometown LA

Not a huge mystery

Shut up it's not THAT bad...!

Okay maybe it is

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

MourningView posted:

Yes if you handwave away the best thing they did and pretend it didn't count I guess they didn't do that well.

They've missed on lottery picks (aside from Hayward, who has been a ridiculous value relative to where they drafted him) but made up for it by being really good later in the first round. Hood was great value where they got him and Gobert is one of the most valuable players in the league. They also did a great job moving early on Williams and turning him into a excellent young player in Favors who has been derailed by bad injury luck the last two years. They went outside the box to hire one of the best coaches in the league. Hill was basically the perfect fit for their roster but couldn't stay healthy.

They won 50 games last year despite having some of the worst injury luck in the league. They played like a Top 3-4 team when everyone was healthy. If the Warriors didn't exist and they'd been healthy they would have been title contenders and probably have a much better chance of keeping Hill and Hayward.

Yes there were some missed opportunities. Not everyone hits every draft pick and it's basically impossible to get a free agent to Utah. On the whole they did really really well and it's gonna fall apart without ever getting a chance to see what it could have been with some better luck on the injury front. That sucks.

I'm sorry but drafting the French Thabeet at 26 and having him turn into David Robinson is a pretty big fluke for a FO that consistently fails to find replacement level players in the lottery. And even if you take Gobert into account I think Utah has drafted poorly, let good players walk for nothing, and failed to unearth any gems via trade, D-League, or free agency. It's disappointing that injuries have derailed them, but that doesn't change the fact that the FO has been mediocre at best.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

That was before he made Utah into a winning team.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hated the hire but he's been great. I hated Hayward at one point too

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

MourningView posted:

Hated the hire but he's been great. I hated Hayward at one point too

Lmao yes you did!!!!

I'll never let you forget it, MV.

I'm still so sorry for Lickliter.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

this is a fantastic read.

I guess maybe unless you're a Knicks fan.

I feel like if you're a Knicks fan you should really be in it for the drama, not necessarily the basketball

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Ammanas posted:

Not a huge mystery

Might as well go to Boston then, cause he's never gonna be the man in LA when Big Baller Brand Presents: Lonzo Ball ft. LaVar Ball is running things.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tons of sixers fans are going mental because Colangelo sold a 2nd rounder. It's nuts.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I'm sorry but drafting the French Thabeet at 26 and having him turn into David Robinson is a pretty big fluke for a FO that consistently fails to find replacement level players in the lottery. And even if you take Gobert into account I think Utah has drafted poorly, let good players walk for nothing, and failed to unearth any gems via trade, D-League, or free agency. It's disappointing that injuries have derailed them, but that doesn't change the fact that the FO has been mediocre at best.

If your barometer is any success is a fluke and any failure is institutional then I can see why a 50 win team would look like a failed rebuild. If they lose Hayward it'll suck, but dumping him last year would have been a bad move too. I'm not sure what else they should have done.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRfadp9l4Yo

David Kahn: "I think both teams should be happy with this trade."

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

TBeats posted:

so what's the over/under on the number of games Fultz actually plays?

i say 17.5 is a fair number, but i would still consider taking the under if it was 0.5.

:jerkbag:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

euphronius posted:

Tons of sixers fans are going mental because Colangelo sold a 2nd rounder. It's nuts.

It's so unbelievably dumb. It's not actually that many people though. The vast majority are focused on the awesome.

Can't wait for July 3rd. Fultz vs Tatum in summer league just 10 days away

Jota fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 23, 2017

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Jota posted:

It's so unbelievably dumb. It's not actually that many people though. The vast majority are focused on the awesome.

Colangelo gave a very strange press conference last night in which he acted like they didn't trade Evans or Sterling Brown.

People are theorizing that he has to wait until a certain date to finalize anything because the Sixers are almost at the cap for $ received in trades in 2016-2017; i.e. if they were sold for $, it's not going to be for the absurd $100k amount that Nissan Nudist Cup was upset about.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Diva Cupcake posted:

Dolan not giving a poo poo about the Knicks seems like a pretty great development. He cared a ton when Isaiah was running things.

I love it. Let him run around with his crappy blues band.

On the flip side the Knicks were somehow more successful with him running things.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Colangelo gave a very strange press conference last night in which he acted like they didn't trade Evans or Sterling Brown.

People are theorizing that he has to wait until a certain date to finalize anything because the Sixers are almost at the cap for $ received in trades in 2016-2017; i.e. if they were sold for $, it's not going to be for the absurd $100k amount that Nissan Nudist Cup was upset about.

Those two weren't at the presser today so he obv traded them and it will be done July 1.

Who cares tho. They had tons of second rounders and have many more next year. They obviously can't make them all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao Nirwad. KC Johnson is on the radio giving GarPax the wild dickflute solo.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I regularly visit Libertyballers, Crossingbroad and the Sixers Reddit and am not sure what fans you guys are referring to.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Comments in this thread for example https://www.libertyballers.com/2017...elo-the-process

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

leftist heap posted:

So I guess Portland couldn't move any salary with their picks and just said gently caress it and drafted whoever they wanted? I dunno what the plan is now to shed salary.

I was shocked that Brooklyn didnt take Crabbe's contract in exchange for the #10

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Because giving away assets for literally nothing is the dumbest thing on the planet and a gross insult. The only reason to do it is because the owner is Mr. Scrooge

I'm also ticked off that they did not ditch Okafor and drafted a dubious euro big man

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They didn't give pick away for nothing .

Jfc. They tried to trade for a future pick and apparently no one bit. They didn't see anyone worth stashing. And they couldn't see anywhere to package picks and move up. So what do you do ? Sell the pick and move on.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/878302967438336000

Paul George actually does have some financial incentive to R+E in a trade with Boston (or anyone, assuming he's happy with the immediate destination)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You draft a guy there and you cut him in October. So what's the point.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Also it's seems like a bad move with respect to agents and your rep as a front office to draft guys you obviously are going to cut and will likely be ignored by the coaches who are concentrating on integrating two number 1 pick rookies.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

It goes both ways, what's the downside of getting a look at a prospect?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

euphronius posted:

Because you drafted a guy and saw what he could (not) do. You tried to make the team better. There was an honest effort put in

Josh Harris: "Naaaaaaaaaah"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You sign rookie free agents to do that . And they did . So what are you bitching about ???

This is seriously the dumbest criticism I've ever seen . Even hinkie sold picks lol. Jfc.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/georgewrighster/status/876855098265042945

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

https://twitter.com/AlbertNahmad/status/878302967438336000

Paul George actually does have some financial incentive to R+E in a trade with Boston (or anyone, assuming he's happy with the immediate destination)

C'mon...! Let's get these dominoes to fall already!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

The point is on the off chance you were wrong and he doesn't suck, he's Malcolm Brogdon or Isaiah Thomas or Draymond Green, you sold him for money that doesn't matter from a team building perspective. But then again maybe your boss(es) just really wanted the money

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hm, I don't love the idea but it's also not that serious. Yeah everyone would love to find a Draymond in the 2nd round but as things are, we barely have enough minutes to go around for our 1st round picks.

Summer league can't come soon enough.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

Those two weren't at the presser today so he obv traded them and it will be done July 1.

Who cares tho. They had tons of second rounders and have many more next year. They obviously can't make them all.

No, they're traded, that's not what I was questioning. I was curious about the date of execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

The point is on the off chance you were wrong and he doesn't suck, he's Malcolm Brogdon or Isaiah Thomas or Draymond Green, you sold him for money that doesn't matter from a team building perspective. But then again maybe your boss(es) just really wanted the money

Sure if they had roster spots and opportunity for those guys to play. Of course. Everyone agrees with that lol. They don't have roster spots or opportunity tho. Everyone they drafted other than fultz is stashed.

• Locked thread