Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

For those leftists to whom "gently caress the poor" is a completely palatable POV. I tend to think of libertarianism as its own weird little political cloud, rotated into the WTF-plane.

No, he's talking like, what libertarianism meant in like the early 1800s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Solkanar512 posted:

Late, but I'm more inclined to boycott places like Chipotle because I used to work for the food safety lab/consulting company that helped them get back on their feet in the past year or so.

Say more?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
What closes first from fecal coliform contamination? The local swimming hole or Chipotle's? Because one of them isn't being regularly tested.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

cowofwar posted:

What closes first from fecal coliform contamination? The local swimming hole or Chipotle's? Because one of them isn't being regularly tested.

First one, than the other.

It's still disturbing no matter which order.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I wonder how the economy would respond when Uber collapses. Sure it might fill Silicon Valley with somewhat unemployable brogrammers, but beyond that?

boner confessor posted:

for tipping chat.

Just out of curiosity - how do you feel about places automatically adding 18% tip to expensive orders for small parties? I got fugu once, which was a 4 course ~$300 meal for two, and was kinda shocked by the expected tip. I paid it, but didn't feel like the service deserved it at all.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If you're paying 300 dollar a single meal for two people you're wealthy enough that no one is going to feel sympathy for you for financial reasons.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pokie posted:

Just out of curiosity - how do you feel about places automatically adding 18% tip to expensive orders for small parties? I got fugu once, which was a 4 course ~$300 meal for two, and was kinda shocked by the expected tip. I paid it, but didn't feel like the service deserved it at all.

im fine with it. for better or worse tipping is how servers get paid, and restaurants have something of an obligation to make sure their servers get paid else they'll walk and find someplace that will. if you can afford to drop that much on dinner you can afford the tip. honestly you should figure on paying an extra 20% or so before you even walk in the door, or when you're looking at what you want to order - that $20 steak is really $24, etc.

same thing i would gripe about when people wanted to bitch at me about how slow the service was (it's friday loving night, a 20 minute ticket time is a good thing fuckass) or how they only expect to tip 10% because i should get a better job - i just wanted to grab them and shake them and yell in their face "mcdonalds is down the street you cheap bastard if you need budget food fast"

ugh now i'm ranting. like people who walk in at 8pm on a saturday and tell me "make it quick, we have a movie to go to in 30 minutes" fuuuuuuck yoooouuuuuuuu

best manager i ever had handled a table who was griping because their food was taking too long to come out on loving mothers day the busiest day of the restaurant calendar. their ticket had been in for six minutes. manager told them it would be out asap and they were already saying they wanted the meal comped for their time. he said alright, walked back to the kitchen, canceled the order entirely, then came back and told them they wouldn't be paying a dime. they were happy until he said they wouldn't be getting their food either, told them to get out, and gave them the number for pizza delivery

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 23, 2017

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Yeah I meant more in the context of employee stock based compensation at a private company. You have to consider the expected value as close to $0.

Oh, heck, probably lower than that. If someone is planning on eventually selling they're going to want to exercise options early to start the capital gains clock and avoid AMT. But you're paying up front for stock with low liquidation preferences and, depending on the strike price and FMV, you could get hit with taxes on exercise anyway. You' re also probably getting less actual salary and benefits in exchange for your stock-based "compensation".

On the other hand, while I valued my private stock comp negative I am currently in the process of cashing some of it out at a nice ~70% ARP after taxes so :shrug:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

At the time it was a special treat I saved for, and the $60 mandated tip left me confused. Not expecting sympathy or anything.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pokie posted:

At the time it was a special treat I saved for, and the $60 mandated tip left me confused. Not expecting sympathy or anything.

oh for sure it can be annoying, especially if it's a bit out of the blue. but if it was on the menu it's kosher, and i side with making sure servers dont get stiffed

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

boner confessor posted:

oh for sure it can be annoying, especially if it's a bit out of the blue. but if it was on the menu it's kosher, and i side with making sure servers dont get stiffed

I don't recall these details, but when I asked they said they could remove it and tip them whatever, but I felt like that would be a dick move and just paid it. Thanks for your professional perspective.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
jesus christ you guys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchist_communism

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Yeah it's pretty dumb to actually expect things to function in a world of 8 billion people without a state/perhaps even multiple states, and the desire to end all states is ultimately an outdated legacy of the 1800s. What's your point though?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

For those leftists to whom "gently caress the poor" is a completely palatable POV. I tend to think of libertarianism as its own weird little political cloud, rotated into the WTF-plane.

Every Libertarian I have ever encountered is indistinguishable from the average Republican except they want pot to be legal.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

BarbarianElephant posted:

Every Libertarian I have ever encountered is indistinguishable from the average Republican except they want pot to be legal.

Holy poo poo you would have loved these forums in the aughts. Get archives and look for thevertex, lord kenneth, actionjackson, hell, if they exist, loving Dolex's posts from 2001 or so. Comedy calenth option.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

a foolish pianist posted:

Tipping on a discounted price is a dick move, man.

Tipping on a discount that you bring in yourself and the service isn't structured around like a coupon or whatever, sure. If they have two servers for the whole packed-out 30 table restaurant and there are massive waits on everything then it feels like you're buying a different product at that point, it's certainly a qualitatively different experience.

Weatherman posted:

brb going to post this in the schadenfreude thread

edit: or the "idiots on social media" thread :v:

You end up going to restaurants in college towns when you're a college student, by odd coincidence. Anyway, I learned my lesson. I was fine with the service, I just thought that the lower price was part of the bargain and apparently I misunderstood.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

namaste faggots posted:

Holy poo poo you would have loved these forums in the aughts. Get archives and look for thevertex, lord kenneth, actionjackson, hell, if they exist, loving Dolex's posts from 2001 or so. Comedy calenth option.

Whoa, blast from the past with these names. Also was it qualor who was so gross even libertarians hated him?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Have a family member who was a state epidemiologist. He left that job before the chipotle mess, but always warned me never to eat at a jack in the box or any other fast food place that did more than one thing.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

lol

Yeah I was an ancap but I was also in college which means I was an idiot with no idea how the real world worked

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

pokie posted:

I don't recall these details, but when I asked they said they could remove it and tip them whatever, but I felt like that would be a dick move and just paid it. Thanks for your professional perspective.

I've eaten at nice places and I've never seen a mandated tip for a small party. If the tip is mandated then you bake the tip into the menu price so it's invisible. Once a certain price threshold is crossed then, barring add-ons, making the diner add tip comes across as a bit lovely/trashy, like you're hoping the diner is drunk or foreign enough to grossly overtip.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Klyith posted:

Have a family member who was a state epidemiologist. He left that job before the chipotle mess, but always warned me never to eat at a jack in the box or any other fast food place that did more than one thing.

Like beef and chicken?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

pokie posted:

I wonder how the economy would respond when Uber collapses. Sure it might fill Silicon Valley with somewhat unemployable brogrammers, but beyond that?
Uber wouldn't 'collapse' overnight. If they can't get more money from investors, they would have to raise prices somewhat, which might well cause consumers to shift to other platforms, but that would happen over the course of months, minimum. By itself that probably wouldn't have a huge effect on the SF/SV techie labor market.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Klyith posted:

Never eat at a restaurant at all - they are all health hazards! :)

Plus, never eat from a supermarket- I always see unrefrigerated dairy and meat hanging round.

In short, never eat. It's the only way to be safe.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

pokie posted:

I feel like in your specific case you always tip everyone involved in the chain of fugu getting from the deadly blowfish to only somewhat poisonous meat on your plate.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

White Rock posted:

All though not for long, in Sweden more and more restaurants and business are opening up for allowing or encouraging tips.

loving ruins the experience every time, suddenly a nice evening becomes a cost calculation for "how much money do i have to spend to not look like a douche".

Just price your product at what it's worth, don't beg for money.

That is an inevitable consequence of Stockholm's high-end restaurants paying their employees in peanuts and alcohol discounts.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pentyne posted:

Like beef and chicken?

nah, like the way jack in the box does hamburgers and tacos and cold cuts. a variety of foods that have different safety procedure plus barely-trained minimum wage workers is a bad combo.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Klyith posted:

nah, like the way jack in the box does hamburgers and tacos and cold cuts. a variety of foods that have different safety procedure plus barely-trained minimum wage workers is a bad combo.

Let's be realistic here...

Speaking on which, whatever happened to that startup that was disrupting the restaurant industry encouraging illegal pop-up restaurants in people's homes?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Oneiros posted:

Speaking on which, whatever happened to that startup that was disrupting the restaurant industry encouraging illegal pop-up restaurants in people's homes?

There was more than one, no surprise. Maybe a marker of the tech industry is the tendency to duplicate already existing ideas?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Oneiros posted:

Not sure which one you're mentioning, but NYT had an article saying the whole fad is a flop.

There are way more people willing to host than people willing to go to stranger's homes for a meal.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Thundercracker posted:

Not sure which one you're mentioning, but NYT had an article saying the whole fad is a flop.

There are way more people willing to host than people willing to go to stranger's homes for a meal.

That's kind of sweet in a way, but those people's needs are probably met better by a dinner party meetup group or something.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Thundercracker posted:

But isn't that a good thing :unsmith:

Seriously you Americans are so cold hearted, can't even imagine sharing a dinner at a strangers house or paying to do it. In the rest of the world that's really common as are restaurants run out of homes.

gently caress even in the South it's not strange to find a restaurant run out of a home.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
shut up MIGF

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

outlier posted:

There was more than one, no surprise. Maybe a marker of the tech industry is the tendency to duplicate already existing ideas?

As opposed to those other industries where all the businesses are based entirely on new ideas

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

But isn't that a good thing :unsmith:

Seriously you Americans are so cold hearted, can't even imagine sharing a dinner at a strangers house or paying to do it. In the rest of the world that's really common as are restaurants run out of homes.

gently caress even in the South it's not strange to find a restaurant run out of a home.
I really don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to eat in a stranger's home and everything to do with food safety. Something that people willing to host can control, but not guests, hence more hosts than guests.

In my state, non-catered Church dinners almost got banned (and actually were for a year) after one of them was responsible for an E. Coli outbreak that killed someone, and that's pretty analogous to these pop-up restaurants.

If this kind of thing became common, it'd only be a matter of time before the worst 0.001% started to produce a body count.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Azathoth posted:

I really don't think it has anything to do with not wanting to eat in a stranger's home and everything to do with food safety. Something that people willing to host can control, but not guests, hence more hosts than guests.

In my state, non-catered Church dinners almost got banned (and actually were for a year) after one of them was responsible for an E. Coli outbreak that killed someone, and that's pretty analogous to these pop-up restaurants.

If this kind of thing became common, it'd only be a matter of time before the worst 0.001% started to produce a body count.

This. Food safety is a big deal, and meals you're serving to the public generally need to come from a commercial kitchen. Hosting a pot luck among friends (or where one person does the cooking and everyone else chips in to help cover the cost) is far different from having strangers over to eat, with unknown kitchen conditions, unknown allergies, etc.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Uber hiring law firm to probe handling of India rape case: report

quote:

O'Melveny & Myers is reportedly looking into whether bribery was involved in obtaining the documents, though Reuters has not found evidence to show that it was. The investigation is still in its early stages.

A source also told Reuters that the investigation is what prompted investors to demand Kalanick’s resignation earlier this week.

If you had "claiming a woman getting raped by one of your employees independent contractors is a false flag attack against your company" as your entry for the "what'll cause the Uber CEO to step down" pool; congratulations, you're a winner!

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

pokie posted:

This is an exaggeration. Almost every technical employee who has been at Uber for a short period of time will end up in new jobs pretty seamlessly (Uber has a reasonably high hiring bar). People who have been there for a long time and/or are managers will get a bit more scrutiny (with the level of scrutiny rising the higher up they are), but those are also people who generally have a lot of options and well-established networks to begin with.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Doggles posted:

Uber hiring law firm to probe handling of India rape case: report

If you had "claiming a woman getting raped by one of your employees independent contractors is a false flag attack against your company" as your entry for the "what'll cause the Uber CEO to step down" pool; congratulations, you're a winner!

DAMMIT! I had dead hooker...

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Is this the appropriate thread to talk about just how terrible of an idea Snapchats new SnapMap feature is??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Quandary posted:

Is this the appropriate thread to talk about just how terrible of an idea Snapchats new SnapMap feature is??

Yes, what is this terrible thing :allears: