Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
IMO the whole Russia hacking(not Russia Trump) thing is like to me as predictable actions and more of a condemnation of our government's competency than it is about a sacred process almost being violated.

The US Government has known for longer than I've been alive that Russia likes to mess with us. Birds sing, the sky is blue, Russia likes to get their fingers in our food.
They used to take precautionary measures, but neoconservatism and neoliberalism basically ignored poo poo as "everything is good" due to how markets were going. It's the corruption that allowed it to stagnate because america is already the best.

I believe in an alternate reality where we kept actually playing the cyber shadowgame that we used to in the past that the Russia thing wouldn't even have gotten so far with fake news and hacking because we'd be one step ahead of them.

But greed is more important apparently. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

ironstache status update: still not a milkshake duck

https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/877802253683392512

keep digging dammit!!!

we have to find the flaws first before we can win

gotta make sure that I can say IRONSTACHE unironically instead of ironically, can't take that chance

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

rich americans used fake news on themselves

this compromise is self-inflicted

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ThndrShk2k posted:

IMO the whole Russia hacking(not Russia Trump) thing is like to me as predictable actions and more of a condemnation of our government's competency than it is about a sacred process almost being violated.

The US Government has known for longer than I've been alive that Russia likes to mess with us. Birds sing, the sky is blue, Russia likes to get their fingers in our food.
They used to take precautionary measures, but neoconservatism and neoliberalism basically ignored poo poo as "everything is good" due to how markets were going. It's the corruption that allowed it to stagnate because america is already the best.

I believe in an alternate reality where we kept actually playing the cyber shadowgame that we used to in the past that the Russia thing wouldn't even have gotten so far with fake news and hacking because we'd be one step ahead of them.

But greed is more important apparently. :smith:
Also although there's media talk about a new Cold War, it isn't the Cold War and anti-Russianism doesn't have the same effect that anti-communism did in uniting the parties. Anti-communism as a Democratic and Republican position meant that Soviet meddling was contained more to the left, radicals, etc. There's still some holdover here with Russia massaging Jill Stein in addition to Trump's people. But there's no ideological consensus anymore.

The last time I can think of a senior U.S. official being compromised by Russia is maaaaybe Henry Wallace, FDR's vice president whom Truman had placed under surveillance when he served as his secretary of commerce. But that was during a fluid period when the Cold War hadn't really picked up in earnest yet.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

ironstache status update: still not a milkshake duck

https://twitter.com/joeprince___/status/877802253683392512

https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/840242514942672896

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/878297910407905280

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It is seriously astonishing how amazing Matt Y has become

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/878303312746995713

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ok I like David Yankovich now

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

its cause russia is a "free" country now aka free for western businesses to invest billions of dollars into for manufacturing and resource extraction and labor exploitation while totally not having their trade secrets stolen

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

every man has a little succ in him

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This won't matter, literally no one except Twitter lifers know who Louise Mensch is, much less know why liking Louise Mensch is, uhh, a gray mark against someone

Personally I'm glad that Bryce is actually concerned that the President is a Russian turncoat

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lololol

Dairy Days
Dec 26, 2007

nice try im still voting for randy bryce in the primary

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
twitter is a plague upon all our houses

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im still pro stache

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

SKULL.GIF posted:

This won't matter, literally no one except Twitter lifers know who Louise Mensch is, much less know why liking Louise Mensch is, uhh, a gray mark against someone

Personally I'm glad that Bryce is actually concerned that the President is a Russian turncoat
Who is Louise Mensch again?

And why would that mean the Yankovich goober candidate is better?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://twitter.com/IronStache/status/840261028827000832

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

anime was right posted:

im still pro stache

im still horny for randy

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ThndrShk2k posted:

Who is Louise Mensch again?

And why would that mean the Yankovich goober candidate is better?

Russian conspiracy theorist who's just making poo poo up and is possibly a deliberate distraction

Yankovich is not better than Iron Stache

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's also a great test to see whether centrists actually care about the russia thing or are just jealous that only the republicans get russian mob money

(the answer won't surprise anyone)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, if the worst they can dig up on The Living Avatar Of Bruce Springsteen's Music is that he said nice things to a Twitter "celebrity" that We Don't Like, then I'm cool with that.

Though I'm still voting for my cat, whose position on universal health care and universal neck skritches is PURRRRRRRRRRRRR.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
louise mensch is the conspiracy theorist right, didnt she admit to being a right wing plant lol

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

anime was right posted:

louise mensch is the conspiracy theorist right, didnt she admit to being a right wing plant lol

she's a tory

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
louise mensch is a warmongering grotesque who should be put down

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

ok I like David Yankovich now

:yikes:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
hahahahahahah

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Well, you've convinced me never to vote for Louise Mensch.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ya they're bonkers matty

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/873997106972958720

In the age known then as "The End of History", the land was ruled by a King and Queen.
The Queen was incredibly ambitious, and looked forward to the day she would rule alone.
"I will craft the most perfect plot, and my ascendancy will be an inevitability.
"And though my foes will see it coming, they will be powerless to stop it."

When the King passed, the Queen moved her court to a great island citadel.
There she marshaled her forces, though she ignored the troubles of her kingdom.
When all was ready, her great and splendid host marched from her stronghold,
Only to be wiped out in a cornfield by a half-drow Warlord.

The Warlord desired unity, and made the Queen his advisor.
Biting her tongue, the Queen convinced the Warlord that she should be restored to the throne.
In time, her forces were restored, with the singular goal of achieving this one goal.
It was this dedication that allowed her army to barely bring the quarrelsome people to heel.

"At last!" she exclaimed, breaking a pane of glass to commemorate her final triumph to come.
"It is my turn to rule, and all signs point to ultimate victory.
"The people will love and cherish my reign of reason and enlightenment."
Those were her last words as she was decapitated by a red hat.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SirPhoebos posted:

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/873997106972958720

In the age known then as "The End of History", the land was ruled by a King and Queen.
The Queen was incredibly ambitious, and looked forward to the day she would rule alone.
"I will craft the most perfect plot, and my ascendancy will be an inevitability.
"And though my foes will see it coming, they will be powerless to stop it."

When the King passed, the Queen moved her court to a great island citadel.
There she marshaled her forces, though she ignored the troubles of her kingdom.
When all was ready, her great and splendid host marched from her stronghold,
Only to be wiped out in a cornfield by a half-drow Warlord.

The Warlord desired unity, and made the Queen his advisor.
Biting her tongue, the Queen convinced the Warlord that she should be restored to the throne.
In time, her forces were restored, with the singular goal of achieving this one goal.
It was this dedication that allowed her army to barely bring the quarrelsome people to heel.

"At last!" she exclaimed, breaking a pane of glass to commemorate her final triumph to come.
"It is my turn to rule, and all signs point to ultimate victory.
"The people will love and cherish my reign of reason and enlightenment."
Those were her last words as she was decapitated by a red hat.

I will never drink that cuck nectar - Baloogan probably

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I will never drink that cuck nectar

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

http://i.imgur.com/5oSXAJa.gifv

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Baloogan posted:

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

docbeard posted:

Yeah, if the worst they can dig up on The Living Avatar Of Bruce Springsteen's Music is that he said nice things to a Twitter "celebrity" that We Don't Like, then I'm cool with that.

Though I'm still voting for my cat, whose position on universal health care and universal neck skritches is PURRRRRRRRRRRRR.
PURRRR-secute the rich

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Baloogan posted:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
maize is a devil food and is poisoning our minds

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Chemzes/status/878290554911563776