Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Say Heller and Paul are hard Nos. If it comes down to Cruz would he have the nerve to take a giant poo poo on the GOP establishment and tank the entire thing? Because based on his reputation I'm pretty sure he might.
I think Cruz is the least likely of the four to have the nerve. Lee or Johnson very well might. Johnson hasn't put out specific public demands like Cruz has, just a general statement that they should start over. Unless he's given demands to McConnell privately, that's not really the kind of thing you can accommodate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
So then Murkowski and Collins really need to be bludgeoned into submission via phone calls to their offices.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Real question is whether they vote no or hedge their bets by voting yes "with concerns"
We call the latter 'pulling a John McCain'

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Shifty Pony posted:

Insurance actuaries are probably all huddle together sobbing in a corner right now.

Nah. ACA exchanges represent a small portion of private insurance business. They will literally just withdraw from the marketplace. It's like Venezuela telling merchants to sell products below cost. Eventually they just stop selling.

ACA is a losing business for most insurers and barely a profit for others. It's worthwhile because it increases their overall member rolls and allows them to negotiate better deals. Also, it's a bitch dealing with state insurance commissioners and being in the exchange gives insurers a little leverage. But they'll only lose money for so long before they just ditch the system. Which is what most carriers were in the process of doing under Obamacare.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Who's that? Heller or Cruz?

Heller

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

"it's going to be very difficult to get me to a yes"

This had to be Heller, because for Cruz, all he needs is a bogle for his glotch.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

HappyHippo posted:

"it's going to be very difficult to get me to a yes"

So the usual $100,000 campaign donation from an anon slushfund SuperPAC is not enough?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Is Portman still undecided with Ohio being one of the worst states in this opioid crises?

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh yeah it's not about getting tithes, it is all about showing up the rest of the congregation that I am the most blessed because I can drop $2000 on Mrs. Jones's chemo. So long as you've got your tiers set up right so I can flaunt that is.

The Prosperity Gospel is incredibly unsettling. Some megachurches may fall into this category, some may not. Basically the two hues of conservative ideology that I think would conflict the most (ostentatious piety and reverence for great wealth) find a happy home together, no questions asked. Many other churches follow the exact same tenets but simply don't have the chutzpah to plainly say "If we are rich, it is simply because we are so holy."

WashingtonPost op-ed on prosperity Gospel - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/opinions/outlook/worst-ideas/prosperity-gospel.html

e: Most televangelists are PG turds, a few have brick-and-mortar churches.

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 23, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Is Portman still undecided with Ohio being one of the worst states in this opioid crises?

He's one of the 12 guys in the room. He's a yes when they make a show of adding opoid stuff to it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/878330133823672321

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Trumps approval on the rebound, I hope Covok scooped out his pants since Tuesday and has room for a fresh load.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

BRISTOL PALINS BABY posted:

Trumps approval on the rebound, I hope Covok scooped out his pants since Tuesday and has room for a fresh load.

It is? 538 still has it around 38 percent...

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Yeah they set this up to give guys like Portman an amendment "win" that they can take home for opoid abuse.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah they set this up to give guys like Portman an amendment "win" that they can take home for opoid abuse.

Of course it only funds it for a year, after which the opiod crisis will have been eliminated.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Spiritus Nox posted:

All it takes is 1 outlying poll to make people lose their poo poo.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Clear your cache, breh

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trump is on the rebound because any poll that has Trump above the average of polls shows he is rebounding. Please ignore how this continues to be true no matter how low the average gets.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Elotana posted:

I think Cruz is the least likely of the four to have the nerve. Lee or Johnson very well might. Johnson hasn't put out specific public demands like Cruz has, just a general statement that they should start over. Unless he's given demands to McConnell privately, that's not really the kind of thing you can accommodate.

What are you talking about? Cruz's whole ascent into the Senate happened because he dicked over the party and beat the former Lt. Governor in Texas for that position. Remember that time he did all that grand standing and oops let the Dems fill some vacancies? Cruz made his demands public to put pressure on Republicans to cave.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Clear your cache, breh

.1? Who gives a poo poo? Stop covoking, you baby!

Shifty Pony posted:

Insurance actuaries are probably all huddle together sobbing in a corner right now.

loving lol. Dude, this bill was made to make insurers rich. I think they're doing fine. Probably rejoicing that they can charge 10x for less protection now.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
At what point do I just say gently caress it and cash in on wingnut welfare? I can write a dogwhistle screed or sell holy water.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Covok posted:

.1? Who gives a poo poo? Stop covoking, you baby!

loving lol. Dude, this bill was made to make insurers rich. I think they're doing fine. Probably rejoicing that they can charge 10x for less protection now.

Only if they get approval for a waiver for the rates change! Checks and balances! note approval does not require legislative approval, only the governor.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Clear your cache, breh

Im the half-limp upward trend.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KickerOfMice posted:

The Prosperity Gospel is incredibly unsettling. Some megachurches may fall into this category, some may not. Basically the two hues of conservative ideology that I think would conflict the most (ostentatious piety and reverence for great wealth) find a happy home together, no questions asked. Many other churches follow the exact same tenets but simply don't have the chutzpah to plainly say "If we are rich, it is simply because we are so holy."

WashingtonPost op-ed on prosperity Gospel - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/opinions/outlook/worst-ideas/prosperity-gospel.html

e: Most televangelists are PG turds, a few have brick-and-mortar churches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Elotana posted:

I would say it's the opposite, Cruz's specific demands are somehow even more insane than the bill and basically impossible to satisfy, while vague demands give cover to say later that whatever token gesture they handed out was sufficient.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Petr posted:

At what point do I just say gently caress it and cash in on wingnut welfare?

Invest in gofundme.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I am a bit surprised that there hasn't been an attempt to make medical bills non dischargeable through bankruptcy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cruz won't be pleased unless the bill is written in the blood of destitute leukemia children.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Torpor posted:

I am a bit surprised that there hasn't been an attempt to make medical bills non dischargeable through bankruptcy.

Guess what Rand Paul's pet bill he keeps trying to get passed does.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Torpor posted:

I have bad news for you my friend.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

The subject matter will probably make me furious but John Oliver is aces :yum:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Torpor posted:

One step at a time. First we've gotta make sure that more people get sick because they can't afford preventative healthcare, then we make medical debt non-dischargable through bankruptcy, like student loans. Then once they absolutely have to seek medical care because they passed out in agony working their second job and were taken unconscious to a hospital without their knowledge or consent, that's when we bring back debtor's prisons.

Invest in prison futures now people! The sky's the limit!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Huge_Midget posted:

One step at a time. First we've gotta make sure that more people get sick because they can't afford preventative healthcare, then we make medical debt non-dischargable through bankruptcy, like student loans. Then once they absolutely have to seek medical care because they passed out in agony working their second job and were taken unconscious to a hospital without their knowledge or consent, that's when we bring back debtor's prisons.

Gotta get this economy moving again!!1!

Seriously, does anyone know what people mean when they say this? It has looked like things have been going amazingly well for a while now. Can anyone decrypt this for me?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Huge_Midget posted:

Don't forget the ever-rising costs of hospital visits and medication due to a lack of oversights or regulation, so that when you get tetanus from the horrible working conditions of your second job the antibiotics will cost fifteen years' salary.

Huzanko posted:

Gotta get this economy moving again!!1!

Seriously, does anyone know what people mean when they say this? It has looked like things have been going amazingly well for a while now. Can anyone decrypt this for me?

I mean vital medication has been spiking like crazy and no one can afford to go to the doctor without healthcare so...

Epipens alone have spiked in cost by six hundred percent in ten years. Hope your kid doesn't have a bee allergy if you can't afford a 600 dollar injector.

Minimum wage is 15k per year. Even simply injuries can cost 5-10k without insurance.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 23, 2017

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Don't forget the ever-rising costs of hospital visits and medication due to a lack of oversights or regulation, so that when you get tetanus from the horrible working conditions of your second job the antibiotics will cost fifteen years' salary.

Heh but that's how much it is worth to you; so clearly a fair price.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Torpor posted:

Medical liens can already gently caress you up pretty bad.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Eh lets just have debtors prisons for those who get better and can't afford their medical bills.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I did it. I found what might be the most depressing video on the internet https://www.facebook.com/guyhumorofficial/videos/300325783745839/

There is no angle to it that doesn't crush my soul.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mean vital medication has been spiking like crazy and no one can afford to go to the doctor without healthcare so...

Epipens alone have spiked in cost by six hundred percent in ten years. Hope your kid doesn't have a bee allergy if you can't afford a 600 dollar injector.

There's finally a generic EpiPen out now (made by the same loving company) for slightly less!

Asthma inhalers and diabetic supplies/insulin are probably the worst commonly used medications with regard to price gouging over time. Drug prices are a perfectly obscured transaction between your insurance, PBM and the drug manufacturer. Who is profiting how much is entirely unknown, but it's always the patient who gets screwed in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Minimum wage is 15k per year. Even simply injuries can cost 5-10k without insurance.

Albuterol, one of the oldest asthma medicines, typically costs $50 to $100 per inhaler in the United States
UK price, £8.50 ($10.82).

You guys need loving regulations like a motherfucker.

• Locked thread