Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

The selling of that pick actually makes me angrier than the poo poo sandwich they got from Minnesota for Butler.

Getting mad at the 76ers for selling their pick is dumb. They have tons of rookies and are probably having a tough time figuring out how to work with what they got. If they don't like who was there and they couldn't move the pick (apparently they tried), selling it makes sense for a team that isn't on the top of the list of profitability. I have zero problems with this.

Bulls need young talent, if they are committing to a rebuild they probably even need guys they can slot in as they divest of the veteran assets they still have. They only have 1 rookie next year + Dunn in his 2nd year so they should be able to manage development of someone else. That was a bad move.

I didn't mind them selling picks in the 50s when they had a roster that had basically no open slots. It's a bad move now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

I hope this becomes the new 20 pounds of muscle in the offseason.

https://twitter.com/EarlKSneed/status/878342645252321280

If this is how ACL surgery goes now LaVine is going to be floating around 8 feet off the ground like the guys from Shaolin Soccer and the Bulls definitely won that trade.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
https://twitter.com/chicagobullsbot/status/878344883534155776

"Look we wanna build the right way" yeah but what about all the stuff that shows you obviously don't "Uhh gotta go"

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Dejan Bimble posted:

People are murmuring that Millsap isn't coming back to Atlanta. I wonder where he's going, if that's the case.

I hope Hawks fans are ready for the Dennis Schröder era.*

*There are no Hawks fans.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sixers had the best defense in the league for the 730 minutes Embiid played last year

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

https://3dthis.com/player.htm?h=LTMyMjkyNDc

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Could a Wolves fan give me a Wiggins update? I was following the NBA closer around the time he was drafted and he was getting heralded as the second coming even during the previous draft

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Jack's Flow posted:

I hope Hawks fans are ready for the Dennis Schröder era.*

*There are no Hawks fans.

HOTLANTA MAN is the only one, but he's more of a fan of Tinder Night at Phillips Arena.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The thunder were bad for like 3 years before they were an 8 seed. Even if philly's players end up as good as Durant and Westbrook I don't really see how 20 year olds make the playoffs. It's not like Philly roster outside of the rookies is that good. It's basically Dario and Covington who are okay but every team in the league has players like that.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

xbilkis posted:

"Look we wanna build the right way" yeah but what about all the stuff that shows you obviously don't "Uhh gotta go"

"That was a decision that was made" is amazing. It has so many levels to it. That's my new catchphrase. Give me a CBS sitcom

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

So It Goes posted:

The thunder were bad for like 3 years before they were an 8 seed. Even if philly's players end up as good as Durant and Westbrook I don't really see how 20 year olds make the playoffs. It's not like Philly roster outside of the rookies is that good. It's basically Dario and Covington who are okay but every team in the league has players like that.

They also had a bottom-5 coach

Edit: they also won 50 games the rookie year of Harden/Ibaka

Edit edit: that's not to say I think Philly will be good immediately. I'd estimate they'll win 35-40

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 23, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

kingcobweb posted:

Now you've done it

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

scotty is actually quite good

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Could a Wolves fan give me a Wiggins update? I was following the NBA closer around the time he was drafted and he was getting heralded as the second coming even during the previous draft

Projections cooled on him in college even though he was still a decent first overall pick. His defense has been disappointing, he definitely has the tools to play good D, but is having trouble keeping it going.

Offensively he's been good. He carries a huge scoring load (which should be cut down a lot but Butler) and has shown real skill scoring in the post and out of isolation. In particular he has a nasty pull-up jumper that is sorta kobe-esque. His outside shooting has been up and down but last year was much better. He started the year scorching hot, got really cold, then settled in as a ~36% shooter hitting 1-2 a game which is where I think he really is.

He's a decent handler of the ball and can get to the rim and is best when he is playing SG as opposed to SF. But he has 0 anticipation for other players (and thus gets hardly any assists) and is really timid going after rebounds. For a guy with his height, athleticism, and explosiveness I would expect him to get much more than 3-4 boards a game.

He eats minutes and never gets tired (THIBS) and he is a world-class in-game dunker, one of the best in the league. He's a gym rat and appears to really like Minnesota.

Basically, he's been a very good offensive player for a guy his age, though on the efficiency vs volume slider he has been more on the volume side (this has been largely due to the makeup of the team). Defensively he has been disappointing but he has time to turn it around. As a teammate he seems great.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

Yeah,that's the one. I was really nervous going through it because sometimes they get really pushy about what you're doing and I was really nervous they weren't going to like "listening to podcasts" at 2:00 AM.

The only person the Lakers kept from the last front office was Ryan West and other than Lonzo those were all very much the style of picks he made (which isn't surprising, I doubt Johnson had the time to dive into game footage of Kyle Kuzma, I mean I didn't and I barely have anything to do at all in life).

The Blazers draft was the hardest for me to understand.

I guess there really isn't a reason to shut him down in February this year when the Lakers are already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Yeah, I only knew about Kuzma because he's from near my hometown, near Flint, and was covered in the regional newspapers, and has the same last name as one of the worst teachers I ever had, there's a small Hungarian population there and so he's probably her 4th cousin. In that case he'll be very mean and potentially get very fat. And of course Hart has been at UM for 6 or 7 years

The Blazers picks play like this in my mind: Allen says, "we need to get better." Olshey and the rest of the front office obviously see defense as their biggest weakness, and frontcourt as their thinnest spots. So they draft a solid defensive big who May be able To Shoot Threes and Score. Then they say, "hey, everyone knows what Caleb Swanigan can't do, and what he isn't, what about what he can do and what he is, and took him to hopefully be a small version of Nurkic for the bench, not athletic, not a defender, but passing and scoring well.

They didn't want to wait for Giles or Anuboby or any other guy in their initial range, and maybe they watched a lot of Collins, since he played in Washington, and believed the small sample success was real.

Now I'm questioning why I wrote that all out, because it's obvious. But yes, they want to win a playoff series this year, not by fluke injury luck, they want to shore up what they have, not gamble on potential.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/NoahCoslov/status/878224703080472576

That's a good way to get me to watch some Sixers games, TBH.

Also this Fultz stuff has revealed to me that Boston has no Chikfila, what the gently caress?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/NoahCoslov/status/878224703080472576

That's a good way to get me to watch some Sixers games, TBH.

Also this Fultz stuff has revealed to me that Boston has no Chikfila, what the gently caress?

Boston hates black people, not gay people

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Projections cooled on him in college even though he was still a decent first overall pick. His defense has been disappointing, he definitely has the tools to play good D, but is having trouble keeping it going.

Offensively he's been good. He carries a huge scoring load (which should be cut down a lot but Butler) and has shown real skill scoring in the post and out of isolation. In particular he has a nasty pull-up jumper that is sorta kobe-esque. His outside shooting has been up and down but last year was much better. He started the year scorching hot, got really cold, then settled in as a ~36% shooter hitting 1-2 a game which is where I think he really is.

He's a decent handler of the ball and can get to the rim and is best when he is playing SG as opposed to SF. But he has 0 anticipation for other players (and thus gets hardly any assists) and is really timid going after rebounds. For a guy with his height, athleticism, and explosiveness I would expect him to get much more than 3-4 boards a game.

He eats minutes and never gets tired (THIBS) and he is a world-class in-game dunker, one of the best in the league. He's a gym rat and appears to really like Minnesota.

Basically, he's been a very good offensive player for a guy his age, though on the efficiency vs volume slider he has been more on the volume side (this has been largely due to the makeup of the team). Defensively he has been disappointing but he has time to turn it around. As a teammate he seems great.

I think Butler will help everyone out defensively. He is not afraid to call players out for loving up on defense.

Wolves issue is going to be a lack of shooting. Wiggins and Butler could be great defensively but it's a weird fit offensively. If they move Rubio, I'd love to see them make a play for George Hill. Also Niko Mirotic would be an interesting if they're willing to throw out a nice offer. Stretch 4 who played his best under Thibs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I expect the wolves to incorporate a lot of wing high post offense with cutting as both butler and wiggins are good playing from the post.

Towns being a legit stretch 5 helps some, the hope is that thibs just goes small with filler like brandon rush at 2 and butler to 4 to open things up.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I'm just so glad that people nationally can now see how loving terrible this front office really is now that they have completely botched a move that reaches national level.

Like the National media and fans were ok with the Thibs clusterfuck because they didn't see the leadup and how everything was set up for him to be sabatoged and undercut with his players by the front office.

xbilkis posted:

Like for fucks sake, Gar Foreman handled this answer better than that. At least the roster flexibility bullshit makes sense on the surface before you put the shovel in and start digging.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
The Wolves have around $20m in cap space if they waive Jordan Hill. JJ Reddick would be really nice fit for them I think.

Rubio/Reddick/Wiggins/Butler/KAT small ball lineup with loads of cutting and backdoor action.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

tanglewood1420 posted:

The Wolves have around $20m in cap space if they waive Jordan Hill. JJ Reddick would be really nice fit for them I think.

Rubio/Reddick/Wiggins/Butler/KAT small ball lineup with loads of cutting and backdoor action.

Jimmy can also play PG for stretches.

I seriously think they should make a play at Mirotic this offseason. Jimmy and him were really good when they played together (believe +4.5 per 100) although Fred never realized this. He's only 26 and can provide some spacing. Underrated defender and defensive rebounder too. 4 years, $42-$52 million?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Niwrad posted:

Jimmy can also play PG for stretches.

I seriously think they should make a play at Mirotic this offseason. Jimmy and him were really good when they played together (believe +4.5 per 100) although Fred never realized this. He's only 26 and can provide some spacing. Underrated defender and defensive rebounder too. 4 years, $42-$52 million?

Bulls probably (unfortunately) match that number.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

PantsFreeZone posted:

somebody tell me about BAM in two paragraphs or less please

Starting Power Forward for the future World Champion Miami Heat.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
LaVine and Wiggins are both natural scoring SGs, starting them together forced Wiggins into more of a SF role
now Wiggins can be more of a 2 and Butler will be a two-way 3. they both shoot better than 35% from the perimeter so there's no dire need for improved spacing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

I expect they'll probably take a couple 2 year deals on veterans, as they have a wall of rookie contracts that are ending and I don't think the Wolves can afford to have too many high priced deals without some long playoff revenue.

Honestly, I think bolstering the bench with some real talent would move the needle more anyway. Last year their starters compared with starting lineups of playoff teams. Their bench was one of the worst in the league. Right now their bench is a pretty decent backup in Tyus Jones, a real feast of famine oddball in Shabazz, and then a terrible Aldrich, a worse Rush, and a poor man's Mirotic in Bjelica. It could use 2 guys who can each take on 20 minutes a night of BPM 0.0 play.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

My secret pick that the Wolves should get? CJ Miles. Stretches the floor, is not a negative on defense, can play the PF in small-ball line-ups.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

The Suns so far have made pretty decent moves.

Now do something weird and stupid.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

Bulls probably (unfortunately) match that number.

I don't know. That's a number where you'd be committing to him being a starter. They just drafted a PF 7th and still have Bobby Portis who they probably won't admit failure on for another season. Fred didn't even have him in the rotation for a chunk of the season.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Niwrad posted:

I don't know. That's a number where you'd be committing to him being a starter. They just drafted a PF 7th and still have Bobby Portis who they probably won't admit failure on for another season.

They have said they want Niko back like every single time they've been given an opportunity,.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I don't know. That's a number where you'd be committing to him being a starter. They just drafted a PF 7th and still have Bobby Portis who they probably won't admit failure on for another season. Fred didn't even have him in the rotation for a chunk of the season.

Starters' expected value is 13 million annual. 52 million/4 years is the floor, not the ceiling.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Niwrad posted:

Send him to Dallas, so I can stop being mad at them.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/serenawinters/status/878366042019381249

https://twitter.com/serenawinters/status/878366473567129600

On the one hand Magic is basically a well-paid hype man but on the other hand it feels like this is going to be hilarious if it doesn't turn out well

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Niwrad posted:

Tae blowing a gasket every time Bobby Portis got minutes over Felicio was one of my favorite things of the last season

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Get out your checkbooks, Lavoy Allen is on the market!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fox is changing things for the Kings
https://twitter.com/swipathefox/status/878361388506267648

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

They have said they want Niko back like every single time they've been given an opportunity,.

They said that about Asik too. Every team says they'll match in hopes it'll convince teams not to make an offer.

I could be wrong but do you really think they're going to commit to Niko as their PF for the next 3-4 years if someone makes a big offer? It would mean officially giving up on Portis (which I'm fine with but they hate to admit failure). Niko was behind Joffrey Lauvergne in the rotation at a point last season. They don't seem to really value him much.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/878366797036003328

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

So did Paul according to ESPN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/serenawinters/status/878366042019381249

https://twitter.com/serenawinters/status/878366473567129600

On the one hand Magic is basically a well-paid hype man but on the other hand it feels like this is going to be hilarious if it doesn't turn out well
I mean it just sounds like the kind of thing you should say about any highly drafted guy.

• Locked thread