Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
just spent like 10 minutes looking at my radiohead albums to decide which is the objectively best one and realised thats dumb as hell and they're all good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I want my tick tick tick tick now, drat it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ive listened to a fair bit of radiohead in my dya and didn't really like any of it

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
i like how nobody has suggested hail to the thief or moon shaped pool as the best

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah. Pandora exposed me to a lot more cool poo poo I ended up loving and then it started to cost money and lol

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

fits my needs posted:

why don't ppl just listen to music instead of reading about others opinions on listened music to decide what is their best culture fit?

:yeah:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i have the worst rankings

kid a/amnesiac
httt
amsp
okay compute
in rainbows
the bends
pablo honey
tkol

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

TMMadman posted:

Everyone knows music attained perfection with 80s hair metal bands. :colbert:

This, only new wave hair.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Origami Dali posted:

i like how nobody has suggested hail to the thief or moon shaped pool as the best

don't forget king of limbs which is an album that came out

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

kemikalkadet posted:

just spent like 10 minutes looking at my radiohead albums to decide which is the objectively best one and realised thats dumb as hell and they're all good

i see you don't own pablo honey

they aren't all good

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I mean I literally cannot imagine life before The Birthday Massacre and I have no idea how I even ended up there, pretty sure it was through Emilie Autumn whom I also have no idea how I found

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Nichael posted:

:same:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Origami Dali posted:

for a while httt was my fav

amsp is real fuckin close too in a lotta ways

the top 4 are basically interchangeable for me

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
this is the only Radiohead song you ever need

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zQzMB8x59jo

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

ive listened to a fair bit of radiohead in my dya and didn't really like any of it

i like some songs but i'm not going to spend any time listening to nothing but radio head

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
The best/most prescient piece of ~Music Journalism~ was Carles' take on the Kanye/Swift interruption in '09 (original doesn't exist b/c of carles subsequent meltdown but someone online preserved a piece of it):

quote:

Last Sunday night, I was browsing the internet, and all of a sudden, everything came to a halt. It was as if one moment “made the world stop.” This single moment demanded the instantaneous attention of the every human being in the Westernized world. After experiencing this moment, every human “came up with an opinion” on the event, and felt obliged to share this opinion with the world [via life stream/social network/ real life interaction]. It was truly one of the greatest live moments in the history of the world because 2009 has given us the proper tools to instantaneously reflect on a moment in a group setting. It was as if “social media” finally had a reason for existing (besides helping 2 elect the black President).

As a society, we must come together and root for Kanye West to continue to create content & headlines.
While he is genuinely pursuing greatness, his narcissistic qualities will surely lead to his premature death. This is more than about needing “good guys” and “bad guys” to create conflict and news. We need a stream of content that we can continually reflect upon. This is why we miss Michael Jackson so much, we had the opportunity to have fun watching him fall apart together. It was legitimately a bullying process that rallied all humans together. It didn’t matter how smart or how dumb u were, there was something inherently funny about making fun of Michael Jackson’s racial, sexual, and social identity. A type of humor that transcended educational levels and class divisions.

Taylor Swift represents everything that is wrong with show business and the arts. We must respect Kanye West and his neverending quest to express his true self to the real world…

We must accept Kanye West as the true heir to the King of Pop — not because of his talent or his artistic interpretation of the world, but because of his ability to create content. He can rapidly produce albums as well as public incidents that are indicative of a deeply troubled human being. He transcends “right and wrong” because he truly “acts from the heart/soul” in a world where most people are too smart/deliberate/PR-managed to act upon their emotions.

A lot of people say that twitter is a “useless and boring display of humanity.” These people don’t understand the true value of twitter — twitter is an instant window into the lives of people. A chance to track the distractions that are filling up people’s lives, momentarily taking over their brains. An impact significant enough to process a lil thought/meme about it. Whether it is a human, a product, a political scandal, a television show, a movie, or a celeb death, the twitter portal into a generalized human psyche is priceless.

We must embrace the power of this tool. We must embrace all tools that allow us to reflect/share/digitally mourn.

We are growing up, learning how to use social networks to experience life together. We are learning how to mourn, celebrate, and crucify miscellaneous celebrities. We are learning that death memes are the memes that unite us. The internet/internet meme is a coping mechanism/opportunity.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Has any sober person listened to Radiohead and liked it?

They're like Phish.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

no surprises ftw

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Gringostar posted:

also, it's like she's daring republicans to pass this poo poo so it kills off a ton of them....

:q:

HC is the mom of deathcrew

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

ikr

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

mister magpie posted:

i see you don't own pablo honey

they aren't all good

i was only referring to the good albums in my original post

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
wtf is this Twitter is filled with all kinds of garbage people and bots, mostly

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bert Roberge posted:

They're like Phish.

No Surprises (?) has been stuck in my head for a year or two now which is probably not a good thing now that I think about it

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
glow fuckin rules

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chokes McGee posted:

No Surprises (?) has been stuck in my head for a year or two now which is probably not a good thing now that I think about it

haha you'd better not listen to the live stream then

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Thatim posted:

Hillary tweeted.

Now half the thread will poo poo itself again. Pretty sure the only thing that can kill this thread is Hillary.

And the FBI

BREAKING NEWS

hillary tweet

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Please tell me it's lucha underground but with tits

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

triple sulk posted:

s t r e e t

s p i r i t

fade away

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Can we make posting Hillary/Chelsea tweets a perma-bannable offense?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BeOSPOS posted:

haha you'd better not listen to the live stream then

:ohdear:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

syscall girl posted:

there is this guy on the forums (actually off it now but he was kind of a big deal about sharing personal details and being generally sympathetic and interesting) who lived in AR

so anyways he lived in or about little rock back in the day and has this theory :420: that an international airport there had a custom upholstery shop specifically because big billy was moving massive amounts of cocaine in in small private jets

this would have been during the carter/reagan era and built him some substantial points in the political arena

i think he ended up spending a lot of the points also on private jets but that's a different tail

e: i just like repeating stories like this because they sound mildly plausible nothing of truth here

theres nothing at XNA but cancelled flights and ads for the lovely walmart business school/diploma mill

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Bert Roberge posted:

They're like Phish.

you've never lived until you've played a truth-or-dare card game where one of the dares is "Make-out with the person to your left for the duration of an entire Radiohead song" and then you put on Paranoid Android and go to town

but since you're obviously elderly i guess your equivalent would be "mutual jerk-off sesh to the tune of the first half of Trout Mask Replica"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Anyone can play Qatar

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

only band i'm incapable of getting bored of ever is Clutch.

well Primus too i guess.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

Part of it seems to be he's been ordered to gut the state dept. but is like, reviewing positions & taking his time & poo poo

i wonder what it's like being so incompetent that you're hired to destroy a department but accidentally do your job instead

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
oh poo poo, "goodby, theresa. be sure to shut the door on the way out."

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

There were at least 30,000 gangs and 800,000 gang members active across the USA in 2007.[1][2] About 900,000 gang members lived "within local communities across the country," and about 147,000 were in U.S. prisons or jails in 2009.[3] By 1999, Hispanics accounted for 47% of all gang members, Blacks 31%, Whites 13%, and Asians 6%.[4]

The Latin Kings have organized chapters in over 41 US states, most notably Illinois, and several Latin American and European countries, including: Mexico, Spain, Dominican Republic, Canada, Italy, Ecuador, Peru, Puerto Rico, Portugal, Brazil, United Kingdom and others.[5][6]

Chicago

The Chicago Crime Commission publication "The Gang Book 2012" gave the statistic that Chicago has more gang members than any other city in the United States: 150,000.[7] The city had 532 murders in 2012, however, it saw a decrease to 413 murders in 2013. Not all murders are gang-related, but the Chicago Police Department states that 80% of all shootings and murders in the city are gang-related, which means that most violence in the city is gang upon gang violence.

Los Angeles

Los Angeles has held the nickname "gang capital of America" since 1930 because approximately 120,000 gang members reside in the city, and tens of thousands more in surrounding Los Angeles County.[8]

Regular Nintendo posted:

what the gently caress is a "local community"
kind of an awkward phrase but just living in towns and cities like everybody else

latte liberals training with guns is funny but truth be told, the full weight of U.S. law enforcement is unable to extinguish the massive gang presence in american life, and being more aggressive tends to make the problem worse mainly by fragmenting the leadership. that's what screwed mexico up really bad starting in the mid-2000s. i think a "second american civil war" won't look like spain 2.0, it will look kinda like a latin american conflict.

i also think gang dynamics have shifted a bit, particularly with black gangs in certain cities, in that the gangs have stopped providing a form of social protection / services (there would be marxist-inspired street & prison gangs like the black guerrilla family) based on a monopoly of the drug trade. now it's been shifting toward fragmented clans that rely on credibility through violence, amplified through social media.

it's the gang version of white declassed urbanites with limited career prospects turning toward a social media audience as a compensatory form of social/cultural capital.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

deathbysnusnu posted:

Can we make posting Hillary/Chelsea tweets a perma-bannable offense?

:agreed:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

you've never lived until you've played a truth-or-dare card game where one of the dares is "Make-out with the person to your left for the duration of an entire Radiohead song" and then you put on Paranoid Android and go to town

but since you're obviously elderly i guess your equivalent would be "mutual jerk-off sesh to the tune of the first half of Trout Mask Replica"

In my heyday Sarah McLachlan was the Deal closer for arty chicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

s k e e t

s p i r i t

• Locked thread