Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I despise the idea of accelerationism as a deliberate strategy. However, if the bad guys are winning no matter what I do, I might as well try to comfort myself with the idea the end result might work out.

Accelerationism is basically political assassination for people too chickenshit to pick up a rifle and do the deed themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

He hasn't gotten rid of anything? He's pushed back a bunch of rulings but that's it

Actually Trump has deregulated a shitload of things, including killing a landmark clean water act that was years in the making, rolling back the financial regulation that led to the 2008 crisis, and just in general absolutely gutting the EPA.

quote:

The Trump administration has promised to “cancel” or roll back environmental and energy regulations in an “aggressive way.” But its approach defies rationality and threatens public wellbeing.

When federal agencies issue new rules to protect the air or water, the regulated industry typically demands a thorough consideration of a regulation’s industry cost to implement. But now that the Trump administration is in the business of deregulating, agencies are ignoring the costs of deregulation, which will be borne by society at large.

For example, the Environmental Protection Agency recently suspended the deadlines of a common-sense rule requiring oil and natural gas producers to limit leaks of methane, a potent greenhouse gas and the primary component of natural gas itself. Before issuing the original rule, EPA released a detailed analysis of the compliance costs and benefits and determined that the rule would yield net benefits of approximately $170 million per year by 2025, as well as substantial unquantified benefits. Specifically, the rule would boost public revenue by increasing the capture of valuable natural gas, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions and hazardous air pollutants, among other benefits.

In another example, EPA suspended a rule that was designed to help prevent chemical accidents at manufacturing plants. The rule would have helped save lives, prevent environmental damage, and reduce injuries, evacuations and property damage at and near the site of a chemical accident. EPA claimed that it did not need to assess the impact of lost benefits because some of the compliance deadlines were still in the future. But EPA’s longstanding guidance does not allow it to omit benefits from its analysis simply because they are going to be realized in the future.

In a separate action, EPA delayed regulation of power plant wastewater discharges, suspending benefits valued up to $565 million, without any analysis and without the required opportunity for public comment.

EPA is not alone in the rush to deregulate without justification. The Bureau of Land and Management recently suspended a different rule aimed at limiting methane leaks, which would have yielded net benefits of $50 to $204 million per year. Given that the rule was justified on the basis of significant societal benefits, the bureau should have calculated how delaying the rule would affect those benefits and explained how such a delay could be justified, if ever. Instead, the bureau did not even mention these forgone benefits when suspending the rule.

Idk where the "Trump hasn't done anything" narrative comes from. He's caused a lot of damage and more or less erased 8 years of Obama in no time.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I think democrat takeover is likely even if AHCA never happened. If not in 2018, in 2020.

Trump is at least twice as bad as Bush, so I imagine GOP fatigue will kick in that much earlier and we can have 2008 repeated, except with the hindsight to know what not to do (no dealmaking with republicans).

The president's party always loses ground, and Trump is especially useless. The Demographic trends indicated that if we had exactly the same turnout patterns and exactly the same voting behavior, he'd lose 2020 as narrowly as he won 2016. He needs to add to his coalition and I don't see any evidence of that happening. In fact, it appears the reverse is happening, if anything.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

the black husserl posted:

Idk where the "Trump hasn't done anything" narrative comes from. He's caused a lot of damage and more or less erased 8 years of Obama in no time.

Demonstrably false.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

Demonstrably false.

Why do you think Obama is spending so much time "on an Island?" It's because Trump has literally erased him from existence. :colbert:

But for real Trump actually has killed off the overwhelming majority of the Obama legacy, from finance to waters of the US to healthcare....can you think of anything that's yet to go? I guess Lily Ledbetter and Iran deal are still there, for now.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Actually Trump has deregulated a shitload of things, including killing a landmark clean water act that was years in the making, rolling back the financial regulation that led to the 2008 crisis, and just in general absolutely gutting the EPA.

Promised
Suspended
Suspended
Delayed
Suspended
Delayed

So essentially the Obama administration had a bunch of things scheduled, but the implementation has been suspended so he hasn't rolled back *poo poo* yet.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/878364461656023040
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/878362942693142528
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/878362787784699904

Back when I figured Trump was never going to win, I still thought this whole Trump thing was going to split the Republicans. I wonder if the not-crazy republicans are finally going revolt against Trump..... End of the 2-party system, at least for awhile?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I just don't think automated trucking is going to happen at all. People can hack cars now to totally shut them down etc..

Is this a fake post or do you really believe this

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rolling back the financial regulation that led to the 2008 crisis

that bill is filibusterable and widely expected to go precisely nowhere in the senate, because they were more focused on repealing obama's legacy to be smart and sabotage it with small tweeks here and there that would effectively gut it and potentially get democratic votes that are owned by wall street

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JasonV posted:

Back when I figured Trump was never going to win, I still thought this whole Trump thing was going to split the Republicans. I wonder if the not-crazy republicans are finally going revolt against Trump..... End of the 2-party system, at least for awhile?

No. They'll fall in line.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Why do you think Obama is spending so much time "on an Island?" It's because Trump has literally erased him from existence. :colbert:

But for real Trump actually has killed off the overwhelming majority of the Obama legacy, from finance to waters of the US to healthcare....can you think of anything that's yet to go? I guess Lily Ledbetter and Iran deal are still there, for now.

ACA isn't repealed yet, New START remains intact (for now), marriage equality still exists, etc. These are all things that are threatened, but they're not gone yet, and we need to keep that in mind so that we can fight for them.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Except none of this has happened yet. No new regs are written and through the entire process. It takes YEARS to write new regs (eliminating old regs also counts as writing new ones). The republicans in congress were able to block several Obama regs that were finalized in the last year of his presidency, but anything before that is still on the books.

ACA still on the books.

Dodd Frank still on the books.

I'm not saying that stuff isn't in jeopardy. It is. And we need to fight to protect it. But to say it's already gone is just simply false.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Reminder.

Governor Perry prayed to Jeeezus for rain during a drought/wildfire season, got more fire. Also got cheers for killing an innocent man. Zodiac Killer also went to the SCOTUS and to argue it was okay to kill an innocent man.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

JasonV posted:

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/878364461656023040
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/878362942693142528
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/878362787784699904

This isn't covoking when I say that, considering the pull of partisanism, they'll just fall in line. It will be hard for voters to scare them back into their senses and vote against it.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it too early to invest in construction of poorhouses/workhouses?

Asking for a friend.

You'd be too late actually. But you can buy shares!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Uh yea there was a recall and everything

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/jeep-hackers-return-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/

Did you just miss this?

There was even a recall over it. They can't literally take control of your car and drive it into a wall or some poo poo because of the way cars work.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Hollismason posted:

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/jeep-hackers-return-high-speed-steering-acceleration-hacks/

Did you just miss this?

There was even a recall over it. They can't literally take control of your car and drive it into a wall or some poo poo because of the way cars work.

Yeah big business will just throw in the towel on this multi billion dollar initiative I guess

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Covok posted:

This isn't covoking when I say that, considering the pull of partisanism, they'll just fall in line. It will be hard for voters to scare them back into their senses and vote against it.

To further elaborate, you have to understand how things work.

First, you got Mitch McConnell who, as Senate Majority Leader, has a job to keep the party in line for the party's agenda.

Secondly, you got the voters. Voters will approve or disapprove of a bill. In this case, they're very openly and powerfully disapproving.

Thirdly, you got the media/special interests. They try to sway undecided voters.

Up to this point, the third group was on our side, but not in an accusatory way. In other words, the bill is bad, but nothing saying "X" senator is bad. With the WH doing these ads, now there is pressure from two sides in a very tangible way to vote for the bill.

Add to this primaries. Republican primaries is where the reddest of the reds vote. People who tow party line like its a religion. With these ads, they can make the senators fear a primary defeat, merged with the nature of just two sides pushing them, and the will of voters are ignored.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Promised
Suspended
Suspended
Delayed
Suspended
Delayed

So essentially the Obama administration had a bunch of things scheduled, but the implementation has been suspended so he hasn't rolled back *poo poo* yet.

Uh....when an EPA regulation is "suspended", that means an existing rule no longer applies. It's literally the definition of a "rollback". Same with delaying implementation of a regulation, how the hell is that not rolling back progress?

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm not saying that stuff isn't in jeopardy. It is. And we need to fight to protect it. But to say it's already gone is just simply false.

You should read that article I posted, because it HAS already happened. It's happening every week. The EPA had a bunch of rules for methane management and chemical accidents. The Trump administration has suspended those rules. Businesses no longer have to follow them and can now pollute freely. If that's not gone, I don't know what is.

The title of that article is literally Trump follows through on deregulation, but at what cost?, it cites a ton of examples of said deregulation, and you're trying to tell me Trump hasn't deregulated anything. Oh baby, it's a wild world.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/878366918243233792

:stare:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Did you just miss this?

If your thesis was correct then the mass adoption of canbus integrated infotainment would stop. It hasn't.

Just like blatantly insecure SCADA gear, people will keep buying no matter the threat.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The title of that article is literally Trump follows through on deregulation, but at what cost?, it cites a ton of examples of said deregulation, and you're trying to tell me Trump hasn't deregulated anything. Oh baby, it's a wild world.

I'm saying he's been able to block regulations that came in the last year of Obama's presidency, but not write new regulations. I did read the article, and it doesn't say what you think it says. It's accurate to say they've erased the last year of the Obama administration's regulatory agenda. It is simply inaccurate to say they've erased the entire 8 years of it.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 23, 2017

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

:black101:

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

logosanatic posted:

40 million people uninsured + their friends and family who have employer insurance. whom are motivated to vote for whichever party is offering single payer wont do it?

Serious question, are you Happyelf? If so, we've missed you.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hilary is making me want to switch parties now :v:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Uh....when an EPA regulation is "suspended", that means an existing rule no longer applies. It's literally the definition of a "rollback". Same with delaying implementation of a regulation, how the hell is that not rolling back progress?

You should read that article I posted, because it HAS already happened. It's happening every week. The EPA had a bunch of rules for methane management and chemical accidents. The Trump administration has suspended those rules. Businesses no longer have to follow them and can now pollute freely. If that's not gone, I don't know what is.

That's not how that works, that's not how any of this works.

When you suspend a new rule that hasn't been implemented yet, you still follow existing laws.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lmao hell yeah, embrace the heel turn

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

I'm saying he's been able to block regulations that came in the last year of Obama's presidency, but not write new regulations. I did read the article, and it doesn't say what you think it says.

Right but Republicans want to deregulate and tear apart pro-social regulations. So saying Trump isn't writing new regulations misses the point.

Delaying methane rules for o&g aka green completions is an another environmental gently caress-you I haven't seen listed.

Blitz7x posted:

That's not how that works, that's not how any of this works.

When you suspend a new rule that hasn't been implemented yet, you still follow existing laws.

Right and often the existing law allows companies to emit or pollute rather freely. Thus the Obama administration seeking the rule changes.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

I'll take it.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Tatsuta Age posted:

I think autonomous driving is in that "might happen before the fall of civilization, might not" categories, depending on how many decades you give us.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, I can totally picture her awkwardly cramming this into one of her debate answers.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

Right but Republicans want to deregulate and tear apart pro-social regulations. So saying Trump isn't writing new regulations misses the point.

Delaying methane rules for o&g aka green completions is an another environmental gently caress-you I haven't seen listed.

Yes, they want to. I'm saying it's inaccurate to say they already have. I don't disagree that they want to and are bad.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Eh, better than Trumped Up Trickle Down I guess

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

If she continues to do things like this I'll accept her butting in every now and then.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

pokie posted:

I got my US citizenship around 2010 and still have my Russian one, so I am curious about when people would have to relinquish theirs.

Some countries don't allow it. India, for example. Pakistan allows it only with Canada, the US and a short list of certain other countries.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Wow, I can totally picture her awkwardly cramming this into one of her debate answers.

What was the cutesy bullshit thing she did that made every liberal groan? I mean I know there were a ton but there was one in particular. I think it was a play on "trickle down" but I don't remember.

Thaddius the Large posted:

Eh, better than Trumped Up Trickle Down I guess

That was it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

Yes, they want to. I'm saying it's inaccurate to say they already have. I don't disagree that they want to and are bad.

They already have. The clean power plan rules are dead. The green completion rules are dead. The new streambed rules are dead.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PhazonLink posted:

So what stops this from becoming a black market where individuals buy stuff and resell it?

Let me put it this way, if you're canadian and can get me anti biotics for 20 bux, I'll loving paypal it to you.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

*Republicans gain in polls*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like no lie, the last time I bought weed, the weed man noticed I had a cold, and was able to hook me up with antibiotics and some below market price asthma medication. (I have asthma but can't afford inhalers.)

• Locked thread