Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

They probably didn't include them in the game since there is already an entire mission that disables your magic as well as the clockwork soldiers which are immune to a lot of spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Also you can refuse the mark and play without magic. They probably didn't want an enemy that could be completely sidelined by choosing not to take the mark, but I reckon that would have been really cool.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
also I think there's only 2 levels in the entire game where you actually fight Overseers and for one it's completely optional

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So... Is a no powers run with Corvo the Thief 2 sequel I've been waiting for?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Kind of? The verticality in DH is a lot more pronounced than thief which ends up being a bad thing at times. There are a few situations, especially in the conservatory mission, where to do everything you need to make some insanely precise and frustrating jumps that would have been utterly trivial with the agility runs upgrade.

No powers feels like an interesting challenge I guess but it's definitely a second class citizen and feels more frustrating than fun to me

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I like the idea of Emily sprinting toward an overseer desperately cranking his hurdy gurdy as if it's gonna ward her off.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

HenryEx posted:

The interesting threat of "i hope i still have a cluster mine left, i should stock up again in case there's more coming in the future"
they literally have eyes in the back of their head, cause a huge ruckus pretty much no matter what you do to get rid of them, and can be manipulated in such a way as to clear entire rooms if you don't care about non-lethality if you prioritize and handle them properly

i mean super sorry if you're so uncreative that your only solution to them is to throw a sticky mine on them and run away but lmao

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Off the top of my head there are a bunch of ways to deal with clockwork soldiers:
-One springrazor.
-Two charges of stun mine.
-One upgraded crossbow bolt to the head.
-Drop attack to remove the head, and drop attacking a headless one to kill it.
-Explosive bolts can destroy armor or even kill it if you are lucky.
-Direct combat which is surprisingly fun as long as it's a one on one fight.

Plus any other combinations of weapons, explosives, powers, and gadgets like rewire tools. If you are going for a ghost play through than just stick with head removals if you are trying to save resources and use stun mines if you don't want to risk other people getting killed.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I hadn't played this game in months, not since I finished it before BOTW came out, but my gf and I were lounging around and she wanted to know what this was. So I loaded up and my last save was from my High Chaos Corvo playthrough and I was in Crack in the Slab. What a mission to introduce how awesome this game is. Not being a video game person she was pretty much floored by the concept of an item that lets you have a literal window into the past and also then take you there, so I demonstrated by sneaking up on someone in the future, ducking into the past, killing them, having their body vanish due to shadow kill, and then warping back to the future :black101:

Then once I got powers back (I had slow time maxed and had enough runes to pick up most of possession after crack in the slab) I possessed a blood fly and snuck through an area just before finding a cluster of guards, slowing time, blinking in to place a razor mine, blinking out and letting her watch them get dismembered. I seriously enjoyed her reactions to everything.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

If you never played Dishonored 1, it's $2.50 on Steam right now, which is insanely good value for one of the best games of the past 10 years.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Coolguye posted:

they literally have eyes in the back of their head, cause a huge ruckus pretty much no matter what you do to get rid of them, and can be manipulated in such a way as to clear entire rooms if you don't care about non-lethality if you prioritize and handle them properly

i mean super sorry if you're so uncreative that your only solution to them is to throw a sticky mine on them and run away but lmao

Man, normal guards are more versatile than that, i don't see you singing their praises

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I mean, i've never played lethally in a stealth game if i didn't have to (because what's even the point then), so Clockwork soldiers are just freebies that are way easier to take out, since you don't have to take care and can just unload the stockpiles of lethal equipment you have on them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

HenryEx posted:

Man, normal guards are more versatile than that

yea naw

super sorry you can't figure out how to have fun with an 8 foot tall abomination of wood and gears but basically everyone else who played this game did fine on that front

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

ZearothK posted:

So... Is a no powers run with Corvo the Thief 2 sequel I've been waiting for?

Not really. It feels like an evolution of the ideas in some ways (eg witches/pagans and overseers/hammerites) and an improvement on others (Dunwall and Karnaca are far more detailed and fleshed out than The City), but the stealth mechanic isn't as nuanced as Thief. And as much as I hate to say it, Corvo isn't all that compelling of a character compared to Garrett. Stephen Russell is a great voice actor - his Garrett is a perfect mix of snide, smug, and unhappily heroic - but the guy didn't have a lot to work with voicing Corvo. His low-chaos quips are bland ("Maybe I should've taught Emily to rule instead of fight" :downs:) and his high-chaos stuff comes off like Linkin Park lyrics scribbled on a hotel napkin.

But all that said: I'm picking nits on a unicorn. D2 is still a fantastic game with the setting as the main character. (Arkane's visual world-building is loving phenomenal, here and especially in Prey) and while it isn't the sequel you've been waiting for, it's about the closest you'll probably ever get. And it's a hell of a lot better than the late-term abortion the last Thief game turned out to be.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Are there any good guards in this game? It seems like the heart says they're all rapist/wife-beating/child-abusing/homeless murdering sadists.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Are you playing High Chaos?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Most are bad, but there's one or two good or neutral quotes from the heart.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Lunethex posted:

Are you playing High Chaos?

It says low chaos, though I've certainly springrazor'd quite a few torsos here and there after getting bored of choking fools all the time.

I did get a good quote out of the heart when I used it on some civilian in an apartment, where it said she donates whale oil and food to the poors (who then get beaten, raped, murdered and robbed by almost every single guard who happens upon them, apparently).

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

There's some good ones! Off the top of my head there's one who saved some kids, another who shares his rations with neighbors, and one where a guard had a poo poo childhood and worked super hard and wears his medals with pride (or something)

It kinda makes sense that most are bad though, Karnacka is supposed to be at a low point since Luca.

I'm goofing around with possession a lot recently. Did you know that if you possess a certain boss, a voice speaks to you? Also it's funny making duke abele throw up.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

I'm goofing around with possession a lot recently. Did you know that if you possess a certain boss, a voice speaks to you? Also it's funny making duke abele throw up.

Got a video of that?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

skoolmunkee posted:

Did you know that if you possess a certain boss, a voice speaks to you?

details, please

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

I dimly recall something in the early gameplay trailers where if you possess a witch, they'll start smack-talking you in their head. I've never gone for possession, so I don't know if that's true.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Marshal Radisic posted:

I've never gone for possession, so I don't know if that's true.

same, which is why I'm asking

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this game is good. I've played a good portion of it, and know a few things, but not nearly everything. catch you next time

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Got a video of that?

Nope! If you want more details about possession funsies though,

you can't possess grim Alex, but you can to Hypatia before she changes. Alex asks you if you like it in here as much as she does.

Sometimes witches will know they've been possessed and might say something like, where are you taking me, what are you doing. But they can't do anything about it. I had a fun time walking witches off of ledges. You can possess paolo, in the earlier level I did it when he confronted me then just marched him into the wall of light. You possess almost anyone except Delilah and... hm, maybe breanna at first? Meagan and sokolov give you game over though.

You can pick up stuff while you're controlling a guy so I had a great time taking the duke through his own house stealing a bunch of his own stuff for me. I had a x4 charm that extended time, and another that lets you run with humans. Still though you have to leave him, but then he just barfs and you can jump right back in. So imagine the duke jogging through his mansion opening doors and cabinets and scooping anything valuable into his pockets while periodically stopping to vomit on the floor. You get his keys when you possess him so I took him right into his own vault. I did some of the same with jindosh but those people waiting for him in the room don't have special lines if he shows up so I was sad.

Bloodflies make it trivial to cross distance but they don't want to go up too high for some reason.

Best thing was using chain host, and a bone charm that makes enemies unconscious after you leave them. Cause a ruckus and get a big bunch of guards after you, then boop boop bop through them. It's like they all got the fainting sickness.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Replaying the D1 expansion packs and had one of my favourite video game stuff up moments. When you go into Timsh's study there's a scripted conversation between Timsh and his guard captain and the captain's being a completely toady, telling Timsh he's a great man, etc. As soon as that script is complete the captain reverts to simply being a guard who will spout random lines sometimes, and literally two seconds after he's just finished telling his boss how great he is, he walks over to look at a painting on the wall and declares "Some people have NO taste!"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just picked this up, and I honestly can't decide Emily or Corvo, I may just unlock New Game + mode with cheats, and play the one with the best story, who ahs the best story?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Well they're the same plot, but the game is really Emily's.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It is absolutely Emily's story and they only decided to add Corvo down the track, and that becomes clear in the opening scene. It's still fine as Corvo, it works as Corvo, it just works much better as Emily. Play as Emily first, because it was clearly written with her in mind.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Also her powers are more fun than Corvo's.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Agreed. Corvo's powers are all from the previous game while they give Emily some fun new things.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Emily is also easier to do non-lethal with.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Both are good for non lethal playthroughs. Corvo's Blink power is better for traversal and both Bend Time and Possession* can make plenty of sections trivial, especially when upgraded. Emily has Domino and Mesmerize both which are good, especially the former which is great for crowd control and cheap to upgrade. Supposedly Shadow Walk/Doppelganger are decent, but I never used them much.

* much more so if like me you get lucky with the randomizer early on and get the bonecharm that automatically knocks out NPCs when you de-possess them.

GUI fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 4, 2017

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I'm not sure if it's just me, but it seems like Blink works a lot better for 'snap teleports' than Far Reach. Like I mean if youre sprinting and jumping and are already aiming at where you want to go, you can just tap the button and Blink will put you exactly where you aimed, while Far Reach will undershoot every time unless you hold the button long enough for the tentacle to finish animating out to the max range or whatever.

Also super bummed that I got bone charms that make Emily's clones last longer and have more health on my low-chaos bonecrafting run - I really wanted to use them like Corvo's rats and just take out groups of people with them.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I rely so much on Domino I can't imagine playing without it now. It's incredibly useful for stealth runs, and if you want to go high chaos there's few things as fun as Domino + upgraded Far Reach + dangerously high ledges.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Does mesmerise have a way to turn it off yet? I stopped using it because it kept persisting too long and some other guard would wander in and get alarmed

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Drunk in Space posted:

Are there any good guards in this game? It seems like the heart says they're all rapist/wife-beating/child-abusing/homeless murdering sadists.
Yeah, they overdid the grimdark with the heart quotes, I think. As you say you pretty soon realise that almost everyone in Karnaca is a baby-murdering rapist, which - besides being unbelievable in a game that spends a lot of time on world-building - means finding yet another one loses any sense of interest or impact. It would have worked better if the bulk of the quotes were neutral, since that would have made the occasional psycho actually stand out and be interesting.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 5, 2017

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zephro posted:

They kind of overdid the grimdark with the heart quotes, I think. Because almost everyone in Karnaca is a baby-murdering rapist it kind of loses any impact. It would have worked better if the bulk of the quotes were neutral, since that would have made the occasional psycho actually stand out and be interesting.

There are actually three pools. Good guy ("He reads to blind orphans. It's the only pleasure in their lives."), assholes ("He once stole a pie from his brother. He's still proud of that.") and psychos. ("Her favorite flavor is babies. She learned to enjoy it while throwing them off rooftops.")

Generally, I found decent guys and psychos sometimes, and assholes fairly often. The most common state in Karnaca is "A dick, but not so much a dick that killing them is doing the world a favor."

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
is this game worth fifteen english pounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is this game worth fifteen english pounds

It's worth 30 Scottish.