Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

No, I don't think the weapons are brought up again after this. They're just stuff to equip and eventually sell.

I didn't think so either, but maybe we'll be surprised. There seems to be some sort of story behind them (other than the obvious "gift from my Lord,") and it's a weird thread to leave hanging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
They're never brought up again, but you can work out their significance in retrospect once you're made aware of a certain plot point.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I love that the concept art of Disguised Julia has her absolutely hating it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I don't know what I expected from Star Door 15, but it definitely wasn't what I got. :smith:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Fun fact: Olivier's faaaaaaa~bulous new coat is also what he wears in the Cold Steel games, or is at least very close to it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
With Estelle still sealed somewhere in here, it's only natural someone else gets to wield the almighty Bright slap and Ries is just the one to do it.

I do love the scene between Kevin and Joshua. It really makes you see Kevin's presence in SC in a whole different light. It's also kinda unsettling how easily Kevin slips into the role he's been playing throughout SC. No wonder Ries was freaked out over it.

If you brought Kevin to the Loewe battle in SC, it all but confirms that he's the person Rufina faced during that Ouroboros mission of hers that gets mentioned here. Given how deadly he was, Rufina must have been quite the warrior herself.

Cryohazard posted:

I don't know what I expected from Star Door 15, but it definitely wasn't what I got. :smith:

It was actually already heavily aluded to during the scene on top of the tower in SC. All it really did was make the subtext text. Very, very disturbing text.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Erpy posted:

I do love the scene between Kevin and Joshua. It really makes you see Kevin's presence in SC in a whole different light. It's also kinda unsettling how easily Kevin slips into the role he's been playing throughout SC. No wonder Ries was freaked out over it.
Yeah, it's also really great that right after Ries berates him for acting, he drops the act for Joshua and they have an actual conversation for the first time.

It's also the first real glimpse we have behind the curtain at who Kevin really is.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I also like how Joshua responds. Instead of giving Kevin a wary glare, he simply tells him his motives don't matter, he's still extremely grateful for the results. Joshua had a very guarded streak about him that verged on the paranoid back in FC. FC Joshua wouldn't have responded to Kevin the way he did, but it seems like Estelle's been rubbing off on him since they got back together and his reaction here is very much something she'd say. It's actually kind of cool to see.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

My favorite part of this scene is imagining Joshua being some secret uber stalker, keeping tabs on every single person Estelle meets and every person those people meet and so on every day while they're travelling without end all while Estelle is none the wiser.

Well it's funny to me.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, from a second closer reading, it looks like both "happy-go-lucky Kevin" and "Cold, calculating Dominion Kevin" are both sort of masks that he wears. He seems... not just sad on the inside, more like... empty. Broken.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Super Jay Mann posted:

My favorite part of this scene is imagining Joshua being some secret uber stalker, keeping tabs on every single person Estelle meets and every person those people meet and so on every day while they're travelling without end all while Estelle is none the wiser.

Well it's funny to me.
I have a feeling that by now Estelle probably has caught on a bit to Joshua's...er, "information gathering habits", but knows that such behavior has been ingrained in Joshua for so long, that she just sighs and hopes he doesn't go too overboard. Mostly by reminding him of the very large stick she carries.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Erpy posted:

If you brought Kevin to the Loewe battle in SC, it all but confirms that he's the person Rufina faced during that Ouroboros mission of hers that gets mentioned here. Given how deadly he was, Rufina must have been quite the warrior herself.

It's in here:

quote:

You're Kevin Graham, yes? Would you happen to know a woman named Rufina?
...Where did you get that name?
So she WAS a Gralsritter. I thought so. I fought a bowgun-wielding churchwoman similar to yourself several years ago. That was one of the few other times I've been so thoroughly matched. Is she still well?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, it's tactical smug. You need to watch yourself around that, you can blow a hole in your personality.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I do kinda wonder how Joshua was able to find out that Kevin was a Dominion during SC, seeing that it's something Weissmann didn't catch onto until he had a piece of Salt Pale stuck in his rump and Joshua spent most of the time in SC living off the grid together with the Capuas, who I imagine weren't much help in deducing the identities of the Septian Church's top dogs.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Erpy posted:

I do kinda wonder how Joshua was able to find out that Kevin was a Dominion during SC, seeing that it's something Weissmann didn't catch onto until he had a piece of Salt Pale stuck in his rump and Joshua spent most of the time in SC living off the grid together with the Capuas, who I imagine weren't much help in deducing the identities of the Septian Church's top dogs.

Given how free Enforcers are in their work I would imagine he had up to date information pertaining his work which was pretty much assassination, so knowing high ranking church members, even secret ones would be important especially if they came to blows with Ourobouros as seen by the cutscenes and the Loewe quote from SC. So either he knew the roster from his time in Ourobouros (or simply because he was Ein's pupil back then), or maybe he still has a couple of sources from that time he can rely on that aren't necessarily connected to Ourobouros it self.

At least that would be my best guess.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
I bet you anything that Cassius knew.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cryohazard posted:

Are you kidding?

Cassius probably knows who the Grandmaster is.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I think the implication is that Josh did a ton of research after the Liber Ark and found out then.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
No, I think it's suggesting Joshua knew Father Onion was hanging out with Estelle during the early parts of SC and found out about his real deal then. When all of them meet again in Grancel Castle after Estelle's escape from the Glorious, you get this conversation:

quote:

Ahaha...Sorry for all the fuss.
Young Man's Voice: Ya dang well better be!

I gotta tell ya, Estelle, when you got snatched up I just about flipped out in every direction I could.
Seriously, don't make me worry like that next time, okay?
Yeah...Sorry about that.
So, then! THIS must be...
Yes, I'm Joshua Astray. A pleasure to meet you, Father Graham.
Urk. Even more handsome than I'd expected.
And, wait, you know me?
I heard about you once or twice while keeping an ear open for what Estelle was doing. I heard how you helped Estelle when she was in need several times.
Thank you. I'm grateful for your help.

There wasn't much of a point for Joshua into looking into Kevin after he rejoined the team, since he'd be around himself. Whatever research he did must have been before that point and this conversation is probably Joshua's way of saying "yes, I did a background check on you, number 5".

Cassius knew, of course, which was probably why he gave Joshua that letter urging him to approach Kevin for help in destroying the stigma Weissmann used to control him. Shattering a thing like that isn't something you'd ask your average neighbourhood pastor, so Cassius most likely knew Kevin was more than a Grallsritter greenhorn.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It was all a lucky guess. Joshua's not about to admit that, of course.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
This Memory Door practically spells out what the upcoming Calvard Arc is going to be about; a bunch of newbies in the independent Rocksmith Agency with Kilika acting as Da Chief, assigning bracer-like tasks to your group, possibly training them in combat and loving with Zin's head whenever she has the opportunity.

I really like the dynamic between Zin and Kilika. The fact that Kilika says Elmo reminds her of "our hometown" makes me wonder if she already knew Zin before he joined the Taito school.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Re: Joshua knowing about Kevin but Weissmann not, it's possible Joshua just has better information gathering skills and contacts than Weissmann on account of that being his specialty. What I find more likely though is what's actually stated in SC, that Weissmann had such extreme tunnel vision centered on Cassius and his actions that he paid no more than cursory attention to what anyone else, including Estelle and her party, were doing. I mean think about it, from his perspective Estelle's party should barely be a problem since in the worst case he can just activate Joshua's stigma and be done with it.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Really Pants posted:

Zin (ZANE :colbert:): I mean, it's not like we'll never see each other again.

In any other game, this would be a death sentence for Kilika.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It was nice seeing Kilika being one of us mere humans for once. I've never been a big fan of the omniscient ally trope. I like my characters to actually have moments where they're thrown off guard or vulnerable, and Kilika hadn't had hers yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kilika had plenty of moments where she felt vulnerable or powerless, she's just a pretty in-control person so it wasn't blindingly obvious. She spent most of SC being frustrated about Zin and Walter.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Yeah, she got pretty cagey when Zin and Walter's plot started, and I took that as her dealing with frustration.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not to mention her question "Why couldn't you ever see me as myself?" to Walter on top of Carnelia Tower.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Are you kidding?

Cassius probably knows who the Grandmaster is.

I'm not even sure the Anguis themselves know, but Cassius? Yeah, I could see that :D

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You know no one better than yourself.

Cassius may be the only one who knows the Grandmaster's identity.

Ergo...

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Ergo...

Estelle: drat IT DAD!

Joshua: I actually knew this already.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

The Doomhammer posted:

By that time, it might be:

Renne: Yeah, me too. Are you gonna explain it to her or should I?

Estelle: :smugjones:

Erpy fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 25, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

Ergo...

Campanella knows.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

Isn't Kevin the '-K' attribution on the note attached to the black orbment Cassius gets mailed in FC?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Some Numbers posted:

Campanella knows.

Campanella knows the Grandmaster.

Cassius has a name fairly similar to Campanella.

We've never seen the two in the same room.

Ergo, Campanella is Cassius is the Grandmaster.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

vdate posted:

Isn't Kevin the '-K' attribution on the note attached to the black orbment Cassius gets mailed in FC?

Nope. That was Kurt. FC's final chapter had that little side-plot about Kurt's memory loss; Weissmann caught up to him after he put the Gospel in the mail.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Aha! Thank you. It's been quite a while since I read the LP, so I've forgotten a lot of little details.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Regalingualius posted:

The Doomhammer posted:

Erpy posted:

By that time, it might be:

Renne: Yeah, me too. Are you gonna explain it to her or should I?

Estelle: :smugjones:

I am laughing my rear end off playing this scene out in my head right now.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

Re: Joshua knowing about Kevin but Weissmann not, it's possible Joshua just has better information gathering skills and contacts than Weissmann on account of that being his specialty. What I find more likely though is what's actually stated in SC, that Weissmann had such extreme tunnel vision centered on Cassius and his actions that he paid no more than cursory attention to what anyone else, including Estelle and her party, were doing. I mean think about it, from his perspective Estelle's party should barely be a problem since in the worst case he can just activate Joshua's stigma and be done with it.

I'd probably say that tunnel vision was centered on Joshua and the Aureole if anything, but yeah the tunnel vision probably helped a lot in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
An interesting side question: Did Campanella know? He knew ABOUT Kevin, his number, his title and his rumored coldness even though they never met face to face before. As he said: it was his job to see more than others and to observe and only that. It's possible he merely heard rumors about Kevin and didn't associate him with being the Heretic Hunter until Kevin nailed Weissmann with a salt bolt. It's equally possible he already connected the dots, knew that there was a Dominion coming for Weissmann and instead of warning him, decided to start practicing his dramatic shattering fingersnapping skillz instead. :)

Erpy fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jun 25, 2017

• Locked thread