Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Lampsacus posted:

I have no doubt this series has been plugged already:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOlffr73fuM
But I just finally gave it a watch and it is fascinating. Dead malls of America - unite!

I love these when an arcade is featured. This one has silent scope and marvel vs capcom 2! And that's it. Good taste though, whoever owns Tilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lampsacus posted:

I have no doubt this series has been plugged already:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOlffr73fuM
But I just finally gave it a watch and it is fascinating. Dead malls of America - unite!

I can't explain it, but these videos are possibly one of the saddest things I've ever seen on YouTube.

edit: I wonder if in 20 years instead of people fetishizing coal miners they'll be fetishizing retail workers in a mall.

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 24, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

axeil posted:

I can't explain it, but these videos are possibly one of the saddest things I've ever seen on YouTube.

edit: I wonder if in 20 years instead of people fetishizing coal miners they'll be fetishizing retail workers in a mall.

Well coal mining had its peak of employment, both by per-capita and absolute numbers, in 1923. It then had fallen close to half by World War II, which saw a temporary boost in miners to feed war production needs, only to start its precipitous decline again so that by the early 50s it had fallen to employment levels fairly close to today's. There was then a small uptick into the 80s (which got ot at most a few tens of thousands more jobs) only to collapse again to lower than where it'd been in the early 50s by the 90s/2000s.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, the mall retail worker is only going to get idolized starting maybe 40 years after malls really crater, or possibly as much as like 70 years after. Basically, either at the edges of living memory of people who used to work in them, or a decent bit beyond that.

The whole edge of living memory thing is why so many people gloss over how the coal companies would work you to death and charge your widow for the privilege before forcing your son into the mine after you, after all!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fishmech posted:

Well coal mining had its peak of employment, both by per-capita and absolute numbers, in 1923. It then had fallen close to half by World War II, which saw a temporary boost in miners to feed war production needs, only to start its precipitous decline again so that by the early 50s it had fallen to employment levels fairly close to today's. There was then a small uptick into the 80s (which got ot at most a few tens of thousands more jobs) only to collapse again to lower than where it'd been in the early 50s by the 90s/2000s.

So I guess what I'm getting at is, the mall retail worker is only going to get idolized starting maybe 40 years after malls really crater, or possibly as much as like 70 years after. Basically, either at the edges of living memory of people who used to work in them, or a decent bit beyond that.

The whole edge of living memory thing is why so many people gloss over how the coal companies would work you to death and charge your widow for the privilege before forcing your son into the mine after you, after all!

Literally all I know about coal mining comes from the movie October Sky where it is portrayed as an absolutely horrible thing but "IT'S YOUR HERITAGE YOU HAVE TO DO IT". So this makes sense.

I guess on the upside, no one is telling their kids working the shoe department in JC Penny's is a family tradition and you better drat well do it son!

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Why are you assuming these people have 40 hour weeks? They don't. Many of the people on 40 hours a week are management or department heads. Many retail/service industry positions will give you somewhere between 20-30 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less.

That's not my personal fault nor the fault of real estate owners nor does it really come into the arguement.

You probably need to work a full work week in any loving country on earth. If your politicians weren't smart enough to figure out companies would try to cut workers hours to not give them healthcare go get pissed off at them.

The arguement here is basic. You have more purchasing power in the sticks and suburbs than the big city. I proved it unless you have some kind of comeback arguement.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

axeil posted:

Because of all the broken, shattered hopes and dreams piled on top of the wasted effort. Building a mall takes a poo poo load of effort and the skills of a lot of people. Somebody, somewhere lovingly designed the building and somebody else put great care into the decorations.

Then it turned out to be a horrendous waste of money and effort. That mall has ended careers and ruined lives, guaranteed. It's a huge, empty building in a nation with massive homelessness problems. That one in particular is near Pittsburgh; instead of building something productive somebody decided "hey let's build a huge loving mall in the middle of the rust belt!!!" It's seriously exactly the opposite of "helping." It's a shining beacon of everything wrong with America. $200,000,000 could probably have ended homelessness in Pittsburgh and/or put a big, fat dent in the unemployment. It could have cleaned up a gently caress load of problems but nah that's not useful, let's build a mall.

I doubt people will be fetishizing retail work like coal gets. Like was already mentioned there are a poo poo load of coal families that have been doing it for centuries but the other side of it is that retail as we know it just doesn't have as long of a tradition. American culture also fetishizes manly work done by manly men; retail is not that. Coal however is CONQUERING THE EARTH! We are DIGGING OUT ITS RESOURCES!!!! YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH! That is done by manly men with beards and huge arms and pickaxes!!!

...except that it isn't anymore. Machines do it now.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Jack2142 posted:

To talk about retail, with Amazon buying out Whole Foods, I wonder how the New Seasons chain from Portland feels since they just started their expansion out of the Portland market into Seattle, with them opening at least one new location in Ballard, I hope this doesn't backfire because I actually preferred them to Whole Foods when I lived down in Portland and was excited about them moving up North.

I work for New Seasons. One of our stores is the place where Amazon Prime Now gets all its groceries from in Portland. The building (which New Seasons owns) is also an Amazon headquarters of some sort, so that seems sort of complicated Our CEO waited until today to say anything about it:

Wendy Collie posted:

...It’s an opportunity for us to further differentiate ourselves and deepen our commitment to our mission, values, and triple-bottom-line philosophy (people, planet, and profit). We can use this disruptive time in our industry to make bold moves to evolve our business and support our commitment to community, and humanity. I want to share with you what that means for us, what that doesn’t mean for us, and why I am fired up about our future...

...Amazon’s purchase of Whole Foods puts a spotlight on just how rapidly the game is changing, and I expect to see ‘evolutionary’ changes to meet the customers’ needs in the future. In the meantime, our relationship with Amazon Prime Now is business as usual, and we are engaging with them as things unfold to understand what that means to our online delivery business...

its like 10 more paragraphs of that. There is this though, which is a very uh spicy little nugget:

Wendy Collie posted:

Change the pace of new store growth: We originally planned 4-5 new stores in 2018, and will slow that down to two. We will still open Sunnyvale and Emeryville this year. We will still open Ballard, Aptos, Carmel, and Fulton but will stagger the openings so that we open only two in 2018. More to come as we finalize dates and locations.

Invest in our current stores: That’s everything from training and product knowledge for you, to updating, resetting and refreshing locations, as well as experimenting with new programs.

Be the leaders in customer experience: Both in stores and new channels like e-commerce, order-to-shelf, etc. We will own the customer service experience, elevating our brand to new height

...which pretty much means that maybe rapidly expanding into new territory cost/lost the company a whole lot of money (we didn't get profit share this last quarter) and that we should roll back to what made us a good(ish) place to shop at (if you are wealthy) in the first place: happy staff who got treated well who in turn treated the customers well.

fake edit:Wendy Collie was an executive at Starbucks before she came to New Seasons, the CEO prior to her would like wash dishes when the dishwasher called out, led the staff orientation., and wasn't a fuckin Annunaki weirdo

real edit: and no we are not union, it sucks but neither is Whole Foods and UFCW is the absolute pits. There were a handful of people trying to get us into the ILWU but I'm sure they all got fired or "quit"

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 24, 2017

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
CNBC had a report about how theres not enought warehouses in the us for the expansion of ecommerce so lol the property owners can laways just knock out all the internal walls and turn their malls into massive warehouses to rent to amazon or walmart.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That's pretty dumb. They'll want thier own designed space so as much as possible can be automated.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

axeil posted:

It looks like those are malls at the tail end of active operation though. If you want sad, you should see what they look like years after closing, it looks post-apocalyptic.

axeil posted:

I think it's a completely different situation. Coal wasn't killed by disinterest as much as market forces, it also was geographically concentrated which made whole towns dependent on it, followed by ruin when the mine closed. It's also disproportionately emphasized due to swing state electoral college bullshit.

Malls can't really exist without something else driving the economy, outside of a few rare tourist destinations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

HEY NONG MAN posted:

lol that doesn't count. Be an adult.

:thejoke:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Dead Mall Series is very well shot and edited but the guy making it does the snarky Youtube Narration Thing way too much and it undercuts what could be a much more impactful piece with a lot less handholding.

*shows picture of one dude eating alone in a food court* Ehehehehehehe, this food court? It's not very popular!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA :cawg:

Really? Your crippling social anxiety means you aren't gonna walk up and talk to the one dude eating, maybe ask him why he's eating in a dead mall? Maybe ask those kids or their parents why they're doing the spider walk thing? Get their opinions on why not more people do the spiderwalk thing? No? No, you're just gonna walk around the mall collecting footage and mentally cataloging bitchy commentaries you only let go from the safety of an ADR booth or more likely a blue yeti on your PC? The social and economic and biological tenets of life are crumbling in our loving lifetimes and this is the best you've got? YOU ARE LIKE LITTLE BABY, WATCH THIS

https://vimeo.com/9696400

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah good point. Still - ive flicked through a few other dead mall channels and its the best we got so better buck up buddy strap in and get your m a l l o c e a n on.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Willie Tomg posted:

Dead Mall Series is very well shot and edited but the guy making it does the snarky Youtube Narration Thing way too much and it undercuts what could be a much more impactful piece with a lot less handholding.

*shows picture of one dude eating alone in a food court* Ehehehehehehe, this food court? It's not very popular!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA :cawg:

Really? Your crippling social anxiety means you aren't gonna walk up and talk to the one dude eating, maybe ask him why he's eating in a dead mall? Maybe ask those kids or their parents why they're doing the spider walk thing? Get their opinions on why not more people do the spiderwalk thing? No? No, you're just gonna walk around the mall collecting footage and mentally cataloging bitchy commentaries you only let go from the safety of an ADR booth or more likely a blue yeti on your PC? The social and economic and biological tenets of life are crumbling in our loving lifetimes and this is the best you've got? YOU ARE LIKE LITTLE BABY, WATCH THIS

https://vimeo.com/9696400

He avoids interacting with people while he's filming the videos because he's try to film them as covertly as possible. Mall security at these places generally doesn't like people randomly filming/photographing and I'm pretty sure he's gotten kicked out of at least one mall for doing it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zov7PEXdVZk

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Mr.Radar posted:

He avoids interacting with people while he's filming the videos because he's try to film them as covertly as possible. Mall security at these places generally doesn't like people randomly filming/photographing and I'm pretty sure he's gotten kicked out of at least one mall for doing it.

Yup, walking through a mall is not like walking past shops on Main Street. As soon as you step foot in the parking lot, you are on private property. I've been talked to by mall security for using my SLR a mall a few times.

Any store can do that, but in my experience, mall security is quicker to come down on you for blatantly taking photographs or video than any other place I've been to. Given the state of malls lately, I would chalk it up to boredom.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Yup, walking through a mall is not like walking past shops on Main Street. As soon as you step foot in the parking lot, you are on private property. I've been talked to by mall security for using my SLR a mall a few times.

Any store can do that, but in my experience, mall security is quicker to come down on you for blatantly taking photographs or video than any other place I've been to. Given the state of malls lately, I would chalk it up to boredom.

I was yelled at in a Whole Foods for trying to take pictures of stuff on a shelf. It was weird as gently caress.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I was yelled at in a Whole Foods for trying to take pictures of stuff on a shelf. It was weird as gently caress.

Same but at Walmart taking photos of bizarre food (blueberry pancake covered sausage on a stick - why does this exist?).

Just ignored the guy and he hosed off

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

BrandorKP posted:

That's pretty dumb. They'll want thier own designed space so as much as possible can be automated.
I find it hard to believe you couldn't adapt a mall to fit the full automaton constraints. Its an environmentally sealed, internally very flat structure with any already existing floorplan that was exact during construction. You'd add things to it to make it more navigable/interpretable to the robots, but that has to be cheaper than building a whole new structure.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

I find it hard to believe you couldn't adapt a mall to fit the full automaton constraints. Its an environmentally sealed, internally very flat structure with any already existing floorplan that was exact during construction. You'd add things to it to make it more navigable/interpretable to the robots, but that has to be cheaper than building a whole new structure.

I spend a lot of time in warehouses of varying degrees of sophistication: big, open, with high ceilings. Most malls layouts would be very poor. A mall isn't really set up to load trucks in the way a distribution warehouse is.

It might be significantly more expensive to convert than build new.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

Well, sure, but how many times can you walk through essentially identical retail wasteland and go "That sure is a dilapidated floorspace surrounded by creepy focus-grouped decor!"

(Apparently a lot).

Outside the value of pointing out that we have increasingly vast amounts of wasted commercial real estate in America that is economically impossible to develop, it doesn't do much for educational or even voyeuristic purposes. Outside of maybe our ten major cities in America you can easily find this kind of space anywhere.

We could explore questions like why a dead mall even has a security detail. Call the police lol.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 25, 2017

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
I work in the shipping industry. Seen the inside of many a warehouse. "Gutted Mall" is not what comes to mind.

Walmarts and Home Depots are what would work. Malls aren't always completely flat, and who knows what kind of structure or electrical or HVAC is stashed in all the walls between the shops. Tearing out and paving over all the elevators, escalators, water features.

An anchor store might be convertible. Buy a whole mall? It would be easier to just slap up a warehouse in the unused parking.

What puzzles me...

Is mall space just that much more to rent and pay utilities on than other retail space? Or is it zoning that keeps the shops from being converted to office or light industry?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

What puzzles me...

Is mall space just that much more to rent and pay utilities on than other retail space? Or is it zoning that keeps the shops from being converted to office or light industry?

Hmm? A ton of dead or dying malls are being converted to office space these days, or already have offices (particularly like, accountants, doctors, etc) shoved into the regular retail slots. Generally isn't much demand for light industry that'll fit into the existing slots though, so that tends to require much more substantial modifications to be viable.

But as always, actually getting any of these conversions done requires there to be a decent amount of demand for office or industrial space in the area first. And places where retail demand is way down is likely to have the other things way down too.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Its a bit of a derail, but where I live the death or office space dwarfs retail. There are so many office parks near me at below 50% occupancy, going to then feels like walking through a cemetery.

I still see occasional small retail being built, but no one has built a dedicated office building in my area forever.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Is the area struggling as a whole, overbuilding, or is it office jobs moving downtown?

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Cicero posted:

Is the area struggling as a whole, overbuilding, or is it office jobs moving downtown?

Far fewer office workers are needed these days.

And its not just because of 'AI', I've seen entire positions replaced by simple VBA scripts.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

It gets really really hard when kids get into school and become aware of class, it's specially rough on girls. If you don't have the latest phone, the hot brand, the new boots, some hair scrunchie that's so hot this month, some stupid bracelet all the other cool girls have, whatever it's loving random, but you don't have it you get hella bullied. Boys need the latest video game poo poo, but there's far less pressure/judgement on clothing and accessories.

I have a few friends with daughters and it's hard on them to balance being anti-consumer with their kids being able to fully fit-in in school. One had a real hard time with bullying based on perceived class, the other got lucky and ended up with very confident girls that don't give a gently caress and have enough similar friends that the peer pressure isn't so strong. I think the big difference is one sends her kid to a "good school" full of rich kids, while the other just goes to the closest neighbourhood school.

Yes, this. Anything that makes your kids stand out and get bullied should be eliminated. I was bullied throughout my whole childhood and I still can't properly relate to people. And if you're preparing for a post consumer future, getting along with others is crucial (hence why my personal plan is "Pray that cheap, painless and destigmatized euthanasia becomes reality".

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/25/...v=top-news&_r=0

Operation Destroy Middle America is on schedule. Dead Community tour videos to begin soon.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In my city in the late 70's or so as part of this horrible urban planning fad of "downtowns should compete with suburban malls by BECOMING a suburban mall!!" phase that gutted so many of our cities, we demolished a whole city block to build a big ugly street-scape destroying urban mall with a ton of underground parking. The mall never did well because people don't come downtown to go inside a lovely ugly mall, they want to walk along rows of pretty old storefronts. So the mall failed and was an empty eyesore. In the 90's a large downtown department store demolished half of its self and built a huge mall, this time instead of low cramped suburban-mall design it was a 4 story deal with a big open atrium down the middle, I'm sure we've all seen this design. This mall did quite well and spelled the end of any hope for getting the ugly 70's mall back from the dead.

How things have changed over the years is a bit interesting, and shows how malls can sort of adapt. The 70's mall is still a massive eyesore, a whole square block of nearly empty walls facing small historic buildings. But the main mall space has been replaced with a huge government call centre and offices. The 90's mall suffered over the last decade, the bottom 2-3 floors which have direct access to the street are doing ok, but the upper floors had trouble holding onto tenants. So they pretty much gutted the top floor and leased one whole half to a big fitness studio and the other half to the government as a passport office.

Adding office or non-retail services to malls has been a big trend here lately. Where retail depends on foot traffic and impulse buys, something like a doctor's office or a driver's license centre don't need to be in the high-traffic areas to be successful. But of course that can only go so far, you can't just replace everything in a mall with that or you'd end up with a weird mall-like professional building and there isn't enough demand for those services to fill every dying mall.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Baronjutter posted:

In my city in the late 70's or so as part of this horrible urban planning fad of "downtowns should compete with suburban malls by BECOMING a suburban mall!!" phase that gutted so many of our cities, we demolished a whole city block to build a big ugly street-scape destroying urban mall with a ton of underground parking. The mall never did well because people don't come downtown to go inside a lovely ugly mall, they want to walk along rows of pretty old storefronts. So the mall failed and was an empty eyesore. In the 90's a large downtown department store demolished half of its self and built a huge mall, this time instead of low cramped suburban-mall design it was a 4 story deal with a big open atrium down the middle, I'm sure we've all seen this design. This mall did quite well and spelled the end of any hope for getting the ugly 70's mall back from the dead.

How things have changed over the years is a bit interesting, and shows how malls can sort of adapt. The 70's mall is still a massive eyesore, a whole square block of nearly empty walls facing small historic buildings. But the main mall space has been replaced with a huge government call centre and offices. The 90's mall suffered over the last decade, the bottom 2-3 floors which have direct access to the street are doing ok, but the upper floors had trouble holding onto tenants. So they pretty much gutted the top floor and leased one whole half to a big fitness studio and the other half to the government as a passport office.

Adding office or non-retail services to malls has been a big trend here lately. Where retail depends on foot traffic and impulse buys, something like a doctor's office or a driver's license centre don't need to be in the high-traffic areas to be successful. But of course that can only go so far, you can't just replace everything in a mall with that or you'd end up with a weird mall-like professional building and there isn't enough demand for those services to fill every dying mall.

Is this Jackson Square? Because it sure as hell sounds like Jackson Square.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Because of all the broken, shattered hopes and dreams piled on top of the wasted effort. Building a mall takes a poo poo load of effort and the skills of a lot of people. Somebody, somewhere lovingly designed the building and somebody else put great care into the decorations.

Then it turned out to be a horrendous waste of money and effort. That mall has ended careers and ruined lives, guaranteed. It's a huge, empty building in a nation with massive homelessness problems. That one in particular is near Pittsburgh; instead of building something productive somebody decided "hey let's build a huge loving mall in the middle of the rust belt!!!" It's seriously exactly the opposite of "helping." It's a shining beacon of everything wrong with America. $200,000,000 could probably have ended homelessness in Pittsburgh and/or put a big, fat dent in the unemployment. It could have cleaned up a gently caress load of problems but nah that's not useful, let's build a mall.

I doubt people will be fetishizing retail work like coal gets. Like was already mentioned there are a poo poo load of coal families that have been doing it for centuries but the other side of it is that retail as we know it just doesn't have as long of a tradition. American culture also fetishizes manly work done by manly men; retail is not that. Coal however is CONQUERING THE EARTH! We are DIGGING OUT ITS RESOURCES!!!! YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH! That is done by manly men with beards and huge arms and pickaxes!!!

...except that it isn't anymore. Machines do it now.

Ayo, the flooring in that place is amazing.

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

When the Soviets produce too many toothbrushes it's because "communism doesn't work" but flush 200 million in capitalist excess and it's "millennials are destroying America".

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/25/business/economy/amazon-retail-jobs-pennsylvania.html

NYTimes posted:

In Towns Already Hit by Steel Mill Closings, a New Casualty: Retail Jobs

Small cities in the Midwest and Northeast are particularly vulnerable. When major industries left town, retail accounted for a growing share of the job market in places like Johnstown, Decatur, Ill., and Saginaw, Mich. Now, the work force is getting hit a second time, and there is little to fall back on.

Moreover, while stores in these places are shedding jobs because of e-commerce, e-commerce isn’t absorbing these workers. Growth in e-commerce jobs like marketing and engineering, while strong, is clustered around larger cities far away. Rural counties and small metropolitan areas account for about 23 percent of traditional American retail employment, but they are home to just 13 percent of e-commerce positions.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Makes you almost wonder why we let corporations rule us so

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The inner harbor project worked, but no one learned its lessons.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Discendo Vox posted:

The inner harbor project worked, but no one learned its lessons.

Did it involve insufficient amounts of capitalism?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The thing about this is, it's just somewhat larger or luckier towns experiencing the cycle that your average small town started experiencing in the 1910s and 1920s, and which had really ramped up by about the 1950s.

With the local population leaving because of small-time farming not really letting you get by (for most of them), or the various local mines and mills and factories slowing work or closing altogether (most of the rest), the customer base that sustained all the local merchants wasn't there anymore. So steadily the retail and services would have to close too, because they were pulling significantly less business.

Amazon doesn't really help things, but the "role" of Amazon, as it were, in those older days was usually played by the stores in the nearest larger town combined with mail-order catalogs for certain things you may have ordered with your small town merchants for delivery. Many of the towns that the NYT here describes as getting hit now, are the towns that were "Amazon" to surrounding small towns in the earl-mid 20th century.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Displaced rural workers of the past two centuries could move into the cities or factory towns, where industrialization was producing tons of lovely, poorly paid, dangerous jobs for the low-skilled laborer.

Where are displaced workers of today supposed to go and what are they to supposed to do when they get there? And how are they going to afford food and shelter while transitioning to whatever it is they're supposed to become?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Six feet below, I guess. This really is horrifying. This and climate change are really a perfect storm of complete civic disasters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

This thread has been mostly about Ameurexa but hey the above poster's point is amplified when you think of China and a lot of Asia. I feel it's going to get very rough.