Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

my dad posted:

the sodomite month

Here's a Russian Orthodox meme.

'Three hypostases: Son - Father - Holy Spirit' 'One God'
'Dmitry Enteo Tries Explain Trinity to Millennials'

Not related to the meme itself, but Dmitry Enteo is a nominally Russian Orthodox 'performance artist' responsible for attacking a bunch of art exhibitions, who also vehemently opposes evolution, gender equality, and is essentially a Evangelical in everything but name and a bunch of quotes from Ihnaty Bryanchaninov, John of Kronshtadt, and occasionally other saints on his social media page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Keromaru5 posted:

I wouldn't know, but when our Metropolitan made one of his rare visits a couple years ago, the kids did a presentation where they read him biographies about their patron saints. I think there were only a couple patrons who didn't die horribly, and that's because they were the Virgin Mary and the Archangel Michael.

being named thomas stanislaus, i have two patron saints both murdered for telling the king not to gently caress around on his wife

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

StashAugustine posted:

being named thomas stanislaus, i have two patron saints both murdered for telling the king not to gently caress around on his wife

Not Catholic so no patron saints, but both my first and middle names were taken from Christian history and the Bible. Both died horribly. :v:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Both my childhood Catholic patron and my current Orthodox one were monks who died of natural causes. Oh well.

*EDIT* Well, okay, one died of ergotism, which is a form of poisoning, but that seems like it might have just been something he ate.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 21, 2017

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My mom was going to name me Clement and I was planning to pass that name on to any future son I may have, but now I'm thinking a name with a more gruesome backstory might be better at keeping them invested in the faith.

Daughters would be Cecil or Margret, so no problems on that front :gibs:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

A preemptive kudos to anyone planning to name their kids Lawrence. "Turn me over. This side's done."

Just be careful about St. Sophia the Martyr and her daughters. The first time I read that it just about ruined my whole day.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Keromaru5 posted:

I wouldn't know, but when our Metropolitan made one of his rare visits a couple years ago, the kids did a presentation where they read him biographies about their patron saints. I think there were only a couple patrons who didn't die horribly, and that's because they were the Virgin Mary and the Archangel Michael.

It's pretty rare to find a pre-Niceaea saint who didn't die a horrible death. Running into them when you are looking up patronage gets weird sometimes.

Oh yeah, patron saint of engaged couples? Meet Saint Agnes, martyred at the age of 13, dragged naked through the streets and raped. Patron saint of breast cancer survivors? Meet Saint Agatha, whose torture at the hands of the Decian persecution for refusing to renounce her faith included having her breasts ripped off with pliers.

Of course, it doesn't get much better when you leave the early church period. Saint Drogo is the patron saint of ugly people. He was so ugly that children lived in mortal fear of him so they built an extension onto the church so he could hear Mass and participate in the Eucharist without people getting out their pitchforks and torches 'cause Frankenstein happened to wander by. St. Catherine of Siena played a huge role in ending the Avignon Papacy and also drank pus from a cancerous tumor as a form of mortification at one point. You hear a lot about the former, but not so much about the latter.

tl;dr: hagiographies are some dark poo poo, suck it joel osteen, this aint your best life now

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

"Patron of those whom others find repulsive."

Saint Drogo, First Among Goons, pray for us.

EDIT: You can always tell it's him in iconography because he's the only saint holding a hand-grenade.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 22, 2017

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Midsummer, wohooo!

Roasted some sausages on open fire, went to sauna (lacked a vihta though), drank some beverages (non-alcoholic kind since I don't drink but I'm sure my countrymen will keep up the consumption of the other kind through the night) and will stay up as long as I want since it's holiday tomorrow. I also have this summer's early potatoes and some fish to go with them so I'm set for the whole weekend.

:finland:

How's stuff in Denmark, Tias?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Currently at Copenhell, a large metal open air festival, and I'm sick because I drowned in a loving monsoon trying to get home :qq:

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Tias posted:

Currently at Copenhell, a large metal open air festival, and I'm sick because I drowned in a loving monsoon trying to get home :qq:

Sounds like Midsummer weather.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtRhivoPrZg

Discuss.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
an anime about demons being exorcised by catholic priests? what's next, one of those priests teaming up with an onmyoji, miko, tv medium, high school girl, and a paranormal investigator to protect people from ghosts?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it's a light novel adaptation so it's probably garbage no matter what it's about

pretty backgrounds, though

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Looks good. Hoping for mad homosexual tension. Churches could be more opulent.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Eh. Trinity Blood was about a Catholic super-vampire named after Kresnik, a Christ-like figure from South Slavic pagan mythology, hunting vampires on behalf of the teenage Pope and the Vatican, a global superpower that directly controls half the globe.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
okay i am killing myself trying to figure out what the gently caress these characters names are

on the plus side i now know the word for archbishop (and by extension bishop) and now i just learned the word for priest. my catholic vocabulary in japanese is accelerating by magnitudes

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Anime is bad, imo.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senju Kannon posted:

okay i am killing myself trying to figure out what the gently caress these characters names are

on the plus side i now know the word for archbishop (and by extension bishop) and now i just learned the word for priest. my catholic vocabulary in japanese is accelerating by magnitudes

and now i know the word for miracle, my catholic vocabulary has sextupled

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's a light novel adaptation so it's probably garbage no matter what it's about

pretty backgrounds, though

wasnt edge of tommorrow a light novel? that movie owned

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Those were some pretty scenes of cartoon Vatican City.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I've been meaning to ask this for a few days now but the sex talk kind of...well, it made me feel like I should wait for a lull in the conversation.

Are there any Unitarians in here? If not, what are your views on Unitarianism?

I've been watching debates on YT about the Trinity and it's pretty interesting. Christianity has so many interpretations about Jesus and God and I doubt I'll ever be able to fully scrutinize them all.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

NikkolasKing posted:

So I've been meaning to ask this for a few days now but the sex talk kind of...well, it made me feel like I should wait for a lull in the conversation.

I've been watching debates on YT about the Trinity and it's pretty interesting. Christianity has so many interpretations about Jesus and God and I doubt I'll ever be able to fully scrutinize them all.

unitarians aren't christians

or do you mean non unitarian universalists? i say unitarians aren't christian because that was something my unitarian classmates made sure to mention constantly in seminary classes

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Senju Kannon posted:

unitarians aren't christians

or do you mean non unitarian universalists? i say unitarians aren't christian because that was something my unitarian classmates made sure to mention constantly in seminary classes

I've seen some UU's who consider themselves Christians but I mostly meant anyone who doesn't believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit all being one being. They maybe deny Christ was "pre-existing" and such.

It's a very broad spectrum of beliefs, but the Trinity is pretty central to the modern orthodoxy so even while all the non-orthodox Christians might be wildly different overall, they are similar in rejecting the Trinity. But does that make them non-Christians?

Here's one debate I really enjoyed with some pretty scholarly folks engaging in it:
https://youtu.be/kYhaH0ftujI

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I was baptized in the name of the trinitarian God, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and I continue to believe in my indelible baptism.

This year, though, I've been approached by two groups of nontrinitarians: Two Mormons and two Jehovah's Witnesses. I've taken the time to listen to them without prejudice (the Jehovah's Witnesses were much better at keeping in contact). I respect that we have radical similarities and radical differences, but I found nothing they said to cause a hostile reaction from me. If anyone asks for my testimony, I will say that I think of them as Christian brothers, and it would surprise me if it proved they were never immersed in the Holy Spirit by sole virtue of their church.

But I'll let the Vatican coneheads (no disrespect) judge that matter on Earth, and I await the clarity of the life after the resurrection of the body.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I've seen some UU's who consider themselves Christians but I mostly meant anyone who doesn't believe in the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit all being one being. They maybe deny Christ was "pre-existing" and such.

It's a very broad spectrum of beliefs, but the Trinity is pretty central to the modern orthodoxy so even while all the non-orthodox Christians might be wildly different overall, they are similar in rejecting the Trinity. But does that make them non-Christians?

It makes them whatever they want to call themselves.

UU seems to be largely "church for agnostics." They're not doing me any harm, so I let them be.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
putting us right back on sex chat,
here's an article i just saw in the lgbt thread in dnd

a quote;

quote:

Paprocki's decree bans priests and parish staff from performing same-sex marriages or allowing same-sex weddings or receptions at any Catholic facilities. People in same-sex marriages "should not present themselves for Holy Communion, nor should they be admitted to Holy Communion." A person in a same-sex marriage who is facing death may only receive communion after expressing "repentance for his or her sins."

Finally, Paprocki writes that "unless they have given some signs of repentance before their death," people in same-sex marriages may not receive a Catholic funeral.
this makes me think of the jesuits in rome giving a transgender girl who died while homeless on the streets of rome a catholic funeral, and they referred to her as a woman. now there's something to be said about "not being recognized for who you are until you die," but i don't think any of us can deny that this is a better witness for christ than this bishop refusing to even bury gay catholics who leave behind widowers or widows

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Mmhmm, I'd have to agree with that.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Deteriorata posted:

It makes them whatever they want to call themselves.

UU seems to be largely "church for agnostics." They're not doing me any harm, so I let them be.

The only thing that bothers me is when they try to claim any moral authority given their entire structure is "eh, whatever"

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Non trinitarian Christians might sometimes have fair enough interpretations of scripture but they are always rear end holes so I tend to assume they are also wrong

Caufman
May 7, 2007
They might think I'm an apostate Christian, but they might not be wrong, either.

Whereas two guys threw a bottle at me on the freeway, straining my ability to recognize myself in them, and they were dressed like trinitarians...

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

NikkolasKing posted:

If you follow the Orthodox Trinitarian view, then Jesus' life was a unique event and the Church he founded is a unique institution with the unique mission to save souls. If there are deep problems with the Church (and there definitely are) then we need to reform it, because it is our only lifeboat on a ship that's going down with all hands.

If Jesus was just a human, then Christianity was built on sand. If you don't believe that the Church was divinely founded by the unique incarnation of God, then why bother to try and reform it, when it is unarguably rotten to the core?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Caufman posted:

they were dressed like trinitarians...

They were wearing a three piece suit and said it was really only one suit?

[That's terrible that happened to you, I'm very sorry.]

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mr Enderby posted:

If you follow the Orthodox Trinitarian view, then Jesus' life was a unique event and the Church he founded is a unique institution with the unique mission to save souls. If there are deep problems with the Church (and there definitely are) then we need to reform it, because it is our only lifeboat on a ship that's going down with all hands.

If Jesus was just a human, then Christianity was built on sand. If you don't believe that the Church was divinely founded by the unique incarnation of God, then why bother to try and reform it, when it is unarguably rotten to the core?

I mean this depends upon taking it as a given that a human-created (or transmitted?) religion/church/faith can only be rotten to the core. This depends upon viewing humans as inherently corrupt, inherently fallible, etc. There are many humanists who I'm sure would argue that a religion based on a founder's humanity would be more pure than superstitious "divine revelation."

Bear in mind I'm playing devil's advocate here.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
Non-Trinitarian Christians, as far as I'm concerned, are just those who lack the courage to see their convictions through, which would entail converting to Judaism or, more likely, Islam.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
This thread sure took an absolutist turn the last couple weeks.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I did the sound for a show that was being held in a unitarian universalist hall. I wasn't very impressed. It was like the modern commodification and equivocation of religion given form. This wimpy, pathetic "everyone is riiiiight, maaaan" hippy nonsense combined with the dilution of christianity into its least possibly contentious, least challenging or demanding form.

I wouldn't call it a church for agnostics so much as a church for those who have no desire to believe in anything because it might cause discomfort.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I think that there's a strongly Pelagian undercurrent to the UU culture that I've been exposed to, in the sense that we're all on an individual journey and that we have to find truth for ourselves through our own journeying. And that exposure to literature is as valuable to discovering what is divine as much as scripture. It's essentially a more optimistic view of man's ability to discover the divine, perhaps.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

cis autodrag posted:

This thread sure took an absolutist turn the last couple weeks.

it's almost like this is a christianity thread and no matter how open and affirming your christianity is, or how interreligious your being religious is, when you identify as a member of a religion there are some truths that are absolute and cannot be compromised on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Non-Trinitarian Christians, as far as I'm concerned, are just those who lack the courage to see their convictions through, which would entail converting to Judaism or, more likely, Islam.

More often, I'd argue, it's just that theology isn't very important to that individual or group. For groups it would be a problem in itself but for individuals not so much.

• Locked thread