Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Kokoro Wish posted:

personally despise PoE's focus on ladders and the needless complexity of it's skill system.

I generally like to work out my own way through skill systems and stuff but with PoE i just went "nah gently caress it" and looked up guides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Thank you all very kindly. My throne of piss and mustard will be where I sit for my days.

On a separate note, and I'm asking this out of curiosity since just about all of us love ARPGs of all shapes and sizes: Anybody going to be playing Diablo 3 since the Necromancer comes out next week? or The super huge expansion of Path of Exile drops next month...anybody looking to put some time in there?

I ask because our community rules and a yellow man never abandons his men and woman. With some cool ARPG additions ahead, just wanted to see if anybody was going to play some other ARPGs for awhile.

Have been dipping my toes into POE over the last couple weeks. Just got into Act 4 last night. I've never gotten into it in the past but I'm really trying now because there's really nothing else to play. The early levels blow but it's really starting to pick up now. Game is incredibly overwhelming.

Have also been playing Grim Dawn and it's fantastic. The multiplayer is a bit meh but it is a great game. A bit more my style than POE

Will probably end up picking up the necromancer pack in D3 but I have no idea how long I will play it since we'll be doing the same poo poo that we've been doing for the past however many seasons now.

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Kokoro Wish posted:

personally despise PoE's focus on ladders and the needless complexity of it's skill system.

The skill system isnt even complex, it's just completely sloppy and disorganized and boring.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
a bunch of blind mother fuckers ITT. But you guys eat at sheetz so you probably don't even look at the food you eat.

Edit: They're also updating graphics as they go also. Act 1 has been updated with better visuals and the water now looks really good. The later acts 6-10 look good as well. If you still think it looks like diablo 2 you're just doing poes law at this point.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 23, 2017

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

jubelio posted:

The skill system isnt even complex, it's just completely sloppy and disorganized and boring.

the skill tree is like a 1:1 scale map of the world

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68

Holyshoot posted:

a bunch of blind mother fuckers ITT. But you guys eat at sheetz so you probably don't even look at the food you eat.

Edit: They're also updating graphics as they go also. Act 1 has been updated with better visuals and the water now looks really good. The later acts 6-10 look good as well. If you still think it looks like diablo 2 you're just doing poes law at this point.

PoE's Law = man must run with human fecal matter in pantaloon

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gibbering Madness posted:

PoE's Law = man must run with human fecal matter in pantaloon

What's marvel heroes law? Because you guys move slower then poe players who are at end game.

MH Law = Man must become yellow because that's our only content.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

MH's biggest fault they ever did: Not including a Steam achievement for logging in.

My god, I would have loved to see the cheev pop up in the lower right, congratulating me for completing a monumental task.

It would have also given me a good laugh.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

jubelio posted:

Hence the "Needless" part. It's even worse than the old Omega system, in that it's even more granular for no reason.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Got 50 heroes on MH now, 10 of them still level 1. Kind of getting tired of MH again but im sure I will enjoy it for a few weeks again when the Omega stuff comes out. I went to try PoE again and remembered i deleted literally everything off my account, making it a little daunting.

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

At least the d2 remaster will bring us all together again

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I'd rather a remake of Diablo 1, with a systems update. I always like the scale and atmosphere of that one more.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

On the quest to unite the community and uproot to new game:

So, I saw Guild Wars 2 will have a new expansion this fall and as a guy who played it on release and hasn't played it in years, what's the current status on this game from anybody who has played it VERY recently? I saw it also is F2P now with a buy option if you have $10.

Also, I'm a big Warframe fan. Love it on console and it's completely F2P. It's just, well, not very ARPG but I'd still love to play with you all!

Just throwing suggestions out and seeking opinions and feedback.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone left you for FF14.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone left you for FF14.

Subscription model GROSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So did artifacts completely stop dropping? If not, how the hell do I get them to drop? I'm running a zillion boosts and literally the only ones I've gotten since I popped back in for the anniversary event are ones from the orange boxes and maybe one from a mystic mayhem coffer. Hell, I got some random legendary I've never heard of (a Shard of the Dark Dimension) to drop and no artifacts.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

So, I saw Guild Wars 2 will have a new expansion this fall and as a guy who played it on release and hasn't played it in years, what's the current status on this game from anybody who has played it VERY recently? I saw it also is F2P now with a buy option if you have $10.

Also, I'm a big Warframe fan. Love it on console and it's completely F2P. It's just, well, not very ARPG but I'd still love to play with you all!

it's basically a completely different game from launch with the amount of small overhauls they've been constantly doing since launch. they merged all the server/zones so it feels pretty active all the time.

did they set a hard date for the omega patch already?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I played gw2 last week for the first time since release and I wouldn't really say it's that different. At least at the lower levels. Judging by my old char level I got bored at the exact same time as before, level 34. I'm not sure what it is but that game just doesn't do it for me.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

malkav11 posted:

So did artifacts completely stop dropping? If not, how the hell do I get them to drop? I'm running a zillion boosts and literally the only ones I've gotten since I popped back in for the anniversary event are ones from the orange boxes and maybe one from a mystic mayhem coffer. Hell, I got some random legendary I've never heard of (a Shard of the Dark Dimension) to drop and no artifacts.

There's lots of options for low-level artifacts - you buy them from Clea, craft them, buy a box, get a few from white-prestige story rewards, and I think you can get some from shield boost boxes. But they don't really seem to drop anymore other than a few 50s-level ones.

madcow
Mar 20, 2006

GW2 is ok to play when you have literally nothing else you feel like playing. The end game gets stale rather quickly, in my experience. They just replaced the traditional level/item grind with other types of grinds.

I will probably check out PoE again once the expansion hits, but I always run out of steam shortly after getting to the point of grinding maps.

madcow fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 24, 2017

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Just a note if anyone does want to go legit after trying GW2 F2P, if you wait until the next expansion goes up for preorder and buy that you should get upgraded to the full version of the base game and get both the new and old expansions as well assuming Anet holds to their business model of 'buy the new boxed release or it's digital equiv and get all the old ones as well'.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

Subscription model GROSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Do it! It's worth it!

I tried gw2 a couple times. Never hooked me. I think I'm too used to the Holy trinity. However I hear they fixed a lot of the bad in the current xpac

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Good stuff - https://forums.marvelheroesomega.com/discussion/3919/improvements-to-loot-boxes-and-costume-changes-coming-soon

No more buying costumes with G's on console, all come from loot boxes on a rotating supply.

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

So not only are costumes going to be time gated but they will also be gambling rewards only? Am I reading that right?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Fortune Cards are content according to gaz so we should welcome this change imo.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

nostrata posted:

So not only are costumes going to be time gated but they will also be gambling rewards only? Am I reading that right?
Apparently you'll receive loot boxes when reaching certain character levels ("players will earn one-time boxes at 5, 12, 15 and 30, then one box for every level 60"), and "from time to time, we'll put certain individual costumes on the store for you to purchase a la carte", but generally speaking…yes. The OW model.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i dunno if im bein a grognard here but that sounds bad

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

punchymcpunch posted:

i dunno if im bein a grognard here but that sounds bad

Sounds bad to me too, are they going full overwatch and you can buy the boxes and hope? I think Overwatch is a good game but the way they handle skins and stuff is loving awful.

edit: As an aside, the minimum balance you can add to your battlenet being £9 is loving bullshit too.

Kea fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 25, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

More randomness in microtransactions stokes that gambling flame, mmm yeah pack that skinner box tight with endorphins

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

McSpanky posted:

More randomness in microtransactions stokes that gambling flame, mmm yeah pack that skinner box tight with endolphins

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I'm looking to try this game (again), after messing about with a few characters.
Due to all the changes, I'd like a fresh start, but most of my heroes that are still level 1 seem pretty boring.
Am I making a mistake by picking either;
-Venom
-Cable
-Iron Man
-Magik

I have Hulk, Ghost Rider, Magneto, Punisher, and Spiderman ranging between 20 and 54, but I'd rather pick one up once I'm comfortable again.
I liked Ghost Rider and Magneto a lot, last I've played.
Don't have enough splinters to buy one, so buying G is my only option right?

Also, the limited stash I have is so full of runes, potions, cake, candy and random crafting stuff.
Is there a point to keeping sub max level stuff in this game? It's really annoying.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Acht posted:

I'm looking to try this game (again), after messing about with a few characters.
Due to all the changes, I'd like a fresh start, but most of my heroes that are still level 1 seem pretty boring.
Am I making a mistake by picking either;
-Venom
-Cable
-Iron Man
-Magik

I have Hulk, Ghost Rider, Magneto, Punisher, and Spiderman ranging between 20 and 54, but I'd rather pick one up once I'm comfortable again.
I liked Ghost Rider and Magneto a lot, last I've played.
Don't have enough splinters to buy one, so buying G is my only option right?

Also, the limited stash I have is so full of runes, potions, cake, candy and random crafting stuff.
Is there a point to keeping sub max level stuff in this game? It's really annoying.

Ironman and Magik are good picks. Cable is a bit mediocre. Venom will get reworked soon(lol).

Yes buying G is your only option if you don't have enough splinters. Or just play one of the current heroes you have until you get enough splinters. All your current heroes are good. I don't know when the last time you played the game was, but you can respec freely now so there is no reason not to play one of the chars you own unless you just don't like them.

You can sell everything that isn't max level. Keep crafting stuff though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 25, 2017

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ironman and Magik are good picks. Cable is a bit mediocre. Venom will get reworked soon(lol).

Yes buying G is your only option if you don't have enough splinters. Or just play one of the current heroes you have until you get enough splinters. All your current heroes are good.

You can sell everything that isn't max level. Keep crafting stuff though.

Thanks a lot!
I'll try out Magik and Ironman to level 10 and get one of them.

Another question; I keep getting showered with all kinds of boxes. Are there any I need to keep an eye out for at low level, or just pop them all when I get them?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Acht posted:

Thanks a lot!
I'll try out Magik and Ironman to level 10 and get one of them.

Another question; I keep getting showered with all kinds of boxes. Are there any I need to keep an eye out for at low level, or just pop them all when I get them?

Just use them

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Why do I keep getting level 60 uniques at level 8? Do I just save them? This is all pretty weird.
Iron Man is fun though, hah.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Acht posted:

Why do I keep getting level 60 uniques at level 8? Do I just save them? This is all pretty weird.
Iron Man is fun though, hah.

This is PC advice so if you play console this might be wrong. Dont keep specific hero uniques, hundreds will drop when you hit 60. If you collect 365 cake slices you can trade that amount in TWICE for a crate of 500 Eternity splinters.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD

Kea posted:

This is PC advice so if you play console this might be wrong. Dont keep specific hero uniques, hundreds will drop when you hit 60. If you collect 365 cake slices you can trade that amount in TWICE for a crate of 500 Eternity splinters.

Most of my lvl 60 uniques are not specific. Do I save those?
Just noticed I have 566 slices of cake; I can get 1.000 splinters with those?!
That'd be amazing to get the specific heroes!

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Acht posted:

Most of my lvl 60 uniques are not specific. Do I save those?
Just noticed I have 566 slices of cake; I can get 1.000 splinters with those?!
That'd be amazing to get the specific heroes!

Well you'd would need 365 x 2 to get the full 1000 ES but yes. Many of the "any hero" uniques are also trash, you learn whats good to keep but a quick tip is go to http://marvelheroes.info/items/uniques/ and check how many builds the item is used in, will give you an idea if you should keep it or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
That's a handy link, thanks!
I'll keep saving those slices; maybe I'll reach the amount twice, but even the 500 is perfect, so I can get Iron Man unlocked.