Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If people are going to talk about aesthetic continuity, I'd like to see some visual aids, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

FlamingLiberal posted:

It does not fit aesthetically at all with the universe.

It's on the retro-future metropolis planet though.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Electromax posted:

I think it's only lunacy because they didn't do it before 1983.
You're right. It was 1987.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Robot Style posted:

You're right. It was 1987.

Holy poo poo, I never noticed that they snuck the Millennium Falcon into that shot!!!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Is the flying saucer at middle right from a film? It's not quite the ship from the Day the Earth Stood still, but it looks like it might be from something.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

FlamingLiberal posted:

It does not fit aesthetically at all with the universe.

But characters portrayed by puppets do?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What about when our hero is ceremoniously told to walk the plank off a pirate ship like Errol Flynn, is that aesthetically consistent with everything that came before? Seems a little on-the-nose, what with the menagerie of pirates, portholes, cannons, sails, rope swings, a damsel in distress, a mythic squid, sword fights, etc.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 24, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hey, if you disagree about my comments on the aesthetics in Attack Of The Clones, that's cool. I may not agree with you, but I'll respect your right to defend an alien wearing dockers and a K-Mart special t-shirt till the dewbacks come home.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

thrawn527 posted:

This is largely borrowed from an article I read a while back, but I'll try. Rey is a fan of the original characters. She reveres them, even if she see Luke as a myth. She's heard of Han Solo and the Millennium Falcon, remembering him mainly as the smuggler. She lives in an abandoned AT-AT, literally sitting in the shadow of a symbol of the most popular Star Wars movie, wearing a Rebel pilot helmet for no reason other than she thinks it's fun. She clearly looks up to the characters and actions of the original trilogy, which you can see clearly in the look of utter joy when Luke or Han first come up. She's a metaphor for the fans who want to revisit the old stories, play with their toys, and not move on. But her story is realizing that she is in her own story, and embracing that.

She's also the female Star Wars fan, who just wants to have meet her heroes and share her fandom. But the old ugly fandom is trying to control her. Which leads us to...

Kylo Ren is the kind of fan who worships Darth Vader and the Dark Side, completely ignoring that they're the bad guys, and that he's learned all of the wrong lessons. He's a surface level fan, obsessed with the aesthetic, not the meaning behind it. People who think Darth Vader is a total "badass". Who cosplay as a Sith member, or sometimes as Vader himself. He's shunned all connections to other people, even his family. His fandom of the Dark Side is the most important thing ever, and he wants to be as "good" as Vader. He also embodies the entitlement fans can have. He feels entitled to being able to recreate what Vader had, even if he is also sometimes overcome with a lack of self confidence. He's a cosplayer and a collector. Vader wore the mask because he had to. Kylo wears the mask to be more like Vader.

He's also angry that things aren't just working out for him. He wants to recreate Vader's story and it isn't working. Maybe if he just got that one last collectible lightsaber... And while Star Wars is moving forward with new stories and new characters, Kylo Ren is the white guy who just wants things to be like they were before. He's the angry fan, who'd be in the "Bring Back Legends!" Facebook group.

In fact, the whole First Order is a stand in for cosplayers. They might as well be called the 501st, though that would be insulting because at least they do lots of good charity work. But they have created costumes and ships that look extremely similar to the Empire. They worship the Empire, trying to be more like them. They're the Empires biggest fans.

Where they go with this moving forward, I'm not sure. Maybe it'll just be what The Force Awakens is about. But I hope they build on it.

I thought the First Order was supposed to be like the modern Republican Party that is rallying behind Trump to try and recreate the Reagan era.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Fart City posted:

Hey, if you disagree about my comments on the aesthetics in Attack Of The Clones, that's cool. I may not agree with you, but I'll respect your right to defend an alien wearing dockers and a K-Mart special t-shirt till the dewbacks come home.

I hear ya bro. I mean look at this fuckin K-Mart Muscle Shirt:

And these cargo pants straight out of 1996:

NOT MY STAR WARS

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

UmOk posted:

I hear ya bro. I mean look at this fuckin K-Mart Muscle Shirt:

And these cargo pants straight out of 1996:

NOT MY STAR WARS

(insert a CGI Yoda pantomiming the words "my dude, but" in slow motion over 'Duel Of The Fates'.)

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Star wars has a variety of styles, you see, that's why nothing can ever be out of place in it. It is Perfect.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm just glad Han went back to the vest after the jacket in ESB. The vest rocked.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mr President posted:

I thought the First Order was supposed to be like the modern Republican Party that is rallying behind Trump to try and recreate the Reagan era.

I'm not sure Trump had even announced his candidacy yet when they finished filming.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I'm not sure Trump had even announced his candidacy yet when they finished filming.

Force Awakens wrapped in November 2014 with some minor reshoots (mostly just pickups and insert shots) done in June and July 2015; Trump announced in June 2015.

So, yeah, the movie was effectively done (outside of editing, I think Abrams said he was re-cutting the movie well into November) by the time he hit the trail.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tender Bender posted:

Star wars has a variety of styles, you see, that's why nothing can ever be out of place in it. It is Perfect.

This is unironically correct because it's a space fantasy that takes place across a galaxy's worth of planets and societies. The diner scene is stupid because it's awkwardly written to fit a lot of subplot and implications about the universe in a short dialogue, not because it evokes 50s Americana.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
A shifty, filthy bar full of crooks and outlaws is a more universal image than a 50's American diner so I think that's why a lot of people rightfully think it's stupid

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Calaveron posted:

A shifty, filthy bar full of crooks and outlaws is a more universal image than a 50's American diner so I think that's why a lot of people rightfully think it's stupid

A New Hope was sort of good but had some stupid stuff that didn't fit. I mean they're in space with lasers but then they walk into a wild west saloon?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Calaveron posted:

Honestly, from personal experience, I have seen way more 50's diners in the universe than bars full of crooks and outlaws.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Gawd! Why did they use imagery that has cultural signifigance in their own nation for a movie primarily made for their own movie? Don't they realize it's a Space movie?

Now let's all oogle about the famous character whose based on Japanese Samurai.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Covok posted:

Gawd! Why did they use imagery that has cultural signifigance in their own nation for a movie primarily made for their own movie? Don't they realize it's a Space movie?

Now let's all oogle about the famous character whose based on Japanese Samurai.

Adding to this, Star Wars was born in the 70s, before "sci-fi" as we'd call it now really existed and the genres of "fantasy" and "sci-fi" weren't as separate as we consider them now (especially in literature). It being a mish-mash of martial arts junk food philosophy and cowboys and space wizards and treacherous warlords and pastiches of urban and rural societies from whatever legendary takes on human history is literally what Star Wars is was born from and what it is. And something I've always respected about the movies is how they managed to keep the sensibility of the European comics/etc. that inspired it intact despite the decades of time between trilogies.

American sci-fi of the time especially, hell even nerd stuff like Dungeons & Dragons, or computer games like Wizardry, reveled in that mix of magical fantasy settings that include high technology, and you see it even in some of the earliest US examples like the John Carter stories. The idea that a sci-fi setting can't literally have whatever the gently caress anyone thinks would look cool just because in it is very recent.

A lot of that notion of what would be "appropriate" in movies in these genres I would think comes down to the realities of budget and what locations/sets/etc. are feasible. Like you know the movie The Beastmaster? The novel it's based on is a road trip across the US with an indigenous protagonist with a laser rifle and the ability to telepathically converse with animals cruising from place to place avoiding the US' fascist rule and surviving off the the rotting skeletons of decaying urban centers.

The Conan the Barbarian movie was originally going to be just about the same movie but set in a post-apocalyptic US with mutants instead of snake cultists. Everything else was about the same, how loving nuts would that have been (what we got is one of my favorite movies ever but still).

Like you should all watch the movie Krull, it's from 1983 but it's a great cinematic depiction of the "sci-fi" aesthetic seen in plenty of comics/books/etc. up to that point. And even it began life as an official Dungeons & Dragons movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 24, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

Adding to this, Star Wars was born in the 70s, before "sci-fi" as we'd call it now really existed and the genres of "fantasy" and "sci-fi" weren't as separate as we consider them now (especially in literature). It being a mish-mash of martial arts junk food philosophy and cowboys and space wizards and treacherous warlords and pastiches of urban and rural societies from whatever legendary takes on human history is literally what Star Wars is was born from and what it is. And something I've always respected about the movies is how they managed to keep that sensibility intact despite the decades of time between trilogies.

American sci-fi of the time especially, hell even nerd stuff like Dungeons & Dragons, or computer games like Wizardry, reveled in that mix of magical fantasy settings that include high technology, and you see it even in some of the earliest US examples like the John Carter stories. The idea that a sci-fi setting can't literally have whatever the gently caress anyone thinks would look cool just because in it is very recent.

As a Trad gamer that mindset came from really douchey nerds who just had to be all Superior and smug. The division is arbitrary dumb and hurts the most fun parts of the genre. In short blame nerds.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Covok posted:

As a Trad gamer that mindset came from really douchey nerds who just had to be all Superior and smug. The division is arbitrary dumb and hurts the most fun parts of the genre. In short blame nerds.

Covok
May 27, 2013

This is totally left field here, but I always felt the same people who absolutely needed science fiction and fantasy to be separate are the same people who need superheroes to be objective. You know those guys who are like " if you read Amazing Fantasy 15 you'll see that Spiderman is actually only this powerful and therefore you always lose a fight against the Hulk. And whenever they show him beating the Hulk it's stupid. For that matter Thor is really the most powerful character because blah blah blah."

I think you get the point people who are so unimaginative and boring that they can't stand the idea of a good story and must have everything as scientific and dry as possible. For no reason more then so they can feel smug and Superior because they are the only ones who understand things in minut detail.

The same people who write fantasy and science fiction genre fiction where 99% of the book is world-building and only 1% is actually readable.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The diner scene is jarring and out of place of course but I dig the Williams track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpecPKuUYnE

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yaws posted:

The diner scene is jarring and out of place of course but I dig the Williams track:

While some of it was removed from Return of the Jedi for "Jedi Rocks," I liked how much this track resembled the music that's played in Jabba's lair and when they're on the ship later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfcg7BfsM90

It owns.

People want to talk about stuff in Star Wars that's stupid but actually awesome? "Jizz Wailer" is a valid career name.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yaws posted:

This poo poo is hilarious oh my god

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The best prequels soundtrack thing is still everyone that looked at/bought Phantom Menace soundtrack getting the ending spoiled a month before the movie came out because it has a track titled "Death of Qui-Gonn."

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Regarding the cantina being some totally alien thing that would never reference Americana:

George Lucas, on the inspiration for the Cantina Band posted:

Can you imagine several creatures in a future century finding some 1930s Benny Goodman swing band music in a time capsule or under a rock someplace - and how they might attempt to interpret it?
Of course, forty years later nobody even thinks of it in terms of its inspirations, it's just the Cantina Band from Star Wars now. Just like samurai, WWII dogfighting, Western gunslingers, Flash Gordon, and all those other things that went into Star Wars are now just their own Star Warsy thing. So when a new element like a 50s diner gets added into the picture, it's just wrong because Star Wars isn't a mish-mash of influences and references into a strangely coherent whole anymore, it's now a defined setting with a limited set of things that we've decided Star Wars is allowed to have. 50s diners weren't in that original plan, so they're not acceptable.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I think the 50's diner thing is just a little too on-the-nose in AotC and it's not woven into the movie particularly well.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Covok posted:

The same people who write fantasy and science fiction genre fiction where 99% of the book is world-building and only 1% is actually readable.

Pretty much all fantasy novels are like this. I would say at least 99%.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord Hydronium posted:

Regarding the cantina being some totally alien thing that would never reference Americana:

Of course, forty years later nobody even thinks of it in terms of its inspirations, it's just the Cantina Band from Star Wars now. Just like samurai, WWII dogfighting, Western gunslingers, Flash Gordon, and all those other things that went into Star Wars are now just their own Star Warsy thing. So when a new element like a 50s diner gets added into the picture, it's just wrong because Star Wars isn't a mish-mash of influences and references into a strangely coherent whole anymore, it's now a defined setting with a limited set of things that we've decided Star Wars is allowed to have. 50s diners weren't in that original plan, so they're not acceptable.

The problem with this argument is that the Cantina band certainly references the classic swing band, but it's visually distinct enough, from the instruments to the outfits to the sound that it doesn't feel like a direct reference. It's similar to the uncanny valley, in that while we are familiar with it subconsciously, it doesn't surface in a conscious level acknowledgement that it's a reference to vintage swing bands - some guy in a prop shop got told to kitbash some fake alien instruments together, they don't have to make sound, and it is clearly alien and unfamiliar to the audience.

In AOTC, "Dex's Diner" is directly lifting the visuals from 50's diners and not altering them far enough that it forces the audience to stop and acknowledge that this is a 50's diner shoehorned in a way that doesn't work because Star Wars takes place... in a galaxy far far away. In the bar where we meet Han and Chewbacca in A New Hope we see that it's a bar, but it could be basically any bar. And it has it's own weirdness that makes the audience feel a sense of unfamiliarity and distance from the setting - a dirty, yet technologically advanced future with all the shady elements one would expect on the fringes of the galaxy. From the cups to the jet engine thing to the blue milk, it's all weird and fantastical enough that while we see it as a bar, we don't see it as a specific bar anyone would be familiar with on Planet Earth - and I have drank in some lovely loving dives around the globe, let me tell you.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

It's fairly different from 50's diners, it's clearly not segregated for one thing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Veshpo posted:

It's fairly different from 50's diners, it's clearly not segregated for one thing.

Doesn't stop Obiwan and Dexter from mocking a minority.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yaws posted:

I think the 50's diner thing is just a little too on-the-nose in AotC and it's not woven into the movie particularly well.

Exactly. The idea of a 50's diner being used as inspiration is fine. The execution is clumsy and lazy.

A lot of ya'll seem to be basing your praise for the prequels on the mentality that symbolism or references are automatically good just because they exist.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
By this same ridiculous logic, Star Wars has always been 'sloppy' because it employed human actors instead of being a properly alien all-Muppet film a la Dark Crystal.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

By this same ridiculous logic, Star Wars has always been 'sloppy' because it employed human actors instead of being a properly alien all-Muppet film a la Dark Crystal.

How does me thinking a scene is lazy independent of its inspirational source match up with that logic at all?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tender Bender posted:

How does me thinking a scene is lazy independent of its inspirational source match up with that logic at all?

Well first of all, because you misunderstand things in terms of 'effort' and 'laziness'.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well first of all, because you misunderstand things in terms of 'effort' and 'laziness'.

What adjective could I use to describe a lovely scene that would not be turned around to say that I just don't understand it?

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tender Bender posted:

What adjective could I use to describe a lovely scene that would not be turned around to say that I just don't understand it?

You seem to be under the impression that 'they' tried to conceal the American Graffiti reference (to what end?), but failed due to sleepiness.

• Locked thread