Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fados posted:

Why did she have to address Carlgon personally instead of let's say point out of his videos actually contribute to cyber abuse. I guess that would've been a much greater ownage of the rationals to me, to point them out to their faces in detail how they are fact, garbage humans. It feels a lot less useful to just state it directly. About the point of swaying people, yeah well I'll drop it because who cares about this internet drama anyway. It just reminds me of the "Deplorables" style of activist/public discourse which I think is counterproductive, even if in this specific case I know she probably has a personal moral right to do it.

She j-- wait sorry breaking news.

:thunk:

So looks like she did raise it in the context of harassment.

Your retort, please, M. Fados?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
Yeah I get that they all sat there because they wanted to get a rise out of her, so it did function as type of harassment in some way given the history.

But unless there is a restraining order I'm not aware or that he was being disruptive in any way besides the fact of his very presence, he had formal right to be there with his shitlord friend. It doesn't really change much imo in terms of the optics.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fados posted:

Yeah I get that they all sat there because they wanted to get a rise out of her, so it did function as type of harassment in some way given the history.

But unless there is a restraining order I'm not aware or that he was being disruptive in any way besides the fact of his very presence, he had formal right to be there with his shitlord friend. It doesn't really change much imo in terms of the optics.

"He"

That video specifically describes that there were three rows of them in a bloc on the front rows.

Do you seriously think that isn't intended to intimidate?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If you're talking about harassment why not use the guy whose stalked you for literal years as an example?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

If you're talking about harassment why not use the guy whose stalked you for literal years as an example?

She specifically does in the first 30 seconds of that video.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Fados posted:

She was using him as an example and not having him thrown out. And passive presence can definitely qualify as intimation and harassment if the purpose of the person's mere presence is to disrupt and intimidate, which multiple of Sargon's cohorts cop to in that video.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

business hammocks posted:

She was using him as an example and not having him thrown out.
She used him as an example of a guy who pops when you google her name that makes a ton of videos saying the 'same poo poo' about her, and then at the end she says the quip. I mean it's true enough but it isn't hugely enlightening about the whole cyber abuse thing.

Anyways is there even a video of the whole panel talk? I can only find reaction videos from rationals.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just want to point out that a few short months ago, Sargon took a picture of a woman for the "crime" of wearing a shirt that said Feminist. It had the name of her workplace in it and people also know where Carl lives so that narrows it down even more. So we all can guess what happensed, even if you don't know the story.

Carl also pretty much threatened a member of parliament.

The guy is a proven menace to any woman who disagrees with him. Calling him out is perfectly 100% justified.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fados posted:

do you think when those oathkeeper types stand outside mosques with assault rifles it's intimidation? they have a right to be there and openly carry weapons after all.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Calling him out is perfectly 100% justified.

I agree, and I'll abstain from this tired point, but I'm just saying that for example repeating precisely what you just said in this post would be a lot better for me than just insulting him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

calling someone a "garbage human" after all she's had to face shows superhuman restraint.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NikkolasKing posted:

I just want to point out that a few short months ago, Sargon took a picture of a woman for the "crime" of wearing a shirt that said Feminist. It had the name of her workplace in it and people also know where Carl lives so that narrows it down even more. So we all can guess what happensed, even if you don't know the story.

Carl also pretty much threatened a member of parliament.

The guy is a proven menace to any woman who disagrees with him. Calling him out is perfectly 100% justified.

Groovelord Neato posted:

calling someone a "garbage human" after all she's had to face shows superhuman restraint.

this. i would have said alot more hurtful poo poo if i had been her. carl probaly would thrown himself under a bus if i were her.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Man I can't believe Anita didn't ask Carl to marry her, what a bitch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He is a garbage human.

He is what the word "wasteman" was invented to describe.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

He is a garbage human.

He is what the word "wasteman" was invented to describe.

He's such a sheltered baby I bet he doesn't know wasteman doesn't mean a binman.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

do you think when those oathkeeper types stand outside mosques with assault rifles it's intimidation? they have a right to be there and openly carry weapons after all.

Well if you imagine that the potential target of intimidation would start verbally abusing the oathkeepers within earshot of a police officer, depending on the country, he could be, although unlikely, detained yes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fados posted:

Well if you imagine that the potential target of intimidation would start verbally abusing the oathkeepers within earshot of a police officer, depending on the country, he could be, although unlikely, detained yes.

So have you like

never heard of the Constitution?

Like there's a reaaaaaally pertinent Amendment to it, one which I'm pretty sure Sarkeesian has not tried to deny to Carl of Sad but which you seem to be trying to deny her.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also if your legal system protects dickheads from being called dickheads that's a failing, not a feature.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fados posted:

you uh don't think muslims should be able to talk poo poo to racist assholes trying to intimidate them at their house of worship?

some guy made a video as a response to the jontron/destiny debate so destiny has the guy on and went over the response video point for point and i love the guy backpedaling and dissembling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX7Q1L7q8Sg

destiny cornering the guy on black crime owns too.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 24, 2017

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Sargon's such a piece of poo poo. I tried to see some videos he did on Anita to see if he never encouraged her to be attacked by his minions, which, in the most technical sense, is true, in that he has never explicitly told his idiot fanbase: "Hey, go out and send Anita rape and death threats". What he does do, however, is basically say that, yeah, some people might have said some bad things, but only because they're just so gosh darn angry at her! It's not their fault she gets an incredibly negative reaction from thousands of shitlords whenever she speaks. This was in the very first youtube search:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQW-NvtAEs

It's a 20+ minute long video, but here are the main points:

- we should ignore some of these comments because they're from Twitter accounts that have very few followers
- we should ignore some of these comments because they're not explicitly threats.
- okay, some of these threats are kinda bad, but seriously, she brought it on herself and kinda totally deserves it
- Anita, or if we're being generous, one of her radical followers created a fake shooting threat at one of her speaking appearances so that Anita could cash in from all the sympathy afterwards
- Anita can't truly be bothered by the alleged constant and vicious harassment because she actually appears happy sometimes (Sargon posted a picture of her posing with Joss Whedon, as proof of...something).
- Anita is somehow simultaneously widely popular and also completely ineffectual in promoting the feminist ideals that she allegedly wants to achieve.
- Anita doesn't seem to care about either gaming or women in general, but is just in it for the money

And this is all from ONE video. God knows what else one could find swimming through the hundreds of hours of poo poo he's been spewing about Anita since 2014.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

According to the law the use of laguage usually supersedes mere presence in terms of harassment. But anyone would be hard-pressed to find any legal cause for harassment in this specific situation, this point is merely formal. But I think it's also how most people usually understand it instinctively.

Also how the hell I am denying anything to anyone by expressing my opinion about her reaction? Are you trying to trigger me? I think she handled it poorly, it's just an opinion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you are wrong is the problem. she handled it better than any of us would have in the same situation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Groovelord Neato posted:

you are wrong is the problem. she handled it better than any of us would have in the same situation.

again this. i am not even that much of fan of her, but gently caress i admire the restraint she has.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fados posted:

According to the law the use of laguage usually supersedes mere presence in terms of harassment. But anyone would be hard-pressed to find any legal cause for harassment in this specific situation, this point is merely formal. But I think it's also how most people usually understand it instinctively.

Also how the hell I am denying anything to anyone by expressing my opinion about her reaction? Are you trying to trigger me? I think she handled it poorly, it's just an opinion.

Oh okay you're one of these people.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Someone please spare a thought for poor ol' Carl of Swindon, an innocent soul. Can't a man spend thousands of Pounds to fly halfway across the world on a holiday for the express purpose of intimidating someone he's spent a lot of time demonising for money?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given that the appropriate and measured response would be to mount his shrivelled nutsack on the front of her car I think calling him a twat is honestly good self control.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Oh okay you're one of these people.
You said I'm trying to deny Anita her freedom of speech or whatever, by me expressing my opinion of her insulting Carl. What the hell do you want me to think?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fados posted:

You said I'm trying to deny Anita her freedom of speech or whatever, by me expressing my opinion of her insulting Carl. What the hell do you want me to think?

You specifically claimed that the same amendment to the US Consitution, guaranteeing freedom of assembly, would also be justifiably curtailed if someone called the people assembled something mean.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
You're going to bat incredibly hard for someone who definitively doesn't deserve it.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013

SteelMentor posted:

You're going to bat incredibly hard for someone who definitively doesn't deserve it.

I'm not defending Carlgon, he deserves to be called much worse, I'm just bothered that they will monetize this bullshit for weeks to come, and I feel she could've prevented that somewhat by using the opportunity of them and being there to point out in what specific way, what they do, makes em human garbage. I don't really fault her either way for going for her cathartic moment given the circumstances, I just feel like if I was in same place I would've tried something different.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fados posted:

I'm not defending Carlgon, he deserves to be called much worse, I'm just bothered that they will monetize this bullshit for weeks to come, and that she could've prevented that somewhat by using the opportunity of them and being more specific on what makes him and his friend human garbage. I don't really fault her either way for going for her cathartic moment given the circumstances, I just feel like if I was in same place I would've tried something different.

Something that would make the entire room stand up and clap as you moonwalk out?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dear lord this nobullshit guy might be dumber than jonathon tronathon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like if sad dorks with no social skills want to give money to send carlgon to the burn ward they deserve their relative increase in poverty and carlgon deserves to wank himself to sleep at night with the £20 notes while hugging his anita body pillow.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Fados posted:

I'm not defending Carlgon, he deserves to be called much worse, I'm just bothered that they will monetize this bullshit for weeks to come, and I feel she could've prevented that somewhat by using the opportunity of them and being there to point out in what specific way, what they do, makes em human garbage. I don't really fault her either way for going for her cathartic moment given the circumstances, I just feel like if I was in same place I would've tried something different.

No matter what she did he would have made bank of it. If she'd ignored his presence he'd have called her a coward, if she'd had him removed he'd have went just as ballistic as he is now (if not more so). Hell, if she invited him on stage for an impromptu debate he'd have found a way to spin things to make him the victim and rake in those shitlord bucks.

Fuckos like Carlgon are disingenuous cowards, the best thing to do is not give them the pleasure of legitimacy.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Carl of Swindon was going capitalize off of this no matter what she did.

Don't acknowledge him? ANITA THE COWARD CAN'T EVEN TALK TO ME
Actually debate his points? LOL FEMINIST IDIOT GETS OWNED BY ME after I respond to it bit by bit in a Youtube video after the fact
Be friendly? ANITA TRIES TO FORM AN ALLIANCE, I DENY HER

Calling him a garbage human straight to his face after years of him posting lovely videos about her and encouraging the hate mob was the best option, because I and everybody else who isn't a tool gets to laugh at him.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I don't know if this is what is being referred to, but I find there's a certain strain of liberalism that seems to genuinely enjoy the idea of being correct and cares far more about laying burns on conservatives than actually creating concrete positive change. The main reason I notice this is that this is basically how I was until the end of college or so. Even though I wouldn't have admitted it at the time, on some level I truly enjoyed the Bush years because it was honestly fun to make fun of conservatives and point out their latest gently caress-ups. There was some comfort in knowing I was right and these other people were evil and wrong.

I've noticed a resurgence of this same attitude since Trump was elected. It is transparently obvious that many liberals actually enjoy being able to make fun of the president's latest dumb tweets, and they like the feeling of "being part of something big/important" that comes from being part of the ~#resistance~ or whatever.

This isn't some liberal thing, this is an extraordinarily widespread modern anglo thing (Which tbf might be the result of people, reactionaries and liberals alike, growing up under the liberal status quo). There are many idiots that thinks owning somebody aligned with the other side is an affirmation of their values, so they go and seek out some 14 year old's tumblr page, or their racist cousin's fb posts so they can debunk a half-thought and pose for the camera. This is cathartic but pointless, and nothing more than a politically inclined fail compilation. It's so easy to find material of dumb opinions on the internet it may as well not matter.

Youtube intellectuals think they're above that, so they "try" to use people's arguments instead. But what really what happens is they deliberately misread, sometimes incompetently misread other arguments, to a purposeful end. 70% of a Carlgon, or a Molyneaux video etc. is them hem-hawing and belittling some pedantic point, and repeating earlier arguments in a more incredulous tone.

This is the behaviour of somebody who is 100% confident they are correct and currently laying a burn. It's a great con for Carlgon, he's got a British accent and dumb nerds will fall in line for it. It failed him spectacularly when he debated an academic feminist, he looked like a huge moron. But since people were watching him merely to affirm the other sides idiocy for them, this didn't affect his fanbase much, it was never about his arguments, it was about his attitude.

Likewise, this is why some liberals (most visible on twitter) are so comically focused on fact-checking Trump tweets. It's because their entire understanding of civics is no more advanced than Comic Book Guy with art.

Ytlaya posted:

I think part of the reason there's a backlash is that the people who focus heavily on laying burns on Trump usually don't focus much on any sort of positive change that goes beyond thwarting Republican malfeasance. So you end up with people who are deeply unhappy with the status quo who see a bunch of financially secure liberals treating politics as some sort of fun debate and ignoring the issues that concern them. You then sometimes end up with these people making the association between liberals like this and social issues, which results in them thinking of said social issues as being somehow opposed to their own concerns. This is of course nonsense, but it's at least partially the unfortunate result of liberals neglecting to address issues like wealth inequality, etc.

edit: I think Contrapoints illustrates this issue pretty well. He frequently discusses social issues and is even genderqueer himself, but he is received far more positively by many non-SJW peopple than other "SJW" Youtubers, and I believe this is at least partly because he makes an honest attempt to explain his positions (rather than just wanting to lay down sweet burns) and also makes it clear that he is aware that there are other serious problems with the status quo.

I think Contra mostly gets people that aren't really ideologically inclined against sjws, but happened into the internet war at the wrong place and got blasted with all the "fat feminist OWNED"/"tumblr pronoun lists" memespiel and decided they had to be against sjws. So yeah, his earnestness helps him a lot because those people just suddenly see an rampant sjw who makes jokes and likes the a e s t h e t i c and suddenly they have to see sjws as human beings again. Kind of like those racists on tv that go to a Muslim meet-n-greet and back down in a day.

Carlgon has way too much of an ego though, he's going to turn nazi or go hermit. He may already be a nazi, but lol, he's straight up isn't as smart at their ringleaders. Nazis at least they have a coherent worldview instead of flabby flaily internet owns.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

She specifically does in the first 30 seconds of that video.
Sorry I was responding to Fados who for some reason Anita shouldn't be allowed to use a pertinent example of her current point, because it hurts Sargon's feelings. Somehow an insult that would be allowed in a G rated movie is some grevous insult to Fados, even when it is completely and 100% on topic for the panel. It's almost like Fados doesn't like freedom of speech.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/PaperFoxx/status/878411881731444736

edit:
Dammit I can't figure out this Twitter bullshit.

edit:
In more dire news:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/the-far-right-influencer-playbook?utm_term=.jv8QBVL4z#.cyE5k9lwY

I was once told by a poster on another forum that Southern showed the "hypocrisy" of feminists because a feminist once kinda pushed her. Well, I wish that feminist had punched her teeth out now.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 24, 2017

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
People who tried to ruin your life and harassed you for years on end and cause great emotional and personal harm to you because you made a mild critique of their children's toys deserve far far worse names than the accurate descriptor of garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

i cry myself to sleep every night because i live in a world where anthony fantano turned out to be one of these troglodytes.

best teeth in the game, worst think in the tank

• Locked thread