Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Bright lights used to give me migraines, so I had a pair of prescription sunglasses to switch to on those occasions. I'm still a little light sensitive but these days I can get away with just a light tint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Can you substitute panko for normal breadcrumbs in meat loaf?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Can you substitute panko for normal breadcrumbs in meat loaf?

Yeah, but you can also just overtoast some breads and rub them together furiously to produce bread crumbs.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Bright lights used to give me migraines, so I had a pair of prescription sunglasses to switch to on those occasions. I'm still a little light sensitive but these days I can get away with just a light tint.

I have (well, had...seems age has ended my migraines) basically the same problem. If I get a migraine but it isn't bad enough to be crippling I'll have light sensitivity issues and the sunglasses go on. If there's bright enough lights around then the sunglasses also go on.

If memory serves glaucoma is another one; people that have that tend to wear sunglasses all the time because it helps somehow. Couldn't tell you the details; I just read that somewhere.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've worn prescription glasses since I was 3, and when I had contacts I'd leave my sunglasses on by accident because I was so accustomed to wearing glasses 100% of the time I was awake.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Yeah I guess I'll just cut down that drat tree.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Why are more expensive vodkas smoother? Aren't they all just 40% ethanol and 60% water?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Why are more expensive vodkas smoother? Aren't they all just 40% ethanol and 60% water?

Vodka isn't just straight up alcohol and water hanging out together, it's a solution where the water and ethanol interact in various ways. Some ways are apparently nicer than others: https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/vodkas-molecular-cocktail/3004253.article

I guess you get these different structures in a given bottle by varying ingredients and filtration, but probably mostly filtration. I don't know, I'm not a vodka pro or chemist but this seems reasonable to me.

My dad makes vodka and there's an obvious difference between the straight distilled vodka and the one they filter through like five homemade carbon filters and this kind of explains that.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jeb! Repetition posted:

No; anything like that is going to have a poo poo load of other stuff in it. What type of thing they fermented also matters. A different cultivar (vodka is potatoes, right?) will add a different chemical mixture to it. Yeah booze is mostly just ethanol and water but there's a poo poo load of other random stuff you don't think about dissolved in it too. More care probably went into making the more expensive vodka. Cheaper vodka would probably be produced with a quicker, cheaper, easier process with cheaper ingredients. It might also not be wholly proper vodka.

I say "probably" because sometimes the expensive stuff is more or less the same as the less expensive stuff but in a fancier bottle. Cheap doesn't automatically mean bad and expensive doesn't automatically mean good. Find one you like and drink that.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
These days (in Canada at least), vodka is usually a grain alcohol. One inexpensive potato brand is Luksusowa, a Polish vodka.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

How much of the tv show Chopped is fake?

My guess is that the cooking you see is real, the ingredients are indeed a surprise to the contestants, what they serve to the judges is what they really made etc.. but that things are still fake in the sense that the winner of each round and overall contest are determined by execs based on the narrative appeal and "mediagenic qualities" of the contestants' backgrounds, sob stories, and personalities rather than on the taste of their food. How far off am I?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you make an offer on Ebay and offer the full price as back up if they reject it on Ebay?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Earwicker posted:

My guess is that the cooking you see is real, the ingredients are indeed a surprise to the contestants, what they serve to the judges is what they really made etc.. but that things are still fake in the sense that the winner of each round and overall contest are determined by execs based on the narrative appeal and "mediagenic qualities" of the contestants' backgrounds, sob stories, and personalities rather than on the taste of their food. How far off am I?

There might be times when something like this occurs, but it seems pretty legit in term of people getting eliminated when they completely gently caress up (like forgetting to include one of the secret ingredients in their dish). Also I have seen people win who don't have much of a "story" other than they really need the money to start their dream restaurant or whatever.

What I would be more inclined to believe is that they get more time than is shown on the TV show, particularly between when the ingredients are revealed and when they start cooking. I have no evidence to really support that claim, though.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Earwicker posted:

50/50. There was a guy who was on Top Chef some time back who wrote a long narrative about how it really went and what really happened. It's 50% food/competition and 50% good TV. Essentially you can't win if you're not a good chef, and you can't win if you're not good TV. You have to be both.

I used to shoot cattle-call auditions for a great big huge (network) reality TV show, and to cast you they want you to be a little different than everybody else. They need 1 lesbian, 1 old guy, 1 woman, 1 asian, 1 hipster, 1 sob-story, 1 come-from-behind hero, 1 hottie, etc, etc, etc. You could be the 2nd best queer guy in the world to try out, but if they already have a queer guy on cast, you're not getting on no matter what.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 24, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Earwicker posted:

Oh my god, I can finally answer one!

When I was learning the Culinary Arts at Le Cordon Bleu Hollywood, we would get "externships" at the food network kitchens, and so would get to see a lot of the inner workings of the Food Network kitchens. I got to see and work with a lot of the shows most people enjoy today. One of my favorites was working in the Chopped kitchen, the actual competition takes about 16 hours in total from round 1 to round 4. There's a lot of behind the scenes prep work, the kitchens are scrubbed and clean between rounds, and the chefs are basically sectioned off in a room where a producer off-screen is "encouraging" them to either be playful or angry with each other. It's basically some assholes job to try and either incite playful banter, or try and get them to show solidarity, it generally depends on what "personalities" show up. A lot of the contestants are crazy, when I say that, I mean they're the kind of people who want to be on TV and think they'll be the next big TV personality. They're demanding and belittling of the staff a majority of the time, and even if they act humble on TV even the nicest people can be total pricks.

They do the Privacy Booth rounds in between the Food cooking, and the Food judging. This is to get "real" responses, and again it's the producer's job to talk to them to get the soundbytes they want. I actually watched someone who forgot an ingredient have to sit in the booth for 10 - 15 minutes, because the producer was trying to get the contestant to cry on camera. The women are generally treated worse to get those "tear jerker" moments. It's kind of awful to be honest.

While people are in the Privacy booths, people take pictures and video of the food and it gets cold sometimes. That's why cold meals like salad normally win, and you'll see things get "runny" even though it should only be out of the freezer for 5 minutes. Judges are not supposed to judge on food temp, but it's simply the case that a piece of fried chicken tastes like garbage cold. I'm trying to think more to answer your question, so this is all stream of consciousness stuff.

It's not faked, but personalities are encouraged to be more bombastic. You kind of get the worst out of people on reality TV, and chopped is no exception. There's also like a tutorial training thing before you go in where they show where everything is, and make sure you understand the rules. There's a penalty (monetary? Idk,) if you talk about to the judges without being prompted, and you can get in real trouble if you keep doing it. Charisma goes a long way, and food taste is pretty subjective (even if cooking show judges don't want to admit it,) so the more charismatic you are, the better your dish is served. There's also some racism in their, where PoC will be judged more harshly than white people depending on the judge, but you can tell that just from watching tbh.

Uh do you have any other questions?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Was thinking of a career change and I'm interested in on the road trucking but i smoke weed. What's the current DOT testing process?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

There's also some racism in their, where PoC will be judged more harshly than white people depending on the judge, but you can tell that just from watching tbh.
From working in TV I've found it to be the opposite, i.e. round 3 of 12 you are ready to axe the black guy because he clearly lost the episode; producer staff say you can't because we can't go 9 more weeks with all white folks. Black guy gets to stay and you axe the 2nd to last place. Which is why sometimes you go "how did the guy who forgot the secret ingredient get to stay?". Because he was the last black guy (slash woman slash gay slash any minority group).

Watch the last few weeks of almost any competition-based reality show. Going into the finals it's three people: one white, one "of color", one gay/woman. You'd seldom get to the last few rounds without "diversity", regardless of who won or lost up to that point.

photomikey fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 25, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

veni veni veni posted:

Can you make an offer on Ebay and offer the full price as back up if they reject it on Ebay?

Yes, you can make up to 3 offers and the seller can make 3 offers back to you in response, if they choose.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't find an answer to this. Do Hausa people in Nigeria nod for yes and shake their heads for no, or do they have different gestures?

"A Hausa-English Dictionary" by Paul Newman says that a certain Hausa word can mean "churn, whisk, stir, shake head, nod showing disagreement or agreement" (bolding mine).

Also, Wikipedia and quora seem to agree that a single upward "nod" can mean "no" in some other places. And in Bulgaria and some parts of Albania, shaking your head can mean yes (Wikipedia agrees with quora).

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Hopefully a simple HTML/CSS question: I like the mouseover effect of the top image on this site, in that the presence of the mouse cursor makes the image overlay appear. I'd like to use a similar effect with a new site I'm coding up but I can't figure out how the effect is done. I've figured out that it uses quite a few images for the overlay, but not how to dynamically adjust opacity. I assume it's through some of the JS that's linked, but JavaScript has never been my strong suit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I saw a picture of a doctor, representing all doctors, who was heroically fighting and wrestling with the grim reaper. It was done in an iconic, maybe bas-relief mimicking style. I was wondering if anyone has it.

Edit: Jesus nevermind, all I had to do was Google it and it was the first result.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Was thinking of a career change and I'm interested in on the road trucking but i smoke weed. What's the current DOT testing process?

I don't know anything about this industry but considering autonomous road travel is literally within a decade of becoming a reality I would approach a new career in road haulage with caution.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ineptmule posted:

I don't know anything about this industry but considering autonomous road travel is literally within a decade of becoming a reality I would approach a new career in road haulage with caution.

People keep saying this, but I cannot fathom how any sort of AI that currently exist or is only a few years out will be able to maneuver a truck into a dock in anything but in a open freight yard.

Or is the idea of the robot truckers will just go from depot depot and then a human driver will pull it for local delivery?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

bongwizzard posted:

Or is the idea of the robot truckers will just go from depot depot and then a human driver will pull it for local delivery?

That'd be a possibility. At least for now, robots and humans are more productive when they work together in their specialties.

I think the one advantage we primates have over the inorganics is the humiliation we show when we debase ourselves. That will always amuse an alien species.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ineptmule posted:

No it really isn't. Leave aside any technology concerns: there's a huge amount of changes in the law and court precedent that would be needed for mass usage of self driving trucks. You need changes in every state and at the federal level, you need clarity in what insurance must be purchased and how it will be paid out.

Additionally, first and second generation equipment is going to add a ton of money to the price of new trucks and may not be possible to retrofit to existing trucks in a similar manner. A ton of companies are going to hold off on those expenses until they go down, truckers don't cost them that much after all.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
We're watching our neighbor's dogs while she has surgery. Yesterday we brought them over to our backyard for a few hours, and the fuckers dug up several spots of our grass, a few of them are proper holes. What's the best way (other than sodding)
to repair these so the grass fills in quickly? We have St. Augustine grass, if it matters.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

We're watching our neighbor's dogs while she has surgery. Yesterday we brought them over to our backyard for a few hours, and the fuckers dug up several spots of our grass, a few of them are proper holes. What's the best way (other than sodding)
to repair these so the grass fills in quickly? We have St. Augustine grass, if it matters.

sodding is kind of the best way to do this though?

use that fertilizer that's literally green, seeds and some fine sand

but if you could just grab a corner or two of your lawn, put it over the dog holes and blend the sod/thatch in a bit the surrounding area it could fix your aesthetics

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Turtlicious posted:

Oh my god, I can finally answer one!

When I was learning the Culinary Arts at Le Cordon Bleu Hollywood, we would get "externships" at the food network kitchens, and so would get to see a lot of the inner workings of the Food Network kitchens. I got to see and work with a lot of the shows most people enjoy today. One of my favorites was working in the Chopped kitchen, the actual competition takes about 16 hours in total from round 1 to round 4. There's a lot of behind the scenes prep work, the kitchens are scrubbed and clean between rounds, and the chefs are basically sectioned off in a room where a producer off-screen is "encouraging" them to either be playful or angry with each other. It's basically some assholes job to try and either incite playful banter, or try and get them to show solidarity, it generally depends on what "personalities" show up. A lot of the contestants are crazy, when I say that, I mean they're the kind of people who want to be on TV and think they'll be the next big TV personality. They're demanding and belittling of the staff a majority of the time, and even if they act humble on TV even the nicest people can be total pricks.

They do the Privacy Booth rounds in between the Food cooking, and the Food judging. This is to get "real" responses, and again it's the producer's job to talk to them to get the soundbytes they want. I actually watched someone who forgot an ingredient have to sit in the booth for 10 - 15 minutes, because the producer was trying to get the contestant to cry on camera. The women are generally treated worse to get those "tear jerker" moments. It's kind of awful to be honest.

While people are in the Privacy booths, people take pictures and video of the food and it gets cold sometimes. That's why cold meals like salad normally win, and you'll see things get "runny" even though it should only be out of the freezer for 5 minutes. Judges are not supposed to judge on food temp, but it's simply the case that a piece of fried chicken tastes like garbage cold. I'm trying to think more to answer your question, so this is all stream of consciousness stuff.

It's not faked, but personalities are encouraged to be more bombastic. You kind of get the worst out of people on reality TV, and chopped is no exception. There's also like a tutorial training thing before you go in where they show where everything is, and make sure you understand the rules. There's a penalty (monetary? Idk,) if you talk about to the judges without being prompted, and you can get in real trouble if you keep doing it. Charisma goes a long way, and food taste is pretty subjective (even if cooking show judges don't want to admit it,) so the more charismatic you are, the better your dish is served. There's also some racism in their, where PoC will be judged more harshly than white people depending on the judge, but you can tell that just from watching tbh.

Uh do you have any other questions?

Thanks for this post it is great!

I didn't know about them manipulating the contestants so much off camera but I'm really not surprised. And some yeah of the judges seem like huge assholes (Zakarian) though a few of them seem pretty nice (Samuelson). That's crazy that there is a penalty for talking to the judges but it explains why its so rare because its pretty clear that the contestants can hear the poo poo the judges and Ted are saying while they cook.

Seems like they also handle things pretty differently when its 4 working chefs instead of those special episodes with emergency responders or college students or whatever, I watched the one with cops the other day and it seemed obvious they were able to research the ingredients beforehand (nonetheless, everyone made sliders)

also the composer for this show is my hero the music and sound design is just insane

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 25, 2017

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Christ I'm the worst but is there a photography thread?!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Christ I'm the worst but is there a photography thread?!

A whole bloody sub-forum!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=247

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I need software to clip video files.

I used to use WMM, but it has been EOL'd and I recently reinstalled windows and lost my legacy version (totally would have copied it if I knew). All I want to do is edit/clip video files, mostly from large, multi-hour files down to small clips easier to upload.

I saw Davinci Resolve recommended earlier in the thread, but it is far too technical and wants me to render the clips from scratch. Not only does this take 30-60 minutes per hour of video, but I can't figure out how the compression works. After playing with it all day, I finally figured out how to export the clips I made, but they ended up >40x as large as the original file (from ~1gb per hour for 1080p to ~40gb per hour for 720p).

Can anyone recommend an iMovie like program for Windows, or explain how to do what I want in Davinci? As I said, I just want to take large video files and chop them into smaller pieces.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Maybe OpenShot.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I finally figured it out:

To trim videos post-WMM: right click the file, open with the Windows Photo app, then use the trim option in the upper right corner. You can easily save the selected clips to a new file.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I finally figured it out:

To trim videos post-WMM: right click the file, open with the Windows Photo app, then use the trim option in the upper right corner. You can easily save the selected clips to a new file.

This is awesome and I'll remember it.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
For cleanup, when do you guys use a paper towel, and when do you use a rag?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Paper towel is for super absorbent but low volume stuff, that won't be sticky. Things like cleaning glass an stainless steel or drying a sink. Sometimes I give the toilet a quick clean with paper towel as well.

Rags and towels are for everything else. Sticky spill = wet rag. They're also good for stuff that needs less lint or more durability like polishing silver or whatever.

I've seen people do dishes with paper towels and it's barbarism.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Caufman posted:

For cleanup, when do you guys use a paper towel, and when do you use a rag?
Personally, I'm a sponge man. And that's only for countertops, sinks, & bathrooms.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Cool, cool, definitely taking notes here.

Got any tips for getting blood off a three piece suit? And cleaning products in general?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I need software to clip video files.
Try MPEG Streamclip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Does anyone know on which episode of the Ricky Gervais show Karl talks about cutting off part of his bed?