Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

KickerOfMice posted:

So are tweets are admissible statements in court or what because if so :popeye:

I would imagine that very soon this is about to become an interesting Supreme Court case. In a 5-4 ruling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

KickerOfMice posted:

They’ve been used against him in every travel ban ruling so far

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
They're absolutely admissable. They are clearly things the man has said. I think the legal question was about whether or not they constitute 'official statements of the president' or whatever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

KickerOfMice posted:

His tweets already affected the travel ban soooo

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
(this is kind of the surrogate USPol thread, let me know if there's somewhere more appropriate for this)

Not sure if anyone's following what's happening in the Flint water crisis but it's pretty unprecedented. Michigan's (Republican) AG Schutte filed manslaughter charges on 5 state+local officials, which is unusual enough, but it's also mostly people who actually held positions of responsibility and authority :munch:

High-powered lawyers can probably work their way to "reasonable doubt", but it'll be interesting. I don't think there is any population/area that is particularly thrilled about this. The state's Democrats don't like any of the financial manager business let alone when the emergency managers ordered Flint off Detroit water so they could bust the Detroit city water union (sparking the whole crisis). Not even hick country is super fond of rich Ann Arbor city-boy Rick Snyder, and in small-town Michigan it's all too easy to sympathize with the town that lost their livelihood, lost their right to local governance, and then was fed poisoned water. People have been watching this disaster slow-grind on for years and years now.

For context: the Emergency Manager law was on the ballot in 2012 after a hugely successful voter initiative (it's very difficult in this state), the law was struck down by a 53/47% vote (pretty big in a state full of Republicans where black people are the huge majority of the people affected). Republicans immediately re-passed it after the election with an appropriation attached so it couldn't be referendum'd again.

Poor loving flint, I was looking at tax lien property listings and saw some OK looking super cheap properties but then oh, Genesee County, welp poison water, crime, and no local economy, no wonder nobody wants that property. Bottled water gets discontinued soon, I think.

I dunno about Stephen Busch there though. He's the MDEQ district water quality supervisor for that area. Shutting off water (even just temporarily for a switchover) is a big decision that impacts a lot of people, I can't really fault someone for not giving their boss the middle finger and pulling a comically large switch to disconnect a water grid that delivers to a half million people.

In general I'm very wary about this because the official (Republican) state line here has been that this goes right to the bottom, and I don't wonder if they won't try some more civil servants, after all they'll have lots of evidence from building this case. Stephen Busch there seems like the start of that potentially, but the other 4 had power and knowledge and didn't use it and people died.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 24, 2017

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I would imagine that very soon this is about to become an interesting Supreme Court case. In a 5-4 ruling...

6-3 after Kennedy retires, friend. ;)

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

I wouldn't really blame Obama for not unilaterally releasing info about election interference. If the Republicans wanted to make it partisan then there would be no point, it would probably end up helping the Russians. It's 100% on them.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hi thread. I don't post in here much but wanted to chime in and say LOL.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

NoDamage posted:

Worst poker player ever. Why did he fold to McConnell's threat when the appearance of "partisan election rigging" clearly means nothing in today's political climate? McConnell is possibly compromised with Russian money anyway or at the very least not acting in good faith. Engaging with him is/was pointless.

Because they thought Clinton would win. Pretty much all their decisions were based on that assumption.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Remember that Trump was already "keeping us in suspense" over whether or not he'd allow a peaceful transfer of power in the event of a loss. If McConnell and the other Republicans had taken the line that Obama was trying to rig the election, things could have gone very bad very quickly even after Hillary won. With hindsight Obama should have done more, but it sounds like they had him over a barrel.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

pumpinglemma posted:

Remember that Trump was already "keeping us in suspense" over whether or not he'd allow a peaceful transfer of power in the event of a loss. If McConnell and the other Republicans had taken the line that Obama was trying to rig the election, things could have gone very bad very quickly even after Hillary won. With hindsight Obama should have done more, but it sounds like they had him over a barrel.

Yeah, they pointed out in the article that Trump was already publicly making claims about Obama trying to rig the election against him, probably based on telephone rumors of the early stage of the Russia investigation

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

What makes this even more impressive is that Flint was to metro Detroit what Detroit is to people out of state, ie a crime ridden, broken down city that was once the second most dangerous city in the country. The fact that *anyone* was held accountable for anything that happened there is astounding.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

(this is kind of the surrogate USPol thread, let me know if there's somewhere more appropriate for this)

Before I read, let me tell you you're spot on.

But there is always gravitation towards the orange one.

e: It's correct that they are trying civil servants, but how does this not lead into precedence, nationwide, of "yeah you got poisoned and your family might suffer for generations, but we will not sue those actually responsible because free market."

And is being sued the proper action against an organization that poisons an entire community's drinking water, no matter how small a community? Monetary detriment?

KickerOfMice fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 24, 2017

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

mdemone posted:

Goddamn he is stupid. It is just not even realistic how dumb he is.

I want to quote this forever.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

holy poo poo he is bad at this whole crime thing

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tibalt posted:

I mean, the budget cuts are going to suck in ten years but New York isn't going to let thousands of Medicaid recipients due.

I'm not sure why you have this sort of faith in Andrew Cuomo.

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm super far behind today and just reading the WaPo story, but :lol:, this whole poo poo would make for a completely unbelievable novel

:suicide:

Whatever end awaits Assange is going to be better than he deserves,

DreamShipWrecked posted:

If you didn't want me to do it then you should have stopped me - President of the United States, 2017

Obama should've gone to war with the GOP instead of continuing to be a worthless coward, but why break his streak and do something bold like publicly calling out McConnell and the GOP for putting personal gain above the country? That's not how Obama, and his endless idiotic desire for bipartisanship, operated.

The only reason Obama isn't going to be judged more harshly by history is because he was POTUS in between two massive train wrecks.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It was a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario. Either one would suck horribly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

poo poo like this is why Spicey time is over. They don't want to get caught refusing to answer questions about this.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Paul MaudDib posted:

Isn't the big remediation issue that the lead comes from the pipes, and because the more acidic water has dissolved away a century's worth of mineral deposits that sealed the pipes, there's nothing to be done but replace the pipes, which is hideously expensive and a non-starter for a economically bereft town like Flint?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I bet his angle here is that the fact that Obama knew about meddling and did nothing is proof that the meddling was actually on behalf of democrats, against him.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Blitz7x posted:

Trump should charge Obama rent for living in his head

Reminder Scott Walker Donnie got married on Reagan's Obama's birthday for all of his marriages so he thinks of a half-white man when during The Anniversary Incest Sex.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
His angle is that he doesn't deny that the Russians tried to game the election by hacking/releasing emails that hurt Hillary and trying to phish voter databases , just that he didn't personally have any contact with the Russians or knowledge of what was going on.

Also Obama is low energy because he knew the Russians were attacking us and did nothing about it, so it's all Obama's fault. BTW this totally doesn't undermine my own presidency somehow. :shepface:

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

eyebeem posted:

Hi thread. I don't post in here much but wanted to chime in and say LOL.

I'll second that.

Recently Trump's been surprisingly consistent in saying/tweeting something about once a week that makes me realize he's even dumber than I thought. I don't know how he keeps lowering the bar but it's impressive and morbidly entertaining.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I apologize for repeating myself but I find this poo poo really frustrating.

You guys are responding to RWM bullshit and assuming there's any strategy or legitimacy to it. Hell, in this case it was a RWM mistake as they were attempting to distract with some other bullshit and then someone accidently said a true thing so they had to find a way to spin it on the fly.

Donald Trump was watching Tucker Carlson, who was doing a topical hit piece on how Loretta Lynch obstructed the Hillary email investigation and that's a bigger story than the fake obstruction of the fake Russia investigation that the media claims Trump did. But then Tucker's guest hosed up and in saying how political the Obama Administration was brought up the idea that the Russia investigation was happening before November and the Obama Administration made the choice not to go public with it and affect the election. Tucker Carlson was visibly shaken and had to spontaneously spin a way to still insist the Russia investigation is BS and get mad at Obama for being secretive about it.

And Donald Trump was watching and tweeted about it because he's not some political strategist using half truths to deflect from scandals. He's a loving idiot tweeting the thoughts that pop into his head before he has time to understand them.

Here's the video. Relevant part happens at 3:30.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/5481968166001/?playlist_id=5198073478001#sp=show-clips

I have a hard time buying the "centrists are the problem" argument if it keeps being made in the context of leftists eating up RWM propaganda.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

poo poo like this is why Spicey time is over. They don't want to get caught refusing to answer questions about this.

You assume Spicy has a spine made that move himself instead of Donnie thinking it's time for his totally definitely patented You're Fired scene.

Also lol at Donnie being such a joke that he's a joke in American Dad(a season 1 episode) and a Good Eats episode(peaches episode, "a little bit of the fresh of clingstones cling to the pit like bad hair to Donnie.")

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Nothus posted:

Isn't the big remediation issue that the lead comes from the pipes, and because the more acidic water has dissolved away a century's worth of mineral deposits that sealed the pipes, there's nothing to be done but replace the pipes, which is hideously expensive and a non-starter for a economically bereft town like Flint?

Something like that.

Oh it would have cost about $100/mo to treat the water and prevent the problem all together.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Nothus posted:

His angle is that he doesn't deny that the Russians tried to game the election by hacking/releasing emails that hurt Hillary and trying to phish voter databases , just that he didn't personally have any contact with the Russians or knowledge of what was going on.

Also Obama is low energy because he knew the Russians were attacking us and did nothing about it, so it's all Obama's fault. BTW this totally doesn't undermine my own presidency somehow. :shepface:

No, his angle forever has been that "we don't know that the Russians did it? Why do you keep saying the Russians did it?"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tir McDohl posted:

6-3 after Kennedy retires, friend. ;)

You do realise Kennedy is one of the five in the the "in a 5-4 decision" thing.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nothus posted:

:(

gently caress, just turn the city into a Superfund site, buy out everyone and close the town like Centralia, PA.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Nothus posted:

Yeah, if I remember right they could have avoided all this at the start with some money treating the water initially but they skimped on that and now the entire pipe system is hosed.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe
I don't want to be a crazy man here but.

We know that Cambridge Analytics can tell who somebody is based on 50 facebook likes. Male or Female, State City, Their name, all this info. Whether they vote dem or republican.

We know the Russians hacked voter registrations roles and effectively changed voter registration information. Although the states claim they "Fixed it" in time.

What exactly prevented the Russians from taking the information Cambridge Analytics had about every voter, specifically target democratic voters in key battleground states, and change their voter registration via hacking to prevent them from voting and thereby ensuring Donald Trump gets elected?

Because the more and more I see coming out between the head of Cambridge Analytics being investigated by Mueller to the Washington Post report out today the more and more I think that is exactly what happened.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

We know that Cambridge Analytics can tell who somebody is based on 50 facebook likes. Male or Female, State City, Their name, all this info. Whether they vote dem or republican.

We know the Russians hacked voter registrations roles and effectively changed voter registration information. Although the states claim they "Fixed it" in time.

What exactly prevented the Russians from taking the information Cambridge Analytics had about every voter, specifically target democratic voters in key battleground states, and change their voter registration via hacking to prevent them from voting and thereby ensuring Donald Trump gets elected?

Because the more and more I see coming out between the head of Cambridge Analytics being investigated by Mueller to the Washington Post report out today the more and more I think that is exactly what happened.

They would only have to have done it in a few specific areas to knock out enough registered voters to shift a few electoral regions. It would explain a lot, including why the polls were so wrong: they weren't, they were just polls of intent to vote, which cannot measure suppression.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

You assume Spicy has a spine made that move himself instead of Donnie thinking it's time for his totally definitely patented You're Fired scene.

Also lol at Donnie being such a joke that he's a joke in American Dad(a season 1 episode) and a Good Eats episode(peaches episode, "a little bit of the fresh of clingstones cling to the pit like bad hair to Donnie.")

Oh no it is entirely Trump. Trump hated watching Spicey wiggle like a little worm trying to avoid questions. That shows weakness. Trump hated when Spicey had to correct things or back down. That shows weakness. This way they can just deny they refused to answer the question.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
happy Friday thread

hope it has gone well from whatever bar or couch you are reading this thread from

by Monday 50% of the country will believe trump is obstructing justice and witness tampering, and doing nothing to investigate or prevent a political actor from tampering with our elections, while encouraging congress to kill our fellow citizens by denying healthcare

i made smoked wings tonight and we have friends in town and am watching marie bamford make us laugh on tv

i plan to call as many state reps and senators in the AM that I have time for

hug those close to you. try to protect the vulnerable. encourage speaking truth to power

also the pee tape is real

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

I apologize for repeating myself but I find this poo poo really frustrating.

Has anyone in this thread actually done that though? Yeah you got some morons in that tweet's replies convinced this is Trump playing 69th Dimensional Chess to distract from the AHCA, as if that is how it works, but it's been pretty clear from the start he just spouts this poo poo off with no forethought.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

You don't even need Cambridge Analytics. Primary voting records are public information in most (all?) states. You can get a list of everyone who voted in the Democratic primary pretty easily if you have a little money to spend.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

hmmm....how about no, your abuela just didn't appeal to anyone because she's a lying monster desperate for any kind of power who anyone can see through and nobody likes

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PhazonLink posted:

Donald Trump has ALWAYS been a joke. Its what frustrated me so much early on in the campaign because people on both side of the aisle seemed to be under the false impression that he was some kind of respected businessman. He spent a life time being a tabloid clown and then somehow managed to convince people he was a kick rear end business man by creating a game show where he says he's a kick rear end businessman.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

STAC Goat posted:

Donald Trump has ALWAYS been a joke. Its what frustrated me so much early on in the campaign because people on both side of the aisle seemed to be under the false impression that he was some kind of respected businessman. He spent a life time being a tabloid clown and then somehow managed to convince people he was a kick rear end business man by creating a game show where he says he's a kick rear end businessman.

It's actually really bizarre if you watch older shows on Netflix how often in the middle of some random 80's sitcom there will be a joke about what a goddam buffoon Donald Trump is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

TGLT posted:

Has anyone in this thread actually done that though? Yeah you got some morons in that tweet's replies convinced this is Trump playing 69th Dimensional Chess to distract from the AHCA, as if that is how it works, but it's been pretty clear from the start he just spouts this poo poo off with no forethought.

I feel like I saw some posts that did it but I don't want to turn this into a fight. I just am having a bad day and was frustrated to see people seemingly play into the RWM narrative as I feel like we've seen a lot of this week. And I just wanted to repost that link because I feel like the inability to embed that video is stopping people from plainly seeing that this is another example of Trump watching Fox News and misunderstanding what was being said.

But like I said, bad day and I should probably log off.

• Locked thread