Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Sickening posted:

Doesn't killing on turn 3 require you put yourself to 3, not face any discard, not face any counterspells, have 2 death shadows in hand, have those survive, and have your opponent never play a creature that can block.

It's not as crazy as it sounds, you could spend the first turn on a discard spell and have removal for their blocker on the third turn. That's a very rare god-draw, but something like that being within the range of a heavily interactive deck at all is just wild.

EDIT: Actually forget about the turn three thing, even if it hasn't ever happened in a real game of magic that's not the primary reason DS is the best deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ManMythLegend posted:

Cool, thanks.

No problem. Deck plays really well as an aggro deck, and can grind out control matches just by virtue of having every creature be a game winning threat.

uninverted posted:

It's not as crazy as it sounds, you could spend the first turn on a discard spell and have removal for their blocker on the third turn. That's a very rare god-draw, but something like that being within the range of a heavily interactive deck at all is just wild.

EDIT: Actually forget about the turn three thing, even if it hasn't ever happened in a real game of magic that's not the primary reason DS is the best deck.

I put together the Ari Lax version of grixis shadow because it cost $80 to finish out the deck and I wanted to better understand it so I can get better at playing against it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

uninverted posted:

Nobody said that's why its the best deck. It would be the best deck because its and efficient midrange deck that blue cards and removal might actually line up well against a broad range of deck. That would mean the best deck in modern is interactive AND plays plays blue cards. Basically everything people have bitched for.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If it truly is the case that a big dumb vanilla (albeit undercosted) creature is worth banning, they should probably ban one of the big dumb idiots that requires zero effort to turn on instead of the one that has an interesting risk/reward aspect and unique opportunities for potential counterplay.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

The Sexual Shiite posted:

My wife likes Dollar Tree for gift bags and cheap greeting cards to send to people we know but aren't that close to, so she dragged me in there yesterday while we were out.

When we're in there, I check out the books because I like seeing what kind of crap makes it there.

I discovered a hardback Phil and Kaja Foglio novel. At some point, someone is getting a magic card in a sleeve taped inside the book cover.

If it's a Buck Godot comic book I will pay you money for it

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Ban Stubborn Denial IMO

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Archenteron posted:

If it's a Buck Godot comic book I will pay you money for it

It's a girl genius novel.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If DS itself gets banned I'm just running out Abzan Delirium. Hope this helps.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
I almost wish Inquisition of Kozilek got banned.

Death's Shadow would be alot less oppressive if they didnt have access to 8 hand disruption spells that they can use to snipe you turn 1 almost every time.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

anglachel posted:

Death's Shadow would be alot less oppressive if they didnt have access to 8 hand disruption spells that they can use to snipe you turn 1 almost every time.

If only there was a downside to hand disruption! :argh:

Whats grixis most lopside matchup anyway? Adnaus?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

uninverted posted:

Grixis shadow is like a reductio ad absurdum for people who are reluctant to ban things from fair decks. It has 14 ways to answer any relevant card in modern for 1 mana, it can either kill on turn 3 or play the super long game, it's got piles of cantrips to do the same thing every game, but it's "still just turning creatures sideways".

I think it's just that the two extremes of people who want Modern to be Legacy without a Reserved List and people who want it to be Standard but two turns faster. I'm closer to the first extreme, so I want the banned list to be stuff like Hypergenesis, not stuff like Death's Shadow.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This W/B Pox deck was sweet to see in action. https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/the-complete-guide-to-planeswalker-pox-12th-place-modern-gp-vegas/

Main beats are Gideon, ally of zendikar and lingering souls with Sorin.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think that if you really wanted to take a shot at weakening Death's Shadow decks, the card to ban is Thoughtseize. The deck runs eight discard spells, but Thoughtseize helps the Death's Shadow player reach a low life total very quickly. Without Thoughtseize, the deck can't use it in combination with fetchlands and shocklands to reduce their life total to ten by turn two with the right opening hand. The deck can clearly function without Thoughtseize and lower its life total by burning away three life per turn with fetchlands and shocklands, but it takes a bit more time and probably a hit or two from the opponent to get to that sweet spot of seven or eight life by turn three.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

anglachel posted:

I think it's more that B gets you two of the best discard spells, one of the best removal spells, and (after some work) the best three creatures in the format. Adding on to the fact that those creatures also get you an unconditional counter for U, the deck is just very good.

I dunno if DS should be banned, but it is very good. The New split spell could push it over the top. I don't think it is at the same point of the game that we saw the twin or pod bans. But those were also done for the pro tour, so who knows what will happen.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Please don't ban death's shadow it's an interesting card to play with and against. And I've been winning a lot with it.

Goons winning with a deck is the biggest red flag showing that the deck should be banned.

Also everyone remember that WotC decided that Wild Nacatl needed to be banned because it was too good and it was keeping other non-Zoo aggro strategies from existing, and it's only a 3/3 for one mana. It was also an extremely misguided ban. If they want to hate out the Grixis Death's Shadow deck, they should ban an enabler. Not Thoughtseize, since other decks want that card where the drawback is actually a drawback instead of an upside. Don't ban Street Wraith either, because Living End likes that card. No we should go straight for the primary enablers - fetchlands and shocklands.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Cactrot posted:

I think it's more that B gets you two of the best discard spells, one of the best removal spells, and (after some work) the best three creatures in the format. Adding on to the fact that those creatures also get you an unconditional counter for U, the deck is just very good.

I dunno if DS should be banned, but it is very good. The New split spell could push it over the top. I don't think it is at the same point of the game that we saw the twin or pod bans. But those were also done for the pro tour, so who knows what will happen.

stubborn denial isn't unconditional. Even in it's ferocious mode it's just a 1 mana negate.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Hellsau posted:

Goons winning with a deck is the biggest red flag showing that the deck should be banned.

Also everyone remember that WotC decided that Wild Nacatl needed to be banned because it was too good and it was keeping other non-Zoo aggro strategies from existing, and it's only a 3/3 for one mana. It was also an extremely misguided ban. If they want to hate out the Grixis Death's Shadow deck, they should ban an enabler. Not Thoughtseize, since other decks want that card where the drawback is actually a drawback instead of an upside. Don't ban Street Wraith either, because Living End likes that card. No we should go straight for the primary enablers - fetchlands and shocklands.

I'M BEING TROLLED AND IT'S WORKING

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Retromancer posted:

stubborn denial isn't unconditional. Even in it's ferocious mode it's just a 1 mana negate.

You're right, it just seems to be that way.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Retromancer posted:

You're technically right, but by the time DS gets online, you HAVE to use a noncreature spell to remove it as a threat without effectively two-for-oneing yourself with a double/triple block; something you probably won't even have access to due to all the removal and hand disruption the deck has. There are just no other creatures that can get that big that cheap except for the delve allstars which coincidentally the deck also runs.

They need to make an uncounterable removal spell for two or three mana that isn't in black.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 24, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Reprint Wing Shards

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

AlternateNu posted:

You're technically right, but by the time DS gets online, you HAVE to use a noncreature spell to remove it as a threat without effectively two-for-oneing yourself with a double/triple block; something you probably won't even have access to due to all the removal and hand disruption the deck has. There are just no other creatures that can get that big that cheap except for the delve allstars which coincidentally the deck also runs.

They need to make an uncounterable removal spell for two or three mana that isn't in black.

Bring back split second

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What is holding priority and why can't you use a spell with Split Second to make your previously cast spell uncounterable? I get that all players get a chance to respond each time something goes on the stack, so why does digital Magic have this button that doesn't seem to do anything?

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 24, 2017

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Your opponent can just let the split second spell resolve and then counter the first spell.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

After the split second spell resolves each player gets priority again. It doesn't say nothing can be added to the stack until everything resolves.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Can we take a little break from having bad opinions on banning cards from modern and go back to having bad opinions on the spoiled cards from the new set?

The leaks of the Ixalan set have definitely hurt the hype on Hour of Devastation, at least locally. Lots of discussion at FNM with people showing more interest in the blurry foil rare sheet than everything else in Hour.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Alaan posted:

After the split second spell resolves each player gets priority again. It doesn't say nothing can be added to the stack until everything resolves.

Lets do a flip version of Split Second.

New mechanic: Isolate
If a spell or ability would resolve while this spell is on the stack, no additional spells or abilities can be added to the stack until the stack is empty.

So, you can still add poo poo, but as soon as the stack starts resolving, you can't touch it until everything resolves. :v:

Edit: Slight rewording.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jun 24, 2017

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Wasteland in Modern.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Smashing Link posted:

Wasteland in Modern.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Smashing Link posted:

Wasteland in Modern.

Cool. Lets just make the format Drazi-Tron mirrors all day.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Wasteland would be awesome. So would Rishadan Port

AlternateNu posted:

Sure it would run four copies but it would also get blown out real hard by other decks running it too, since tron is extremely fragile to LD.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 24, 2017

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Eldrazi Tron would be a much worse deck if wasteland existed in modern. Out of the current top decks, it would probably be best in affinity, or maybe some sort of company deck if any of them run kotr. That said, it's such a powerful card that it would probably fundamentally change the meta and also this is never going to happen so why are we discussing it

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

AlternateNu posted:

Uhhhhh, have you read what Wasteland does?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Elyv posted:

Eldrazi Tron would be a much worse deck if wasteland existed in modern. Out of the current top decks, it would probably be best in affinity, or maybe some sort of company deck if any of them run kotr. That said, it's such a powerful card that it would probably fundamentally change the meta and also this is never going to happen so why are we discussing it

Because theorycrafting is all we have with no spoilers and lovely limited GP coverage.

suicidesteve posted:

Uhhhhh, have you read what Wasteland does?

Yup. Mwwahahahaha.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Someone is messaging the official Magic Facebook to tell them WotC shouldn't support gay pride because it's a mental disorder that needs a cure. I'd screenshot but I'm phone posting on break while judging a Vintage event.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Unfortunately that's par for the course for any social media.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

wow, lsv is actually playing in this GP

Also Kai not playing with the Phoenix Foundation :(

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

AlternateNu posted:

Lets do a flip version of Split Second.

New mechanic: Isolate
If a spell or ability would resolve while this spell is on the stack, no additional spells or abilities can be added to the stack until the stack is empty.

So, you can still add poo poo, but as soon as the stack starts resolving, you can't touch it until everything resolves. :v:

Edit: Slight rewording.

Red instant: Resolve Target spell or ability

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Archenteron posted:

Red instant: Resolve Target spell or ability

Nah, this should be blue, as it's order, not chaos.

UU
Instant
Split Second
Resolve Target Spell or Ability

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I opened the mtg twitch stream to check out the team gp for a couple minutes, the initial joining the channel twitch ad plays, completes the ad and then has the standard between rounds screen for 10-ish seconds, switches to a trivia question for another 10 second and then just switches to playing 6 ads in a row. What a great experience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

OgreNoah posted:

Nah, this should be blue, as it's order, not chaos.

UU
Instant
Split Second
Resolve Target Spell or Ability

Running to the front of the line and cutting everyone else is definitely a red thing imo.