Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I can't backstab, I'm just throwing gnawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm going to guess it's your own attack animations, and possibly even the roll animation. I think those are what makes the game so stiff and awkward for me as well.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Motherfucker posted:

I can't backstab, I'm just throwing gnawing.

May I ask why not? It's a pretty big opening once you learn where she's gonna be by the snow's movement. Even if she's standing against the wall so you can't get her back it's still a good window to get 2-3 melee hits and roll away.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I like the astora greatsword. Makes the thralls jump on my blade and kill themselves.

Edit: should I spec strength and/or dex with it?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So as I'm watching my friend play this game it kinda looks like Bloodborne combat except your guy is slow. Is just not locking on with rolls the proper way to play?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Locking on and not is up to the player at that moment, but imo the lock on sucks balls in ds3. Not as if it's useless, but it seems to break a lot.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Neither always nor never lock on, both are good for specific situations. That's why you can easily switch between them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SHISHKABOB posted:

Locking on and not is up to the player at that moment, but imo the lock on sucks balls in ds3. Not as if it's useless, but it seems to break a lot.

yeah it does break too much
but people who have played 5 souls games and still don't realize that locking on to focus on one enemy might not be a good idea when dealing with several enemies are still just lol

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah I never played any of the other games, just Bloodborne. I think I used the lock on for Amygdala and that's it.

I was just trying to figure out some tips for my friend because he's getting absolutely wrecked, and I might pick up this game after I finish Witcher 3.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

guns for tits posted:

I like the astora greatsword. Makes the thralls jump on my blade and kill themselves.

Edit: should I spec strength and/or dex with it?

Astora Greatsword takes most infusions like a Champion Gundyr, so go with whatever and infuse it for that. You can go with Lightning for Faith, Chaos for Pyros, Heavy, Sharp or Refined. You can even to with Hollow if you're into that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Locking on in 3 genuinely feels the worst of all the games. It loving sucks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i was co-oping for friede and someone summoned me and then him and the other guy ran back across teh bridge outside so i cut it down :v:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Locking on in 3 genuinely feels the worst of all the games. It loving sucks.

Having played through all of them again 2's lock on feels the worst to me. But 3 will put you in the most situations where locking on insnt a great idea

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SHISHKABOB posted:

It breaks a lot because you can only lock on to things that are currently on the screen. In previous games you could lock on to enemies that were behind the camera. It sucks but you get used to it I guess. I just don't bother most of the time.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
locking on is definitely better than in ds1 where you can only roll in the four cardinal direction, not diagonally, so locking on makes certain dodges/getting close enough to properly punish after a dodge harder(because if you stay unlocked in ds1 you can dodge in any direction since the direction your character is facing changes to whatever you're pressing constantly. and if you have a control scheme which has dodge not on a face button so you can have your finger on dodge and also move the camera with right stick simultaneously, never locking on just becomes the way to play that game)

Cis Lord
Nov 14, 2016
So how does the deluxe edition compare to Prepare to Die and Scholar of the First Sin? I need details. Lots and Lots of details. I've had no hype for this game at all despite playing the first two quite a bit. I'm not really sure why. I haven't found any helpful reviews, and the few things I've heard made me feel lukewarm about it. Don't tell me what you think, compare and contrast it to the other two.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The problem with lock on is when the enemy leans over you and the camera 360s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cis Lord posted:

So how does the deluxe edition compare to Prepare to Die and Scholar of the First Sin? I need details. Lots and Lots of details. I've had no hype for this game at all despite playing the first two quite a bit. I'm not really sure why. I haven't found any helpful reviews, and the few things I've heard made me feel lukewarm about it. Don't tell me what you think, compare and contrast it to the other two.

Dark Souls 3 is Dark Souls 1 but faster paced and slightly more linear. There also is more Bloodborne-style body horror. If you like the other two games, you probably will like 3.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Cis Lord posted:

It's... okay. It's far more of a sequel to Dark Souls 1 than to 2, for what that's worth. The combat's sped up, which fixes some problems and introduces others. The combat can be really fun, but weapon balance is shot, even after the patches, and while the game gives the three Dark Souls dodge rolls you'll only ever use the midroll. Armor's both useless and has its own dedicated attribute. The world's a lot less interesting in terms of layout, and the while the game never has the same drop off in quality that Dark Souls did after Anor Londo, that's partly because the areas aren't that great to begin with. The art direction and visuals are pretty easily the worst in the series- large chunks of the game world look like they're made of grey mush.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
counterpoint: dark souls 3 is extremely polished and the slickest, most fully-realized experience of the 3, if you enjoyed the first two you will absolutely enjoy 3. I don't think most areas are lame, they are all consistently fun and decent in design imo

I was kinda lukewarm on it at first because I was expecting this game to be the Messiah of the Souls Series (that was my fault), but I have really grown to love it a lot during repeated playthroughs, and the added DLC's, while not really particularly stronger than the main game, do add a hefty chunk of content with some bad rear end bosses (and a few annoying gimmicks)

Just don't expect anything insanely fresh like bloodborne, DS3 is an excellent dark souls game that many regard as the best one out of the three for a variety of valid reasons

Me? I can't choose between the three, they're all so good (and kinda lovely) in their own, unique ways!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

May I ask why not? It's a pretty big opening once you learn where she's gonna be by the snow's movement. Even if she's standing against the wall so you can't get her back it's still a good window to get 2-3 melee hits and roll away.

because I'm underleveled, started out being a sorcerer and therefore prioritized reinforcing my magic stick and now I don't have a melee weapon that would make backstabbing her worthwhile.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sum Gai posted:

The combat can be really fun, but weapon balance is shot, even after the patches, and while the game gives the three Dark Souls dodge rolls you'll only ever use the midroll.
I have never used any roll in this game other than the fastroll and as long as you're not talking about pvp(which has always only had a small selection of viable weapons if the players fighting actually know what they're doing) weapon balance is fine.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

I have never used any roll in this game other than the fastroll and as long as you're not talking about pvp(which has always only had a small selection of viable weapons if the players fighting actually know what they're doing) weapon balance is fine.

In a game that has the straightsword one-handed R1 in it? Sure, okay, I'll take your word for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW if you guys haven't played them Dark Souls the board game and Bloodborne the card game are both pretty good. The board game's purely co-op while Bloodborne's about having the most points at the end so you're encouraged to dick each other over.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sum Gai posted:

In a game that has the straightsword one-handed R1 in it? Sure, okay, I'll take your word for it.

That feels more like a PvP meme/concern than anything considering every single Darksouls, the plain old Longsword loving owns.

Like, my very first idiot newbie playthrough of DS1 I shelved my Man Serpent Greatsword in favor of dusting off the Longsword I started the game with and getting a titanite slab put on it before anything else.

Meanwhile in DS3, despite "R1 spam, am I right? :jerkbag: " I get frustrated by straight swords in PvE in the long run. The regular moveset performs well but it just bugs me that the cool stance arts and stuff just... stop working. Can't guard break shield sporting PvE enemies anymore, can't even cause them to flinch if you hit them mid attack with it usually (and 'trade hits' with the dark sword's mini stomp art... hardly feels worth it compared to interrupting a silver knight's lightning blade with a flamberge or Executioner's sword art). It's a good weapon category as ever, but I just feel spoiled by the option of just chumping shield pontif knights or greatshield cathedral knights. "Oh wow, look at all the bloodstains. Two more just showed up. It must be a REAL BADASS over there... Oh it's a red eyed cathedral knight? Ahahahaha what a loving chump".

But all you ever hear people talk about is how :airquotes: "OP EZ" straight swords are because they get salty when people invest in a million stamina and swing it 8+ times in a row at them (Which will just get your rear end killed in many boss fights. Sure, just swing until the Dancer grabs you), as if it's a crime they are not a complete piece of trash because it's not their precious Black Knight weapon of whichever variety is as long as they are tall.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 24, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sum Gai posted:

Well, yeah. PvE isn't some hyperfocused thing where you have to be super optimal, you can use weapons that attack like 5x slower than the straight sword and still beat the game without significant problems. It's not like PvP where fighting with a slow weapon means you get endlessly punished for free.
My first run I used the spiked mace, which is slow, does an inconsequential amount of bleed and not super great damage for the speed. Beat all the content without any severe hangups. Nameless King took 4 tries.
After that I've beaten the game(or NG+, depending) with executioner's greatsword, onyx blade, grave warden twinblades, shotel, irithyll rapier, butcher knife and lucerne. None of these are "meta" weapons, all of these were perfectly fine for singleplayer.

I also beat the game exclusively using notched whip, but that was one of the few weapons which actually sucks, as well as: great wooden hammer, dagger, scholar's candlestick, follower's torch, dark hand(past earlygame), whip and spotted whip.
Everything else is absolutely viable for normal, non-PvP play.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Section Z posted:

That feels more like a PvP meme/concern than anything considering every single Darksouls, the plain old Longsword loving owns.

Like, my very first idiot newbie playthrough of DS1 I shelved my Man Serpent Greatsword in favor of dusting off the Longsword I started the game with and getting a titanite slab put on it before anything else.

Meanwhile in DS3, despite "R1 spam, am I right? :jerkbag: " I get frustrated by straight swords in PvE in the long run. The regular moveset performs well but it just bugs me that the cool stance arts and stuff just... stop working. Can't guard break shield sporting PvE enemies anymore, can't even cause them to flinch if you hit them mid attack with it usually (and 'trade hits' with the dark sword's mini stomp art... hardly feels worth it compared to interrupting a silver knight's lightning blade with a flamberge or Executioner's sword art). It's a good weapon category as ever, but I just feel spoiled by the option of just chumping shield pontif knights or greatshield cathedral knights. "Oh wow, look at all the bloodstains. Two more just showed up. It must be a REAL BADASS over there... Oh it's a red eyed cathedral knight? Ahahahaha what a loving chump".

But all you ever hear people talk about is how :airquotes: "OP EZ" straight swords are, as it it's a crime they are not a complete piece of trash because it's not their precious Black Knight weapon of whichever variety is as long as they are tall.

Longswords have always been good, yeah, I'm not arguing they should be bad weapons. But their base damage is higher than other light weapons, like spears, or even heavier weapons like scythes. And the one-handed R1 isn't just better than a lot of other attacks, it's got better DPS than the straightsword two-handed R1 (unless you're dealing with guys with shields). That isn't how it's supposed to work.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have a 6th sense that alerts me to when I am using a weapon with sub-optimal DPS.

Just kidding, I am not a loving loser.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

Just kidding, I am not a loving loser.

You post on Something Awful. Are you sure about that?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Sum Gai posted:

Longswords have always been good, yeah, I'm not arguing they should be bad weapons. But their base damage is higher than other light weapons, like spears, or even heavier weapons like scythes. And the one-handed R1 isn't just better than a lot of other attacks, it's got better DPS than the straightsword two-handed R1 (unless you're dealing with guys with shields). That isn't how it's supposed to work.

I admittedly have always found that more a case of "Why aren't these other weapons BETTER?" than wishing the swords were worse. All that means is everything sucks more.

I mean, most non ultra axes get the shaft in Dark souls games on that front, while generally being more rare on top. I hear plain axes were pretty sweet in Demon's souls, apparently? I'm cool when playing around with a mace or small spear isn't "Optimal numbers". But looking at a planner and seeing how lackluster I'd end up with a battle axe whether it's DS3 or DS2 for no reason is... blah.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sum Gai posted:

You post on Something Awful. Are you sure about that?

I eliminated the background noise when i made that measurement, and adjusted for detector biases. So yeah OK YOU GOT ME

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I feel like a lot of the bad weapon balancing is exasperated by the lackluster infusing system.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Sum Gai posted:

Lol I thought straight swords were garbage my first two files. Weapon range is worth a lot.
Also you basically do the same damage in a full Stamina bar with any decent weapon.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

I feel like a lot of the bad weapon balancing is exasperated by the lackluster infusing system.

In order from dark souls to dark souls 3, I got increasingly less interested in infusing my weapons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

In order from dark souls to dark souls 3, I got increasingly less interested in infusing my weapons.

The ones that boost your scaling seem like pretty excellent options, though.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Elemental infusions own now. Long over due but better late than never

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

What? DS1 had the worst infusion system* and DS3 is the first game I even bother infusing my weapons because in DS1/2 it was almost always better to just never infuse and just go normal.

*if we don't count Demon's Souls obviously

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, i'm just disappointed I can't make my Black Bow Sharp. Where's my S Dex scaling gone, From?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The only time i ever used infusions in 1 was on challenge runs and i finished that game over a dozen times. And yes, its lock on restricting you to 4 way rolling is by far the worst in the series. So yes, DS1 owns, people are having serious nostalgia memory holes, and neither of these facts are new or surprising in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
DS2 let you infuse innate-Lightning weapons with Lightning and then cast Lightning buffs on them for comical amounts of elemental damage though, y'all Dark Souls 2ing wrong.