Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Prime rib question. I bought this 5 pound cut from Costco yesterday. It was labeled "Beef Ribeye Roast USDA Boneless Choice." The butcher assured me it was the same cut as a prime rib, just without the bones.

Look at the photos of each end of the cut. It doesn't seem to have a lot of marbling. Is it possible it was cut from different ribs than the prime rib cut? Or is this really a nice rack of prime rib, just without the ribs?

I plan to cook it using Serious Eats' method, basically a reverse sear. I've reverse-seared individual ribeye steaks with great luck. Would that work here?

Also, how does this menu sound for a dinner party?

Starter: Comte cheese, salami, canteloupe and grapes on a spread
Main Course: Prime rib, glazed baby carrots, roast asparagus, roasted potatoes. Chimichurri and au jus sauce (I hate horseradish)
Dessert: Creme Anglais on angel food cake, with blueberries, strawberries and sliced peach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bagheera posted:

Prime rib question. I bought this 5 pound cut from Costco yesterday. It was labeled "Beef Ribeye Roast USDA Boneless Choice." The butcher assured me it was the same cut as a prime rib, just without the bones.

Look at the photos of each end of the cut. It doesn't seem to have a lot of marbling. Is it possible it was cut from different ribs than the prime rib cut? Or is this really a nice rack of prime rib, just without the ribs?

I plan to cook it using Serious Eats' method, basically a reverse sear. I've reverse-seared individual ribeye steaks with great luck. Would that work here?

Main Course: Prime rib, glazed baby carrots, roast asparagus, roasted potatoes. Chimichurri and au jus sauce (I hate horseradish)
Dessert: Creme Anglais on angel food cake, with blueberries, strawberries and sliced peach

Prime rib is just another term for standing rib roast. It doesn't necessarily mean that it is USDA prime beef. That is obviously not USDA prime beef, as you said it is choice.

The serious eats method will work fine for that. Low and slow until it gets to the temp you want, then rest and finish it in the hottest oven you can manage.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Bagheera posted:

Can I come?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bagheera posted:

au jus sauce

As dem said, prime rib is just standing rib roast with prime meat, all your ish looks good, just commenting cause "au jus sauce" is triggering AF

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

As dem said, prime rib is just standing rib roast with prime meat, all your ish looks good, just commenting cause "au jus sauce" is triggering AF

You are a sensitive lad, aren't you?

BRB, I need to go use the ATM Machine.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

cool, can you pass by a taqueria and get me some grilled carne asada steak while you're out? TIA

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Squashy Nipples posted:

Don't forget your PIN number

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

cool, can you pass by a taqueria and get me some grilled carne asada steak while you're out? TIA

Don't forget the queso cheese. That's the best kind

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sometimes this thread is rage inducing.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

That Works posted:

Goons will continue to be pedantic as gently caress.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Y'all bouncing because you been drinking too much cafe coffee. Chill and have some chai tea.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
I like having​ coffee with my egg omelette.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
What should the consistency of risotto be like? Mac and cheese? Soupier?

I'm following a mushroom spinach risotto recipe that calls for orzo. You do the sauteed onion/butter/flour base then add the orzo and liquid. It absolutely killed it with the SO and I liked the results too but....I imagine Tony Shalhoub's character from Big Night insulting my consistency without discretion.

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 22, 2017

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That Works posted:

We should work on limiting that. Chill out folks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Peetown Manning posted:

I'm following a mushroom spinach risotto recipe that calls for orzo. You do the sauteed onion/butter/flour base then add the orzo and liquid. It absolutely killed it with the SO and I liked the results too but....I imagine Tony Shalhoub's character from Big Night insulting my consistency without discretion.
It should say in a pile on the plate, it shouldn't really spread all the way out and be watery at all.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

It should say in a pile on the plate, it shouldn't really spread all the way out and be watery at all.

disagree, it should most definitely not stay in a pile on the plate. it shouldn't be watery either. it should be in between, should spread out but not be soupy

visual AIDS
http://www.mariobatali.com/recipes/risotto-colla-zucca/
http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/risotto-milanese-saffron-risotto/

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Creamy is the usual descriptor of rissotto.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Peetown Manning posted:

It should spread out into a flat disc.

Now, you may like it thicker/stiffer than that and I'm not gonna judge, but the experts say it should spread out on a plate (to 1/2" thick or so, I believe)

Edit: As soon as you get risotto to the consistency you want, add another ladle of stock because that poo poo will thicken back up the instant you turn your back

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 22, 2017

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GrAviTy84 posted:

disagree, it should most definitely not stay in a pile on the plate. it shouldn't be watery either. it should be in between, should spread out but not be soupy

I'm sure it's regional and depends on are you serving it with something, are you just eating a bowl of it...but this is kind of what I mean:

You can see it's still holding its shape.

I'd say this is about as creamy as I prefer it

On the other hand as long as it's delicious who cares.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I'm sure it's regional and depends on are you serving it with something, are you just eating a bowl of it...but this is kind of what I mean:

You can see it's still holding its shape.

I'd say this is about as creamy as I prefer it

On the other hand as long as it's delicious who cares.

Counterpoint:

the article posted:

What is perfect risotto? First off, it should be saucy in texture. A perfect plate of risotto should flow like lava if you tilt the plate. Spoon it onto a hot dish (and you must use a hot dish), and it should slowly spread out until it forms a perfectly level disk. Sticky, tacky—or worse—gluey, are words that should never enter your head when eating it.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-the-science-of-risotto.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I add way too much parm to avoid gluey.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Liquid Communism posted:

We should work on limiting that. Chill out folks.

Oh I was just rolling along with the joke.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Thought I posted this already, but can you substitute panko for normal breadcrumbs in a meat loaf? Do they work as well as a binder?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Thought I posted this already, but can you substitute panko for normal breadcrumbs in a meat loaf? Do they work as well as a binder?

The density is different, so measure by weight instead of volume and it should be fine.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Measure breadcrumbs in meatloaf?

What is this strange thing?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So stuck with analysis paralysis in trying to break out of my standard meal ideas.

Can someone throw me a quick food recipe involving rice, that isn't too complicated?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Egg + rice

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Chillyrabbit posted:

So stuck with analysis paralysis in trying to break out of my standard meal ideas.

Can someone throw me a quick food recipe involving rice, that isn't too complicated?

If you're willing to go to an asian grocery store and buy a $5-10 tub of stuff that will last you a while, you can make some bibimbap!

Basically you get a bunch of plain rice, put cooked vegetables + a fried egg on top, then pour in some hot pepper sauce and mix it all up.

You need to get gochujang, korean fermented pepper paste. Comes in red tubs, usually next to brown and green tubs. I usually do maybe a heaping teaspoon to a tablespoon, add (all to taste) in a dash of oil, sesame oil, a splash of vinegar, and a tiny splash of soy sauce. Mix it up well and add to your rice to taste.

The vegetables don't have to be too complicated, literally any cooked vegetable is good. So take whatever you have in your fridge/freezer/is on sale at the grocery and fry it up or steam it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rice and peas is another option.

Just going to lift the recipe I use from it's source :

Ingredients
1 can (19oz) Kidney beans, including liquid
1 can (14 oz) Coconut milk
Water (approx 1-2/3 cups)
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 Small onion or 2 stalks scallion, chopped
1 tsp Dried thyme
1˝ to 2 tsp Salt, to taste
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
2 cups Long grain rice (rinsed and drained)

Method
1. Drain the liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup and
add the can of coconut milk and enough water to make four cups of liquid
2. Add liquid, beans, garlic, chopped onion and thyme to large pot
3. Add salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Add rice and boil on High for 2 minutes.
5. Turn heat to Low, and cook covered until all water is absorbed (about 15 to 20 min).
6. Fluff with fork before serving.
Makes 8 Servings

It doesn't mention it here, but I usually put a couple habeneros (a single scotch bonnet is traditional) on top when you turn the heat down to low, and remove before serving.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Wanna make a simple chili that has the consistency/texture of something like Skyline but doesn't taste like cinnamon buttholes. Any thoughts on how to achieve that? I'm good on flavoring/spices but just want to make a few servings to put over spaghettis.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
At what stage can I marinade defrosting chicken (if at all)?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How do you goons find a butcher? It looks like there's not a local butcher for loving 45 miles around. I can't handle another lovely supermarket cut of steak, and you can't find any odd cuts at all

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Capsaicin posted:

Wanna make a simple chili that has the consistency/texture of something like Skyline but doesn't taste like cinnamon buttholes. Any thoughts on how to achieve that? I'm good on flavoring/spices but just want to make a few servings to put over spaghettis.

Just leave out any large items e.g. beans, bell pepper, chunks of tomatoes and add the meat to your liquid without browning it first and whisk it up real good so no large chunks remain?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

How do you goons find a butcher? It looks like there's not a local butcher for loving 45 miles around. I can't handle another lovely supermarket cut of steak, and you can't find any odd cuts at all

Some groceries have in-house butchers that will do custom cuts and such. If there's a sign saying 'We Break Packages' over the meat counter, that means there's probably a somewhat capable butcher back there.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
EDIT: My reading comprehension is bad. I missed the bit where you wanted just the consistency, not the flavor, of Skyline chili. I'm leaving this up here anyway in case someone wants to try it.

BTW, just call it "greek beef sauce." It tastes just as good, and you don't get attacked by a mob of Texans.

Capsaicin posted:

My family's from the tri-state area (southeast Indiana, southwest Ohio, north and east Kentucky), and I grew up eating Skyline. The recipe below is the closest I've found. I generally reduce (or omit) the chili powder and add a teaspoon or two of cocoa.
Make this a day before. The day you make it, it will be a bit flavorless, even after hours in a slow cooker. After 24 hours in the fridge, it's bursting with flavor.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cincinnati-style-chili-11340

quote:

INGREDIENTS

3 onions, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 pounds ground beef chuck
1/3 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon dried orégano, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
1 bay leaf
3 cups water
a 16-ounce can tomato sauce
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
2 tablespoons molasses
spaghetti, kidney beans, chopped onion, grated Cheddar, and oyster crackers as traditional accompaniments if desired

Bagheera fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 24, 2017

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

Some groceries have in-house butchers that will do custom cuts and such. If there's a sign saying 'We Break Packages' over the meat counter, that means there's probably a somewhat capable butcher back there.

Good advice!
The lovely little Stop 'n Shop supermarket near my house had a surprisingly competent butcher who would order me special stuff. He was an old dude who had been there forever. Of course, then they closed the market, fired everybody, and turned my suburban poo poo-burg town into a literal food desert.

Also, I've found the Wholefoods butchers to be really good. Of course, their prices are obscene, but there are very few real butcher shops left these days, even in civilized places.
One of the Boston Goons cuts meat at one of the Boston Wholefoods, and he is a Master of Meats.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

Also, I've found the Wholefoods butchers to be really good. Of course, their prices are obscene, but there are very few real butcher shops left these days, even in civilized places.
One of the Boston Goons cuts meat at one of the Boston Wholefoods, and he is a Master of Meats.

I live in rural loving nowhere Alabama.
I honestly find it super disappointing that we raise poo poo loads of cows, ship them off to some mass slaughter house, process them all and then send them all back to the supermarkets in little prepackaged boxes.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I live in rural loving nowhere Alabama.
I honestly find it super disappointing that we raise poo poo loads of cows, ship them off to some mass slaughter house, process them all and then send them all back to the supermarkets in little prepackaged boxes.

If you're adventurous, you might want to check in at the local feed store and see if anyone local raises a few pigs or a cow for family. You can sometimes get a few primo pounds of 'For Pet Consumption Only' steaks, ribs and grind. Remember, legally, you are buying non-USDA inspected meat FOR THE DOG. And the dog is VERY particular that he get tomahawk ribeye steaks.

However, if they direct you to a place that's slaughtering horses and stuff, stay away. You don't want to get involved in that.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

That's a really good idea. All 3 of my cats are very picky about their shoulder tender and tri tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

That's a really good idea. All 3 of my cats are very picky about their shoulder tender and tri tip

I used to live in a pretty rural area, and it was quite common to buy like, a quarter of a goat/sheep/cow or something and the dude who owned it would either butcher it him/herself or hire someone to butcher and portion it out based on whatever cuts/amounts his/her friends/family/neighbors wanted. Some people didn't want to deal with that and would only sell literal whole or half animals, and so you'd have to break it down or hire someone yourself and presumably split it up amongst a bunch of people unless you had a giant freezer and a big family. I dunno. Point is, talk to people, there's almost assuredly someone out there willing to sell you some decent meat.