Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Or, in game literally inspired by EVA, the devs going "What, no, you can't play a human-alien hybrid psychic piloting a monstrous living mecha, they're all teenagers so can't be in the military"

Which is funny, because you'd think people with a massive hardon for being edgelords would be all over having child soldiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Also magic was amusingly terrible and the Dreamlands were nuked for no reason.

Edit: And let's not even get into the mishandling of the Mythos, like Hastur leading a barbarian rape horde.

Those are two related issues, which all lead back to the central problem: The creators wanted to make a mega-evil hyper-rape game, and just slapped some Cthulhu stuff on their fairly generic anime future game but for adults. So there can't be any Dreamlands, because the Dreamlands are a place where humanity is empowered and things are relatively hopeful in comparison. Same reason eldritch beings beyond the ken of man are leading generically evil rape cults. Because that's eeeeeeevil and that's what the game is about. Literally the only purpose of the Mythos in the game is Western brand recognition. Like hey, here's Arkham. Ok now it's blown up so we can go play in our areas.

Needless to say nothing good happens when you take a brand name and slap it on some try hard bullshit to try to give it legitimacy.

Not that that applies to anything in this thread.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hostile V posted:

The only thing that's remotely enjoyable about CTech is they thought, in planning, "alright, we're gonna have tiers of scale like Unknown Armies or Warhammer/40K. We're gonna have the ability to play ground games, to play magic focused-games, to play Guyver-focused games, to play mecha-focused games. And people will like being able to play different levels of games". But they didn't, uh, put those rules in there and their release schedule never really made that entirely coherent or explicit.

Which leads to the best part of CTech: making the creators very sad and annoyed by asking them "hey so can my Guyver pilot an Eva?" "No. No they cannot." "The rules don't say they can't!" "gently caress you, don't you do that with my product!" That and being able to just buy and field mecha at a ground-game level, trivializing everything and annoying the creators further.
I think they even went to the lengths of saying no, Guyvers can't be in the military for reasons and then one adventure has a guyver who's in the military as an NPC.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
CTech might've faded into more obscurity but it was a really nicely produced book for the time, I remember liking the art in the core...and then steadily being turned off by the text. I never even got into the supplements. Basically it presented a relatively novel premise combining two popular things (which it completely failed to stick) and wrapped it up all pretty. Someone eventually bought the book from me for slightly more than I paid for it so win I guess.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Hostile V posted:

Which leads to the best part of CTech: making the creators very sad and annoyed by asking them "hey so can my Guyver pilot an Eva?" "No. No they cannot." "The rules don't say they can't!" "gently caress you, don't you do that with my product!" That and being able to just buy and field mecha at a ground-game level, trivializing everything and annoying the creators further.

Being able to say "gently caress your rapey club scene story line, i'm literally blowing the roof off this place." with the truck sized assault rifle of a five story tall giant robot is pretty freaking hysterical.

Really, the devs should have anticipated that. Any time you create the option to engage in different levels of play at different tiers of power like that you'll inevitably have someone try to scheme up a way to engage in the tabletop equivalent of asymmetric warfare.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 20, 2017

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Rereading the books every time I run a game for a template I haven't touched in a while was a really good idea. I'm setting up a Task Force: VALKYRIE game right now and thought I had everything planned out but I'm getting a lot of good ideas for little sub-plots now that I'm refreshing myself with the Hunter book.

The biggest example would be including Network Zero as an antagonist harping on about "freedom of information" and outing the identities and locations of the party and generally making undercover work very difficult.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Ah, so that's how Tupac could put all those dots into Performance!

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Wow V5 looks like a hot pile of mechanical garbage. They've brought back 'penalties can either come in dice pool maluses or an increase to the required number of successes and we're not going to tell you which is which' in force. Additionally, the baseline for a 'Challenging' roll, which is only halfway up the difficulty chart, requires you to get five successes. Successes on a 6+ and an absolute hard dice cap if you minmax like an absolute oval office, have 5 in a stat, 5 in a skill and a specialty in each is 12 dice so 6 successes on average. Feeding rolls in that scenario are Difficulty 4 and 5. You need to have stats as spiky as an Exalted 2E character to have even a vague hope of sometimes passing reasonably difficult rolls with that ruleset.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Well, you ARE allowed to Succeed At A Cost if you roll exactly one success fewer than required, so there's that.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
which one of you is this

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

crime fighting hog posted:

which one of you is this

Feel old yet?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
According to his brother's Facebook page, Stewart Wieck died today.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 24, 2017

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kurieg posted:

According to his brother's Facebook page, Stewart Wieck died today.

Aw dude, what the gently caress. He was pretty young, in the scheme of things. That blows. My condolences to his friends and family.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

He was posting on twitter just yesterday, one of his friends tweeted that he died shortly after fencing practice.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Did they say if that was related? Jesus, he was only 49.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I've got no idea. I imagine we'll find out more this weekend/monday.

https://twitter.com/TheOnyxPath/status/878459431893303296

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The other thing that CthulhuTech ripped off was Macross; the weird night-elf mi-go people were pretty much exactly Zentradi without any of the charm or unique abilities of "being thirty feet tall."

It would be pretty tight to have Zentradi fight the Mythos, honestly.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Presented without comment, one of the PCs from that really high powered oWoD game I was in a couple of years ago, whose stats I found on Obsidian Portal just now. oWoD is loving crazy, yo.

quote:

Dr Ione Kepke

Antitribu Voivode of the Tzimisce, Justicar Without Portfolio

Attributes
Physical

Strength (Powerful Arms, Reserves of Strength, Vicious) 6 (+5 Potence),
Dexterity (Feline Grace, Precise, Lightning Reflexes) 6 (+5 Celerity),
Stamina (Tireless, Determined, Tough As Nails) 6 (+5 Fortitude)

Social

Charisma (Graceful, Eloquent, Smooth Talker) 6,
Manipulation (Misdirection, Seductive, Well Reasoned, Persuasive, Conjurer of “Facts”) 8,
Appearance 2 (Devilish, Photogenic, Unconventional Looks, Unforgettable Face, Haunting, Divine) (+7 Flesh-crafting)

Mental

Perception (Attentive, Insightful, Discerning) 6,
Intelligence (Analytical, Creative, Problem Solver) 6,
Wits (Getting the Jump on Others, Witty Bon Mots, Changes in Strategy) 6

Abilities
Talents

Alertness 3,
Athletics 2,
Awareness 3,
Brawl 3,
Empathy 2,
Expression 2,
Intimidation (Physical, Pulling Rank, Torture, Coercion, Veiled Threats) 8,
Leadership 1,
Subterfuge (Impeccable Lies) 4

Skills

Crafts (Sewing, Appraisal, Body Craft, 7, 8) 8,
Etiquette 3,
Performance 3,
Stealth 1,
Survival 1

Knowledges

Academics 2,
Investigation 3,
Medicine (Body Craft, the Kindred Condition, Poison, Therapy, 7, 8) 8,
Occult (Kindred Lore, Noddist Lore, Koldunism, Infernalism, Rituals) 8,
Politics 3,
Science 2,
Technology 1

Advantages
Disciplines
Clan

Animalism,
Auspex 1,
Dominate 1,
Fortitude 5,
Presence 1,
Quietus 7 (6 Quicken the Mortals Blood) (7 Leech),
Vicissitude 9 (6 Chiropteran Marauder, Blood of Acid, Plastic Form, Living Testudo, Graft Life to Life) (7 Kraken’s Kiss, Transcend the Flesh, Impaler’s Fence) (8 Will Over Form, Bauble, Breath of the Dragon) (9 Perfect Essence)

Out of Clan

Celerity 5,
Potence 5,
Protean 7 (6 Flesh of Marble) (7 Shape of the Beast’s Wrath, Spectral Body)
Kuldonic Sorcery 3 (1 Hospitality) (2 Invoke the Lesser Sign of Power) (3 Sentinels of the Haven)

Paths

Kuldonic Sorcery: The Way of Fire 3

Combination Disciplines

Body Armoury, Flaying Touch, Ears of the Bat, The False Drink.

Backgrounds

Status (Camarilla) 6, Resources 3, Retainers 3, Influence (Health) 5, Herd 1
Virtues

Conscience 5, Self-Control 5, Courage 5
Merits

Bioluminescence 1, Language (English), Open Road 2, Pain Tolerance 2, Promethean Clay 5
Flaws

Unblinking 1, Faceless 3, Privacy Obsession 3
Other

Path of the Honourable Accord 5, Willpower 10, Blood Pool max 40, 8/turn.

Not 3

Nature: Director, Demeanour: Monster, Clan: Tzimisce, Generation: 5th

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is that a Camarilla Justicar?

For some reason, on top of that giant pile of numbers "Herd 1" strikes me as really amusing.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Thousand Years of Night seems pretty okay, I'm glad it wasn't just a list of "Disciplines, but MOAR".

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Spector29 posted:

Thousand Years of Night seems pretty okay, I'm glad it wasn't just a list of "Disciplines, but MOAR".

Most of it is excellent, but about half of the final chapter is absolutely dogshit.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

Doodmons posted:

Presented without comment, one of the PCs from that really high powered oWoD game I was in a couple of years ago, whose stats I found on Obsidian Portal just now. oWoD is loving crazy, yo.

It's good that he only has Technology 1. That kind of flaw really makes a character more interesting.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Phil Brucato gets a lot of (largely deserved) flack, but he had some good things to say about Stewart Wieck.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Doodmons posted:

His visscisitude is higher than his generation allows.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Is that a Camarilla Justicar?

Yeah.

That game was weird.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Magnusth posted:

His visscisitude is higher than his generation allows.

Yeah, he got Vicissitude 9 off of a demon deal with Kupala. The only character in the party who made it to 9 dots in a Discipline.

This is the same character who managed to kill the Ventrue Antediluvean by baiting him into punching Kepke in the face, leading to Ventrue getting sprayed with like a hundred litres of high-pressure poisoned acid blood and melting like the Wicked Witch of the West. Kepke survived with a single health box not full of aggravated damage thanks to a lucky fortitude roll.

The rest of the player party can largely be summarised as:
1) 'How many times can we write the word 'Thaumaturgy' on one sheet? (a whole lot)
2) 'Weapon of choice: Seven thousand eight hundred shadow tentacles (we rolled them out once). Plus Abyss Mysticism and Assamite Sorcery.'
3) 'Why did anyone let the fifth-gen Malkavian get his hands on elder level Temporis?'

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Are there fast rules for tear gas in any of the books? I'm away from my apartment and trying to type up some notes for tonight's session and can't remember!

KirbyJ
Oct 30, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Most of it is excellent, but about half of the final chapter is absolutely dogshit.
I still have a full chapter and change of fluff to read and I only skimmed the mechanics but so far I'm kinda disappointed with the book as a whole. It's really good at putting a character together and creating a web if intrigue around them before dropping them in play, but the details of actually being an elder are lackluster.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

crime fighting hog posted:

Are there fast rules for tear gas in any of the books? I'm away from my apartment and trying to type up some notes for tonight's session and can't remember!

Which edition? For nWoD that'd be a pretty standard environmental tilt. Perception / roll penalties and probably modest bashing damage to account for respiratory problems

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Which edition? For nWoD that'd be a pretty standard environmental tilt. Perception / roll penalties and probably modest bashing damage to account for respiratory problems

That's what I'm going with. Thanks! The God Machine is going to send some goons to capture the egghead my Hunters are using to learn how to kill the monster they saw last session.

Tear canisters launched into the church through stained glass as shaved head goons with SMGs storm the abbey. It's gonna own.

Pachakuti
Jun 25, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dammit Who? posted:

LOL.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

We had our first dramatic failure last night.

Our socialite hipster character got busted at the scene of a bombing and was arrested, led out to a police car in full view of national media who is now blasting him as a suspect (he's not).

Then he rolled insanely well to pick his handcuffs with a bobbypin from his whiteboy dreads and kicked out the copcar window to escape and meet back up with the other hunters.

I love this game.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Dammit Who? posted:

I've been trying to figure this out and I'm stumped. Can someone explain the joke?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
No Phone was a favourite flaw for min/maxers in the oWoD.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Oh, huh, I don't remember that at all.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Oh, huh, I don't remember that at all.
Most people I played with didn't allow it because it was the biggest "free points" flaw. Oh, you don't have a phone so everyone else has to go out of their way to get you involved, or we split the party, or we look like assholes for not involving you. Great.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Nah, it was "better" than that. It wasn't like you were technophobic or had an anti-phone aura or something. You could 100% take the Flaw and then go out and buy a phone in the first session.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
The people I knew who did allow the stupid thing also ruled that if you wanted to buy a phone you had to buy off the flaw first. Don't know if that's better or worse, honestly.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I had completely blocked off that, but yes, I did have a min-maxing player with that flaw the first time I ran a game. It was not allowed ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

As I recall, that flaw was first shown in Demon, wasn't it?

Which was a mechanical mess in so many ways.