Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the botw inventory would be good on the wii u tablet like it was obviously meant to be. other than that it's bog standard serviceable at best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

astroneer
I was just trying to remember the name of this game, thank you. searching google for pc space planet game wasn't helping

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RE4's inventory is awesome. I like inventory Tetris because powerful rear end poo poo is more annoying to lug around by pure size which is fun.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Fable 3 was a poopy game but I did like the gimmick where your inventory system was a pocket dimension buttled by John Cleese that actually had your items laid out for you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

OK, so after playing Heart's Medicine for half an hour, I can confidently say it creates a better first impression than Breath of the Wild. It may be my Game of the Month after Tekken 7

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I can't believe my power went out for 2 hours and now people are saying Zelda is bad.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aPJCHcHxkc

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The reason people give most open world games poo poo for "you can go anywhere" is because one location is basically the exact same as the other and the only differentiation is what sort of random side missions you can do there.

Breath of the Wild's open world is incredibly varied. Gerudo Desert couldn't be more different from Zora's Domain in aesthetics and traversal.

Yes, the shrines are a bit samey and I think they could have been realized a little better, but the fun part is supposed to be getting to them.

Also if the art style of BotW looks like "generic open world game" to you I think we've been playing different games?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

don't dox me

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the rejection of linearity in the game leaves about 90% of the experience feeling homogenous imo. if the content had just a few more bottlenecks i think they could have done way more interesting things like how dark souls blows your mind with anor londo by clearly segmenting the two phases of the game it allows them to up the ante in ways beyond just level scaling enemies like botw does. idk

i actually hate posting about zelda now because i very much love the game but my desire to replay is really sapped by a lot of little things and my posts on it sound really negative when i think everyone should enjoy doing wacky poo poo in it. maybe G3.5/F5 on the chat thread scale for me.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I do understand the criticisms of BotW, it's not a perfect game. For me though, it was a more fully realized world than any other game I've played. I will say Dark Souls comes very close though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

An interesting thing about games is that often people mention "I love it but I don't want to replay it" as a negative point. But I think that comes with the territory when a single experience could be like 50 hours which is like watching the same movie 20 times . Or maybe the singular experience works specifically for the game. Like both of the Nier games are some of the best I've ever played but I will probably never play either of them ever again

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-Pzshi3-U

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Finishing up a no-abilities run of Ori made me really appreciate how stupid good the stomp is. I didn't even realize before it was effectively a 1/2 screen sized projectile deflector and even repels stuff you can't Bash off of.

Managed to sell enough dumb cards and stuff to pick up Hollow Knight for free so that's next. Is that game designed more for Analog or D-Pad controls? Gotta know which controller to plug in for it :v:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

An interesting thing about games is that often people mention "I love it but I don't want to replay it" as a negative point. But I think that comes with the territory when a single experience could be like 50 hours which is like watching the same movie 20 times . Or maybe the singular experience works specifically for the game. Like both of the Nier games are some of the best I've ever played but I will probably never play either of them ever again

True words. So many bad shrines though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKWheZ8JICQ

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

True words. So many bad shrines though

Yeah, not specifically about BOTW as I haven't played it yet myself

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOvxARtxqkw

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Never saw it coming :cheeky:

Once my friend toffile gets home I'm gonna get him to post the desktop bust drug gif because it's fuckin amazing hahaa

Yesssssss more people buying their games :D

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jay Rust posted:

I like Deus Ex's inventory tetris

I like RE4's inventory tetris, especially trying to make room for a fish larger than a shotgun because the merchant will buy it for like 3000

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Once my friend toffile gets home I'm gonna get him to post the desktop bust drug gif because it's fuckin amazing hahaa

Got the image from him (thanks toffile :D)

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How seriously am I supposed to take the drama in Heart's Medicine. Because it seems to want to be serious

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
wait you're loving kidding me. that americanime gregory house isn't the player character? how have i been tricked all this time

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

I bought The Swapper on the Steam Sale

So like is it possible to do a no-death run or what
A significant part of the puzzle-solving revolves around allowing yourself to die and either discarding or taking the place of your clones in order to progress, so no. Perhaps you could challenge yourself to be as efficient as possible, but I'm not sure why you'd bother.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

How seriously am I supposed to take the drama in Heart's Medicine. Because it seems to want to be serious

Take it as seriously as you want to. It is a game that goes for comedy, drama, romance, happiness, sadness, anger, and I think it handles its characters pretty well. I think the game's drama is basically on the level of a soap opera and in that way it is cheesy but endearing. I don't think it ever ends up as bad or anything like that. It's just kinda corny but in a charming way. It never comes off as inept and dreadful or so-awful-it's-funny, just goofy and silly. IMO.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

wait you're loving kidding me. that americanime gregory house isn't the player character? how have i been tricked all this time

I think the devs are from holland actually so

hollanime? :V

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

no, he's basically mcdreamy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

no, he's basically mcdreamy

Remember the part where you play a simple hidden object game in his house where you have to find all of his drug stashes so you can help him detox? Haha daniel is such a poo poo :P

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PantsBandit posted:

I do understand the criticisms of BotW, it's not a perfect game. For me though, it was a more fully realized world than any other game I've played. I will say Dark Souls comes very close though.

I can understand people having issues with BOTW too, but if "there weren't enough interesting things in the overworld" was one of them then man, I need to know what would have made it interesting for you.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I learned that Heart's Medicine is actually part of a shared universe that includes Delicious - Emily's Home Sweet Home, Fabulous - Angela's Fashion Fever, and Mary Le Chef - Cooking Passion. I think I am about to fall down a deep hole.

Also I played some more Zelda, sailing around south of Hateno Village and blowing up trees for wood and collecting frogs was actually fun I guess.

But Heart's Medicine, man

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Take it as seriously as you want to. It is a game that goes for comedy, drama, romance, happiness, sadness, anger, and I think it handles its characters pretty well. I think the game's drama is basically on the level of a soap opera and in that way it is cheesy but endearing. I don't think it ever ends up as bad or anything like that. It's just kinda corny but in a charming way. It never comes off as inept and dreadful or so-awful-it's-funny, just goofy and silly. IMO.

Yeah that's fair. I was just surprised that all of it is so... unsurprising.

I'm writing this having just finished the pharmacy level, and that kinda felt like the game was trying to deal with a ~serious issue~ in a heavy-handed kind of way, which as you say is kinda endearing because it's so earnest

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I learned that Heart's Medicine is actually part of a shared universe that includes Delicious - Emily's Home Sweet Home, Fabulous - Angela's Fashion Fever, and Mary Le Chef - Cooking Passion. I think I am about to fall down a deep hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDksEj-kcXk

>:]

(Ignore the weird love boat thing, though apparently the hidden object game is related too because it's a sequel to a previous series but they're redoing the art and incorporating it into the series and having Emily's sister-in-law as a costar)

Man I don't even know anymore, it seems like they're just saying gently caress it and bringing everything together for a huge party lol

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

In Training posted:

Yeah, I pretty much never replay games with a story.

Even if I really enjoy the game, I'll get an hour or two into the replay and just stop and think "what the gently caress am I doing? I have plenty of other new stuff to play and this isn't going to be any different than last time".

I don't do the no-shield, walking backwards only & starter weapons only type replays either because people who do that poo poo are mentally ill.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

spudsbuckley posted:

I don't do the no-shield, walking backwards only & starter weapons only type replays either because people who do that poo poo are mentally ill.

Please don't start this poo poo here.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Not to start a flame war but I have to say, video games rule

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

If anyone else besides me didn't realize the gift train would still be running despite new gifting restrictions... it is!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824602

Choo choo :)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BOTW is obviously not going to hit some people as hard others since so much of it relies on finding joy in the exploration. If the exploration doesn't grab you then BOTW is not going to be the amazing experience its fans are praising it for.

Personally, BOTW is one my favorite games. It's literally the only open world game ever where I've actually gotten into the exploration just for the sake of it.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 24, 2017

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Andrast posted:

BOTW is obviously not going to hit some people as hard others since so much of relies on finding joy in the exploration. If the exploration doesn't grab you then BOTW is not going to be the amazing experience its fans are praising it for.

Personally, BOTW is one my favorite games. It's literally the only open world game ever where I've actually gotten into the exploration just for the sake of it.

I've ignored horses for 90% of my playthrough and barely used fast travel because I just like running around and jumping off poo poo and gathering anything that glints.

Found 119 shrines on my own, still looking for the last one before I finally finish it. It's crazy that I'm still finding new little areas, I missed an entire stable until the last time i picked it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm really kind of bad at "making my own fun" in games and for me the most enjoyment usually comes out of executing something really well or getting into an involved story.

• Locked thread