Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

TildeATH posted:

Horses chomp at bits. The phrase is chomping at the bit. It's about being rearing to go, not about falling for some kind of lure.

Sorry got confused by how much your mom keeps chomping at my bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Demon Of The Fall posted:

He still should have. He should have been shouting from the rooftops. Doing nothing was a big mistake imo
No.

US Security IT authorities were afraid that Russian hacking was so deep and well-established that "shouting from the rooftops" might lead to Russia literally "hacking the voting machines." I mean, from the WaPo article the scope of Russian infiltration of our electoral process was unknown and a call to arms could trigger Russia's much more destructive disruption of our election than what is fairly well-understood at this time.

I mean, The Turtle being a dick was bad enough, but the Obama admin wasn't sure what the limits of Russia's hacking were, so they chose to wait. I suspect they were waiting for Hillary to win, but they had other good reasons.

There's more but I'm posting from behind in the thread and hopefully someone else has already posted this, but better.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Dr. Faustus posted:

No.

US Security IT authorities were afraid that Russian hacking was so deep and well-established that "shouting from the rooftops" might lead to Russia literally "hacking the voting machines." I mean, from the WaPo article the scope of Russian infiltration of our electoral process was unknown and a call to arms could trigger Russia's much more destructive disruption of our election than what is fairly well-understood at this time.

I mean, The Turtle being a dick was bad enough, but the Obama admin wasn't sure what the limits of Russia's hacking were, so they chose to wait. I suspect they were waiting for Hillary to win, but they had other good reasons.

There's more but I'm posting from behind in the thread and hopefully someone else has already posted this, but better.

Could the US Government try and force paper voting in that situation?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Gaunab posted:

If Obama shouted from the rooftops about Russia interfering with our elections and the GOP went against him, then I can people using it as evidence of a bias against Trump. It'd make the arguments of fake news and the deep state sabotaging Trump seem more legitimate for some people.

The unenlightened masses can't make judgment calls , news at 11.

(one of the best USPol derails was goons posting Metal Gear Rising song lines that were surprisingly appropriate.)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

Sorry got confused by how much your mom keeps chomping at my bit.

Didn't you just say his mother bit off your penis?

In what way is that insulting to him or his mother? Also doesn't it make you seem like kind of a rapist?

I feel like you didn't think that one through.

Wang_Tang
Jan 11, 2004

Cryptologic

NikkolasKing posted:

Say what you want about Hippies and the extremes some of them went to, but I'd still take them over these monsters. They are fighting to prop up a dying and evil system while framing it as a glorious struggle of the "oppressed." These shitlords haven't been oppressed a day in their miserable lives.

Why do they all look like they've been crying? Like, every Alt-Right figure on Twitter looks like they've been crying.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mulva posted:

In what way is that insulting to him or his mother? Also doesn't it make you seem like kind of a rapist?

Autist doesn't get joke, news at 11

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Turtlicious posted:

Autist doesn't get joke, news at 11

Is the news your inevitable suicide everyone that knows you has seen coming for years?

You don't have to wait for 11.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mulva posted:

You're not funny

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mulva posted:

Is the news your inevitable suicide everyone that knows you has seen coming for years?

I say you didn't get a joke, you tell me to kill myself.

nice.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Mulva posted:

What the hell. Dude, this is seriously messed up.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

JuniperCake posted:

What the hell. Dude, this is seriously messed up.

Please, it almost never works.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

you are real real mad on the internet

thegoonofaudio
Mar 21, 2008
Regarding the far right as a counterculture, maybe I'm spending too much time online so I'm seeing them more, but anyone finding it worrying at the amount of post-millenials that have seemed to embraced fascism as a counterculture? They're all over a lot of the internet with that kekistan/pol/altright bullshit. I hope it's just a loud minority of losers with way too much free time but wtf.

edit:spelling

thegoonofaudio fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 24, 2017

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

thegoonofaudio posted:

Regarding the far right as a counterculture, maybe I'm spending too much time online so I'm seeing them more, but anyone finding it worrying at the amount of post-millenials that have seemed to embraced fascism as a counterculture? They're all over a lot of the internet with that kekistan/pol/altright bullshit. I hope it's just a loud minority of losers with way too much free time but wtf.

They're the alt-light, man. It's DIFFERENT.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

This is the story I'm referencing.

As to your question, perhaps some Constitutional Lawyer or perhaps just a very clever horse with the ability to add small sums by beating the ground with its hoof could explain to you how derailing all absentee/mail-in voting, voting from soldiers abroad, and instantaneously replacing all voting machines with "paper voting" by Election Day was not a tenable premise for the "US Government" in the 2016 election.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

I didn't see this in the thread, from today's non-recorded press conference:

https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/878334872460197888

Also:

https://twitter.com/jeffzeleny/status/878345097296969735

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Rebel Blob posted:

I didn't see this in the thread, from today's non-recorded press conference:

https://twitter.com/MichaelCBender/status/878334872460197888

So 20 million people instantly lose coverage, how much money do the insurance companies lose? Billions? Could this cause some of them to go under?

This would be amazing. If Trump does it and ends up bankrupting all the insurance companies in one swoop the Dems job for Single Payer got a whole loving lot easier.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

So 20 million people instantly lose coverage, how much money do the insurance companies lose? Billions? Could this cause some of them to go under?

This would be amazing. If Trump does it and ends up bankrupting all the insurance companies in one swoop the Dems job for Single Payer got a whole loving lot easier.

They probably won't go under. They made money under the old system and they'd make money under the new. However it'd be a big hit to them and there would most likely be pretty large layoffs as a result. It'll look pretty bad though.

Also the strategy is a losing one. If you don't vote for this we'll defund the thing we're trying to repeal? That's nonsense. It'll only bring attention and show people early on how bad it'll be.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 24, 2017

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

God drat it, I'm not crying, you're crying. :cry:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

From what I understand (and I could be wrong) the Fed basically has no control over elections. It's all run by the states and the states have a mishmash of systems. Traditionally states ( especially red states) have been wary of handing over any control to the feds because hurf durf states rights. So when the Obama administration was various states in 2016 " hey the Russians are probing your voting systems please let us offer federal cyber security help" the states were like "gently caress off you're just trying to take away our states rights you evil fed bastards!"

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

From what I understand (and I could be wrong) the Fed basically has no control over elections. It's all run by the states and the states have a mishmash of systems. Traditionally states ( especially red states) have been wary of handing over any control to the feds because hurf durf states rights. So when the Obama administration told various states in 2016 " hey the Russians are probing your voting systems please let us offer federal cyber security help" the states were like "gently caress off you're just trying to take away our states rights you evil fed bastards!"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ice Phisherman posted:

They probably won't go under. They made money under the old system and they'd make money under the new. However it'd be a big hit to them and there would most likely be pretty large layoffs as a result. It'll look pretty bad though.

Also the strategy is a losing one. If you don't vote for this we'll defund the thing we're trying to repeal? That's nonsense. It'll only bring attention and show people early on how bad it'll be.

I bet they do it. :unsmigghh:

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

NikkolasKing posted:

I first heard it from Paul Joseph Watson but dunno if he was the first to say it.

Lest anyone forgot, Mr. Stupid Beard there is also the "how to piss in public" guy

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I actually literally feel bad for Donald Trump right now. Realtalk, as someone who watched a grandparent slide into Alzheimers, Trump is displaying serious signs of cognitive impairment. He reverts to younger behavior (discussing business over dinner) and leaks classified information in public literally right in front of the press. He forgets where he is in the middle of a photo op with Netanyahu and wanders off. This is not a guy who is fully grasping the contexts of where he is and what he's doing, and the mental degradation is so obvious from videos of even 10 years or so ago. He's in the hotseat of world power and he doesn't fully understand what is going on or what his actions will really do. Guy's probably confused why his usual approaches aren't working.

However we're now reaching the stage where he's literally being exploited by foreign leaders. The Qatari situation solely consists of the Saudis realizing that Trump is a senile loving chump who doesn't know where he is or the strategic needs of the US military in the middle east. It's highly likely his campaign has ties to the Russians regardless whether Trump knew or should have known, etc etc.

This is literally where Amendment 25 would be exercised by a healthy Congress. Trump doesn't know where he is or what he's doing, he's a distraction at best and at worst, a senile fool being exploited by foreign powers.

McCain is also loving senile. He tried to talk off the cuff and sundowned at a public hearing. Feinstein is not looking too great either.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 24, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I don't feel bad for trump because he has exploited and caused damage to countless numbers of people throughout his entire life, just because he's now got brain problems doesn't make him any more sympathetic for me.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't feel bad for trump because he has exploited and caused damage to countless numbers of people throughout his entire life, just because he's now got brain problems doesn't make him any more sympathetic for me.

At some point Trump will be gone and there will only be a Donald who doesn't understand what's going on or where Ivana (his first wife) went. He'll wonder where dad is. And then finally he'll forget how to breathe.

Alzheimer's disease is pretty widely considered one of the most horrific forms of death, the literal rotting of everything that makes you a thinking sentient being, and Trump's death sentence has already been signed. There is no current medicine or even frontier drug that can save him within the ~3-5 years of relative lucidity and 10-12 years of lifespan he has left. Aggressive therapy with neutropics and emerging anti-amyloid drugs can blunt some of this for maybe another year or two extra total life, maybe an extra 3-6 months of lucidity I'd guess.

Putting him in the hotseat is torture. He already can't handle it and is losing touch with what's going on. I severely doubt he could stand to run for re-election within his remaining lucidity let alone stand a second term. Or, you know, even handle a serious crisis, like a major US proxy state waging war on the most key strategic airbase on the planet.

Just tell the guy he won the Best President Ever award and they're retiring the office and letting him go back home.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 24, 2017

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Your intuition that the Federal Reserve System does not run any elections is correct.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

thegoonofaudio posted:

Post millennials can't even vote so no one truly knows how they'll trend. Won't know until like 2024.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Charliegrs posted:

From what I understand (and I could be wrong) the Fed basically has no control over elections. It's all run by the states and the states have a mishmash of systems. Traditionally states ( especially red states) have been wary of handing over any control to the feds because hurf durf states rights. So when the Obama administration was various states in 2016 " hey the Russians are probing your voting systems please let us offer federal cyber security help" the states were like "gently caress off you're just trying to take away our states rights you evil fed bastards!"

If I recall the Constitution expressly gives the federal government the right to override any state laws about election methods for federal offices, with the exception of where Senate elections are held. This doesn't make sweeping changes politically realistic, mind, just constitutional.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paul MaudDib posted:

At some point Trump will be gone and there will only be a Donald who doesn't understand what's going on or where Ivana (his first wife) went. He'll wonder where dad is. And then finally he'll forget how to breathe.

Alzheimer's disease is pretty widely considered one of the most horrific forms of death, the literal rotting of everything that makes you a thinking sentient being, and Trump's death sentence has already been signed. There is no current medicine or even frontier drug that can save him within the ~5 years of relative lucidity and 10-12 years of lifespan he has left.

Putting him in the hotseat is torture. He already can't handle it and is losing touch with what's going on. I severely doubt he could stand to run for re-election let alone stand a second term. Just tell the guy he won the Best President Ever award and they're retiring the office and letting him go back home.

I know, two of my grandparents had alzheimers, it super sucks. Doesn't mean I have to feel bad for him.

It's bad that he's president, but it's also good in that his brokenness is actively damaging the Republican party on a daily basis.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's the cheapest way to get a WaPo subscription? I've never paid for news before but I enjoy their articles and wouldn't mind tossing some money over to them but their website says it's :10bux: every four weeks or $130/year. This is a bit higher than I thought it would be because I was thinking more closer to like $40/year.

I don't have Amazon Prime and it doesn't even exist where I live now so there's that.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's the cheapest way to get a WaPo subscription? I've never paid for news before but I enjoy their articles and wouldn't mind tossing some money over to them but their website says it's :10bux: every four weeks or $130/year. This is a bit higher than I thought it would be because I was thinking more closer to like $40/year.

I don't have Amazon Prime and it doesn't even exist where I live now so there's that.

Their website says they're selling subscriptions for as low as $70 a year though?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Boris Galerkin posted:

Have you tried incognito mode in Chrome?

thegoonofaudio
Mar 21, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Post millennials can't even vote so no one truly knows how they'll trend. Won't know until like 2024.

True, I think it won't be till 2024 when we'll have enough data on post-mils to determine their voting habits. The oldest ones among them (if we're counting births from the year 2000 and beyond as post-millenials) will be voting in decent numbers in 2020 though.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Captain Invictus posted:

I know, two of my grandparents had alzheimers, it super sucks. Doesn't mean I have to feel bad for him.

It's bad that he's president, but it's also good in that his brokenness is actively damaging the Republican party on a daily basis.

I don't feel bad for Trump, I feel bad for Donald. I doubt he can retain what he heard earlier today let alone a year ago. Some stranger from the past put him on a rollercoaster ride and he'll return the favor to future Donald Trump in 15 minutes. Pretty soon he won't remember what he even ran on, he won't remember his wife or daughter, etc.

I mean isn't blanking your mind and torturing you like some Star Trek villain plot? Does the person that's left deserve to be tortured for something current-themselves never did?

Reminder: at this point someone is a literal retard mostly reacting to key long-term memories from their youth/early adulthood and probably has only a vague grasp on what's even going on in the present let alone short-term. You witnessed phantom conversations right? Or conversations with another dementia patient about shared events that never happened?

Damage to the Republican Party is all well and good but US proxy states are making strategic power grabs, direct conflict with Russia has erupted in Syria, and the US is backing out of key military and economic alliances like NATO and TPP. Everyone has had a chance to meet Trump and size him up and everyone recognizes Crazy Old Grandpa and know that he can be manipulated. Our allies are disgusted and dismayed and trying to stabilize their own situations given the chaos monkey that is Trump.

Trump is feeble and unable to execute the office and every other world leader can see it and is acting accordingly.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jun 24, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean isn't blanking your mind and torturing you like some Star Trek villian plot? Does the person that's left deserve to be tortured for something current-themselves never did?

Black Mirror, actually. :v:

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Reminder: at this point someone is a literal retard mostly reacting to key long-term memories and probably has only a vague grasp on what's even going on in the present let alone short-term.

It's called "Republican".

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
just imagine the horror: as you wake in your bed you have no idea where you are but a half-dozen strangers are staring down at you, and one of them is Steve Bannon

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

berserker posted:

Lest anyone forgot, Mr. Stupid Beard there is also the "how to piss in public" guy

I thought he was just a D-FENS cosplayer

• Locked thread