Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
People who sit on the aisle seat on the bus, when there's nobody in the window seat, and then don't move when the bus gets full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

People who sit on the aisle seat on the bus, when there's nobody in the window seat, and then don't move when the bus gets full.

Additionally, people who do this on commuter buses with only an extremely narrow center aisle, making it that much trickier to get past them to a free seat.

But yeah, preventing other people from utilizing space that you yourself are not utilizing is one of those things that drives me mad. I also see it a lot at bus stops, where someone is standing in front of a bench.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

cinni posted:

I mean, to have such a lack of faith in people that study subjects for lifetimes who try to find all the threads that tie into a problem that they think that their joe off the street opinion is just simply the correct solution is mind boggling... So yeah my pet peeve is also people who think they know more than 'experts' for no reason other than because they do.

Oh God yes, I can't tell you how many times I've heard people with little education, formal or otherwise, talk about their game-changing cure for cancer or blueprints for a free energy device. Like OK the first thing to come to your head is going to change the world forever and save millions of lives, when entire fields of study with some of the best minds working for years couldn't figure it out. OK buddy. Must be nice to think so highly of yourself, though.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

lidnsya posted:

On tv shows they always leave full plates of food when the characters get up from a meal. Often they will sit down, receive their food, have a conversation, then leave without eating anything. The only time they'll show an empty plate is when commenting on how hungry one of the characters is.

This, and also when people on tv talk on the phone--they always just hang up without saying goodbye. It irritates me so much.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Or people who stand in front of an empty seat on a tram or train. Either sit down or move out of the way so someone else can! :argh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm assuming that the actress used a spit bucket, but I do love the scene in Heathers in the aftermath of The Primary Heather's death where Heather Duke moves into her role, and at the same time finally gets over her Bulimia. She's just sitting in the locker room scarfing a chicken leg, and when asked by one of the other surviving Heathers whether she wants to purge later she just replies "gently caress it" and chucks the finished leg bone over her shoulder nonchalantly.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

lidnsya posted:

On tv shows they always leave full plates of food when the characters get up from a meal. Often they will sit down, receive their food, have a conversation, then leave without eating anything. The only time they'll show an empty plate is when commenting on how hungry one of the characters is.

In Pee-Wee's Big Adventure he has the breakfast machine make him breakfast and then eats a few bites of Mr. T cereal.

HELLO MR. BREAKFAST!

hrvat
Nov 8, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
balth blapper

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Google keyboard suggested "sintering" instead of "something". Even as someone who once-upon-a-time actually used the word "sintering" it's ridiculous.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i watch an enormous amount of youtube videos for my job and i have really, really come to hate vloggers, especially ones who put out a loving thirty-minute video that I have to painfully go through because i KNOW there's going to be profanity in there somewhere but i can't flag it until i'm certain

gently caress vloggers in general is what i'm getting at; who watches this poo poo? why is there all this stupid bullshit on youtube?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

YOUR job is reporting bad words in YouTube videos?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

i watch an enormous amount of youtube videos for my job and i have really, really come to hate vloggers, especially ones who put out a loving thirty-minute video that I have to painfully go through because i KNOW there's going to be profanity in there somewhere but i can't flag it until i'm certain

gently caress vloggers in general is what i'm getting at; who watches this poo poo? why is there all this stupid bullshit on youtube?

I've heard of some pretty miserable sounding jobs, but this has to be the worst I've heard of by far. I hope they at least pay you well for that, but I'd be surprised if they do.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

oldpainless posted:

YOUR job is reporting bad words in YouTube videos?

and nudity and violence and so on

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've heard of some pretty miserable sounding jobs, but this has to be the worst I've heard of by far. I hope they at least pay you well for that, but I'd be surprised if they do.

Yeah it sort of sucks and is tedious as all hell but it's money

Senator Sprinkles
Aug 16, 2008

Bamabalacha posted:

I hate bugs with a fiery passion.

We're up at my boyfriend's family cottage for Father's Day and everyone kept telling me "oh, the bugs aren't bad, you never even notice them!"

Even after drenching myself in bug repellant, I'm being swarmed, to the point where everyone else is even commenting on it.

Insects are my pet peeve.

I'm a target for mosquitoes as well! My boyfriend and his entire family love to sit on the back porch and shoot the poo poo for hours while smoking in the mosquito-infested, 95-degree East TX humidity. This gives me the choice of either sitting out there with them and getting covered in gigantic, itchy welts while i sweat to death breathing their stinky cigarette smoke, or being an antisocial shut-in and parking my fat rear end inside all alone. I really feel bad for him -- he's tried in earnest to quit smoking specifically for me, multiple times -- but literally every adult on both sides of his family smokes like a chimney and he keeps getting pulled back in. :( (or out, as the case may be!)

Also, gold foil on the tops of beer bottles. I notice this especially with Mexican beers. Why?! It just gets fake gold flecks everywhere!

Senator Sprinkles has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Jun 20, 2017

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

if you want the mosquitos to leave you be, get some pure vanilla extract and dab it on the places you sweat the most. it's gotta be the good stuff, though, the cheap stuff doesn't work. mud works too, but that's more for camping than for hanging out in the yard.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sociopastry posted:

if you want the mosquitos to leave you be, get some pure vanilla extract and dab it on the places you sweat the most. it's gotta be the good stuff, though, the cheap stuff doesn't work. mud works too, but that's more for camping than for hanging out in the yard.

Covering yourself in mud not only repels mosquitoes, but prevents the Predator from seeing you. Everyone should spend the summer covered in mud.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I will never forget walking into a mangrove swamp in summer in south florida. I was dousing myself in the strongest mosquito spray I could find and it mostly worked for exposed skin, but then I noticed they were getting me through/inside my shirt, in my hair etc. I lasted like 5 minutes, just long enough to take a picture and spent the rest of the day itching like crazy. I would not recommend this.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The key ingredient in effective bug repellant is deet

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
DEET NUT

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
My fresh antibug bite hot tip is taking half a Benadryl. Didn't make me drowsy and stopped the itching, woooo!

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!
All fast food drive-thru's should have their hours of operation listed in a corner of the menu where you can easily see it when you are trying to order late at night.

The other night I was in the middle of moving and wanted to grab something quick. It was past 11pm which I didn't think was super late since many fast food places are advertising that they are Open Late. Apparently not in my town. A worker at Burger King was outside smoking and yelled to me "Hey we're closed" as I pulled in, which I was grateful for. Then I went to Taco Bell and sat at the speaker ready to place my order for a minute or two until I realized they were closed too (whatever happened to 4th Meal?!?). Finally I was forced to go to Macdonalds to get my lovely cheap fast food.
It's not a huge deal but I know I have sat at the speaker ready to order plenty of times when it was later than I thought and I end up sitting there like an idiot until someone mopping inside takes pity on me and says they are closed or I give up and pull around to check the tiny sticker on the payment window. Why not put that info at the most convenient location?

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

King of Foolians posted:

All fast food drive-thru's should have their hours of operation listed in a corner of the menu where you can easily see it when you are trying to order late at night.

The other night I was in the middle of moving and wanted to grab something quick. It was past 11pm which I didn't think was super late since many fast food places are advertising that they are Open Late. Apparently not in my town. A worker at Burger King was outside smoking and yelled to me "Hey we're closed" as I pulled in, which I was grateful for. Then I went to Taco Bell and sat at the speaker ready to place my order for a minute or two until I realized they were closed too (whatever happened to 4th Meal?!?). Finally I was forced to go to Macdonalds to get my lovely cheap fast food.
It's not a huge deal but I know I have sat at the speaker ready to order plenty of times when it was later than I thought and I end up sitting there like an idiot until someone mopping inside takes pity on me and says they are closed or I give up and pull around to check the tiny sticker on the payment window. Why not put that info at the most convenient location?

This happened to me at Wendy's last weekend, but apparently I was there too early? I sat there like an idiot for like 3 minutes, then as I pulled away the lady in the drive thru window flagged me down and told me they had just opened. It was like 11:30 on a Saturday so I have no idea. At least I ended up getting my trash food.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I got the "I'm not X but..." today.

My job has a few locations and so people work at multiple buildings. One is in the gay neighborhood.

Guy: I worked at [gay neighborhood location] once... I'd never work there again. I have nothing against homosexuality, but I just can't do it
Me:why
Guy: they're just there, doing those... things. I can't watch it.
Me: what, like making out in public? (I assumed he was against PDA or something that could be construed as offensive)
Guy: no, just... they're wearing like.. the shorts *motions on thighs like where shorts would be
Me: oh (he was apparently against gay people just existing)
Guy: it's a great neighborhood though I would live there if I could. Everything is there (ie a huge variety of stores)

Also a peeve is that you have to smile and nod politely to this poo poo if you don't want to start conflicts at work, and this is a small size, at-will, hourly, minimum wage job so I can't afford conflicts and obviously there's no HR.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Thin Privilege posted:

Also a peeve is that you have to smile and nod politely to this poo poo if you don't want to start conflicts at work, and this is a small size, at-will, hourly, minimum wage job so I can't afford conflicts and obviously there's no HR.

I have a relatively new coworker who says some shock-humor racist things. She seems to think it's endearing (and it IS nice that she can joke around with the guys) but she takes it too far, and it makes me uncomfortable. My attempts to tell her to tone it down are usually played off as joking. I don't think she's malicious, she just doesn't have much social awareness and spends too much time on the internet. I don't feel like it'd be in my best interest to report her to HR because I'm a white dude and she's a triple-whammy minority; even if I could, I'm not sure I'd want to destroy her career over something she clearly thinks is harmless.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

walrusman posted:

she's a triple-whammy minority

shoves you with racism

I'm homeless, I'm gay, I have AIDS, and I'm new in town.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Whiz Palace posted:

shoves you with racism

I'm homeless, I'm gay, I have AIDS, and I'm new in town.

To be clear, she's not being racist toward me (or if she is I don't notice). It's mainly directed toward other coworkers and often her own ethnic group. And it doesn't make me uncomfortable like "oh no think of the cycle of oppression she's perpetuating," it's more like the general unease you feel watching someone carelessly walking along the edge of a cliff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People still slagging off Ringo Starr for his drumming after 50 years.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Wheat Loaf posted:

People still slagging off Ringo Starr for his drumming after 50 years.

Doesn't help that his own band slagged him off for fun. He was a good and inventive drummer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I go to a small gym that only has one squat rack. Normally not an issue as I go during slow times, but yesterday these two girls were in there for like 30 or 40 minutes doing poo poo with just the bar. I kept glancing to see if they were gone. Front squats, back squats, overhead presses, rows, and most egregiously of all, literally doing curls in the squat rack, with plates instead of a barbell or dumbbell. One of them didn't even use the bar for the OHP, just stood in the squat rack with a 30lb preloaded barbell. Why do you need the squat rack for that?? There's plenty of room to just grab a barbell and work wherever, and especially with a spotter you don't need the drat safeties for any of that.

People can barely even ask to work in at that point unless they want to go through the hassle of completely unloading and reloading the bar between every set.

Another pet peeve is anyone who claims multiple pieces of gym equipment at one time. Take a rack, take a machine, take a bench, take a barbell, or take some dumbbells. Don't grab several dumbells, a barbell, a few plates, and a rope attachment and then camp out at a machine while your backpacks hangs out "claiming" a bench. Have some courtesy.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Jun 24, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Welcome to Crossfit

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mu Zeta posted:

Welcome to Crossfit

I blame Crossfit for half the stupid stuff I see people doing in the gym. The upside is that sooner or later they injure themselves doing something stupid and then quit coming.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As well as being annoying there's some people I just don't get. Like doing infinity reps x light weights is painful as poo poo, and if you have the strength and stamina to keep throwing 45lbs for a good hour you can probably slap some weights on there, get your strength training in in half the time, and then go do some actual enjoyable cardio.

If it works for you it works for you I guess, but leave the squat rack/benches/shoulder press chair that have actual safeties and racks to load the bar for people who, you know, need those.

Also don't wander across half the gym during your "rest" between sets and then walk back and tell someone who's taken your spot that you were using that. This gym is like walmart, people lose spacial awareness and social decency when they walk in.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
People who can't get to the loving point on the phone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One gym thing that I always found annoying when I went was this one older man who would always load up the chest press machine with more weight than he could comfortably manage, strain (painfully, from what I could tell) through two reps and get up and leave it. I just have no idea what you get out of that other than sore arms. :shrug:

There was one other old dude who was in the same yoga class as me but always go from the yoga room to the changing room barefoot after class and left these disgusting sweat footprints everywhere but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Games that issue a lot of patches but makes you download each one individually instead of a comprehensive patch that includes all the past ones. I'd rather just let the one giant 30 gigabyte patch download instead of babysitting my ps4 making sure it started the next patch in the queue.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Waiting on a job to call you back.

I've been playing email tag all week, just waiting for the guy to call me. I worked for the company before, and I am on the "definitely rehire" list, so this is just a formality, but god drat it call me back.

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
New driving peeve:

when a ramp is closed on a highway.

If anyone knows the Oakville/Burlington area in Ontario Canada you know how annoying the Bronte creek is, and when the burloak ramp is closed going east bound it adds 20 min to my drive :(

edit: spelling

Coolspaz has a new favorite as of 21:26 on Jun 24, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking at my bank statement on the bank's website, I notice a transaction whereby a large amount of money was paid out of my account, with no details concerning the recipient whatsoever. It's really annoying me. I can't work out where it's gone or why.

It isn't the first time it's happened and there is a regularity to it, so it's presumably something I'd set up previously, but every time it happens I end up scratching my head about what it could be.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking at my bank statement on the bank's website, I notice a transaction whereby a large amount of money was paid out of my account, with no details concerning the recipient whatsoever. It's really annoying me. I can't work out where it's gone or why.

It isn't the first time it's happened and there is a regularity to it, so it's presumably something I'd set up previously, but every time it happens I end up scratching my head about what it could be.

Call your bank. They'll be able to tell you who's receiving the money. It could be something you set up and forgot about (or didn't realize you were agreeing to, because that's a thing that happens) but it could also be that someone got hold of your account number and your bank's routing number.

Call them today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Coolspaz posted:

New driving peeve:

when a ramp is closed on a highway.

If anyone knows the Oakville/Burlington area in Ontario Canada you know how annoying the Bronte creek is, and when the burloak ramp is closed going east bound it adds 20 min to my drive :(

edit: spelling

Driving in Southern Ontario appears to be one of the worst things on the planet.