Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

again, if people voted on that basis, we'd be living in a very different world

the suggestion isn't that single payer isn't a good idea, it's that it's not the best thing to centerpiece a campaign around, vs. poo poo like "here's how we're gonna put more money in your pocket" - which, for most people, single payer wouldn't, at least not in the short term.
If Single Payer lets me keep my care between jobs and if I'm jobless, and is cheap and affordable with more coverage, then it's a great thing to focus on the benefits on how it can enable worker freedom, reduce debt, increase wealth, and etc. all based on the cascading effects.

Now it'd be naive to think a politician would campaign on it and literally ignore everything else, especially with other good causes to support outside of healthcare.
But for healthcare focus Single Payer is a good standard, unless you have an even better solution that will never -ever- come to pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean I don't think there are any downsides to single payer, political or policy-wise, in 2017

but I still think there needs to be something more; like you can still be a shitlord neoliberal and be in favor of single payer: witness pre-Corbyn Labour or like French politics or some poo poo

you certainly cannot be a neoliberal and be in favor of singlepayer. neoliberal economics decries all government spending as waste.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

docbeard posted:

We probably do need a better way to convince the sort of mostly-healthy idiot who thinks they don't actually need health insurance at all right now that they would benefit from single-payer than gently caress YOU YOU SELFISH rear end in a top hat.

well that's easy we give everyone a lovely but treatable cancer and have them deal with the private insurance system for a year or so

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Condiv posted:

speaking as someone who had a nice little period of insurancelessness for 6 years, this is not true. even though i didn't get anything terrible during that time, if I had any kind of issue I just had to hope it wasn't something more severe cause i sure as gently caress couldn't afford to get it checked. i remember when i first learned i have winter eczema, a patch appeared on my arm and kept growing over weeks, and not knowing what it was i had no idea what to do. worse, it was turning yellow and gross looking., so i was freaked the hell out that I had some sort of skin fungus and that I was literally rotting away while living. my dad finally spotted me $100 so i could see a dermatologist and I learned I needed special lotions in winter to keep my skin healthy, but i was lucky that I had parents that could do that for me.

any young person without health insurance almost certainly goes through the same (unless they're the biggest idiot on earth) thanks to how insanely expensive treatment is without insurance.

Yeah, I went a few years in my late 20s mostly doing temp work and basically having no insurance, and I just kind of hoped I never got hurt or sick.

This one time, I got into an auto accident on the job (I wasn't driving so there was no way for them to decide it was my fault, and since it was during work hours, workers' comp covered everything, thank Christ) and the doctor who checked me out later was all I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DON'T HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE BEEN WITHOUT IT as if (and bear in mind this was in, like, 2006, so nothing even remotely like the ACA on the horizon) as if it were that simple for someone who was maybe working one week out of every four.

(In retrospect, I probably could have gotten some state assistance at the time. It was kind of a dark period of my life though and I wasn't really thinking in those terms.)

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Here's a good labor angle:

With affordable and non-employer locked health care you won't have to get a second job to feed your family and keep them alive, you can use that time to actually be alive with your family, and move to wherever without fear.

Don't got a family? If not then we don't make laws for vatbabies yet as they're not a viable demographic.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

you certainly cannot be a neoliberal and be in favor of singlepayer. neoliberal economics decries all government spending as waste.

I see the rehabilitation of Tony Blair is proceeding nicely

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I see the rehabilitation of Tony Blair is proceeding nicely

he's lying to improve his appeal in these times where neoliberalism is being equated with literally burning the poor for a quick buck. this should have been super obvious to you though since we're discussing a man who lied to his country so he could kill iraqis with his best pal gwb

quote:

Neoliberalism (neo-liberalism)[1] refers primarily to the 20th-century resurgence of 19th-century ideas associated with laissez-faire economic liberalism.[2]:7 These include extensive economic liberalization policies such as privatization, fiscal austerity, deregulation, free trade, and reductions in government spending in order to increase the role of the private sector in the economy and society.[10] These market-based ideas and the policies they inspired constitute a paradigm shift away from the post-war Keynesian consensus which lasted from 1945 to 1980.[11][12]

i know hillary fans like to pretend that neoliberal isn't an actual word with an actual definition, but singlepayer and neoliberals are fundamentally incompatible

Condiv has issued a correction as of 16:44 on Jun 24, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Condiv posted:

he's lying to improve his appeal in these times where neoliberalism is being equated with literally burning the poor for a quick buck. this should have been super obvious to you though since we're discussing a man who lied to his country so he could kill iraqis with his best pal gwb

i know hillary fans like to pretend that neoliberal isn't an actual word with an actual definition, but singlepayer and neoliberals are fundamentally incompatible

you're fundamentally saying that neoliberalism only exists in America, which we know is wrong

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I mean I don't think there are any downsides to single payer, political or policy-wise, in 2017

but I still think there needs to be something more; like you can still be a shitlord neoliberal and be in favor of single payer: witness pre-Corbyn Labour or like French politics or some poo poo

It's because in other countries the concept of not having government funded healthcare is really alien.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

etalian posted:

It's because in other countries the concept of not having government funded healthcare is really alien.
It's like the citizens of the country matter and not the businesses/market

:thunk:

gently caress up if true.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Condiv posted:

I think the larger point, that single-payer doesn't have to be a position held solely by "radical leftists" (however you want to define that) is a good one, though. It wouldn't be hard, for example, to come up with corporate-friendly arguments in favor of it, or even to pitch it as a means of reining in government spending (on the basis of improved efficiency over the patchwork mess of federal and state systems we've got right now).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
right, single payer adherents talk about how the tax increase on employers will be less than the premiums they're playing, right? all it requires is for capital-friendly politicians to throw insurers overboard in favor of the walmarts and whatnot, and that's not outside the realm of possibility

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
single payer would be a huge boon for business which would no longer have to worry about contracting to offer insurance to employees

might result in higher payroll tax tho

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

you're fundamentally saying that neoliberalism only exists in America, which we know is wrong

uhh no. how do you even think that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There's a lot of talk about single payer right now because the ACA is under attack and also because the Dems don't seem to want to do anything beyond just saving the ACA (which they might not even want to do), but if we're talking about having to advocate for issues that materially benefit people, the minimum wage is also a predominant issue on the Left.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
one thing we need to consider is that single payer won't solve racism

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ThndrShk2k posted:

But what if he's the underpaid servant to clean up the shitdeck?

labor aristocrat. guillotine

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Joementum posted:

will civil rights solve racism? --woke twitter hot take 2019

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the most hosed up thing about "singlepayer is for helping white people!!!" argument is the how many black people don't have adequate healthcare and don't have adequate insurance.

my ex-roomate was black, and he and I went seperate ways 8 or 9 years ago. 4 years ago, i heard from his girlfriend that he had died. he had had an asthma attack and he couldn't afford an emergency inhaler. back when he and i were living together, there used to be an otc inhaler you could get from walmart that he used. apparently they stopped selling that and he didn't really have any way to treat his asthma anymore. and one day he had a nasty attack and suffocated.

if we had singlepayer he'd still be alive. if we had sane drug pricing and otc laws, he'd still be alive. over here, i can buy an emergency inhaler, no prescription, for approximately $15. there's just no reason he had to die, and it's entirely the US' hosed up healthcare system to blame for his entirely avoidable death

Condiv has issued a correction as of 17:20 on Jun 24, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

what a blatantly dishonest response

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Will ending racism solve racism?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I don't want Trump's kids to get free healthcare.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Joementum posted:

Blackness is a pre-existing condition

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SKULL.GIF posted:

what a blatantly dishonest response

wj, one of the last few bastions of succ in the succ zone :patriot:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Joementum posted:

too bad, under single payer they'd still pay no taxes due to being technically homeless and jobless despite being the beneficiaries of millions of dollars of spending by the Eric and Donald Jr. Trump Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of the chromosomally-challenged children of terrible presidents

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Joementum posted:

We have to make sacrifices for progress

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Joementum posted:

given how much resistance to welfare programs is rooted in poor whites not liking it when the government spends money on people who don't look like them it's quite possible that solving racism would enable single payer

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
do you realize how many insurance company ceos would be out of a job if we nationalized the health insurance industry?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Fallen Hamprince posted:

given how much resistance to welfare programs is rooted in poor whites not liking it when the government spends money on people who don't look like them it's quite possible that solving racism would enable single payer

neoliberal policies sure have helped with the racism problem huh

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

that's why we spend money on everyone instead of means testing things to death

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

do you realize how many insurance company ceos would be out of a job if we nationalized the health insurance industry?

My step brother doesn't work for insurance anymore so I'm from Philly and I say kill em all

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Great news for the Tulsi fans

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/878379380757729280

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Condiv posted:

that's why we spend money on everyone instead of means testing things to death

they aren't mad that rich people aren't getting welfare too, they're mad that other poor people who "don't deserve it" are getting welfare

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

they aren't mad that rich people aren't getting welfare too, they're mad that other poor people who "don't deserve it" are getting welfare

that's republicans you're talking about. we're not trying to get their votes cause that's dumb

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Condiv posted:

that's republicans you're talking about. we're not trying to get their votes cause that's dumb
white rich votes are the only votes that matter, ending vote suppression by racial and economic means wont solve racism --woke twitter in 2019

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
joy doesn't seem to know that the emo girl is the hero of every one of these movies

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/878656292688199680

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

joy doesn't seem to know that the emo girl is the hero of every one of these movies

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/878656292688199680

I've seen mean girls, but I don't understand wtf this lady is even trying to say? Leftists are emos I guess? lol

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
the teachers are Russia and the evil vice principal is putin, that much is obvious

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Who is the lesbian gym teacher tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

fits my needs posted:

I've seen mean girls, but I don't understand wtf this lady is even trying to say? Leftists are emos I guess? lol

was gonna make a joke to the tune of, "well yeah leftists love black things" but nah not even :sigh:

• Locked thread