Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

All good things flow into the Citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

I like where they are going with this. Maybe it is time that CIG stops doing the bare minimum that they do (though not always on time) to comply with UK law on their filings. No other companies apart from all the other companies in the UK have this sort of transparency.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I guess the nature of this loan is going over their heads. Companies take out loans all the time. Have a product you think will be ROI of 10% but the interest is 5%? Win-win for both the company and the bank. Difference is most companies don't put their whole loving outfit on the line as collateral.

I would eventually like to see Uncle Derek start a Kickstarter to buy the assets for pennies on the dollar after it all collapses. That would be the ultimate outcome.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Bingo!

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
arriving late to the loan party but I have to say the reddit mental gymnastics do not disappoint

Colostomy Bag posted:

I guess the nature of this loan is going over their heads. Companies take out loans all the time. Have a product you think will be ROI of 10% but the interest is 5%? Win-win for both the company and the bank. Difference is most companies don't put their whole loving outfit on the line as collateral.

I would eventually like to see Uncle Derek start a Kickstarter to buy the assets for pennies on the dollar after it all collapses. That would be the ultimate outcome.

That speaks a lot toward the size of the loan they must have gotten. If I were getting a small $5,000 loan I might put my car up as collateral.

If I'm digging through my attic and putting my children's toys, my house, my car, my organs then you know I'm trying to get something substantially larger.

So CIG may have solved their money problems for awhile and actually make it through 2018.

Space Crabs fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 24, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I love these people who think crowdfunded projects should be completely free of any kind of responsibility to backers.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

There is something to this idea when you consider a single year. I think fundraising year to date is about $11m? And they probably expect to raise ~$36m each year. I think in the previous year the six month split was something like 12/24m in the two halves. The problem is when you consider multiple years. To get into a position where they would need a working capital loan. If you have revenue of $36m per year and you had reserves that are now depleted, you must be spending more than that.

If a loan was a genuinely good idea, why wait until "x" years in before getting the loan? How much backer money are they happy to spend on servicing the borrowing?

If you're scrambling for good news, it would be that this will prolong the eventual collapse somewhat. However, when the collapse comes it will be harder to dream about the community finishing the project with all the code and assets released into the wild, since it will all belong to the bank. There's also the hilarious possibility of a rogue indie developer buying the whole lot from Coutts for a fiver.

Yes, that's my analysis as well.

Also, I have a new article up now

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/878642386351665153

Excerpt:

quote:

I don’t care how they spin this, or what backers choose to believe, this is a very – very – bad and eye opening event that just happened. If the largest studio associated with this project now has two loans – secured against all its worldwide assets – and tied to the parent holding company (hence the two charges), it stands to reason that the US parent company 1) can’t secure additional investors, which is always preferable to taking out secured loans 2) is probably either saddled with a pre-existing debt load, or it can’t get a loan – or it would have taken out the loan, then continued to fund the studios as it has been doing (as per the UK financials).

It also means that with a $152 million liability (to backers) for products they have yet to deliver, whatever this loan is, couldn’t be any substantial amount or it won’t have been taken through a subsidiary company that has no tangible assets (other than hardware, furniture etc) or income (it is funded by the US parent – as a separate studio).

So, a crowd-funded project that needed $5 million, six years later has now burned through $152 million (assuming the funding chart is accurate), investor money, and has bank loans. And there are now two. Which means that this second loan wasn’t big enough to pay off the first loan. Which invariably means that they need both loans. And they can’t take out any more loans because the second loan has now tied up ALL the company assets as security.

They have failed to ship ANY project, even after raising ALL this money. And there is NOTHING that currently shows that they can do it even if they raised another $150 million.

The fact that they are taking out secured loans, means that backer funding is insufficient to continue operations. So that means they now rely on that same backer funding to not only fund operations, but to also pay these debts. So how are they going to do that in the long term, now that they are saddled with debt, for a project that was said to be fully funded.

So instead of being accountable to a publisher, or to backers who funded them, they are now accountable to investors and bankers. And these banks now own ALL of the CIG/RSI assets, of which the Star Citizen IP is the primary and most valuable.

They’re screwed. It really is that simple.

If responsible backers and investors don’t start screaming (they will need attorneys for this) at CIG and holding them to the ToS wihch promised the release of financials, then they only have themselves to blame for the end result.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 24, 2017

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
"This is why things need to be done behind closed doors, and less about open development!!!!! People will see them for who they are, giant retarded manbabies!!!!!!" They screamed in unison in the internet hugbox reddit, as the reality of this game failing finally starts to sink in.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

shrach posted:

So it seems they ran out of money. But there is a good news. CIG uk has taken out a (presumably) big old loan, which you can take a look at on their filing. They have split the terms with F42 so you can read it in their filing too. The collateral for the loan? Everything. All game rights, recordings they've made including music, future tax credits, any insurance policies they've taken out. Any agreements they've made with anyone else (sponsors, membership fees). It's section 4 / 5.

It doesn't list the amount of the loan but I would assume with that security it is a substantial one.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/filing-history
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08703814/filing-history

Hmmmmm. Derek, can you make a blog post breaking this down?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ford did this just before the Great Recession and it was a heavily remarked upon piece of news because mortgaging the company was, and is, a gutsy move that requires either a strong long-term plan requiring lots of capital investment, or is an act of desperation in trying to feed a furnace and the only thing left are the floorboards and planking upon which it sits. Figure out which scenario fits CIG, a company with no product on the market and none for the foreseeable future, versus Ford, an old-line manufacturing giant whose struggles are already well known but was matched by the fact they had real assets producing real products that people still buy in large quantities.

Loans to businesses are unremarkable. Most businesses above a certain size issues commercial paper to smooth over their income, or have corporate bonds to finance bigger projects. Loans to companies whereby the creditor essentially owns the loving company if things go south is almost unheard of except in extraordinary cases where the company is distressed or the creditors were converted to an equity stakeholder almost against their will.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm excited for the latest news about star citizens bank loan

And anyone who thinks crobberts stands to lose anything if the loan defaults is retarded

He will sell off all the furniture , hardware, employees benefits packages , all you can eat sundae bar long before he will risk his personal wealth

Can't wait till they announce the cig IPO. Valuation of ... *sound of change wallet jingling* errr uhh ummm 50 cents

Also calling it now , half the features of 3.0 are now part of a module which is totally disconnected from the main game world. A separate set of code, because it's the only way they get it to run

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MinorInconvenience posted:

quote:

big nipples big life posted:
To bank with Coutts you must have at least £1,000,000 in tangible assets and in any event they are selective about their clientele; which implies CIG is doing well.

It is a good sign. They wont get a loan if they were in bad shape.

This actually raises an interesting point. Coutts & Co isn't really a bank to business, but a bank to high net worth individuals. How much you wanna bet Croberts' personal assets are also on the line...?

They are getting over $20m a year from the parent company, while spending $3m per month. So of course they would have $1m in cash assets each month. It's not rocket science.

Also, there are no personal guarantors on this loan, or it would be in the charge filing, as per UK requirements. So the whole thing is tied to ALL the company assets. All of it.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i guess you can put a price on ten thousand hours of lovely motion capture footage of people mopping floors and eating lunch

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6j77lq/300_and_global_progress_watch_update_20170623/djcdirr/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The shame was palpable.

Hey dumbshit, get a refund and you can laugh like the rest of us when you explain where the game is.

If the game is great, good, buy in for $60.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

I'm not sure if this blog was a mistake. You were already getting the blame and vitriol but they were readily admitting that they couldn't archive you because they couldn't find where you had said anything about it yet. Although I guess we will now find out just how good this is for Star Citizen from the top minds when they archive what this really means for Star Citizen... in relation to your genitals.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

What bank wouldn't want to own the 6 year old company that sells the ability to donate to Chris Roberts, famously reliable game developer.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Wow, it really has been six months since the last patch. I'm happy though, because any delays mean we're getting a better patch in the end

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Space Crabs posted:

i guess you can put a price on ten thousand hours of lovely motion capture footage of people mopping floors and eating lunch

I can't wait for it to come out that the massive loan was for like 3 million and a packet of crackers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

beautiful fatman posted:

I can't wait for it to come out that the massive loan was for like 3 million and a packet of crackers.

Way to overvalue what they have.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Well chris said the more money he gets the faster he will deliver content, so with this loan the content will come even thicker and even faster than ever before!!!!!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizen, proudly sponsored by Wonga.com

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wow, it really has been six months since the last patch. I'm happy though, because any delays mean we're getting a better patch in the end

No one really knows as no one plays the drat thing. drat thing could be up to 7.2 by now for all we know.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen, proudly sponsored by Wonga.com

How's your skull?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol reddit hid the post

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
I can't seem to find the thread on r/starcitizen anymore, it seems to have vanished? I had to use my history to find the page, that's normal I'm sure?

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
This should fund SQ42 all the way to chapter 7.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Star Citizen: The Shame Was Palpable

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

shrach posted:

I can't seem to find the thread on r/starcitizen anymore, it seems to have vanished? I had to use my history to find the page, that's normal I'm sure?

Please don't doxx the financial situation of the company I gave $15,000. It ruins the immersion.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

How's your skull?

Still intact, I signed some consent forms last week and have an appointment this coming week, so a chunk of my cranium may well come out before 3.0

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

shrach posted:

It's normal in the sense that it's normal for the Star Citizen sub reddit to poo poo its collective pants and hide threads

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Star Citizen: The Shame Was Palpable
Parpable.

drat...

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Just as an FYI: before granting a loan, banks will look at the company's assets, net income, company structure, accountant reports, etc. and then usually offer (or refuse) a loan with strings attached, the number of strings depending on the financial shape of the business.

Foundry 42 went to Coutts with their finances and came back with a floating charge, a fixed charge (on all assets), and a negative pledge. Evidently, their finances did not impress.

[edit] that title is perfect :discourse:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

Does anyone else think this is just a short-term loan to get them through to the release of "3.0"? They probably figure to repay it with huge whale revenues from Gamescom, Citcon, and the anniversary and holiday sales.

It would be great to know more about amount and repayment terms indeed. Either way the part where a 150 million funded company needs any kind of loan, including working capital coverage, is hilarious.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

normal

Virtual Captain posted:

Evocati PTU: 7/6/2017
:grin:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Coutts & Co is a local bank for me. Maybe I'll see legendary game maker Christopher Roberts coming and going while he begs for more time on his loan repayments.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

I'm not sure if this blog was a mistake. You were already getting the blame and vitriol but they were readily admitting that they couldn't archive you because they couldn't find where you had said anything about it yet. Although I guess we will now find out just how good this is for Star Citizen from the top minds when they archive what this really means for Star Citizen... in relation to your genitals.

:grin:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

shrach posted:

There's a good hypothetical question in here somewhere. While both of these scenarios are undoubtedly good for Star Citizen, which is better?

1. They've run out of money and just need a small sized loan to bridge a short-term funding gap.
2. They've run out of money and have successfully secured a large loan that ensures the company has enough funding to cover the shortfall for a few more years.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Latin Pheonix posted:

Just as an FYI: before granting a loan, banks will look at the company's assets, net income, company structure, accountant reports, etc. and then usually offer (or refuse) a loan with strings attached, the number of strings depending on the financial shape of the business.

Foundry 42 went to Coutts with their finances and came back with a floating charge, a fixed charge (on all assets), and a negative pledge. Evidently, their finances did not impress.

[edit] that title is perfect :discourse:

Right. But try explaining that to Shitizens and see how they respond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

they just took out a substantial loan so it's going to be awhile
thank you once again for confirming that I don't have any inside information, CIG because obviously everyone knew about this and I'm wrong

when amazon takes over I'm sure it'll be a shock and no one had any idea