Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Chev posted:

You won't get a new AITD anytime soon because about one year ago Atari/Infogrames was found guilty of copyright fraud, having stolen all rights to AITD (and the associated toolchain) from its actual creator, Frédéric Raynal, back when they published it. As a result they owe him 25 years of royalties on everything AITD-related (plus possibly a share of the money from the shadow deal they apparently had with Capcom in exchange for not suing them for Resident Evil, though that bit hasn't quite been cleared up yet) and likely can't do anything AITD-related without Raynal.

Wait, what? I hadn't heard about that, do you have an article? Why does Atari suck so much.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Speaking about Alone in the Dark, are there any good LPs of the original games? I only ever got to play the first one way back when and I never heard of the sequels until way later. It'd be fun to relive that original game and see the rest.

The ones I watched long ago these ones:
Alone in the Dark by Malorie
Alone in the Dark 2 by Malorie
Alone in the Dark 3 by Nidoking

The paywall went up when I was halfway through AitD3 so I had to get an account to keep following it. I guess that means I'm basically one of those Danganronpa people.

2 is way more action than horror. 3 brings back a lot of horror but is still more actiony than the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

catlord posted:

Wait, what? I hadn't heard about that, do you have an article? Why does Atari suck so much.
Here's the french press release: http://www.afjv.com/news/6747_f-raynal-fait-reconnaitre-ses-droits-sur-alone-in-the-dark.htm
You probably hadn't heard of it because, as gaming news not related to a new game, probably no english site found it worth translating.

The anecdote was actually well known in the french videogame world (press, players and devs alike): Infogrames had demoted Raynal in the credits (from creator to mere collaborator) and then used the credits to argue his work on the game wasn't significant (when he really had created the whole engine and concept in his spare time) and so he had no claim on the game. Raynal had then left to work on LBA. Everyone but Infogrames acknowledged Raynal was AITD's creator, but it's not until 2005 that he decided to sue them and without a 2009 jurisprudence that recognized games as more than just programs he may very well have lost.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Chev posted:

Here's the french press release: http://www.afjv.com/news/6747_f-raynal-fait-reconnaitre-ses-droits-sur-alone-in-the-dark.htm
You probably hadn't heard of it because, as gaming news not related to a new game, probably no english site found it worth translating.

Huh, interesting. I don't know a lick of French, but thanks for the article and the further information. Weird, you'd think one of the horror gaming news sites would have picked up on it.

Seriously though, why is Atari so awful.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

My only references for AitD and Ecstatica is Retsupurae riffing on them. I agree the latter game is totally underrated for the sheer amount of weirdness with the game over states and the design in general.

I was totally ignorant of Raynal being screwed over by Atari, thanks for sharing the article and explaining the context. It's frustrating that English-language sites aren't picking up on this because to me awarding Raynal is HUGE in terms of creative rights of devs. You'd THINK more of the overall industry would take notice....or is it less the issue of an "old game" (that was still notable and influential on the genre) and more because the dev isn't considered notable?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

All four Alone in the Dark games are $5 on Steam right now if anyone's interested.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I found AitD tough to play at the time, I can't imagine how poorly they've aged.

Also there's five of them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Five? Was there another reboot or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_in_the_Dark%3A_The_New_Nightmare?wprov=sfla1

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Ecstatica is so underrated. It was probably the first game I played which had gore and full frontal nudity in it, and back in the day it really felt like something new and different. The character animations were very impressive, and still hold up pretty well imo.

Despite being very short, it was great how many times it managed to surprise me with crazy new scenes, many of them starting with the hero getting jumped and viciously beaten unconscious. That werewolf was such an rear end in a top hat. :(

Too bad it isn't on GOG for some reason. I'd love to get my hands on a version with the voice acting intact.

Edit:

Holy poo poo, I never knew there is a Windows version too. :aaa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGRd6wWUzBc

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 22, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I remember that, apparently there was another AitD game that was co-op and tanked two years ago?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Illumination is the absolutely dreadful game that probably only exists to maintain claim on the license in the same way the last Fantastic Four movie did.

I think Nocturne is worth a look as an Alone in the Dark clone. It came out as 3D technology was rapidly progressing so they put a ton of resources into lighting and cloth movement.

There's a weird action horror I'm trying to remember. It's third person action, kind of like Bloodrayne, but you're a half-demon guy filming a game show while taking out monsters. There's a sort of picture-in-picture of the host commenting on your monster slaying like the SMASH TV host.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Aww I'm so disappointed. They aren't using the original va's from Re2 for the remake. Allyson Court is Clair drat it

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/you-wont-hear-the-original-voice-actors-for-claire-redfield-or-leon-kennedy-in-the-resident-evil-2-remake

They wanted to go with non union actors it seems.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

al-azad posted:

There's a weird action horror I'm trying to remember. It's third person action, kind of like Bloodrayne, but you're a half-demon guy filming a game show while taking out monsters. There's a sort of picture-in-picture of the host commenting on your monster slaying like the SMASH TV host.

I believe that would be The Devil Within. I remember you could shoot your camera man and I think the host was supposed to be Jack the Ripper, possibly literally? It was weird you turned into a girl demon iirc.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

s.i.r.e. posted:

All four Alone in the Dark games are $5 on Steam right now if anyone's interested.
Probably a word of warning but Alone in the Dark '08 for the PC is a buggy mess where the game runs in a really bad resolution or crashes when you attempt to change video settings and Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare is keyboard only and also runs poorly. And I don't know if either of them ever got fan mod support to fix those issues.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

al-azad posted:

Illumination is the absolutely dreadful game that probably only exists to maintain claim on the license in the same way the last Fantastic Four movie did.

I think Nocturne is worth a look as an Alone in the Dark clone. It came out as 3D technology was rapidly progressing so they put a ton of resources into lighting and cloth movement.

I really don't think Illumination is that bad, especially now that it's gotten a patch (which, to be fair, added a bunch of things that should have been in from the start). Really its biggest problem is that what it wants to do is done much better elsewhere, but I haven't found it incredibly buggy, or the controls sloppy, which is more than I can say for AitD'08. It's no Haunted House: Cryptic Graves, that's for sure.

So, six AitD games, not counting Jack in the Dark.

On the other hand, Nocturne is fantastic. Its got a few jumping puzzles which are annoying because of the fixed camera angles, but other than that it's a great take on the AitD/RE style game. I need to finish it up, I've transferred it over to my new computer but I haven't seen if it actually works yet. Shame about Terminal Reality, I would love to have seen a second one (that's not Bloodrayne).

Edit: vv That is true, I completely blanked on them for a moment. I have them but I haven't played them yet.

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 22, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

They made a second one of sorts that was a tie in to Blair Witch, at least?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

They made a second one of sorts that was a tie in to Blair Witch, at least?

The first one, given all relativity re: the time it came out etc is pretty fun. It's a better game than a movie tie in had any right to be. It also hints in the "real witch" that D.A. Sterns books at the time hinted at/blatantly stated, depending on the book.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

The first one, given all relativity re: the time it came out etc is pretty fun. It's a better game than a movie tie in had any right to be. It also hints in the "real witch" that D.A. Sterns books at the time hinted at/blatantly stated, depending on the book.

Was the other game in the series, Nocturne any good? The wiki summary makes it sound like it could be.

Also Blair Witch and Bloodrayne share a universe apparently.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

al-azad posted:

I would argue that Alan Wake was the proper execution, or at least a good base for it. The original design documents for it make it out to be almost an adventure game with combat segments.

No way. I really liked Alan Wake, but you couldn't smash a chair and improvise a torch from it. I won't rest until I'm stabbing ghoulies with systems-driven improvised weapons :colbert:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Len posted:

Was the other game in the series, Nocturne any good? The wiki summary makes it sound like it could be.

Also Blair Witch and Bloodrayne share a universe apparently.

Nocturne is quite good. Can be a bit of a pain to get working on modern systems though.

The castle and artifact from chapter 1 of Nocturne is the same as the castle and artifact from part 3 of Bloodrayne and the daemites from Bloodrayne first showed up in Blair Witch.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

My only references for AitD and Ecstatica is Retsupurae riffing on them. I agree the latter game is totally underrated for the sheer amount of weirdness with the game over states and the design in general.

I was totally ignorant of Raynal being screwed over by Atari, thanks for sharing the article and explaining the context. It's frustrating that English-language sites aren't picking up on this because to me awarding Raynal is HUGE in terms of creative rights of devs. You'd THINK more of the overall industry would take notice....or is it less the issue of an "old game" (that was still notable and influential on the genre) and more because the dev isn't considered notable?

Same I also played a bit of AitD 2008 and let me tell you: I have no idea why people were so shocked and angered that 2008 was a clunky game with weird tedious combat and no relation to the Lovecraft mythos whatsoever, because 2 and 3 were also that and also trying waaaaaay less hard than 2008 was.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I remember AitD A New Nightmare being creepy as gently caress.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Seems like all these videos are gone.

Actually it seems like the AiTD3 vids are gone too since they're also hosted on Viddler, I guess the site removed all their videos or something. There's Veoh links for 3 but the site looks sketch so I'll pass. Guess I'm lookin' on YouTube.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

s.i.r.e. posted:

Seems like all these videos are gone.

Actually it seems like the AiTD3 vids are gone too since they're also hosted on Viddler, I guess the site removed all their videos or something. There's Veoh links for 3 but the site looks sketch so I'll pass. Guess I'm lookin' on YouTube.

if you check near the top of the page, below the title stuff, you'll see another red bar that says something along the lines of 'this playthrough was hosted on the internet archive' and you can click on that to reach alternate videos that were uploaded on archive.org

a good thing to keep in mind with some of the older lps on the lparchive since a couple video players have come and gone since its existed

for instance, here's a link to the first aitd lp: https://archive.org/details/LP_Alone_in_the_Dark

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh nice, thanks. I guess when Viddler went down Malorie the LPs onto YouTube because I found them pretty quickly when I searched for a AiTD2 LP.

Also, this game is ridiculous in it's opening segments and it kinda sucks. How anyone thought giving the series an action-bent would be a good idea is out of their minds.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

s.i.r.e. posted:

How anyone thought giving the series an action-bent would be a good idea is out of their minds.
It's been a long time since I could say this, but I think we can all blame Uwe Boll for this.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Was a bit surprised to see Remothered come up in a HarshlyCritical video since I thought it was shut down from a cease and desist order, but it looks like it's coming along nicely and the closed beta footage looks pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCzSRpJ2dU4 (especially if you compare it to the trainwreck that was Nightcry)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

discworld is all I read posted:

Was a bit surprised to see Remothered come up in a HarshlyCritical video since I thought it was shut down from a cease and desist order, but it looks like it's coming along nicely and the closed beta footage looks pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCzSRpJ2dU4 (especially if you compare it to the trainwreck that was Nightcry)

Yo this is totally my poo poo, I can't wait.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
new scizzorman has a sweet rear end

al-azad
May 28, 2009

That's... Laura. Did Kenji Eno rise from the grave?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Uh that's Clarice Starling. They didn't even try to be subtle about it, they just straight up modeled Jodie Foster.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm probably going to be playing Silent Hill 3 for the first time this weekend, anything I need to know to not get a horrid ending or ruin my playthrough?

Origami Dali posted:

Uh that's Clarice Starling. They didn't even try to be subtle about it, they just straight up modeled Jodie Foster.

Okay, I'm fine with saying Laura from D2 is a copy of Jodie Foster. Her hair even parts in the right place.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

al-azad posted:

I'm probably going to be playing Silent Hill 3 for the first time this weekend, anything I need to know to not get a horrid ending or ruin my playthrough?
I'd say the first thing to keep in mind is that they gutted the number of endings compared to SH 2. There's pretty much a good ending, a bad ending, and a UFO ending; I'm wanting to say that there's like one thing that changes whether you get the good or bad ending and it doesn't make sense initially, but it's been a while since I played it last. Game play wise I don't think there's much to worry about; combat and items and all that jazz is pretty much like SH 2. I'd highly recommend avoiding two enemies in the game cause they are a bitch and a half and can be easily avoided; the first is a flying enemy and the second is a spastic, crawling enemy....you'll know'em when you see them and just avoid them like the plague.

Origami Dali posted:

Even the voice actress they got has a nice deep voice and it works so well. And it's good to see, like Clock Tower did with Jennifer Connelly, they went with a somewhat recognizable horror actress as the character inspiration for the game.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

al-azad posted:

Pretty certain that you're locked into the "good" ending on your first playthrough anyway.

Otherwise the type of ending depends on the usual stats in Silent Hill games, so killing large numbers of enemies/not healing normally set you towards the worst ending. Also a particular event will put a lot of points one way or another so for the best result don't say anything.

I don't think you can screw up your playthrough really, the game is quite generous with ammunition.

I'd highly recommend avoiding two enemies in the game cause they are a bitch and a half and can be easily avoided; the first is a flying enemy and the second is a spastic, crawling enemy....you'll know'em when you see them and just avoid them like the plague.

Seconding this, they have pretty obvious noises too. You will learn to hate those noises.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, I'm 99% certain you can only get the good ending in Silent Hill 3 in your first playthrough; the bad ending and the joke UFO ending are only available on subsequent playthroughs. It isn't like Silent Hill 2 where the ending you get on your first playthrough is kind of vague and while there are factors which contribute to an ending, nothing will make it 100% certain.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'd highly recommend avoiding two enemies in the game cause they are a bitch and a half and can be easily avoided; the first is a flying enemy and the second is a spastic, crawling enemy....you'll know'em when you see them and just avoid them like the plague.

I actually kill all the crawling guys just cause they're so goddamn obnoxious to try and run around. Also, the Closers (the enemies with punching bags for arms) need to be mentioned cause they're borderline immortal and hit like freight trains.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Getting the UFO ending on your first play through of Homecoming was the best part about it.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
Especially because you get it by killing two of the least likable characters in the series and saving your best-character-in-the-game black cop sidekick.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Any good horror games on sale now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Chas McGill posted:

Any good horror games on sale now?

Resident Evil 7 is 40% off.