Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Season 3 averaged 1.64 mil viewers per ep

Season 2 averaged 2.15 per ep

For contrast, The Americans has been declining every season, to a low of 800k per ep season 5.

Fargo season 2 averaged only 1.3 million.

So it seems like a pretty sane bet that BCS will get another season, the only thing people are worried about is that AMC are insane/stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Spellman posted:

Did a clickbait article roll out saying that BCS is tanking, I don't know where people are getting this

Every episode of this season had lower ratings than the worst episode from last year, and all but one episode from season 2 had worse ratings than the worst episode from the first season. Losing over a million viewers between your first and second seasons and losing half a million between the second and third isn't the trajectory they could have been hoping for, especially since Breaking Bad massively gained viewers over time (and they explicitly tried to lure them back with the marketing around the return of Gus). I don't think the show will be canceled, but I don't think anyone at AMC is going to be begging them to do six or seven seasons either.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Better Call Saul is going light speed compared to Walking Dead which has been getting hilariously lovely

Slow burns won't kill this show, only the stupid rear end leadership at AMC will

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I don't think the show will be canceled, but I don't think anyone at AMC is going to be begging them to do six or seven seasons either.

I don't think Vince and Peter would beg for this either

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Spellman posted:

I don't think Vince and Peter would beg for this either

If lovely ratings help everyone do the right thing, I'm glad.

Back to the show itself, I wonder if/when Jimmy's going to realize it wasn't what he did in court out of desperation that sent Chuck over the edge, but his spiteful behavior with the insurance company that wasn't necessary in any way. If he hadn't done that, Chuck's recovery would have likely continued.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 24, 2017

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cojawfee posted:

I'll keep watching no matter what, because I love this show. I'm just worried that they will keep telling a slow story until AMC says "that's it, you're done," and we don't get a conclusion.

Netflix would take it in a heartbeat.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

RJWaters2 posted:

That's because Jimmy has been Saul since his teens, just without the suits and strip mall. Walter had much further to travel between Mr. C.H.i.P.s and Scarface.

Bob Odenkirk says that what makes Saul is the selfishness and lack of care about others. A few episodes ago he was on the podcast and he disagreed with Kelley Dixon's opinion that making a deal with the drug dealer to get $700 for performing a service was Saul. Bob said talking people into giving him money was what Jimmy was doing as a teenager. That means we still haven't seen Saul. We thought we saw Saul in episode 9 this year but the show took it back. He's still caring in the final episode. He's not too different in the final episode than he was in Season 1 Episode 1.

I hope Chuck dying will be a push in that direction but this is third time I watched a season finale and thought that.

His actions in the final episode even go against how the Season 1 finale ended. About how he'll never let doing the right thing get in his way again.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 24, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BiggerBoat posted:

Netflix would take it in a heartbeat.

People say this, but would they? Netflix isn't a magical show savior. They are only going to pick up a show if it is worth it. They picked up Arrested Development, released one season four years ago, and all we have now is rumors of another season. If no one is watching Better Call Saul, Netflix isn't going to give it more seasons just to be nice.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

some guy on the bus posted:

His actions in the final episode even go against how the Season 1 finale ended. About how he'll never let doing the right thing get in his way again.

That season finale was part of a very different show from the one we ended up getting. It was going to be about Saul Goodman instead of spending years answering the question nobody demanded the answer to about how Jimmy became Saul. I'm being unkind, and honestly the courtroom showdown between Jimmy and Chuck was by far the best episode of the series for me, so I'm not saying there wasn't any value in doing it this way. It's just obviously very different from the original concept the creators had, and the one many fans were hoping to actually see, which might have had Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks actually interacting on the same show instead of having an occasional guest spot on each other's shows.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Are standard viewing figures that accurate of a meter here? The show's going out internationally in many places on the same day as the domestic market. I'm assuming AMC get their fair share from Netflix or whoever handles places outside of the UK.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Actually the show is doing exactly what it set out to do. Show a man, a full man, a beefy man, and all of his foibles.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Actually the show is doing exactly what it set out to do. Show a man, a full man, a beefy man, and all of his foibles.

He's a solid character. A thick character. With girthy development.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Huell was only in one episode though.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Can anyone defend what they did with Mike this year? I thought the storyline about how he got to work with Gus was going to be more dramatic than that. The show just basically said "It happened, yawn."

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Can anyone defend what they did with Mike this year? I thought the storyline about how he got to work with Gus was going to be more dramatic than that. The show just basically said "It happened, yawn."

Uh maybe you missed the part where GUS FRING showed up, or freaking LYDIA. Plus Mike flirted with a widow for half a second or something!
What more could someone want?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Best fans in the world.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That wasn't really what that was about. "Why didn't we [keep the money]? What stopped us?" "I remember you saying something about doing the right thing." "I don't even know what that means." "You wanna know why I didn't take that money? I was hired to do a job, I did it, that's as far as it goes." "Yeah, well, I know what stopped me. And you know what? It's never stopping me again."

It wasn't doing the right thing that stopped him from taking the money, it was desire to impress Chuck, and that's what he vowed never to get in his way again.

We thought we saw Saul in episode 9 this year but the show took it back. He's still caring in the final episode.

I still argue that his actions in s3e10 are the most Saul-like he's been. Imagine you only saw that conversation he 'accidentally' broadcast. It's the very first time he's leaning into the sleaziness, letting himself look bad to people, because he's finally realized that he can accomplish more with a bad reputation than he could with a good one. It's that lovely public image we saw of Saul during all of Breaking Bad.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 24, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

So far all Mike has done with Gus is knock over a truck he would have done anyway, and get some money laundered.

He loving hated Lidya by the time of Breaking Bad and was Gus's clear #2.

So I'd call this season well done setup.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ditocoaf posted:

That wasn't really what that was about. "Why didn't we [keep the money]? What stopped us?" "I remember you saying something about doing the right thing." "I don't even know what that means." "You wanna know why I didn't take that money? I was hired to do a job, I did it, that's as far as it goes." "Yeah, well, I know what stopped me. And you know what? It's never stopping me again."

It wasn't doing the right thing that stopped him from taking the money, it was desire to impress Chuck, and that's what he vowed never to get in his way again.

I still argue that his actions in s3e10 are the most saul-like he's been. It's the very first time he's leaning into the sleaziness, letting himself look bad to people, because he's finally realized that he can accomplish more with a bad reputation than he could with a good one. It's that lovely public image we saw of Saul during all of Breaking Bad.

Also Saul has never been a monster. There's a difference between screwing over some people, and screwing over others. I can even picture Breaking Bad Saul feeling bad for utterly wrecking the life of a sweet old lady and her two cats.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also Saul has never been a monster. There's a difference between screwing over some people, and screwing over others. I can even picture Breaking Bad Saul feeling bad for utterly wrecking the life of a sweet old lady and her two cats.

I don't think anyone's under the impression he had the part of his brain that's capable of empathy surgically removed when he becomes Saul, but the character we know from Breaking Bad certainly wouldn't risk his livelihood or throw away a million dollars he could use right now because he felt bad about hurting someone. He wasn't just an accessory to many of the crimes in the show, he also openly suggested killing Hank to try to save his own skin.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cojawfee posted:

People say this, but would they? Netflix isn't a magical show savior. They are only going to pick up a show if it is worth it. They picked up Arrested Development, released one season four years ago, and all we have now is rumors of another season. If no one is watching Better Call Saul, Netflix isn't going to give it more seasons just to be nice.

Sony co-owns the show, so there's that.

I think AMC might give it some breathing room because Breaking Bad only surged in the ratings in it's last couple seasons when people binged the whole thing. It was pretty low key until like, the middle of it's 4th season.

It's also a some prestige television that AMC desperately needs right now and the best performing show they have if you don't count the Walking Dead.

Which is sad because Walking Dead has gotten really, really, REALLY loving bad. If Mike's plot was "I have to kill Hector," and every episode was debating if he could kill Hector for 30 mintues and every other episode was him having Hector in his sights then just not firing for no reason whatsoever then going back to talk about "I have to kill Hector" for two more episodes, you'd have a Walking Dead experience.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 24, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Sony co-owns the show, so there's that.

I think AMC might give it some breathing room because Breaking Bad only surged in the ratings in it's last couple seasons when people binged the whole thing. It was pretty low key until like, the middle of it's 4th season.

Better Call Saul is already available on Netflix though, and all evidence suggests that anyone who's bingeing it there isn't joining on as it airs live now. Breaking Bad and Mad Men had the fortune of good timing and of being better shows.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Better Call Saul is already available on Netflix though, and all evidence suggests that anyone who's bingeing it there isn't joining on as it airs live now. Breaking Bad and Mad Men had the fortune of good timing and of being better shows.

That said Saul's quirky lower-key nature than Breaking Bad doesn't make it drastically worse, just a different flavor. One I'm OK with. But the whole point of it being on Netflix (as is any show) is for people to stumble onto it, binge it, then go 'Oh I have to watch the next season live!" It works very well and that's why most places allow Netflix to air their stuff more than direct profits. It's changed the whole "Oh the show is too far in and I can't spend $60 on DVDs for a show I don't know if I like, so I'll watch it when it's done" mindset.

Well unless you're HBO who has their own successful streaming service now, I can see why they keep their stuff in house.

Personally I think this is the best season the show has done and it's firing on all cylinders so I was surprised by the audience drop. Only the season opener I thought was too slow, though it works much better in hindsight.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Blazing Ownager posted:

Which is sad because Walking Dead has gotten really, really, REALLY loving bad. If Mike's plot was "I have to kill Hector," and every episode was debating if he could kill Hector for 30 mintues and every other episode was him having Hector in his sights then just not firing for no reason whatsoever then going back to talk about "I have to kill Hector" for two more episodes, you'd have a Walking Dead experience.

Do they still just find a location somewhere and sit there doing nothing for an entire season? Then SHOCK as a main character dies for some reason.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cojawfee posted:

Do they still just find a location somewhere and sit there doing nothing for an entire season? Then SHOCK as a main character dies for some reason.

I think that's what happens, yeah. After missing almost all of season 3, I tried again, but I checked out when they got kidnapped at that Terminus place, and the bad guys had them lined up to get knocked out and have their throats slit. I just sat there thinking "why the gently caress do I want to watch this poo poo?" It's like it goes between morbid and stupid. No thanks.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I wonder what Jimmy's going to do for money 'til he gets his law license back. Part-time job at Cinnabon?

Edit: moved my opinion on TWD to its thread

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 24, 2017

Spellman
May 31, 2011

TWD is a pretty good thriller/drama, but it's got some villainitus in that a bad guy has to take the spot of the previous bad guy

But other than that shlocky concept, they do some interesting poo poo with the show. It's a show where characters are trying to hang on to their humanity, despite the fact that the 'good' people are always the most vulnerable to dying in the post outbreak world

Some episodes are bad, but it's decent overall. It kind of feels like Lost with all the different characters and eventually communities

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Fear the Walking Dead is stupid as well but it's really entertaining watching them wreck settlements where the sole survivor of said settlement curses the group and says it's all their fault while the group sails away to gently caress up another place

Also the last episode of Fear was the best walking dead episode for either show in a long, long time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ditocoaf posted:

I still argue that his actions in s3e10 are the most Saul-like he's been. Imagine you only saw that conversation he 'accidentally' broadcast. It's the very first time he's leaning into the sleaziness, letting himself look bad to people, because he's finally realized that he can accomplish more with a bad reputation than he could with a good one. It's that lovely public image we saw of Saul during all of Breaking Bad.

Yeah a lot of people are missing this it seems. It's definitely intentional. He's realized that he can do good, but he fails miserably when he does good "the right way". He has a pathological need to bend the rules just to see if he can.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Spellman posted:

It's a show where characters are trying to hang on to their humanity, despite the fact that the 'good' people are always the most vulnerable to dying in the post outbreak world

This is all zombie media and TWD is actively bad at it. The show, at least

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

precision posted:

Yeah a lot of people are missing this it seems. It's definitely intentional. He's realized that he can do good, but he fails miserably when he does good "the right way". He has a pathological need to bend the rules just to see if he can.

He realized that at the end of S1, as he's driving away humming "Smoke on the Water", having vowed to never again do the right thing and get screwed over because of it.

Then they walked that waaaaaaaay back until now.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It looked like they re-aired the last scene of S1 at the beginning of S2 with part of it deleted as part of walking it back after they found out they were getting more seasons

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

He realized that at the end of S1, as he's driving away humming "Smoke on the Water", having vowed to never again do the right thing and get screwed over because of it.

Then they walked that waaaaaaaay back until now.
People misremember that conversation, he deliberately wasn't saying that:

Ditocoaf posted:

"Why didn't we [keep the money]? What stopped us?" "I remember you saying something about doing the right thing." "I don't even know what that means." "You wanna know why I didn't take that money? I was hired to do a job, I did it, that's as far as it goes." "Yeah, well, I know what stopped me. And you know what? It's never stopping me again."
What stopped him from taking the money wasn't 'doing the right thing', that was just his rationalization at the time. (He realizes at that point that he was actually trying too hard to impress Chuck, and he's resolving to ditch that motivation.)

galenanorth posted:

It looked like they re-aired the last scene of S1 at the beginning of S2 with part of it deleted as part of walking it back after they found out they were getting more seasons
They re-aired it in S2 just to insert a scene of him going into the courthouse and briefly meeting the other law firm. They didn't significantly change the conversation with Mike, people just misremember it.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 24, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Frankly I miss stuff like the Kettlemans. That plot line was the most fun that the show's ever been. I'm getting kind of tired of the film students, and the Chuck/Jimmy family drama is dramatic, but exhausting. Give me more of Jimmy's insane weirdo criminal defense work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sagebrush posted:

Give me more of Jimmy's insane weirdo criminal defense work.

Well you're not in luck because there'll be no legal defence at all unless there's a time skip.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Steve2911 posted:

Well you're not in luck because there'll be no legal defence at all unless there's a time skip.

I kinda wish everything before had been a different state so he could believable assume the new identity and pass the bar as saul before his suspension was up but after that hearing I doubt he'd be able to pull that off without being recognised.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Cojawfee posted:

No, now they've just stayed in the same place for three seasons.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No, now they've just stayed in the same place for three seasons.

You don't get it, it's just a slow burn!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sure. This season shows the shift from Half-Measure Mike to Full-Measure Mike.

Half-Measure Mike refused to kill Tuco and believed he could solve the situation non-lethally, which only got him involved further in the Salamanca's business. Instead of going after Hector directly when they threatened his family, Half-Measure Mike went after Hector's business, and inadvertently got an innocent bystander killed because of it. Going after Hector at that point is too-little-too-late and has more to do with Mike's own pride coming back at him than any personal threat Hector poses.

In season 3 Gus offers Mike full measures. If you really want to get revenge against Hector, instead of killing him go all the way and make sure he suffers for his crimes. If you really want to support your family, don't just scrape by with piddly odd jobs. Go all the way and make big money and get all of it for yourself. We even see the side story of Mike with the widow, where he realizes if he's going to get justice for the Samaritan, he's going to go all the way and make sure the Samaritan doesn't just get disappeared. His advice to Nacho echoes this: if you're going to make your own pass at Hector, make sure you don't gently caress it up, make sure it doesn't come back to you.

Mike showing up to Lydia's office is the birth of Full-Measure Mike. He's no longer a former cop that does odd jobs on the side to support his family. He's a criminal with a cover identity. We even see him take ownership of the cover identity Gus offers him when he gives himself the title of "security consultant."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Mike's good enough to not need a lawyer most of the time and Jimmy prefers subtle social engineering over the brute force approach Mike represents.

They have no reason to be interacting most of the time.

• Locked thread